Start by marking “Flower Garden” as Want to Read:
Flower Garden

Flower Garden

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,004 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
“An urban African-American girl and her father buy plants, potting soil, and a window box at the supermarket, ride the bus to their apartment, and put together a colorful gift for the child’s mother. Rhyming verse carries the brief story, while wonderful, warm, full-color illustrations present scenes from novel angles, and depict a loving family with a sense of intimacy, s ...more
Published March 6th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Flower Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flower Garden

Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
A very simple, beautifully illustrated story, told in gentle rhyme, of a young girl and her father embarking on a journey by bus to the grocery store to buy a window flower box. The purpose of the expedition is revealed when Mother walks in the door, carrying schoolbooks, to find the flowers, birthday cake and chocolate ice cream. The book ends with an image of the family cozily looking out the window over the flowers, which present a small oasis of beauty in a gray urban world.

This is a lovely
Hlee Moua
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It has been such a long time since I've read this book and once I re-read the book,I automatically enjoyed it. I love the artworks in this book, the characters and settings looks very realistic and the flowers were so colorful and beautiful. The artist, Kathryn Hewitt did a phenomenal job on the artworks. This book will be a great way to introduce the children different vocabularies and different names of the flowers as well as its colors. The book was a simple read and easy to follow. It also t ...more
Julia
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good read for flower-lovers or mother's day. Beautifully drawn and simple language to describe buying and planting a window garden box for the child's mother.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ378-spring
Text-to-Teaching connection
This books has beautiful colorful pictures and a simple rhyming text. In the classroom it could be used to introduce a topic of spring and growing flowers. The class could discuss the different types of flowers, such as the tulips which grow from a tulip bulb. Then they could plant a flower garden for their school.

In the story the main character plants the flowers for her mother's birthday, but you could also read the story to your class if you are planting a flower fo
June
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents to read with young children
I use this every year in my story time. A wonderful story of a girl and her father making a flower box for their apartment window. I use it for garden or Mothers story times. 2000

I used this for a PJ story time tonight & a mother asked to check it out. 5/22/12

Used this for a gardening story time since I didn't use it for Mother's Day (the fire fighters came for a story time) and I have it in big book format and 2 day cares showed for the preschool story time. 5/13/14

Used in Story Time. 5/12/
Tiffany
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: educ378
Text to Teaching

A response activity for this book could be a science activity where children learn about the parts of a flower. Children can use real flowers to create 3D Art and then label the corresponding parts with leaf, stem, root or flower. The flowers can also be made with play dough or other art material. Also, teachers can include a measuring activity, where children can measure the growth of a flower versus another type. Measurements can be recorded on a weekly basis and observed for
elissa
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous storytime book. I'd probably give it 4 1/2 stars if I could, so I'm rounding up.
Heather
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Cute, sweet, rhyming book - perfect for emerging readers with some challenging vocabulary!
Polly
Very sweet, another "awwww" book for the adults at your story time.
Chato
Book Title: Flowering Garden
Author/Illustrator:Eve Bunting/ Kathryn Hewitt
Reading Level: 2.2
Book Level: k-3

Book Summary: The picture-book paints the story of a young girl buying flowers with her father. She relives the details from picking out the flowers, the journey home, and planting them on the window sill. The best part is who the flowers are for...

Characteristics that support the genre of picture-book is the pictures tell the same story as the text. An emergent reader can follow the story
Rachel Herrington
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book has beautiful illustrations. I enjoyed looking at the pretty pictures of a busy city and quaint flowers at the same time. This book is about a little girl who buys some flowers with her father. You follow her journey through the city, on the train, down the street, until finally she gets home with her garden. They plant the garden in a window sill box, and only at the end will you find out who the flowers were planted for. This is a sweet and simple book that I would love to have in my ...more
Janice Ha
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: social
This book is interesting and simple to teach children about colors, flowers, some bugs, and how to make a surprise. The book also explains the adventure of buying flowers from grocery store to the apartment home. This book is best for children around the age of 4 to 6, because this story can be in big books or regular size books and simple wordings that is not too hard for children to try reading.
Natalie Greaves
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: community
This book has a good rhyming scheme. I like how colorful the pictures are and the style of illustrations. This book would be good to read when discussing community or rhyming. I like how the book describes different places in a community. It also has good directional elements, for example how the garden goes up stairs and on a bus.
Marissa Estrada
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-book-list
I read the big book version of this book. The children love the colors and how big and bright the details are on each page. This book is family-related and engaging for the child as father takes daughter to make something for mother. I enjoyed the pictures as well.
Tameka Johnson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jitters
Sweet simple story with beautiful illustrations! A friends of mine who is a prek teacher ordered this as a memorial book for a student whose mother had recently died. The deceased mother had loved flowers which is something the student told her so I though the story was very appropriate.
Jennifer Kelley
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple, lovely book.
Holli Shipley
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very vibrant and beautiful pictures. The rhyming words make the story flow easily. It covers environment and family. I enjoyed this book.
Mary
Read-Aloud Revival recommendation for April picture books. Doesn't take too long to read, but it still has a full storyline with a family-oriented and thoughtful message.
DeNae
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So simple and sweet, but beautifully done
Verna Leflore
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers, family
A wonderfully illustrated book about a little girl and her father who goes to the market to get a gift for her mother. They purchase a variety of flowers, carries them home on the bus and replants them into a flowerpot and place on the window sill as a surprise for her mom. Can be used to teach teacher about various types of flowers.
Makayla Wooden
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heartfelt-books
This book would be good to read in kindergarten and up classrooms. The illustrations in this book are large and colorful and sure to catch the children's eyes. This would be good as a read aloud. This book is about doing nice things for people that you love. It is a great book and really shows the children about being nice. I would read this book in my classroom.
Molly
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story about a little girl and her father as they make a window box garden to go in their apartment window for her mother's birthday. It has beautiful illustrations and great rhyming. It is a great storytime book.
Michelle
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bunting’s soft lines, warm tones and realistic oil on paper portraiture delight the eye in this gentle, rhyming story of a young girl who brings the joy of gardening to a small inner-city apartment. The excitement quietly builds as we accompany a young African American girl and her father to the store and home again by bus, carrying the ingredients for a special birthday surprise for her mother. The large-print text is minimal, introducing some nice new vocabulary for identifying different types ...more
Linda
Flower Garden by Eve Bunting was one of the sweetest feel-good stories I have ever read. I read it in big book format and believe me, the illustrations originating in oil on paper are as pure and beautiful as the story. We are immediately taken in as the young girl and her father prepare a birthday surprize for the young girl's mother. The story is written in rhyme and flows like a peaceful river. From the moment the couple purchases the flowers at the Green Grocers to the moment the window box ...more
Shaquita
This is a story about a little girl and her father who are going to the market to get a present for her mother's birthday; they get her a window flower garden. Although majority of the colors used in the illustrations are neutral colors, the illustrations are still eye-catching. The illustrations are so realistic that when you look at the expressions on the people's faces you can almost feel the excitement and happiness they are feeling. This book can be used to build characteristics (such as ca ...more
Rachel
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring, multicultural
I really like this book. It is a cute little story with a very sing song style about a little girl and her father making a beautiful little window garden for her mother's birthday. I think the illustrations were great and match up very well with each part of the story. Very nice.
Megan Nelson
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Flower Garden follows a young girl and her father who go to the store to buy groceries, but they also buy flowers. While the little girl carries the box of flowers home, everyone they come in contact with looks at the lovely flowers and admires them; purple pansies, white daisies, daffodils, geraniums, and tulips. The young girl and her father bought the flowers to make a garden for her mother because it is her birthday. Her mother loves the flowers, and they all admire the beautiful little gard ...more
Bryonna Potter
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is rhyme filled and wonderful illustrations that look so realistic. This book can introduce so much new vocabulary for children such as the different types of flowers. It also gives children the steps to making a small garden with flowers from the store. I love that this book shows a little girl spending time with her Dad because most of the time it's a little girl with her mother. At the end you find out that they were creating this flower garden for her Mom's birthday. This is a wond ...more
Miriam Axel-lute
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone reading to kids, children's librarians
This is one of the perhaps few books that is a favorite of both me and my approaching-two year old. It's a sweet story of a girl and her day planting a flower box for her mother's birthday. Nadia loves the last page, when the family looks out the window at the skyline together ("cee-tee"!).

That would really be enough on its own, but it's just a refreshing change to have the background be urban (they carry the groceries home on the bus and live in a walk-up apartment), the girl be home with her d
Frances
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
1.This books is illustrated with lots of vibrant colors.
2.This book provides a lots of new vocabulary regarding gardening that will be great for all children.
3.The story line is beliveable for many students who mak not live in single family home, but all students will be able to relate. This story carries a lot of meaning.

learning Activity

The activity that I would create using this book should take place during the spring/summer. After reading this story the class will be given the opportunity
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • My Garden
  • Jack's Garden
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Feast for 10
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Lola Plants a Garden
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...