Start by marking “The Girl in the Picture” as Want to Read:

The Girl in the Picture

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  2,565 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
Two women. One house. Centuries of secrets

East Sussex Coast, 1855

Violet Hargreaves is the lonely daughter of a widowed industrialist, and an aspiring Pre-Raphaelite painter. One day, the naïve eighteen-year-old meets Edwin; a mysterious and handsome man on the beach, who promises her a world beyond the small costal village she’s trapped in. But after ignoring warning abo
Published September 20th 2017 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Picture

Melisa
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg my heart, what a story 💔💔💔 this one is going to stick with me for a long time. I just took a look on Amazon, and this book is available there on Kindle for 99 cents right now, and I dare say that’s a 99 cents well spent. review to come.

Copy provided by Netgalley, thank you!
Evie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in the Picture by Kerry Barrett is a poignant story of a love affair that should've never been. This is one of those books that are hard to put down once you start.

I knew I was hooked when I flipped to page 2. The story revolves around a 150 years old crime that no one's been able to solve. There are lies and deceit, a failed love affair, and a wife who feels sorry for her husband's mistress and decides to help her with what little she can.

There are so many twists and turns the reader d
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Please be advised, trigger warning for sexual assault and physical abuse.

When Ella and her husband decide to take the jump and move her family out of the city into a small town into a house on a cliff, the last thing Ella expected was the house to be tied to an unsolved murder case that happened 150 years ago. Upon finding a beautiful self portrait of a young woman who may have lived in the house a hundred years ago, Ella cannot help but immerse herself in the mysterious murder and the disappe
Nessa
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've not read any of this authors books before but having read the blurb and loving the book cover, it didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to read this book.

It didn't take me long to be drawn into the stories of both Violet back in 1855 and that of Ella in present day, I was captivated right from the first few chapters. I loved how the story went back and forth from 1855 to present day which was done so seamlessly.

It was a truly emotional and heartfelt read, all of the characters were
Carolyn
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: barrett-kerry
What a great find! Very enjoyable, sad, poignant murder/mystery book involving the occupants of one house 150 years apart. A real page-turner!

4.5
Nancy Baker
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That was a short but attention grabbing read. Passing seamlessly between a present day story and one from 1855, a mystery slowly and methodically unfolds before your eyes that grabbed my attention full throttle until the end.

Violet is a young woman in 1855 living with her father on the seashore and both have never truly revived from the loss of Violet's mother when she was but 5. Deep seated resentment on both their parts has built an invisible wedge between them. Violet's only goal in life is
Mistress  #darklings
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book i've read by Kerry Barrett, and i'm so excited that i have now found another fabulous author! Upon finishing this, the first thing i did (after catching my breath) was go to Amazon and purchase her previous novels. Yes, it is THAT good!
The girl in the picture is one of those books that combines aspects of my favourite genres, historical fiction and a bit of mystery thrown in.
In the present day we meet Ella and her family. On a whim and gut instinct they pack up their live
Helen
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a book is put in the same league as Kate Morton, it has quite a bit too live up too! ‘The Girl in the Picture’, is quite impressive in delivering the necessary plot twists and I would safely recommend it to all fans of this genre. This is the first Kerry Barrett book I have read and it will not be my last. Always a literary challenge to write a dual timeline narrative, Kerry masterfully alternates between Ella in the present, to Violet in 1885 in a seamless, easy to follow and intriguing ta ...more
Under the Covers Book Blog
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
East Sussex Coast 2016 - Ella Daniels has given up her safe life as an accountant to pursue her career as a thriller writer full time. So, her and her family have moved from London to the coast on a house overlooking the sea. However, Ella soon hears the rumours of a mysterious murder and a missing girl and she can't concentrate on her new novel until she gets to the  bottom of the tragic case.

East Sussex Coast 1886 - Eighteen year old Violet Hargraves aspires to be a painter, however, her fath
Sara Beggs
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any book that can leave me a weepy mess deserves five stars.
Jackleen
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author but it will not be the last.
J.M. Powers
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love dual time period books; but they must be intricately woven to keep me interested.

The Girl in the Picture by Kerry Barrett does not disappoint. In addition to the historical aspect, the mystery is believable and intriguing.

Ella, is the present day main character while Violet’s life is reflected during the mid 1800’s. The mystery revolves around the disappearance of Violet. Something the villagers still talk about 150 years later.

The uncanny parallel lives are what hooks Ella’s heartstring
Alina
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sensational, mysterious and outstanding novel by Kerry Barrett! I am kicking myself for not reading this book months earlier. From the moment I was introduced to our three heroines Ella, Frances and Violet - I was glued to their stories.

A horrific accident takes place on a warm evening of September 1855 in a quiet and small town of Sussex. Frances and Edwin Forrest are attacked in front of the family home, in the result - Edwin is found dead, heavily beaten Frances survives, and so is her unborn
Diane
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because of the dual time line, the intriguing unfolding mystery, and the many things that the main character and the girl in the picture have in common. The story started out a little slow at first but it quickly became a compelling mystery filled with greed, violence and manipulation that kept me guessing right through to the end of the book. In present time Ella Daniels has left her job and the hustle and bustle of London for a historic seaside home where she plans to becom ...more
Janelle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the mystery in this book, it was really the only thing that kept me reading. From the very beginning I really disliked Ella, the present day character. She was rude and mean to the people around her and her husband was constantly coddling her, so as to make sure she was happy above everyone else. I just found her self-centered character unlikeable and hard to care about or connect with. I did enjoy reading the Violet and Francis chapters and felt they helped to advance the story, but t ...more
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a true fan of historical fiction and this book hit all the buttons. Mixing modern day and the past in a way to allow the dreamer in me float back an forth seamlessly. The mystery that developed throughout the book created a great connection between the characters and it's resolution left the story satisfied and resolved. It was a good reminder that while not all endings are happy, there is always silver lining.
Taylor
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

WHEW! talk about DRAMA!!!! this poor girl marries the wrong man and chaos ensues in her life. She wanted change and she definitely got it! I love the time difference aspect, as a woman from the present decides she wants to get involved in a 160 year old crime!

I could not put this book down! This is one of the very few mystery books that I enjoyed and would read again!
Salomé
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This is strictly light, popular fiction. The writing isn't amazing but I have to admit it isn't terrible either. I took a chance on a completely unknown author and definitely found this to be an enjoyable read.
Ann
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mystery intrigue parallel time travel

Well written. Nice pace. Good reading for leisure. Lovable dual heroines. History mixed with present day, what happened before our time to influence the future
Kathy Sandlin
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this book. It was quick and it was interesting from the start. I had a few guesses how this one would end and none of them were right!
Holly
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, but an excellent mystery. The duel time periods was well paced so I didn't get bored with either era. This is a story that will stick with me.
Debra Reedy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good! Well written and held my interest from beginning to end.
Jo Weiss
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The mystery of The Girl in the Picture is tightly wound and slowly unravels. It is an excellent read with rounded characters that draw you into the story.
Marie
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great vacation read. I enjoy the ‘timeslip’ style - back and forth between present and past. It reminded me of Kate Morton books (which are great) and a little of Phyliss Whitney.
poppie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Quite atmospheric and had me gripped to the very end. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Jan Summers
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Karen Whittard
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishers and Kerry Barrett for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

Don't you just love it when you get an email from a publisher letting you know that you have been auto approved for a book? I know I do.

The events of this book all take place in a beautiful seaside house in East Sussex. The time frame is present day and 1855. I love books that flip between decades. Sometimes it can get confusing. But this books sets out the timeline really well b
RoloPoloBookBlog
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in the Picture by Kerry Barrett
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Ella Daniels has never been a risk taker. In fact, Ella Daniels has always chosen the safe route, the path which virtually ensures safety. That is, until she sees the Cliff House and makes the decision to pack her bags and her family, leave her safe job and London, to become a full-time writer. Little does she know, her first ever risk is going to lead her straight into a 150-year-old mystery and the book of a lifetime.
Faouzia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I have read many books recently with this "Girl" theme, some were good and others not that good. Fortunately for me, this one was a really good story. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Ella Daniels just moved with her family to an old house in a small village in the Sussex. Being a thriller writer, it took only a small, unaccounted for window in the attic to make her start investigating the story of the house. And it turned out that a tragedy was attached to it. A 150 years old mstery: 2 murders, an at
Jamie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars for the writing, but 5 stars for the mystery. I usually figure things out before the end, but this one had a great twist!
This isn't really a love story, it is about two women at two different time periods, who live in the same house.
Ella is the modern day protagonist who is trying to unlock the key to the murder-mystery of the house she is renting off the coast of Sussex.
Violet lived in the house in the year 1855. She is an aspiring artist in a time when it was not proper for a woman

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
  • Word of Honor
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
“could see that. But I had to admit the composition and the colours were all Millais’s. I’d added my own twist,” 0 likes