Start by marking “Protocol Zero (Joe Rush, #2)” as Want to Read:
Protocol Zero (Joe Rush, #2)

Protocol Zero

(Joe Rush #2)

Marine doctor and bio-terror expert Joe Rush returns in an electrifying new arctic adventure… ”sure to wow fans of Michael Crichton and James Rollins” (Mark Greaney, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Tom Clancy Full Force and Effect).

When authorities in Alaska receive a disturbing call from a teenage girl, their investigation leads them to discover an entire family
Published August 4th 2015 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Protocol Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protocol Zero

L.A. Starks
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Alaskan setting is truly a major character in this thriller. The author knows the region--finally, a more complex view of the companies and people that operate there instead of stick figures. The energy company is not the standard sloppily-written villain and the Native Americans are portrayed with a judiciousness and thoughtfulness that is realistic Well worth reading--my only complaint is that the author chose not to use his real name.
J
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amvi, arc, thriller
James Abel's follow up to White Plague, which was a decent thriller, has sophomore slump syndrome. There are times when the plot stops while Joe Rush, our supposed intrepid hero/bio investigator, does little more than repeat the things we do and don't know that have already happened. Then the credibility goes from almost plausible to shark jumping. Rush goes as the plot goes, too. I was bored most of the time with this latest Joe Rush novel. I felt White Plague at least had the biological scare ...more
Ray Palen
James Abel's previous Joe Rush novel was a decent thriller --- trying hard to be like Brad Thor, Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy (among others). His most recent effort, entitled PROTOCL ZERO, provided nearly zero thrills and a writing style that I found amateurish and often inaccessible.

This was disappointing as I had high hopes and really enjoy these type of novels. It was well over 100 pages before anything of substance happens. The rest of those pages were filled with weak characters and a ve
Leah
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An arctic thriller with elements of espionage, environmental issues, native life, military presence, political implications, and threats to human survival. Totally captivating tale.
Dindy
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, vine
This could have been a good book and concept but the author, James Abel, had problems with follow through on plot lines he set up. Actually, he had problems with the set up on some things. There were far too many characters to keep track of and who just didn't seem to contribute anything. Abel tried to set them up as red herrings, but there were too many, and he didn't develop them enough to do so. The main protagonist, Joe Rush, has a best friend and partner, Eddie, who despite being Joe's part ...more
Robert Jr.
this was an interesting book in that it killed off a character I really hated to see go, but made the main character seek revenge for. Was well written overall except for the one point i really disliked.
Tony Blenman
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Rush, marine doctor and bio-terror expert, is called to investigate what appears to be a murder/suicide of a research family and their guide in an Alaskan community. Joe and his colleague/friend, Eddie, discovered more than a cut and dry murder/suicide. An infectious disease threatened the entire community, which once contracted, and symptoms appear, death is inevitable. Joe identifies the disease, gets General Homza to quarantine the community, but Joe is suspected of causing the disease. I ...more
John Wiltshire
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story, a great follow-up to the first in the series. Set in an isolated Arctic settlement in Alaska, a strange and terrifying series of deaths set Protocol Four in motion: the military quarantine of the town. Colonel Joe Rush, doctor and marine, is in the town with his fiancee Karen, a few months away from early retirement and marriage. Knowing all the players, he's co opted by the local police to help investigate the deaths. Anyone could be a suspect or a victim.
This is a
RJ
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our protagonist Joe Rush; the Marines answer to a doctor/bio-weapons specialist/special forces operator all wrapped up in one of the youngest full bird colonels on the planet. He’s also operating in a part of the country that flies by its own guidelines and its people follow their own structured and unique rules. Rush and his partner (Major) Eddie are called to examine the bodies of what looked like a murder-suicide, but things are not always as they seem. Further deaths and investigations revea ...more
Glen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Scherping
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It had a unique setting and an intriguing plot. The only part I didn't understand was how, after his finance's murder, Joe had almost no reaction other than some initial sadness. Instead he immediately developed a scheme that would allow him to continue to search for the person who was spreading rabies, including playing an obnoxious drunk at a party.
Stephanie Williams
Not as good as the first book. It was slow starting, and there were a few glaring mistakes and typos.
I understand it's fiction, but basics like time zones (the east coast is not behind Alaska) should be correct.
Howard Green
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i found this a great read and will want to read more of Abel's works. The locale of the story was appealing and the culture it encompassed. I was intrigued by the storyline and the ending was satisfying.
Chris
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska, virus
Decent read for an audiobook. Liked the remote location and learning more about the Alaskan wilderness way of life. Decent enough story, although maybe not enough action until the end. And then the ending, tracking down Friday to Europe was a little reaching.
Jessica
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xandria
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to the first book. Enjoyable to read, but again, the ending was written in a lacklustre way. Still... as there are few books that deal with virus etc., I'm inclined to read the 3rd.
Allen
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. There is some swearing in it, that I don't appreciate. Otherwise I loved it and would give it 5 stars.
Susan Heim
Just a basic thriller. Didn't realize when I chose this one that it was the second in a series but it read fine as a stand alone and I needed a "Z" book for my reading A-Z list.
Gayle L. Howie-Ison
Scary stuff because of the possibilities.
Spenser
Interesting story. Took a long time to get going and then the rush to finish towards the end.
Solitarius Lupus
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the structure of the plot of this second novel was better, I enjoyed WHITE PLAGUE more.
Jerry King
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2015
BarbaraH
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling book of Alaska
A teen girl calls asking for help as her family is sick out in the middle of nowhere
It soon turns into much more with Government forces trying to hold back a epidemic they need to stop a life or death disaster before it
Kelleen
I liked it. It had great flashbacks to previous books, and good show of relationships between characters. Dream sequences were occasionally weird, but fit with the character's state of mind.

I really enjoyed learning more about quarantine procedure and the tension it creates was well integrated into the story, without clouding the main plot.
Anna Marie
Penguin First ARC.

Dr. Joe Rush is back in a second installment, shortly after the end of the first. He is in Alaska to see if due to global warming any of the military nuclear or bioweapon tests or dump sites from 70 years ago have caused disease, mutations, or illnesses in the local population.No problems seems to be showing up, so he thinks that they ( Eddie Nakamura; his coworker and friend, Karen Vleska; his fiancee and the nuclear sub expert from book 1, and himself) will be leaving soon.

Th
Beth
Protocol Zero is a mildly interesting thriller set in the icy North Slope of Alaska. Marine Colonel Joe Rush and Major Eddie Nakamura are doctors stationed in Barrow, AK, tasked with exploring the possibility dormant remnants of bio-warfare diseases previously developed and tested in the Arctic could be unleashed by global warming.

Just two months before the end of this mission and his retirement, Rush is asked by local authorities to investigate the alleged murder-suicide of family of three by
Keith Hoar
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very hard to read. Written primarily in first person, but switches back forth to third person. Littered with short sentence fragments. Contains unnecessary vulgarity.
Linda Munro
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via a goodreads.com give-away.

Colonel Joe Rush is a Marine and bio-terrorist specialist. His new job takes him to the arctic, where he is sent to review the possibility that bio-weapons once made/or used in the area some 70 years prior have not been reactivated by warming temperatures. Looking forward to his upcoming nuptials, Rush instead finds himself in the middle of a mystery when local law enforcement receive a disturbing call from a teenaged girl who is working with he

• Final Target (Graham Gage #1)
  • Ashes to Water
  • Asylum City
  • Too Bad to Die
  • Secrets of State
  • Du
  • Signature Kill (Frank Behr #4)
  • A Little More Free (Eddie Dougherty Mystery #2)
  • The Stolen Ones (Stevens & Windermere, #4)
  • Moonlight Falls (Richard "Dick" Moonlight #1)
  • Fatal Thunder (Jerry Mitchell, #5)
  • Blue Warrior (Troy Pearce #2)
  • The Starling Project
  • Pinnacle Event (Ray Bowman, #2)
  • Cold Barrel Zero (John Hayes, #1)
  • Death Will Have Your Eyes
  • Puppet Master (Puppet Master #1)
  • Tre Hundes Nat
James Abel is the pseudonym for Bob Reiss an accomplished author and a journalist who has written extensively about the Arctic. He lives and works in New York City

Joe Rush (4 books)
  • White Plague (Joe Rush, #1)
  • Cold Silence (Joe Rush, #3)
  • Vector (Joe Rush, #4)