Start by marking “A Lazy Eye” as Want to Read:
A Lazy Eye

A Lazy Eye

2.94  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Racial tensions and the plight of immigrant life in 1970 s England create the backdrop for the story of a soccer player s act of violence that will haunt his son for years to come. At nineteen, Geoffhurst is getting along just fine. He has his own flat away from his family, eight jars to divide his weekly pay, and a standing order at Madame Wong s Chinese Restaurant. But w ...more
Published July 4th 2005 by Scribner (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Lazy Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lazy Eye

Ian Mapp
Aug 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God, how i disliked this book.

Confused and difficuly story telling with little drama that relies on the use of 70s references.

Told in three books - book one is the 19 year old GeoffHurst (yes, this is his name) being doorstepped by a reporter, 10 years after something happened.

Flashback and we see 1976 through the eyes of a child which progresses through to his minor league football player father killing his mother.

We then have book two which is about his mother and relatives coming to England i
Buchdoktor
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Als Geoffhurst Johnson nach Hause kommt, hockt vor seinem Appartment eine Frau, die kaum über zwanzig sein kann, so alt wie er selbst. Sie stellt sich als Journalistin vor und bietet dem jungen Mann Geld für ein Interview. Geoffhurst wußte bis zu dieser Begegnung noch nicht, dass sein Vater unerwartet aus dem Gefängnis in Dartmoor entlassen werden soll. Daley-Clarkes Roman spielt im London der 60er und 70er. Geoffhursts Familie stammt vermutlich von den westindischen Inseln. Die Großmutter konnt ...more
Ian Wood
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Alane
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely give 5 stars, so possibly the fantastic readings on the audio book get one of these stars. But the other 4 go to the author and her ear for voices. Gorgeous generations of island voices, including the Brit Isles.

I listened to this while driving in an un-air conditioned car during a heat wave which helped with the realism. The write up on the back of my audio book was a lie. That's not my lead in to a clever review. It really was a lie and not the plot at all.

I should read this ag
Dusty
Nov 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
this book got me on a whole lot of levels, i was feeling it. lazy eye tells the story of a west indian boy living in england and how the racism tears his family apart. tragic violence internalized. it doesn't make that an excuse for the father's abuse, but it puts racism into context, how the father was thinking, what the son was feeling. and the mother losing herself bit by bit. her twin sister's west indian magic couldn't work it's healing in this cold place called england. in fact all things ...more
Lauren McPhee
I really had to force my way through this book not enjoying it consistently until at least 65% of the way through. It fell away at the end as well. An interesting story but really could have been told better. Disappointing.
Ashley Lucas
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book depicts the life of a black boy growing up in England, and though it took a long time for this to become apparent, the main character's central dilemma is that his father is in prison. I had trouble getting into the book but was touched by the last third of the novel.
Malika
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The central character, Geoffhurst, is upstaged by a very compelling storyline involving his mom, dad, aunt and uncle. I wish the source of the father's anger and bitterness was explored more. Would have added another element to the depth of why the events happened as they did.
Curtis Ackie
Feb 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this at all. In fact, I didn't even make it to the end.
Caroline
Laura Rippr
Jan 25, 2012
Heather Durne
Aug 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if i liked this, I felt there was no resolution or ending of any sort! Hmmmm...
Camille