Start by marking “Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C.” as Want to Read:

DID THE FREEMASONS CREATE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
Step back in time to the birth of a revolutionary new republic and discover how the utopian ideals of a visionary secret society laid the foundation for the most powerful nation on earth. Follow George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and other Founding Fathers as they transform the democratic principles of their Masonic
Published December 21st 2006 by Ulysses Press

Luke
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Starting out with a carefully-researched recounting of Worshipful Brother George Washington's first entrance into the Lodge of Fredericksburg, Hodapp then traces the history of Freemasonry from its origins, shrouded as they are in mystery and speculation, up through the organization of the very first Masonic Grand Lodge in London and on across the Atlantic Ocean to America.

Sprinkled with diagrams and pictures of important Masonic sites in the District, the majority of this book looks at the hist
Joel
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done Brother. So Mote It Be!

Best book written on Freemasonry. Hands down, by far. I encourage all Brothers to read this book as it does the best justice to the greatest fraternity in the world.
Mark Muckerman
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Just. Not. Good.

The best bit of writing in this book is the summary blurb that enticed me to buy the damn thing in the first place. . .

When you have a book title that includes the words "Freemasons" and "Secrets", you hope and expect that the book will CONTAIN Freemasons' Secrets. Hodapp's work is really more a brief (as well as boring and incomplete) overview of the history of Freemasonry, particularly in the U.S., and then a badly written effort to "debunk" accusatory mythologies surrounding F
Ryan Elblein
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for those interested in Masonic history

This book walks you through what is truly known about Masonic history without creating wild conspiracy theories that have no founding. The author even mentions some of the conspiracy theories and debunks them. Great read for both Masons and non-masons!
Asher
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great review of the role of the Freemasons in the founding of the Unites States and Washington DC in particular.

The author manages to show how various conspiracy theories have no basis, but still show the good work that Freemasons did in founding the United States.
Vern
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I made it partway through Chapter 3 before giving up. The writing style was flat, and disjointed.
Shaun
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I picked this up at a gift shop outside Monticello in Virginia, understanding that the author had written "Freemasonry for Dummies" and almost completely deflected by it's jarring, hokey cover. Yet, I read it.

Hodapp's primary concern here is to make sure that anyone currently being carried away by Dan Brown's novels (Da Vinci Code, The Lost Symbol), or the movies based on them, doesn't go so far as to take Brown's work for fact. I'm not familiar with Brown's books, but I couldn't help picking up
Tyler Anderson
Jun 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: freemasonry
Actually giving this 3.5 stars.
The real conspiracy is the attempt to convince people that there is a different conspiracy. That's what it really comes down to. Turns out, Freemasons actually don't run the world, never wanted to, and never tried. But there is an ongoing (non)conspiracy of a wide variety of individuals, divvied up mainly between illiterate right wing religious wonks and sadly credulous tinfoil hat types, to convince everyone of the opposite, and thus garner enthusiasm for whatever
Michael Snuffin
I really enjoyed reading this book. I found it both well-written and informative, with many well-deserved humorous jabs at Masonic conspiracy theorists. Solomon’s Builders sets the record straight about the historical connections between Freemasonry and the formation of the American government. I think the author did an excellent job describing Masonry and its historical significance to the non-Masonic general reader.

I especially liked “Chapter Five: How the Freemasons Invented America”, which t
Luke
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it

Chuck Springer
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a well written book based on extensive research and with a detailed bibliography to support various topics concerning the foundations, influences, planning & construction of Washington D.C. Detail is also provided on the significant positive influence the Craft had on the Founding Fathers of this country.

It was published shortly after Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol", to correct some exaggerations and misrepresentations found in that novel. Thus the author is able to effecti
Valdeir
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is on the Freemason's Grand Lodge of California reading list for incoming and newly initiated Freemasons. It covers majority of American heroes of the past and famous individuals. The first half of the book was exciting to me because of the little facts that were always in front of me but I never realized the Masonic connection it carried. I had my own speculations but never explored the facts and the author provides good facts. For anyone who is interested in the fraternity's connecti ...more
Carolyn
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was informational but had a little bit more about George Washington, than Washington D.C than I wanted to know.
Lines that I liked were:
"Like these images, the symbolism that appears in the philosophy of Freemasonry is there to inspire the individual Mason to think higher thoughts, perform nobler deeds and attain greater achievements, Freemasonry is not a religion. It is not a plan for worldwide domination. It is an institution that inspire its members simpy to be better men, better citizens,
Carl Johnson
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gary
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good history on the founding fathers and how Masonry affected their beliefs and decisions as they began a new country. My curiousity wanders if Masonry shaped their beliefs and philosophies or were they Masons because of their beliefs and philosophies. Does it really matter? This book also shows how ridiculous some of the conspiracy and anti-mason theories are concerning DC and our founders. Good read. I enjoyed it.
Nicholas Vettese
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a Freemason, I'm intrigued by books on the subject, and Christopher Hodapp is one of the leading writers of freemasonry. The book is a solid and easy read, whether you are a Freemason or not. The information is sound, and helps you to get an understanding of how the founding fathers and Freemasonry came together to create a new and better country.
Rob
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freemasonry
If your knowledge of Freemasonry stems from pop-culture mysteries, you will be well familiar with the theme of this book. Author Christopher Hodapp does an excellent job explaining the Masonic origins of the United States.
Janet
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. I am familiar with the Masons or Freemasons. Only because I have an ex-husband who was preparing to enter the Masons. And of course, thanks to Dan Brown and the Lost Symbol. So I wanted to learn a little more in which I did.
Jason
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting material but poorly written.
Don mckinney

• The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • The Lost Keys of Freemasonry
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry
  • Freemasons: A History and Exploration of the World's Oldest Secret Society: Inside the World's Oldest Secret Society
  • The Temple and the Lodge
  • A Brief History of Secret Societies: The Hidden Powers of Clandestine Organizations and Elites from the Ancient World to the Present Day
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • The Freemasons: A History of the World's Most Powerful Secret Society
  • The Book of Hiram
  • The Symbolism Of Freemasonry
  • A Bridge To Light , A Study in Masonic Ritual & Philosophy
  • The Brotherhood: The Secret World Of The Freemasons
Christopher L. Hodapp is the editor of the "Journal of The Masonic Society." He is the author of the best-selling "Freemasons For Dummies," and "Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C."

He is the co-author with Alice VonKannon of "The Templar Code For Dummies" and "Conspiracy Theories and Secret Societies For Dummies."

He has appeared on the History Chan