Start by marking “Convergence (Winter Solstice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Convergence (Winter Solstice, #1)

Convergence

(Winter Solstice #1)

Solstice Winters has spent most of her life halfway between normal society and the world of her magical parents. However, when getting caught between two worlds becomes more than metaphorical, being able to summon light or open locks might not be enough.

Neither her love life nor her professional life are going anywhere in a hurry. Her boyfriend is successful and handsome,
Published July 31st 2017 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Convergence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convergence

Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Convergence (Winter Solstice #1) by Matthew S. Cox and J.R. Rain is such a wonderful and awesome book! I fell in love with this book right away and was glued to it to the end! The world goes nuts after the "Convergence". People are thinking it is caused by the Hadren particle collider opening a portal to another realm. It is increasing the magic that is already in the world. Solstice is a gal that works at a magazine for the supernatural. She is good at it too. She also has a bit of magic and he ...more
Kirsty ❤️
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
liked this a lot. It's like a mystery, chick-lit with elves and potential alternate worlds. I love it when genres are played about with.

Solstice is a photo journalist for a small time paranormal magazine, snapping away at potential entities for a mag that has hardly any readers. She dreams of hitting the big time and moving to a heavy hitter newspaper. What she doesn't dream of is being an elf! After an accident at Cern that ripples across the whole world she wakes up blonder and with pointy e
Roslyn
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This doesn't break any new ground, but uses the tropes of urban fantasy (snarky, smart narrative female voice, supernatural creatures in our world, etc.) in a fresh and interesting way. I will happily read the next in the series as soon as it comes out.
Carrie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Wow – what an intro to a huge new world! We’ve got paranormals, MIB, giant bird things, and so much I can’t even wrap my head around. This was definitely a deep dive into the world of magic and mayhem.

Solstice is a reporter for a paranormal paper. It would be pretty strange if she hadn’t grown up around magic. In this world, when normal are confronted with magic they easily rationalize it all away. Some people, however, are more open to seeing it. All of that changes when “the convergence” happe
Marie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solstice Winters, not quite human but not just magical, a photojournalist working for a paper. The paper is dedicated to the supernaturals and humans believing it to be a tabloid. She is caught between the two worlds. Magical beings start appearing all over the Earth, she sets out to get irrefutable proof. Solstice winds up wanted by a three-letter government agency and an ancient group of mage since she herself is magical.
Kathy - Books & Munches
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2017
The first thing you need to know about this book is that I never got bored, not even a little bit! All events happen in a good pace which barely leaves you time to get bored or ask questions. You just want to keep reading!
As soon as you feel like you can catch your breath, you're half-way in the next situation Solstice tumbles into. It's a book that keeps building on the previous layer of the story. I loved that!

There isn't a whole lot of world-building going on, but in this case I thought it wo
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solstice knows magic exists but she’s one of the few who does - and it doesn’t overly affect her job as a photographer or her relationship. Unfortunately, since neither are doing extremely well.

And then something happens, the Convergence - and Solstice’s career is definitely picking up. Oh, and apparently she’s not even human. While being an elf explains a lot of things, it also makes her very much in demand. Including by some very unethical people...

Ok, shameful confession time - I had pretty
Beaches&Books
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solstice Winters has spent most of her life halfway between normal society and the world of her magical parents. Neither her love life nor her professional life are going anywhere in a hurry. At thirty-two, she works as a photojournalist for The Spiritualist, a small paper dedicated to magic and the supernatural―that most people regard as a tabloid. Desperate for that ‘one break,’ she’ll do almost anything to get that big story and get into a ‘real’ media outlet.
After an error at a particle phys
Leticia
I received this eBook from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Solstice Winters walks between two worlds. The normal world and the magical world her parents brought her up in. Little does she know, she is much closer to that magical world than she ever bargained for. Especially when her cat, Mr. Moody, is as snarky as his name.

J.R. Rain and Matthew S. Cox make a really awesome writing team. The writing was seamless. You honestly wouldn’t know there were two different authors. Clearly,
Dmcl
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Cox and J.R. Rain make a wonderful team as proven by Convergence, the first book in the Winter Solstice series. Here we are introduced to Solstice Winters, a photojournalist working for The Spiritualist, a tabloid dedicated to going after magic and paranormal activity. She is also a practitioner who was raised in a world filled with Magic. She is a wonderful character who, like the story, is quirky, witty, strong and hip deep in the results of a convergence of dimensions caused by the La ...more
Sheridan Lee
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong ensemble of supporting characters and an extraordinary main character

The story is fun too. Sol deals with everyday life struggles. A lack listed career and a boyfriend who puts his career first. Then the unthinkable happens and magic is reintroduced to our world. Sol figures out she isn't your average 30 something woman and then she really finds out who loves her and who doesn't.
The supporting characters are just as interesting as the main character! Oftentimes supporting characters dis
Christine
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Bond but with boobs and pointy ears

It starts off nice and slow and draws you in. Then you just cannot put it down. When magic seeps into their world some wonderful and some dark and deadly things happen. Elves, Griffin, huge blue eagles, and a talking cat are some of the wonderful. Secret societies are some of the bad. The action scenes are nothing short of Bond quality. The ending is a bit abrupt and left me craving for more. Curse you JR Rain! It's challenging to fluctuate between Solsti
Shakera
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book amazed me! I thought the synopsis was interesting, but I thought it would go how most books have been going for me lately... great synopsis, but poor execution. I was never bored with this one. Solstice is an awesome character, with an even more sassier cat. There was intrigue, mystery, and humor. I can't wait until the next story! (I would love this to be an audio book!)
Valerie Joyce
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

A different take on the paranormal. Great characters and very well written. Really hope that there are more books coming
Carol Rosenberg-fox
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free for an honest review. Honestly, I wished the book continued and now can't wait for the second in the series. Solstice is baffled at what happened to her after a strange night. She teams up with Mr Moody. A great book and I highly recommend it.
Toni
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting variance of the paranormal genre. I enjoyed getting to know Solstice Winters and how she deals with the news that she's an elf. The explanation of a rift in the vail and the presence of magic in the world was at least plausible. Generally good J. R. Rain subject matter told in an entertaining way.
Sofiraindrop
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy by NetGalley

Convergence is not an easy book to summarize. It is weird and shows as much paranormal as a fantasy book should. At first I was kind of meh, but it got better as the plot advanced. So even if you get stuck in the first few pages, you should keep on with it, it's definitely worth it!
Anita
I enjoyed this story so much that I read all three of the series (so far) back-to-back on Kindle Unlimited. It's about a magical reawakening of the Earth (which was hurried along ahead of the normal every thousand-years-or-so schedule by technology.) The magic revealed that the heroine (Winter) is actually an elf, and the first book has a lot of other creatures that have crossed over from other dimensions. The characters are all likeable, there's a sprinkle of light-hearted humor, and enough mys ...more
Jean Ramsey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
convergence is a really good book. the main character is excellent, the story is fast paced and holds your attention! I found myself staying up late because I couldnt put the book down! the only thing I did not like was the story was too short and over too soon! you need to write some longer books about these characters! I hope you are starting a new series.
Alisa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for more

This is starting off as a great series. It's got the magic aspect of some "cozies" and the bite all of them are missing. The storyline is already well developed with the promise of more great things to come.
Natalie Andrew
Winter Solstice

I felt the book was pretty slow to start off with , book picks up towards the end but doesn't keep you enthralled. Hmmm I'm going to give the next book a go as I do enjoy JR Rain and Matthew S Cox other books.
Louise Feagans
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Convergence

J. R. Rain and Matthew S. Cox have another best seller out! Convergence is a wonderful story of magic, elves and other delightful magical creatures and people. Give this series a read and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have.
Judy A. Kuhl
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual, fun book!

I would read a menu written by J.R. Rain. This is a very good book. It was different, humorous, and just plain fun to read. Now I have to read the next book in the series.
Glenda
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
stopped after reading 56% . hated it.
Dianna Sandora Sandora
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great story! Always love it when life changes radically for characters and Winter handles it well.
Raymond Neil
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book is very entertaining. The characters are very well developed and I cannot wait to see what else is going to happen.
Sherrisa Balzly
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books so far, almost as much a Samantha Moon!
Nicole Hughes
Mar 09, 2019
Caroline Gabel
Aug 04, 2017
Dorothy
Nov 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Stiltskin
  • The Hand of Raziel (Daughter of Mars, #1)
  • Wolf
  • Zhukov's Dogs
  • Reviled
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • Myths of Mish (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #2)
  • Gears of Fate (Forgotten Gods Book 1)
  • Redeye (The Wonderland Cycle #2)
  • Havelock
  • The Heroine's Journey
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think

Winter Solstice (3 books)
  • Containment (Winter Solstice, #2)
  • Catalyst (Winter Solstice, #3)