Start by marking “The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)

The Queen's Rising

(The Queen's Rising #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  9,424 ratings  ·  1,785 reviews

Grave Mercy meets Red Queen in this epic debut fantasy, inspired by Renaissance France, about an outcast who finds herself bound to a disgraced lord and entangled in his plot to overthrow the current king.

Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her.

Published February 6th 2018 by HarperTeen

·  9,424 ratings  ·  1,785 reviews

Start your review of The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
Emily May
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2017
I hate giving one star to any book, especially those that didn't particularly piss me off or anything like that, but I just didn't enjoy The Queen's Rising one little bit. I think I almost died of boredom.

It feels derivative of many other YA fantasy books but that alone isn't the problem - a lot of YA fantasy authors retell the same old recycled premise and some even manage to make it exciting; breathe new life into it with colourful characters or beautiful writing. Unfortunately, though, The
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$1.99 on Kindle US today 12/17/18

Magnalia House was the sort of establishment where only wealthy, talented girls mastered their passion. It wasn't designed for girls who were lacking, for girls who were illegitimate daughters, and certainly not for girls who defied kings. I, of course, happen to be all three of those things.

This book was everything to me! I loved it so very much. Was it full of action and fighting. No, not really and guess what? That's okay!

I have to admit when I first saw
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I was super into this for the first bit, then I lost interest and was kind of bored, I found all the secret identities and family dynamics and court intrigues hard to keep track of. Honestly, the last 50 or so pages I ended up skimming because I was ready for it to be done. I had hoped that the dynamics and such would really grip me, but they just didn’t. So it was good, but not great!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oooh man. This has some of the loveliest, most visual writing I've ever laid eyes upon. Like... every sentence.... every paragraph... was crafted so perfectly. I feel so inspired.

I feel like 90% of the time I come across pretty writing though, the plot is a bit lost. The good news? That isn't the case here. Rebecca Ross managed to create an utterly enchanting world and a rich, unique storyline that had me turning pages nonstop.

Brienna is a lovely, relatable MC who is taken to Magnolia House
High Lady of The Night Court
“That is a true gift, to help others see the world in a different way.”

This book turned out be something that I did not anticipate. The idea of the book itself is very simple and the story leads with the protagonist and the concept of Passions in this world. The first quarter of this book would steer you to believe that this story would focus directly on the life of the protagonist and finding her patron while it has so much more to offer. The plot is much bigger than just the protagonist and
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like I keep reading YA SFF and just not feeling like there is anything new or unique. I went into The Queen’s Rising expecting to feel the same, especially amidst all the lower reviews I kept seeing on Goodreads, but this ended up being a treat to read. I really enjoyed this, and I was constantly surprised by the twists and turns. The only negative thing I can say is that the romance is a little on the skeezy
Yusra  ✨
“I walked mindfully, my dress swallowing the last of my childhood as it whispered over the grass. I had prepared years for this one night, I thought, and breathed in the fragrance of the summer.
Where had time gone?
There was no answer as I welcomed the solstice.”

Wasn’t that beautiful? I agree. The publisher agrees, because he/she put this quote on the back of the hardcover.
But, this was not how the whole book was written. Some parts were rough, others almost melodic; which is why my heart is
Nadhira Satria
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high fantasy junkies
Shelves: favorites
5 BRILLIANT STARS!

OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW. IM IN LOVE. This was one of my most anticipated release and bOI it exceeded all of my expectations?? I was hooked from the very first pages, I binged half of the book in one sitting. IT WAS AMAZING.

What I liked

1.The writing
The writing is just beautiful. It's honestly so good that it made this 439 pages book felt like 200. I love it so much.

2.Brienna
The main character is compassionate yet brave and determined. We can see her developing and finding
nat.
“... no matter which path you choose, I will follow you, even unto darkness.”

what a stunning book!

my favorite part it’s the amount of background history, and the unexpected revelations that had me a little like this -> .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“... I preferred quiet spaces and books over a room full of people.”

wow same!
Trina (Between Chapters)
Wooooowwww. I loved this so much! This started out set in a boarding school, has a touch of hidden lineage and ancestral memories, morphed into a quest to reclaim the throne and restore magic to the land, and ended with a Medieval style battle.

The writing was beautiful. There is a heavy use of simile and certain wording that I feel some readers may find repetitive, but it just worked for me so well.

My favorite thing about this is that it's not following the chosen one. Brienna does have a big
✨    jamieson   ✨
“So we rise to the challenge knowing that the victory is already ours.”

The Queens Rising is getting a bit of hype here and there, and it has a wonderful cover, but this book was ultimately so disappointing for me.

books need a hook - something that makes you want to read on. This book had no hook for me. I didn't care about the characters, and the entire plot is fucking spoiled by a family tree on the first page !. So if you're gonna read this, DON'T READ THE FAMILY TREE, I BEG OF YOU. SAVE
• Lindsey Dahling •
The book could’ve been a lot better if...

1. ...the pacing wasn’t so bad.
We legitimately watch Brienna hang out at school, telling us over and over how “lost” and “unworthy” she feels about her choice to passion in knowledge (after trying and failing most of the other passions) for SO MUCH OF THE DAMN BOOK. Then, suddenly, it’s the equivalent of graduation day, oh look—no one picks her, ahhh weird memories, yay random dude to become her patron, and now she’s a master swordsman. Then a bunch of
Helena of Eretz ✰
This would appeal to fans of The Poison Study. Brienna and Cartier reminded me a lot of Yelena and Valek.
Sh3lly
Impromptu Twitter Buddy Read with The Artsy Reader and Princess of Pages.

I have had this on my TBR and saw some of my bookish friends were BRing this and had to jump in. I wasn't disappointed! I believe this was a debut and I can see why Harper Teen snapped it up. In a way, it has a lot of similar themes you see in YA fantasy, but it also has its own unique twist.

Brienna doesn't know who her father is, but he wasn't a good guy. So, her mother fled the country with her grandfather to hide.
Taneika
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
4.5 Stars

When I think of some of my all time favourite books, they either have: a) beautiful, albeit kind of flowery writing b) a slow burn plot/romance/pace or c) both.
The Queen's Rising is one of the books that fell into the "both" category and I while I don't know what I expected from this book, I didn't expect this to become one of my new favourite fantasies!

The main character, Brienna is taken to Magnolia House (a boarding school with specialised learning for one of the five 'passions':
Emma
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book had me by the first couple of pages. Rebecca Ross’ writing is very alluring and enchanting. Her words created a whimsical portrait of emotion, heritage and courage.

I recommend not going into this novel knowing too much, and being pleasantly drawn into to the story.
Natalie Monroe
“One day, a queen will rise,” he whispered, as if the books had ears to eavesdrop. “Perhaps it will be in our lifetime, perhaps the one to follow us. But Maevana will remember who she is and unite for a greater purpose.”

My reading experience summed up in one gif:

The Queen's Rising takes a bunch of familiar YA fantasy concepts and fails to do anything new with them. We have the bring-magic-back-into-world quest, the find-a-magical-artifact scavenger hunt, a cruel, two-dimensional usurper king,
sam  {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Absolutely bloody unbelievable. I highly recommend y'all read this because if you haven't then you're missing out on a lot of action and political intrigue which might sound boring but I promise you the plot is amazingly fantabulous. Full RTC
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Queens Rising follows Brienna as she get pulled into a plot to overthrow the King of another kingdom. Thats not a spoiler since its mentionned in the summary, but I did find the Goodreads summary a bit misleading. In her kingdom people can study to become one of five passions; art, music, wit, dramatics and knowledge. After discovering she has no talent for the other passions Brienna finally settles on knowledge. Brienna was a likeable character and her struggle with her mixed heritage added ...more
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
“But your art creates a window into another world,” I said, smiling at her. “That is a true gift, to help others see the world in a different way.”

I have slightly similar feelings toward this book as I have for Ash Princess, another new release of this year. These two books have very little in common, per se, it's the fact that both of them were on the enjoyable side, just not impressive or memorable in any way. Both of them felt like a compilation of other YA fantasies.

I didn't dislike any
Cesar
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars.

I was so disappointed by how dull The Queen's Rising was. After reading Emily May's review, a part of me should've known what I would not enjoy this book. In fantasy novels, I do like when politics and magic are involved, but The Queen's Rising was too boring for me to enjoy.

The Queen's Rising has politics and magic mixed in. By all means, I should've enjoyed it. But I didn't. Mainly it was because of the slow pacing and how boring everything was. I skimmed read the last part just so I
el
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
buddy read with christian
Mixed.
Mixed feelings are what I have for Queen's Rising.
On the one hand, I couldn’t really connect with the characters and found it a tad emotionally uninteresting, it definitely wasn’t a character-driven novel in my eyes. (which is usually what I look for in a book - hence the lower rating) And the ending bothered me, I thought it somewhat anticlimactic and VERY cheesy. But on the other, the writing was neat and original and gorgeously visual. Likewise were the ideas
Sophie Elaina
Rebecca Ross, the author of The Queen's Rising walked me through a magical journey. I got lost in the beautiful writing, so much so that it actually felt like I was there, living this story alongside the main character Brienna.

Might this be my favourite book I've read so far this year? Why yes, yes I think it might. I wasn't anticipating greatness, and that's kind of funny because I never seem to be when I come across rare gems like this one. Brienna is a protagonist that I warmed to almost
Tara ☽
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me at a job interview: My only hobby is reading beautifully-written fantasy featuring lovely warrior girls
Christian
And that's the story of that one time I went into a book expecting to hate it and came out on the other side loving it instead. I'm shook.

rtc. (view spoiler)

(Also I think this was the first book I've ever read that didn't have acknowledgements??)

* * *

Buddy-read with el, so hopefully we can motivate each other to finish this in case it gets bad and so that in case it actually does, you don't get one, but two annoyed reviews coming your way. (I'm so optimistic.) (But for
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Love love loved this one. Can you tell? Finished in less than 24hrs. RTC! ...more
Angelica
Before I review this, here's some advice to future writers. If you are going to make your main character's parentage a mystery in your novel, maybe don't make the first page of said novel, a convenient family tree explicitly depicting your main character's parentage.

So, if you are going to read this book, don't look at the family tree in the beginningor a few plot twists in this novel will be pretty pointless.

That said, on to the rest of the review.

I wanted to love this book. Lord knows that I
Adrienne Young
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE QUEEN'S RISING is a fantastic, complex YA fantasy that hits all the sweet spots of the kingdom/rebellion tropes without feeling tired or overdone. The writing is so well seasoned, with beautiful descriptions and awesome character development. I also just kind of want the "bow to no king" tagline on, like, everything. Coffee mug, doormat, tank top, GIVE IT TO ME NOW. Highly recommend this book to lovers of YA fantasy.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

The Queen's Rising is one of the most promising debuts I have ever read. Going into this I was definitely hesitant. While this seemed like the kind of YA Fantasy I absolutely love, I also have incredibly high expectations for it.
But lo and behold, this blew me away! I would go as far as to say that this is the first book in the five years since I first read GRACELING by Kristin Cashore that came close to THAT kind of Fantasy that I love with all of my heart.

The Queen's Rising had
melissafandomworld
Rebecca Ross crafted a really interesting world in the Queen's Rising. The story set in this world was wonderfully written down I think. I was enthralled and engaged right from the start and the book only gets better and better when the story progresses more.

I loved the world building and the politics that are woven into the story. And I also really liked the small amount of magical elements and the writing was just truly addictive. There's a bit of romance present, not too much, that was in

• Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Everless (Everless, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Furyborn (Empirium, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
**Hi friends! Thank you so much for your interest in my writing! I don't get on Goodreads often (only every now and then to rate books that I love), so if you want to get in touch with me, you can find me on Instagram @beccajross or Twitter @_RebeccaRoss or email me directly at rebeccarossauthor@gmail.com. Cheers!**

Rebecca Ross grew up in Georgia, where she continues to reside with her husband,

The Queen's Rising (2 books)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
“I cannot tell you what to decide, what is best," he stated. "That is for your heart to choose, Brienna. But I will say this: no matter which path you choose, I will follow you, even unto darkness.” 26 likes
“She walks with grace upon the clouds, and the stars know her by name.” 23 likes