Start by marking “American Flowers” as Want to Read:
American Flowers

American Flowers

Nineteen-year-old Chris Shafer and seventeen-year-old Allie Laughton came from similar backgrounds of neglect and indifference. Chris spent his childhood desperately trying to gain his alcoholic parents' love. Allie was dragged through an ugly divorce before narrowly escaping being molested by her mother's new boyfriend.

A chance meeting draws the two together and Allie is
Paperback, 2nd, 290 pages
Published July 7th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about American Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Flowers

Start your review of American Flowers
Mischenko
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
American Flowers by Michael A. McLellan is a book about two teens, both from broken homes, who are struggling to get their lives together. Chris is caught up in drugs and Allie needs to find a place to live. Neither one of them have much support from anyone.

Something these two characters have in common is horrible parents. They haven't been loved or instructed properly by anyone. Chris is in a bad spot due to poor decision-making; he just doesn't have the mental capacity, mainly because he's
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
My favorite new ‘author-discovery’, this year is Michael A. McLellan. He’s so ridiculously talented..... I’m surprised he’s not a household name. YET?/!

“In the Shadow of Hanging Tree”, ( which I can’t say enough great things), is an outstanding historical fiction about the aftermath of the civil war in the 1860’s - weaving slavery with massacres of Native Americans. It was a page turning- intimate novel - and not always a genre I gravitate to. The writing simply keeps us fully engaged from start
Starjustin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not being my usual genre of reading, I won this book in a giveaway on the ReadRantRockandRoll blog, so I gave it a try. The author is new to me but I have to say I will be reading more of his books now that I finished American Flowers in just one sitting.

I couldn't put it down. A fast paced thrilling novel with an ending that is so surprising that I would never have expected it.

Broken families leading to devastating life changes, two young lives that find love, however, seem to continue on a
Sage Adderley-Knox
American Flowers is a heartbreaking story about family dysfunction, young love, and drug addiction. Chris and Allie are two teenagers who aren't bad people but have found themselves drowning in drug addiction. This lifestyle leads to a horrific crime that changes life forever for them both.

I think the author did an amazing job depicting drug addiction. He showed how one moment, one choice, could change someone's entire future. Despite their terrible choices, you couldn't help but feel pity for
Shanannigans
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve read anything by this author then you know he is very skilled in writing brilliant characterizations, regardless of the genre. American Flowers is no exception. While the subject matter is hard to digest and the story often difficult to read, Allie and Chris come alive. Their degradation and dark spiral into their addictions is vivid and causes a visceral reaction in the reader. It’s impossible not to feel for these poor kids, especially when you read about how much they have endured.

Maria Galvez Mesimeris
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was interesting and fast moving. I learned alot about drugs, lol. Worth the read. I was a Goodread winner with this book and so glad i did.
S.F. Benson
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a book that makes you feel good with beautiful people, this isn’t for you. But if you’re looking for a well-written, raw glimpse into life amongst America’s disheartened, you’ll want to read Michael A. McLellan’s “American Flowers”.

Don’t let the title fool you. There’s one question to keep in mind while reading this one: What happens to flowers when they aren’t properly cared for? That’s the tidbit of info you need to keep in the back of your mind when you begin this heavy
Anthony Jones
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michael McLellan has proven to be a gifted all-around author. I have read his three novels. All three novels, while very well written have completely different genres. That, in and of itself, is the mark of a truly talented author.

I just finished American Flowers for the second time, and I am thirsty for more. The first time through I must have rushed because this time I was completely captivated by the story.

Every night I read thirty minutes with my twelve-year-old daughter. Like church, we
Jessica Belmont
As if I’m surprised, Michael A. McLellan’sAmerican Flowersblew me away. This is my second read of his, and it did not disappoint.

Michael A. McLellan has a gift for creating realistic and believable characters. Chris is struggling with drug addiction and Allie has no where to go. The two have had very difficult lives and when they get together and fall in love, things get dangerous.

The plot of this novel is intriguing, captivating and unsettling at times. It is so beautifully written it feels
Nancy Shepherd
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers, young adult readers
Recommended to Nancy by: Goodreads
I received American Flowers free through Goodreads. I started it on Tuesday and finished it Thursday. I did not want to put it down! The author's feelings for these young people comes through on every page. Two young people who have no real family,(and who do not know the support most of us grew up with) meet, quickly bond, and follow their hearts right into pure devastation. I especially liked the cover of this book. I don't usually feel drawn by the cover, but the "feel" of the book in my ...more
Carina Riso
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book! Read it in two days, couldn't put it down! The book is very well written and easy to follow. I absolutely loved the story line and where it took the characters. I've read many many books but this is by far one of my favorites! I definitely recommend this book for anyone who is into young adult romances. For me, if a book makes me feel like I'm in the story, it's a really great book, and that's exactly what this book did.
Jacob
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review and others at Eyes and Books!
www.eyesandbooks.com
www.twitter.com/eyesandbooks

Breathtaking novel about the world of drug addiction.
Sarah Pearce
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mandie
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So well written and detailed. The ending made me cry. Definitely worth a read!!
Rae
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Well written with complex characters, 'American Flowers' will take you on a journey through the eyes of our country's youth on drugs. You will smile, you will hold back tears but you won't be disappointed. It will be as if transported, stepped directly into the shoes of each character and saw and felt and experienced everything for yourself.

Well done, Michael. This novel was a success!
Kaili Taghon (Entertainingly Nerdy)
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This book ended up being a little hard for me to read in some spots. I did enjoy it though. Even though this isn't based on a true story you do get a glimpse of what it's like in the life of a drug addict. However, I do wish the ending was different.
Jody Joy
Wow! I could not put this book down. McLellan has created some authentic characters in this gut-wrenching story into the dark world of drug addiction. Chris and Allie both come from very dysfunctional families, which pretty much bring them together. Their world is one heck of a ride, both romantic and horrific at times. The storyline flowed perfectly, very well written.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a glimpse into the world of drugs, but forewarning, it is not for the faint of
Becky Murphy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first few pages of this book, I felt like I was living the story along with the main characters, rather than reading a narrative. This book feels so real. It is raw and honest, tragic and tense, beautiful and romantic, and above all it feels really personal.
When I considered drug users, I always pictured the type of addict stereotype you may see loitering in front of gas stations, asking for money. I never look at those people and wonder what they were like before they lost their
Paul King

• The Silent Ones
  • The Doll Factory
  • Why She Lied
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Mystery #11)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Monster (Monster, #1)
  • The Rains (Rains, #1)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • Last Chance (Rains, #2)
  • The Bright Unknown
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • The Words Between Us
  • The Last
  • Shantallow
  • Unscripted
  • Stealing Cinderella: How I Became an International Fugitive for Love
  • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
Michael’s love of books began with Beverly Cleary’s The Mouse and the Motorcycle when he was seven-years-old. Later influenced by the works of John Steinbeck, Harper Lee, Stephen King, James Baldwin, and Cormac McCarthy, Michael developed his style of storytelling. A self-proclaimed blue-collar writer, he draws on his experiences and observations to bring relevant and compelling topics to life.