Start by marking “The Honeymoon Cottage (Pajaro Bay, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Honeymoon Cottage (Pajaro Bay, #1)

The Honeymoon Cottage

(Pajaro Bay #1)

Camilla Stewart's ex-fiance ripped her off and disappeared, leaving her to care for his eight-year-old son alone. But when she arrives in Pajaro Bay, she finds a village full of cute cottages, quirky characters... and a killer on the loose who's somehow linked to her, the young boy, and the darling little house known as The Honeymoon Cottage.

The Pajaro Bay stories are fil
Published April 17th 2017 (first published March 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Honeymoon Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honeymoon Cottage

Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
There's nothing that disappoints me more in a book than it not causing me any feelings. I'd rather hate the characters or be outraged at the things happening (at least I'd be able to rant about it and maybe experience some catharsis) than just.. not give a damn about anything.

There was nothing overly wrong with The Honeymoon Cottage, it was just bland. It didn't start off so bad; we meet Camilla and the little kid she's looking out for after his father ripped her off and abandoned Oliver. I tho
Mary
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this one for free on a website somewhere....so I probably shouldn't complain....it sounded kind of cute. It was really kind of dopey. I almost put it away a few times but I wanted to finish it. The premise was interesting.. Camilla is on the run with young Oliver, having been scammed out of money by her fiancée Dennis and accused of embezzlement by her employer. She goes to the sleepy little town of Pajaro Bay and moves into a charming little cottage that Dennis had purchased for her (he ...more
Cheryl
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star mystery romance with a happy ending.
Sandee
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ereader
I enjoyed this story. Two broken people trying to solve a mystery while learning and growing to overcome their pasts. I especially liked that each became a healthier person though their own experience. Otherwise it is a cute cozy.
Jo-Anne
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really liked this romantic suspense. Barbara Cool Lee is a very illustrative writer making it easy to picture the events taking place. The book is a great read and definitely captures the reader in the story line, but that wouldn't work if she didn't have good characters. Ryan and Camilla are such likable individuals that you can't help but root for them. Camilla's ex stole her money, embezzled from her company making it look like she did it and left. But he didn't take his young son, Oliver. ...more
Joan
I loved this! It's more than a bit of froth, and certainly not a 'steamy, hot romance' ( I hate reading that in a blurb - it always makes me think of books like FSoG). This is a pretty solid romance/mystery with believable characters and some excellent conflict to keep the reader engaged.

The first thing I really appreciated was the inclusion, under the copyright, of the date the book was originally published. That is something I think should be done as a matter of course. I've read a couple of e
Anna
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've come to the conclusion that the books with the best reviews tend to leave me cold --- they're just a bit boring (too mainstream). Ones with mixed reviews, like this book, are far more likely to suck me in and keep me happy.

I can't really explain what separates books like this from the ones I stop reading after a couple of chapters. If I described the plot, they'd sound the same. But The Honeymoon Cottage has that spark of life that many books lack, plus a heroine dealing with a con-man ex a
Leanne Keenan
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable quirky read

Have to say I never write reviews but this book was thoroughly enjoyable. I fell in love with the characters and transported myself to this lovely quaint town. Not to mention wasn't expecting the twist. Really satisfied with this read. I will continue to read the series.
Joy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and it kept me turning pages just to see what will happen next.
Julian White
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
2017 ebook edition from Pajaro Bay Publishing; ASIN B0190LLDKA; cover kindle edition 2017

Romance/mystery - not entirely all sweetness and light but more upbeat than depressing. A light read.
Elaine
I was a little unsure about this book at first but the more I read the more I started to enjoy it. Camilla and her eight year old step-son Oliver have arrived in Pajaro Bay to make a fresh start after Dennis, her fiancé and father to Oliver, disappeared out of their lives leaving a trail of problems, debts and accusations behind him. Their predicament touches the heart of Police Officer Ryan Knight who is determined to help them and get to the bottom of Dennis’ disappearance.

The story can be rea
Amber Jones
Running is what Camila does best. Running from her past, running from her present, and trying to avoid a happy future.

The first book in this series leaves a little bit to be desired...a better proofread is one of those desires. I'm not someone who always notices errors, but I noticed these.

The plot of the story was decent, but not executed in the best manner. Brooding guy quickly falls in love with a damsel in distress. damsel fights brooding guy because she feels she is a criminal because of
Peg
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery, but if you want people reading your series I would suggest that you don't put in that page that will irritate the hell out of them. You know the one where you ask if they want a free book, but you really don't give them one, you just make it impossible to get off that page.
Julia Stephanie
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute little read with a fairly decent mystery, reasonably likable characters, a quaint little town and a sweet little HEA. However, it wasn't really my style. Parts felt forced, rushed, and incomplete. Probably won't continue with the series.
Penandra
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deborah Thompson
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
What can I say about this book? It was an enjoyable short read that helped me past the time. However I didn’t really connect with the characters very much. The story line was intriguing but I felt a disconnect between the characters. When I read a story I try to visualize the way the characters look but it was hard for me to get a defining image of them in my head. I also felt the characters weren’t developed as much as they could have been. The ending was also cliche. Like I said before it was ...more
Lisa Crenshaw
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The characters are well developed as well as likable and relatable. And the author nailed the main characters with very realistic issues. Camilla and Ryan both suffer from self image problems. They spend too much focused on self and on perceptions they assume others have that they do not really get close with anyone. These two struggling souls find each other and something about the other causes guards to go down and a true personality shine through.

This book was also enjoyab
Lea Carter
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean
Camilla is in dire straits when she meets Ryan. Insecurities nearly drive her nuts as she tries to wrap her mind around Ryan's over-protective nature.
Ryan's own insecurities nearly drive them apart as they each grow during the course of the story.
The story covers so much! Bits and pieces of both of their pasts are naturally sprinkled throughout, revealing their individual complexities and cunningly adding to the mystery. The conclusion caught me off-guard, in more than one way. It didn't happe
Brittany
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book and the twists. It was exactly what it said it would be, a good beach read, a cozy little mystery, and a short read. I'll definately read more by this author to see how the town of Pajaro Bay turns out because now I'm intrigued!
It was a cute read, making you want friends like the heart- warming characters found in the Honeymoon Cottage. I'm so glad this wasn't a gushy romance novel. Written well in my opinion, with enough action and building relationships to keep me reading.

Th
Kelli L Hastings
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth every minute

I cried, laughed, got frustrated all in one book! It was a story like nothing I had ever read! It made me think of my own life. Camilla, Ryan and Oliver were destined to be together. Many readers will also relate to Camilla's struggle with finding her own strength and self. Ryan too, searches and finds his strengths and weaknesses. Oliver, the little boy who needs love and to understand he is important. Break down the shell you're hiding inside and read this wonderful book!!! L
Diane Burton
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charming but deadly. As if Camilla didn't have enough on her plate, someone is trying to kill her. Her boyfriend ditched her after stealing from her and her employer and setting her up to take the fall. Not only that, but he left her to take care of his son. The characters are well done, esp. the boy whose words of wisdom are haunting. Poor kid. The sheriff can't wait for the 2 weeks until he can leave the town with its reminders of his loss. Camilla brings him out of his despair. The clues were ...more
Kathleen Booker
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read

Camilla grew up with con man for dad and her mother was hateful bitter woman who done a number on her self esteem. After changing her name and working her way thru college she was doing good in good job and a con man takes her for a ride and she ends up arrested for his crime. She gets out of jail and finds he has left his little boy for her to take care of. She ends up meeting cop and he discovers her and Oliver are in danger . in the end he saves her and she saved him also.
Kathy Zuercher Diveley
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Camilla and Ryan

Ryan is the captain of the Pajaro police. Camilla is a lady on the run from her ex-fiance, who took all her money and the payroll from her employer. Plus he left his 8 year old son in her care. Both Camilla, Ryan and Oliver are damaged from parental relationships. As they fall for each other, they help each other to heal and love again. Ryan tries to protect Camilla and Oliver from someone who's trying to kill them. Great story of redemption and love.
Tom Williams
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good look at life

If you accept the idea that one of our goals in life is to become as good as we can be, this story helps to show that we all need help sometimes, and need to be willing to help others. However, we can not make others do what we think is best; we can only offer help. This story shows several examples where people had to wait until a person wa ready to make a change.
Linda Fore
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Camilla and eight-year-old Oliver arrive in Pajaro Bay, they have an empty gas tank and an empty wallet. Are they running from or to something? Will the lessons Camilla learns about her life and the lies she has been told until she was 18 years old enable her to start again in a place where people know her secrets? This is a delightful book about learning to love yourself so that you can love someone else, learning to turn loose of the lies, trust again, and walk in the light.
Neena Christianson Martin
Running away never really solves anything.

Camilla comes to town with her adopted son to restore and sell an old house, so they can go somewhere and start over. With legal troubles she just wants to stay below the radar but as soon as they hit town she's thrown into the path of the town cop. Pajaro Bay and its residents have a way of taking over peoples lives and shoving them in the right direction.
gloria marquardt
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that continues to grow on you until the end.

Most mysteries I have solved within half the book or before. This one surprised me. Right up until the end. Camille and Ryan kept developing and growing throughout the book without boring me to tears. Another surprise. Oliver, a troubled child should have been unpleasant and a distraction. Another surprise. I'm short, I loved this book.
Diane
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love All the Little Intricacies!

Such a wonderful story & I have a feeling that the rest of the books in the series are just as good! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the unique houses & they were detailed in such a great way that I can sit here & picture it right in front of me. An awesome job in describing the characters & her attention to detail made for such an enjoyable time reading the book!
Malgorzata Wilk
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really different from what I expected. Yes, it is a cozy mystery but it is also way more. It's about being true to yourself, being honest about yourself, not letting others determine your life, admitting that you are allowed to ask for help and that you are only human and not perfect. After all, nobody's perfect. And as Human League put it so well: I'm only human, born to make mistakes.
And the mystery was a lot of fun, too. I wasn't expecting such an ending.
Sandra
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
2.5 stars. Meh it was ok. Many will find it heartwarming romance as two damaged people with lots of baggage and an adorable little boy (also with baggage) learn to overcome their issues and find love. Sadly both Ryan and Camilla annoyed me as they spent the entire book wallowing in their respective damage before FINALLY (like pretty much the final chapter finally) they have and 'aha' moment as they realise what was slapping them (and the reader) in the face from about chapter 3.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Lily Does Sweden
  • With Cruel Intent
  • Scrappy Cupcake Angels (Wattle Lane, #1)
  • Last-Minute Love
  • Sand Dollar: A Story of Undying Love
  • Broken Build (Chance for Love, #1)
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • Rosethorn
  • The Weight of Glass
  • Behind the Rake's Wicked Wager
  • Dayclean
  • Captive in the Spotlight
  • Secret Seduction (Secret , #1)
  • Playing Havoc
  • Main Attraction (Perfectly Wicked, # 1)
  • Burning Embers
  • Hit or Missus (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #2)
  • The Gift of Stoppage Time
Barbara Cool Lee is the author of the Pajaro Bay Mysteries, as well as a fantasy series called The Deeds of the Ariane. You can learn more at http://BarbaraCoolLee.com

Pajaro Bay (5 books)
  • Under the Boardwalk
  • In Deep Water (Pajaro Bay, #3)
  • Driving Ms. Maisy
  • Dashing Through the Surf (A Pajaro Bay Mystery Book 5)
“You are what you make of yourself, Camilla. It's up to you to define yourself. Don't let others do it for you.” 1 likes