Start by marking “What Do Monsters Fear?” as Want to Read:
What Do Monsters Fear?

What Do Monsters Fear?

The Thing meets One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in Matt Hayward's thrilling debut novel...

After waking up one too many times in a puddle of his own mess, Peter Laughlin, a thirty-five-year-old rock musician, has decided to kill himself. However, after catching an advertisement for rehabilitation in the back of a local newspaper, coupled with the fact that his one-night
Published July 21st 2017 by Post Mortem Press

To ask other readers questions about What Do Monsters Fear?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do Monsters Fear?

Start your review of What Do Monsters Fear?
Janie C.
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A small group of addicts sign up for a rehab program that might not be all that it seems. Suspicions aroused, the clients find themselves in a potentially deadly situation. Faced with distrust of authority figures and a very old yet powerful force, each character is forced to focus on their own worst fears. As vulnerable as they each are while in the throes of detox, they must build the strength to survive their worst nightmares. This novel is fast moving and suspenseful, keeping the reader ...more
Karl
This hardcover edition is numbered 14 of 52 numbered copies and is signed by Matt Hayward and Edward Lee.

Contents:

011 - Forward
015 - "What Do Monsters Fear"
215 - "That's The Price You Pay"
227 - "Father's Day"
239 - "That's What Comes With The Rain"
251 - ""Meeting Gregory"
277 - About the Author
Glenn Rolfe
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matt Hayward is an author on the rise. Checking him out online, reading interviews and such, you get the sense that hes one of those guys writing for the love of it. I dont sense that hes one of those writers concerned with the numbers or one that aggressively seeks out your attention. Hes passionate and genuine, and it turns out hes a pretty freaking good writer, too.

I read and enjoyed his previous release, BRAIN DEAD BLUES (Sinister Grin Press, 2017), a really good collection of short stories
Tim Meyer
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More top-notch writing from Matt Hayward. In What Do Monsters Fear?, Matt digs deep into his characters, giving us a colorful cast the reader can easily identify with. The novel touches on many themes dealing with addiction and facing one's fears, something that's not necessarily new to the genre, but Hayward manages to keep the plot fresh with his unique narrative and strong story-telling abilities. Definitely a must-read for genre junkies who crave throwback horror with a strong taste of ...more
Timbo
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-ebooks
Remind me to never, ever enter a rehab facility.
Rachel  Drenning
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great 80s style horror novel from Matt Hayward. My review is at

Brandon
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS is what I am talking about.

What Do Monsters Fear is Matt Hayward's first novel and I am beyond impressed. I'm going to go ahead and say this is a must read, with strong potential for it to be on my favorite books to come out this year list.

It tells the story of Peter, a former rock star with a crumbling life and baby on the way. Beyond that, he's got a drinking problem that is on its last legs of sustainability.

Hitting rock bottom, he checks into a rehabilitation facility. Rock bottom
Kevin Lucia
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid entry by an author who I'll be sure to read more of.
J.C. Brennan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Matt, and it will not be the last.
What do Monsters Fear? Combines a few rehab patients with an ancient evil, what could be more fun!
The story brings the reader suspense, drama, and a little blood and guts that provides that icy chill one gets when reading a good old-fashion horror.
I would recommend this one to all horror lovers
Jamie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While at Scares That Care Weekend this year, I met so many wonderful authors, but had limited space to bring books back home in my suitcase. So, the first night there, I did a little digging on GoodReads to view the synopses of the books from the authors whose work interested me. Id read and loved Matt Haywards collaboration with Robert Ford, and decided to pick up a copy of The Faithful, and also the book Ill be discussing hereWhat Do Monsters Fear?

I love that while we all love many of the
David Murphy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to start a review with a description and I want to keep it short, synopsis on goodreads gives a very good idea what to expect from this story wise. It's very hard to compare Matt Hayward's style of writing to anyone else, or his books to any other books. He stands out by himself and has proven that with his first novel. If you do want a comparison think one flew over the cuckoos nest with elements of the shining, at least that's what I thought.

I read this in a day, once you have
John Quick
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well-told character study that just happens to include demons and some decidedly brutal deaths. Can't wait to see what's next from Matt Hayward!
Bob
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent horror novel taking place in a remote rehab facility. Lovecraftian tie-ins. Hope there's a sequel. This edition includes 3 cool short stories. Highly recommended!
Rob Errera
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What do monsters fear?

Responsibility. Withdrawal symptoms. Owning up to their past mistakes.

One of the recovering addicts in Matt Haywards creep-fest What Do Monsters Fear? sums up the plot in a few well-chosen words:

Three strung-out fucks are gonna stop an ancient evil god?

Hell, yeah, they are! Because the ancient evil goda body-snatching baddie called Phoboshas underestimated the drive and determination of men with nothing left to lose.

Theres a claustrophobic quality to this novel comparable
Mkittysamom
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do monsters fear..Hmm

I know the answer to that now! But I cant tell you, if you want to know.. you have to read all about Peter the former rockstar and his friends he meets in rehab! Turns out that addicts especially are very underestimated and the truest thing is when they are threatened usually they are already at the point where they have nothing left to loose since.. addiction tends to swallow everything it crosses. (Im speaking from personal experience.. we are tough cookies!
Russell Coy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR? is a gem of a debut novel. Hayward ratchets up the tension one notch at a time and creates a thick atmosphere of isolation and dread, then goes into ambush mode in the second half, filling the pages with gore and action. The pacing is pitch-perfect, and the characters are well-drawn and relatable throughout. Highly recommended.
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What Do Monsters Fear? is Matt Hayward's first book. I read his short story collection, Brain Dead Blues, earlier this year, which I really enjoyed. What Do Monsters Fear? is on point! I was hooked from the first scene!

Peter Laughlin starts contemplating suicide after he wakes up from a binger in his own mess one too many times. He is about to go through with it, but he finds an advertisement for rehabilitation in the back of a paper. He decides to go to rehab to straighten out his life because
Kallie (pageandparlor) Lou Weisgarber
I flew through the second have of this book. It forced me to keep turning the pages. The writing in this book is wonderfully descriptive. I kept playing the scenes in my mind and loving it. The gore was perfect and Im pretty sure Ive seen a house or two like the one in this book. The main characters are so likable. This book is a fun and quick read that makes you appreciate your loved ones and music. As a musician, I appreciated and understood the ending so well. ...more
Jeff Terry
I'm beginning to think it's me. I've asked myself the hard questions: Dude, what's wrong with you? Don't you want to have fun? Do you hate fun now? Why you got these high standards all of a sudden?

I just haven't been happy with much of what I'm reading lately. And this book was the most recent example.

You should know that the Thunderstorm Books edition contains the short novel What Do Monsters Fear? as well as four short stories.

The novel started out very promising. There were a few moments
Seán O'Connor
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Feel Good Hit of the Summer!

Matt Hayward's debut novel is a fast paced, rock 'n'roll horror story.
It is a very impressive debut novel from one of the emerging voices in horror fiction - With interesting characters and a plot that powers along dragging the reader with it, What Do Monsters Fear? is a tale about about one mans redemption and his battle against the demon that keeps him from living the life he desires.

With a setting reminiscent to Ken Kasey's One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, I'd
James
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun even without polish

This was a fun horror story. The Kindle edition has lots of typos and some of the writing was a bit sophomoric, but I would still recommend it. Ill probably also try another book of Haywards, as well. Hes off to a good start.
DENNIS g BRUNSWICK
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

This book was a good quick read. Some of it was a little over the top but it was fun. My only complaint would be the editing. Pretty shabby.
AlexFromIA
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic combination of physiological thriller and Old One Horror. Hayward knows how to creates some damn creepy atmosphere. He answers the question what do monster fear through out the novel. Highly recommend for any horror fan.
Brian
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Goodness gracious this was awful. Typos and grammar errors that should have been caught by decent editors (laundry shoot?). Utterly predictable and boring plot. Gratuitous gore and just dull.
Randy

• The Pale White
  • Welcome to the Show
  • Bone White
  • Video Night
Matt Hayward is a Bram Stoker Award-nominated author and musician from Wicklow, Ireland. His books include Brain Dead Blues, What Do Monsters Fear?, Practitioners (with Patrick Lacey), The Faithful, and A Penny For Your Thoughts (with Robert Ford). He compiled the award-winning anthology Welcome To The Show and wrote the comic book This Is How It Ends (now a music video) for the band Walking ...more