Start by marking “City of Skies” as Want to Read:
City of Skies

City of Skies (The Viking Assassin #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
ONE GIRL. A DEADLY QUEST. AN EPIC JOURNEY.

Nora Hunt has just joined the deadly quest to discover the ancient Viking legend of the hidden Shadowislands. Her post-apocalyptic dystopian world, Triangle of Peace, is the only home she’s ever known. But at sixteen years old, the skilled young warrior joins an elite band of Raiders called Jarls. Her mission? Merely to win the pe
Published February 27th 2017

Win a Copy of This Book

City of Skies
    Release date: Mar 03, 2017
    Win one signed copy of Farah Cook's CITY OF SKIES, book one in THE VIKING ASSASSIN SERIES.

Viking themed fantasy novel set in sci-fi, dystopian world w

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 2029 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 02 - Sep 24, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and GB more

• Friend Reviews

Crazy4Books
    Im not that familiar with Norse mythology (besides the Movie Thor) and Vikings so I thought that aspect was compelling. The raider school was fascinating and I loved all the training quests Nora had to go on. I thought the training was really exciting. I liked how the contrast in beliefs between the east and the west affected Nora. Her mysterious past and abilities intrigued me. The explanation for her abilities was interesting. I enjoyed her relationship with Helena but was kind of sad with how ...more
    Jessica Kent
    Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    OMG, I love this book so freaking much! It reminds me a bit of the Divergent series because of the different "factions". Can't go into detail, since I don't want to ruin the book for anyone, but trust me when I say there's lots of action, interesting "friendships" etc... This is a book you wanna read!!!
    aisha hashmi
    Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    okay, hold on to your chair, get your drink of choice, and if no where near a toilet then you better grab an adult diaper, cause when you start this you will not be able to put it down. I loved divergent and I cannot rave enough about this book!!! I know I am posting reviews at breakneck speed these days, I am posting reviews even from books I read, starting in around 1976, when I was 6 and yes, I still remember them! Giving props for those who deserve it, and between posting my reviews for book ...more
    Christina Luberts
    Great Read. I love anything Vikings anyway, due to my heritage. Great book for teens and older to read. This book brought me on a journey with Nora to become a Elite Raider like her dad and find her true identity. Suspense and action it keeps you wanting to know what happens next. What all magic does she hold? Is Frederick really her enemy or is he really her friend? What Lies ahead for Nora? Will she find her father? Will all her questions be answered? Will she learn how to use all her magic?
    Elda
    Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved the story so much I read it nonstop till done. Farah's descriptions of the scenes and characters are so clear it is easy to imagine oneself there. Also, I found it very endearing the way some of the characters would call each other by their full name rather than just their first name only. This book had exciting competitions where I was rooting for the good guys and highly disappointed for the losers. Also, a lot of angst in the unrequited romantic feelings between some of the characters ...more
    Ruth Mitchell
    Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is an amazing book - a real page turner. The excitement builds throughout with great, unexpected turns. Nora Hunt is a strong character with such determination. Her skills continue to develop as she becomes an excellent warrior. The book is well written, with vivid descriptions that immerse you into the story. I can’t wait for the second book.
    VB VB
    Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was so good! It reminded me a bit of Divergent but it also has some elements of Hunger Games. Nonetheless, this book is everything I hoped it would be and more! I am so glad I got to read it!!
    Rick Yvanovich
    Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    It's fast paced and there are multiple twists and turns. Like a rollercoaster you can get hooked and either want to cling on tightly to see what happens as well as wanting to race ahead to see what happens. What a great ride!

Love it

Already bought the sequel and can't wait to start that too

Disclosure: I was offered a free copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.
    Christopher
    Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This review containers slight spoilers.

This is an excellent book with excellent characters and plot development. Farah Cook has taken the Norse mythology and planted it in a future that we can all find ourselves a part of if we look in her books.

It did take me a Chapter or two to get used to the view point being used. I'm not used to so much emotions in my main characters (but when you mainly read books like Dresden Files or Star Trek/Wars, it happens). However, once I got used to that I really
    Denise
    Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I finished this book in one sitting, it was a great story that follows Nora Hunt as she is picked to become a raider, a group selected to locate artifacts. These artifacts are the keys to unlock the nine Norse worlds. In this story we see that trials Nora has to overcome to become a raider or will she not? I encourage you to dive in and find out for yourself.
    D.A. Schneider
    Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    City of Skies follows Nora hunt as she trains to be a Raider and discover the truth about her father and her identity.

The author creates a vast and and vivid fantasy world, where much of the land is still a mystery and exploration is a deadly undertaking. That's where the Raiders come in, braving the unknown to uncover Viking secrets from ages past.

The characters are interesting and the story is quick paced, keeping you interested until the astonishing climax. A definite read for any fans of H
    Deanna Eaton
    Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ent from other. Her 'mother' is keeping secrets from her but knows that she cannot ask because of the laws she lives by. One day all the 16 year old teens in her village has to take a test. She's whisked off to another place. She has to make friends, pass unusual test and still try to figure out who she is. Mystery, history, discovery, and myth. This is a book that keeps your attention and wanting more.
    Riderkitty
    Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Real Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5.

I'm not going to go into much detail since it hasn't come out yet, but I loved it!

You'll love this book if you loved the Hunger Games and Throne of Glass.

This book just flies by. I was late to picking it up, but when I did, amazing! The characters are thought out and the plot line is original despite being like the other stories.

I hope to see a physical copy and I'll be recommending this to everyone! Can't wait for the next book!
    Catherine Savard
    Wow this book was refreshing!! With all the YA fantasy books out there this one was something new. I enjoyed reading about norse mythology a lot and there was never a dull moment. It's filled with action and I can't wait to read City of Vikings and to see what happens with Nora and Frederick.
    Ksandra
    Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.75/5

This is a novel based on Norse Mythology, which is part of why I ultimately decided to give it a try. Most authors focus solely on Egyptian/Greek Mythology when they write stories like this. I was not disappointed in this novel.

We follow Nora Hunt as she navigates her trials in the world of the Raiders. She has no idea who or what she is, but over time she finds out.

There was so much I loved about this book. The characters were all interesting, and even though it occasionally felt like the
    Petra K
    Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, scifi
    I really liked the complexity of the main character. She goes through many different changes, and the reader gets to follow her thoughts, which are wild, and untamed, and I found that really cool. I also like the way she handles the changes she’s confronted with – she’s balancing her ethos as a “Judith” that are deeply rooted in her identity, and equally she wants to break free, but doesn’t when to moves to the “West” and realizes that her virtues are better. That makes her in my opinion a stron ...more
    Haidji
    May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Free Will

Every step you take, comes from a decision you made or from a decision someone else (or society) made for you?
    Can you decide your path when your future is already determined? How far does your free will goes? Can you make choices in which the outcome has not been determined by past events? Is determinism necessary for free will, arguing that choice involves preference for one course of action over another, requiring a sense of how choices will turn out?
    Is your future already determine
    Crystal
    Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Nora is 16 and is the race to become an Elite Raider from the Jarl Dynasty. There are so many dangers ahead of her, and secrets to discover. She also has to decide who to trust, and even who to love.

I really enjoyed this book and the world it is set in. Nora and Frederick work so well together through out the academy. Frederick and Nora are both hiding secrets but them seem willing to trust one another for the time being. However, that may all chance once they graduate and settle into their dif
    Danielle
    Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Amazing!

I love quests and mysteries and other worlds!! Everyone is doing their best to unlock the Shadowlands and when Nora Hunt is forced to leave the East and join the Raider program in the West, she has that ultimate goal too. The program is brutal and only five people end up making it through. Towards the end of this novel, Nora can finally set out to do what she originally was supposed to do....find her father.
    Tiffany Oim
    Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I really enjoyed this. It was a slightly new take on the Dystopian Genre. Nora is very self-aware which is different and she has a lot of caution, which is not something you see in a female main character often. I think people will really enjoy this book. Hope to find out what happens in the second book.
    Jenifer
    Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I really enjoyed this book. Nora is a strong smart girl who lives to win. There are quite a few revelations that I wasn't expecting but I won't spoil the story. There was lots of adventure and excitement. I'm not quite Sure how I feel about the maybe love interest though. I can't wait for the second book and anything else this talented author writes.
    FantasyWorld_
    Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A-MAZ-ING!!!!!! I highly recommend this book if you're fans of fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopia!!! After reading the first few chapters I was hooked and the the excitement builds throughout!! Nora is a badass heroine, can’t wait for the second book in the series!
    Aviar Savijon
    A dazzle filed journey into fantasy in this book. Outstanding first in the series of the Shadowislands Saga. A must read. I loved it!
    Felicia [Felicia's Ink(t)]
    Review coming soon!!
    Cath
    Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a fresh and interesting read with links to Norse mythology and history long lost and forgotten. Nora - the main character - has always been out of place, hidden in a district she didn't fit in with, but never knew why.
    She is selected to train as a Raider - if she doesn't succeed only death or exile are the answer. We start to discover more about her as the book develops with descriptions of times past and powers of the ancients.
    I would have finished this earlier - but trying to read from
    Ketsyaris Bracetty
    This book, holy goodness was it a-m-a-z-i-n-g. This story had me on the edge of my seat from the start. It did not take long to finish since I flew through it. Farah wrote in a way that you just can't help but love this world and the characters. You sit there and you can really imagine yourself in this world. With that being said, the character and plot development was unreal. These characters were so interesting and nothing like I expected. The main character was so complex as well. She was one ...more
    Marija
    Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Great read with Viking concept, it keeps you hooked till the very end. It has mysteries, adventure, danger, supernatural powers...it will keep your interest for sure. I'm off to the second book of the serial
    Susan
    Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    I really enjoyed reading this book. It is an excellent story, fast paced with plenty of twists and turns that kept me wondering what would happen next. It was hard to put down, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to read once you start this book. Highly recommended read!
    Courtney Roth
    Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Great book! The first part is introducing characters, plot lines, and stories, while the 2nd part of the book is what hooks you into the action. I like that you feel a mix of emotions, betrayal, love, anger, sadness, and hope.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
    Farah Cook was born in Denmark, in the land of the Vikings. She grew up in Copenhagen, and had a rich and highly imaginary childhood spending most of her time outdoors. At the age of twelve, she began writing several short stories to fuel her passion for storytelling. Farah graduated with a BA in Political Science from Lund University in Sweden and MA in Arts from London Metropolitan University. S ...more
    More about Farah Cook...

The Viking Assassin (2 books)
    • City of Vikings (The Viking Assassin #2)