Start by marking “B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories

B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories

(B.P.R.D. #2)

This collection of 2003's Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense one-shots kicks of with a goddess imprisoned in a story by Bastard Samurai creative team Miles Gunter and Michael Avon Oeming, joined by series creator Mike Mignola. Guy Davis, artist of the new B.P.R.D. series teams with Brian Augustyn (Gotham by Gaslight). The Flash creative team Geoff Johns and Scott ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 128 pages
Published September 7th 2004 by Dark Horse Books (first published August 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D., Vol. 2

Start your review of B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories
Chad
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is probably the weakest volume of the entire BPRD series, mostly because Mike Mignola had very little involvement. None of the stories are bad, but nor do all of them have that vibe you get from a Mignola comic. There's some big time creators involved before they hit the big time like Geoff Johns and Michael Avon Oeming. The stories are all worth a read for some mindless fun but aren't really representative of the BPRD series as a whole.
Artemy
The second volume of BPRD is a collection of short stories, and it's pretty weak, unfortunately. Most stories here aren't written by Mike Mignola, and it just shows how other writers struggle with characterisation and tone. It's not all bad — The Soul of Venice, Dark Waters and Another Day At The Office are all pretty solid. Unfortunately, the rest of them are just not good. Geoff Johns writes a typical big and dumb Geoff Johns comic in Night Train, and Joe Harris's There's Something Under My ...more
Garrett price
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of 5 BPRD short stories and unfortunately only 2 of them are worth reading. The first story was pretty good and the Lobster Johnston story was good, but the other three were just kind of needless prequel stories.
Mike
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I came to this book with very little information: this series gets as many raves as Hellboy series (whose Mignola work I've loved). So I pretty much expected more tales by Mignola, expanding the universe that Hellboy can't be everywhere at once in.

Which is mostly true - there's definitely more of the universe and supporting characters here - but only a little of this is written by Mignola, and none of it pencilled by him. Instead this is pretty much an anthology of different creative teams'
Bogdan
I knew about Michael Avon Oeming work from his graphic novel, The Powers, and I was familiar with his drawing style. In my opinion here he`s surpassing himself making a great team with the colorist Dave Stewart in the story The soul of Venice that has, in the end, a warm greeting from a Spawn of Hell.

Dark Waters hasn`t such a complex story, but the drawing style looks easy, round and colorful, in short, it`s quite amazing, in a big opposition with the dark & lined style from the usual
Wing Kee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful little collection from many well known industry creators before they were...well...well known.

This second trade is great, it further establishes the Mignolaverse and also with the short little one and done format makes for some fun and creative tales here. This is exactly what I love so much about the BPRD:

World: Art, let's start there, it's mostly amazing. The thing with art, it's fairly subjective and in most cases I found the art awesome. I love Oeming and Guy Davis is one of my
Otherwyrld
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, graphic-novel
Volume 2 of the series gives us five separate short stories. There are vampire in Venice (wasn't that a Doctor Who story?) and an ancient Roman Goddess of the sewers, a Salem Witches story and a quest for redemption for three innocent women condemned to die, a ghost train story featuring Lobster Johnson, a story of monsters under the bed who steal children, and finally zombies in Moldavia. All are investigated and solved in short order by the B.P.R.D. team of Liz Sherman, Abe Sapien, Roger the ...more
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Well...ummm...yeah. After thoroughly enjoying both B.P.R.D. Vol. 1: Hollow Earth, as well as Hellboy Vol. 1: Seed Of Destruction, my Mignola train hit an unfortunate slow spot with B.P.R.D. Vol. 2: The Soul Of Venice. Much sadness ensued.

This is the second of the collected B.P.R.D. comics, containing 5 individual tales of various quality and length. While The Soul Of Venice is the title story, I don't feel that it's necessarily the strongest tale in the collection. But then, I can't really think
Sesana
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
Short stories, not all created equal. The Soul of Venice and Dark Water are solid stories that could easily end up on "favorite BPRD stories" lists. The others are mostly meh. Nothing terrible, mind you, they're just decent.
Amy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comic-books
Meh. That's all I've got for this. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. I feel like a lot of the stories in here has good idea's behind them, but there's never enough time to explore those ideas with only a few pages of story. The entire thing just comes off feeling shallow.

Matthew Brady
Feb 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow, this was kind of awful. The stories here were all really bad attempts to cram the BPRD into some other genre, like X-Files paranormal investigation (which seems like it would be a good focus for the BPRD, but ends up working less well than the apocalyptic threats and mythological forces that Hellboy fights) or lame superhero angst. I would say that it has become obvious that Mike Mignola needs to be the main creative force behind the Hellboy-verse, but even the stories he wrote or co-wrote ...more
seb smith
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-papercopy, comics
The stories in the second volume of B.P.R.D. definitely are not as solid as in The Hollow Earth. You can tell that the team is still putting out its feelers, trying to find the right artist to helm the series. This volume has ups and downs, but the best story in my opinion is by the artist who they will ultimately choose to draw the series. You could actually skip this volume if you wanted and head straight for the spectacular Plague of Frogs.
Isaac Timm
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
Like volume 1 of these collection I found the stories and plots really interesting but I thought more time could have been spent on each story, some could have filled a whole collection just on its own. Amazing art, and experimentation with other writers makes these collections worth a read.
Ctgt
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Really enjoy the art style, but a couple of the shorter stories didn't do much for me. I know it kicks into gear with the next volume.
Scott Firestone
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
None of the stories in this volume grabbed me. You can easily skip this and you won't be missing a thing.
Spencer
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This wasn't as good as the first volume, the stories seemed quite lazily written, although I did enjoy quite a bit of the art!
Brendan
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a followup to the first book it is slightly unfocused but that is the nature of short stories. I still found the stories to be interesting and much like Hellboy the strength always lies with the full detailed storylines. The Soul of Venice is the longest and best of the stories, they no doubt came from dark horse presents or some other short story form. I just wanted more after the first spinoff and this was slightly underwhelming.
Elijah
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm starting this series a little out of order thanks to a snafu with the inter-library requests. So far I think I'd prefer to see a BPRD series from Amazon or Netflix over a new set of Hellboy movies.
Koen Claeys
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I remembered this second trade to be weak and memory served me well. The artwork on most of these short stories is pretty good....but the writing is so damn lazy. I would advise to skip this TPB, nothing worth your time...
A Dormaus
A delightful entry into the BPRD canon. Nice mix of story themes. Especially enjoyed a little bit of humor.
Tom
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A collection of small stories featuring characters in the Hellboy universe. Different artists and writers for these stories. Each has its own flavor, especially with the distinct drawing styles.
Leanne
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, horror
These shorts are fun to read, but I really prefer the larger storyline instead.
Diego Rodríguez
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Good tales, but not the best in Hellboy universe.
Mike
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
It still feels like BPRD is lacking something Hellboy had in spades - I'm not sure if it's the loss of Mignola or what.
Ronald
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was fun. Just a bunch of short stories. Each story was good in its own way. Nothing to really move the Hellboy universe story along if that is what you were looking.
Robert Hudder
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Different artists make you see different things about the characters. The choices are illuminating. A series of short stories to keep expanding and developing the characters.
Michael T. Christensen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Again, this still feels a bit procedural, but these are fun characters exploring this world.
Sean Goh
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Has more of the goosebumps vibe rather than the lovecraftian horror that characterises Hellboy universe stories, but still an enjoyable read.
Nathan Sizemore
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
69/100

I'm not really crazy about any of the shorter pieces in this but the art is nice.
Clint
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought Dark Waters was a good read, but the other stories in here lackluster.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories