Start by marking “Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)

Emily of New Moon

(Emily #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  40,256 ratings  ·  1,615 reviews
Emily Starr never knew what it was to be lonely -- until her beloved father died. Now Emily's an orphan, and her mother's snobbish relatives are taking her to live with them at New Moon Farm. She's sure she won't be happy. Emily deals with stiff, stern Aunt Elizabeth and her malicious classmates by holding her head high and using her quick wit. Things begin to change when ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published April 1st 1983 by Dell Laurel-Leaf (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Emily of New Moon, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Yes. And I speak as a person who married at 20 to a man who was 37. We're still married happily, 36 years later. But he is waaaay to possessive of her…moreYes. And I speak as a person who married at 20 to a man who was 37. We're still married happily, 36 years later. But he is waaaay to possessive of her from the git-go. All that stuff about how "I saved your life so now your life is mine" just raised my hackles. There were men like that in those days--still are; but that doesn't make it a good choice in a YA novel of that time, or this time, for that matter.(less)
Csilla http://www.feedbooks.com/author/547
L.M. Montgomery died more than 7o years ago, so the rights to her books are expired. (in other words: legally free ebooks)(less)

·  40,256 ratings  ·  1,615 reviews

Start your review of Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Emily of New Moon (Emily of New Moon #1), L.M. Montgomery
Emily of New Moon is the first in a series of novels by Lucy Maud Montgomery about an orphan girl growing up in Canada. It is similar to the author's Anne of Green Gables series. It was first published in 1923. Similar to her earlier and more famous Anne of Green Gables series, the Emily novels depicted life through the eyes of a young orphan girl, Emily Starr, who is raised by her relatives after her father dies of tuberculosis.
Wendy Darling
Re-reading for our discussion on Friday, May 27th! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Anne fans, I INSIST that you try Emily at some point.

[image error]

-----------------------------------

I love the Emily books so much. Her passion and her dreams, along with her dignity, were expressed in a way that really appealed to me when I read them as an impressionable teenager. The formative years of every girl's life are filled with wild hopes and worries and exhilaration, and as an adult, I re-read
Duane
Emily of New Moon is right up there with Anne of Green Gables. Emily Byrd Starr is another timeless and unforgettable character from the mind of L.M. Montgomery.
She's more serious and complex than Anne but just as stubborn and just as lovable. Written for teens and young adults, but anyone can enjoy this wonderful classic.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oh how I wish this was written in our time because this would be so, so gay. Emily and Ilse belong together and we all know Nancy and Caroline are a thing. What a heckin shame.
Also, CATS.
That's it. That's the review.
Helene Jeppesen
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, this book ressembles "Anne of Green Gables" a lot. It speaks of a young girl who admires the world's beauty while growing up amongst family and friends. However, "Emily of New Moon" touched me a lot more. There was something about Emily and her personality that appealed to me a lot. The same goes for her struggles which, in my opinion, were really cruel and harsh and made me care for her even more.
I also really liked the fact that Emily actually grows up in this book and goes out
June Geiger
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Maud's Betsy-Tacy series had its Emily, bless our souls, Lucy Maud had hers. And I say "bless our souls" in the most literal sense, because time spent with either Emily can feed an inner flame reduced to the faintest flicker by heartbreak, doubt and despair. But please--Emily Byrd Starr is no shrinking violet. Here we have a fierce, free-spirited young iconoclast who, even more than Anne with an "e", has a thing or two to teach any adult with enough sense (and imagination) to listen.
Megan Baxter
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
With this review, we're revisiting another one of my old favourite, my comfort reads, the books I can still pick up and read with a great deal of pleasure, almost as much as when I was curled up in my bed as a girl, discovering this world for the first time. Which is all to say that this review is naturally heavily coloured by all of who I was and who I am now, and how this book has fit into my personal mythology for many, many years.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the
Manybooks
Even more than L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series, her Emily of New Moon trilogy (Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs and Emily's Quest) have always been absolutely and utterly personal favourites, mostly because while I have definitely and certainly enjoyed reading about Anne Shirley, her bubbly extrovertedness is not and can never be even remotely as close to me and to my own rather internal and quiet personality as equally imaginative and dreamy but also considerably more introverted ...more
Katharine
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit, 2010
Emily of New Moon has a much darker quality than the Anne of Green Gables series – and Emily as a character is not nearly as likable or sweet as Anne. But she seems real. Although LMM tends to stylize/idealize her heroines a little, you can sense the three-dimensional quality of Emily's personality from the first chapter. Anne is 3D too, of course, but Anne's character tends to emerge little by little, whereas Emily dominates her story right from the start. And there's plenty of attention to ...more
Rikke
Emily. My dearest Emily; my childhood friend and childhood idol, my inspiration and my consolation. There are books so special, read in such a tender age, that they become part of you. I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it wasn't for Emily Byrd Starr.

Farah Shamma
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet tale about Emily, a young orphaned girl, who lives with her relatives in New Moon and long the way finds family, friendships, and home.

I liked this book well enough. It had its moments, but I couldn't help comparing it to Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorite books. There were many similarities between the two books: orphaned girl with spunk, stern Aunt, clumsy mishaps, writing and poetry, the works.

That said, this book did surprise me at times (Dean Priest!) and it
Elinor  Loredan
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
It's interesting, because I think I'd be a little afraid to meet Emily because of the scrutiny with which she approaches people-although I do that myself!

I love her spunk, though. When she hid under the table to listen to the family conclave and was retorting furiously to them in her mind, I immediately thought, "I like this girl!" I also feel like I relate more to Emily than to Anne. Emily is more brooding and withdrawn like me, whereas Anne is someone I wish I was like.

Delight and magic are
Rebecca
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside - but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse - and heard a note of unearthly music."

*relates*

Rachel
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish viciously that I'd read this as a child, because goodness, there is so much here that brought back what it felt like to be enraptured by words, and thinking that putting them together was the single best thing I could do with my life. How wonderful Emily is. Extraordinary. Big sigh.
Celeste
It took a while for this book to grow on me. I’ve always loved Anne of Green Gables, and I know that for some readers the Emily books are even better. I think that might depend on which heroine you meet first because, while I grew to appreciate Emily Byrd Starr, she’ll never usurp Anne Shirley in my heart.
“To love is easy and therefore common - but to understand - how rare it is!”

Somehow Emily’s story manages to be both easier and less idyllic than that of Anne. Emily gets to experience the
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was little, my mom passed on to me and my sister all of her glorious, hard-back books from her childhood. Louisa May Alcott, Gay Melody (look it up), and, her favorites, The Anne books. She told us how her father, the quiet newspaper editor, took her to the library and insisted she had to read about Anne Shirley. Something about the book jacket made Mom sneer, but her dad insisted, so she read it. As we all know had to happen, Mom fell in love. And when her daughters were old enough, she ...more
Michaela
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is just... perfect. *sigh* I absolutely loved it! It was so good! Anne of Green Gables is a masterpiece; however, I can't compare it with Emily of New Moon. There is a certain different aspect with Emily. Anne is simply Anne (although there is nothing 'simple' about her), and Emily is particularly Emily. Anyway, I highly recommend this book! It is SO WONDERFUL! :)
Misty Mount
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story! I really savored this one. As a child I read the Anne series but somehow I missed this little gem which is just the same sort of warm and fuzzy goodness! They don't make stories like this anymore.
Kathryn
Nov 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This series is so dear to me! I cannot describe how much it meant to me, what a gorious friend I found in Emily, and how her journey to become a writer and a woman fit so well with my own heart and aspirations. I hope to visit these beautiful books again; Emily will be a kindred spirit for life!
Mel Campbell
I recently decided to reread this – one of my childhood favourites – because I am sick of people banging on about Anne of Green Gables when Emily was always my favourite Montgomery heroine. I told my mother I was rereading it and her face absolutely lit up, because Emily was her favourite too, and the copy we both read had belonged to my mother's mother.

The early chapters I found viscerally moving. I was reading in the window at Mario's and found myself snuffling away tears at Emily's loss of
Patra
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One thing my husband and I enjoy doing is reading a book out loud together. We take turns choosing one of our favorite books, which the other person hasn't read, and we read it together. There's no surprise here that he hadn't read Emily of New Moon because it definitely looks like a girly book, but I think the first in this series by L.M. Montgomery is a classic, so we read it together. I don't highly recommend the sequels to this book. It seems the author just felt some responsibility to ...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Got a lot better as it went along, but the beginning was pretty brutal. The pacing is slow and the beginning of Emily's development as a writer is very, very detailed, with Emily's letters to her father written exactly as a tween would write - that is, with spelling mistakes and repetition galore. It's realistic, but it's also a real slog. As someone who really likes to see change and self-discovery in characters, there are a lot of growing pains in this novel.

At my book club, we chatted about
Rebecca McNutt
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While it certainly wasn't Anne of Green Gables, this book, featuring a slightly similar character, is nearly as fun and well-written. Emily's adventures, day-to-day life and friendships are intriguing and easy to follow along with. I think my favorite character though was Ilse, she really added a feeling of rebellion and excitement to much of the novel.
kris
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
[Also read: ~2006/07]

After Emily Byrd Starr is orphaned, her Aunts Elizabeth and Laura take her to live with them at New Moon—and soon Emily finds herself quite at home at the proud farmstead. She founds the local underaged artist's guild, writes and writes and writes, and grows into her legacy.

1. For a book allegedly for children, this review is going to have a lot of swearing in it [trigger warning for fucking goddamned child predators]:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DEAN PRIEST IS A FUCKING PEDOPHILE
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
4.5

I love the Anne of Green Gables series, so I was fully expecting to love this! And I did! These are the type of books that make you feel so warm and happy inside, despite still having darker undercurrents. And I just had so much fun wandering dreamily through these pages and enjoying the exquisite language within them. I just love L M Montgomery's writing and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and watch Emily grow up. That is my favourite part about all of Montgomery's series -
Morgan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This might be an unpopular opinion but very tempted to say that Emily is my favorite Montgomery heroine.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it

This morning I noticed Mel Campbell's review of the book come up in my newsfeed, and my first reaction was a sharp intake of breath--a kind of preemptive wince born of the idea that anyone might, in any way, not love Emily wholeheartedly, or love her the way that I do. Clearly Emily's passionate loves and jealousies were something I was drawn to as a child!

As an adult, I enjoy the latter Emily books more--Emily is less dreamy, more pragmatic, though still drawn to making disastrously bad

Arabesque
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished re-reading this book and I have to say that it is probably my favorite book of all time! I read it first at age 14 and was absolutely enthralled by it, and reading it today exactly 8 years later, I enjoyed it just as much! Not every author can craft such a story that can appeal to all ages. It's a lovely story, so beautifully written and reminds me why I love L. M. Montgomery so much. She takes time to write about the seemingly mundane and turns it into something fascinating and ...more
Tiffany
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who can read
Of course, I was first introduced to L.M. Montgomery through Anne Shirley. However, I found myself drawn to the Emily character far more firmly, as she was much more like myself: an incurable writer. The story of Emily is much darker, much bleaker, and yet, L.M.M. does what she does best, gives us brilliant characters, brilliant dialogue, chapter after chapter of little stories, and fantastic language. When I read L.M.M.'s work, I want to run off and write sheaves of pages. Each character ...more
Minli
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Minli by: Shoshana
Don't know why I never read these in my childhood, growing up within spitting distance of PEI and loved Anne of Green Gables. Newly orphaned Emily is sent to live with her relatives at New Moon Farm, particularly her stodgy Aunt Elizabeth. As she settles into her new life (and not without some friction), she makes friends with Ilse and Teddy and curates her nascent talent as a writer.

I think people identify with Emily and Anne because--well, spirited, bookish girls live on in all of us, and I'm

• Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1)
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)
  • The Secret Garden
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • What Katy Did
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • The Railway Children
  • The Complete Tales
  • Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
  • The Movies, Mr. Griffith, And Me
  • Marilla of Green Gables
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

Emily (3 books)
  • Emily Climbs (Emily, #2)
  • Emily's Quest (Emily, #3)
“If it's IN you to climb you must -- there are those who MUST lift their eyes to the hills -- they can't breathe properly in the valleys.” 105 likes
“It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside-- but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond-- only a glimpse-- and heard a note of unearthly music.” 79 likes