Start by marking “Walter's Wonderful Web” as Want to Read:
Walter's Wonderful Web

Walter's Wonderful Web

Walters Wonderful Web
Published February 10th 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published August 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Walter's Wonderful Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walter's Wonderful Web

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Great book that will teach children that you have to keep trying even if you become discouraged.
A Baker's Dozen 2017

Maybe it's the naturalist in me, but this has to be my favorite book about shapes. It's books like this that makes me so appreciative of authors that can take a topic that has been used in every sort if way, yet, they have created something fresh and original that even us adults will love. Super cute. My two year old loved it.
Samuel Tyler
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A staple of any early sharing library is a book about shapes. Love them or hate them, you are going to be reading a lot of books that talk about circles, triangles and squares. Making shapes appealing to a young toddler or baby is one thing, but what about the poor adult? Are there not any books out there that have a bit of a story as well as talk about shapes? Usually I would not condone spiders, but in the case of a spider called Walter, I may just be able to stomach them as he combines shapes ...more
Chelsea
A delightful book that will educate your children on shapes and perseverance. I appreciated how this book showed that if you try and try again, you can persevere and succeed. While showing children what perseverance is, this book subtly educates children about shapes as well. I believe that children will love this book and I cannot wait to read this during a story time or program at the library; I can picture it now!

+Book
+List
Desiree
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter's wonderful web is a great story about never giving up. Walter tries many times to build a web that will be strong enough to withstand the windy forest. He tries many shapes to come up with his sturdiest creation. The book introduces kids to shapes and invites the readers to guess what shape walter will create next. Great book for preschoolers.
Shandra
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Walter's webs are wibby-wobbly until he learns to combine shapes. This is a very sweet book, featuring both shapes and determination! This would be great for a storytime on shapes. This would lend itself well to flannel board play, too, which I don't tend to do. Maybe I should...
Juliana Lee
Walter's wobbly webs keep getting blown away by the wind. He tries building triangle webs, square webs, rectangle webs, diamond webs, and circle webs, but they all get blown away. Then Walter builds a wonderful web... one with all the shapes included.
Meredith
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable. Will build a PreK shapes lesson around this.
L
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The spider builds his web over and over again which provides a great introduction to shapes. Yet it is also an inspiring book about not giving up and finding a solution.
Awjtf
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
very cute book!
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Tim Hopgood's concept books are great for toddler storytime. I love his bright, bold, fun illustrations.
Vicki
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
A great lesson on shapes "woven" into this book about Walter who will not give up on building the perfect spider web. Lovely art work.
Jennifer Miera
Nice little story introducing shapes.
Liz
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, picture-books
This picture book is great introduction to shapes. It's a bit too long for toddler storytime, but would be a great fit for preschool.
Jillian
Nice idea, big and bold illustrations that will be easy for kids to follow.

It was missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. A smidge more substance, maybe? It did get a little repetitive, and I also kept wondering why (especially as Walter gained more confidence) his webs would always be destroyed and none of the other spiders' were. But this is a book on shapes, and not engineering.
Braelyn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concept. 2016. Walter's Wonderful Web is a great book for introducing or reviewing shapes in elementary grades. To build a strong web, Walter has to figure out which shape(S) make the best web. Walter never gives up on building his web which I would make sure to point out when reading this story again with kids.
Brenda Lower
This was a great lead into a simple craft- I gave out darker blue paper and had the kids draw their own webs with white crayons. You could complicate it more (additional colors, pre-cut shapes), but today it worked great.
Brooke
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bugs, shapes, art, lapsit
I did this at lapsit with foam shapes. The kids did much better with their shapes than I thought they would. There was some confusion between squares & rectangles (I skipped over diamonds), but it's a good thing for them to learn.
Kerry
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for preschool story time on shapes or spiders. Love Tim Hopgood for my preschool crowd.
David
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shapes
KAREN S. WILLIAMS
Great Shape book

This is an excellent book to work with shapes. You can also use this book for sequencing. Children will love Walter.
susan nolan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool
use with shape cut outs
Allison
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book about shapes! Walter is *adorable*.
Leslie Renn
The illustrations are fun and energetic and the story is very engaging. It was a fresh take on a story about shapes and determination.
Jenna Mills
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
A great way to integrate shapes into a story. Like the moral about persistence too.
Lisa D
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great way for kids to learn shapes
Colorado Buck
wonderful read on shapes, spiders, resilience, interactive, would be good for preschool storytime. can ask them questions like what shape is this?
Dana Zielke
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The shapes were a big hit!
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, picture, storytime
Cute, a little didactic, but on purpose, making it good for storytime
Gina
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a simple introduction to shapes while also teaching about persistence when you don't succeed the first time. Probably not super accurate regarding spiders and web spinning.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • A Book of Babies
  • Fiesta Babies
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Big Bug
  • Wednesday
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Green Lizards vs. Red Rectangles
  • Vincent Paints His House
Tim Hopgood is an award-winning illustrator whose work has been featured in magazines such as Esquire, GQ, and Harper’s. He lives in York, England.