Start by marking “Bubblegum” as Want to Read:
Bubblegum

Bubblegum

Tiana is your typical pampered young blonde with a love for expensive shoes, hot guys, and murder.

After Tiana is cut off from her family’s riches, she takes advantage of her talents and becomes a killer for hire. It’s a lucrative business in her country, where a call to the police can amount to a lifetime of debt.

Her first client: Julia, a lower-class IT genius, lesbian,
Published October 9th 2017 by Sari Taurez

To ask other readers questions about Bubblegum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bubblegum

Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿
*I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Bubblegum sure as heck is a wild ride!

The cover art is perfect because this book reads a lot like a high-action comic book. The main character, Tiana, is something of a self-proclaimed vigilante for hire in a mess of a futuristic dystopian world. Instead of getting a main character who really cares about the terrible things the police or government are doing, Taurez gives us a girl who sees a way to work the system.
Jenny
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My friend mentioned the author of this book was looking for ARC reviewers on Goodreads so I asked for one and actually got an ebook copy to review (thank you!).
This review was also posted on my blog.

My timing for picking this up was pretty perfect because I've been reading really slow paced and/or depressing books lately so this was a nice change.

Bubblegum was so much fun to read! Despite it dealing with a lot of dark things like prostitution and human trafficking it manages to not be depressing
BookwormKristie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
*An ARC copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. I would like to thank the author for the copy*

Bubblegum was such an action packed rollercoaster of events, where do I begin? There are so many elements of this book that I loved: it was diverse, it was witty, it had strong feminist characters and there were so many twists and turns thatI had to do a double take at times!

I enjoyed the dystopian world this book created, while it set up
Beth
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is a fantastic book. I mean it really is great, fantastic, brilliant!. The characters are super interesting and flawed but still great characters. The action is non-stop, the story kicks off with a bang! It is extremely well-written, travels between deep description and constantly pushing the action forward and keeping your interest no matter what. Essentially this story is set in a that a semi-dystop
Toastyfrog (Ruth)
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book although it's not something i would normally think to read. In a dystopian future society, a rich 20something woman is cut off from her family's wealth and finds she really enjoys the life of a killer for hire.
The plot is at times quite heavy handed but altogether a fun read.
Megan (Under the Book Cover)
Review also posted at: https://underthebookcover.blogspot.co...

Thank you to Sari Taurez for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review! All opinions are my own.

This was an absolutely crazy wild insane ride of a book and I loved every second of it. I got an idea of what the book was about from the synopsis but it didn't prepare me for how insane this book was going to be. And I mean that in the best way possible!

Plot:
Because I want readers to get the same experience that I got f
Lia
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - RTC
ElenaSquareEyes
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free electronic advance reading copy of this book in return for an honest review*

Status means everything in this society, including the difference between life and death. Tiana is a pampered member of the higher class of society, until her mother cuts her off and she must make her own way in the world. Tiana has a plan though – she has a knack for murder. Julia is Tiana’s first client, a lower-class girl, who volunteers at the local orphanage – an orphanage that’s being targeted by
Travis West
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. Utterly fantastic. A wonderful cast of unique, flawed and diverse characters. LGBT superheroes. Non-stop action, from the first damn page. Well-written, highly readable prose, walking the line between deep description and constantly pushing the action forward.

The book could be described as SciFi, but I would probably stick in a column with Margaret Atwood-style speculative fiction, in that it's a semi-dystopian future that is disturbingly close to what we are living wi
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

Okay bare with me on this one because I made 8 pages of notes on this book and I’m not great at being coherent when I love something so here is to me trying to make it more readable for this review.

Sari contacted me on twitter offering me an eARC of Bubblegum to read, she pitched as a “Dystopian New Adult Thriller with feminist themes and LGBT characters” which of course I just had to say yes too.

I’m really
Liz Degagner
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Liz by: Lauren (Northern Plunder)
I don't usually rate a book with a full 5 stars but you know it's good if it takes me 3 days or less to finish it.

Lauren had suggested this book for this month's book club and when I looked at the cover I was going to pass. Then I happened to find it on here and read the synopsis. Even the synopsis made me think it was one of those over-hyped girly books but I discovered it was pleasantly not so.

The book could have benefited from some more world building since nothing explains the level bracelet
Megan EM
It's mainly an action book but I really liked the fact that many sexualities were represented. It's set in an alternate world with a class system and all sorts of dirty deeds. I liked it but was a little confused at times. I'll say 3.5 stars round up.
Kelsey Wheeler
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tiana is defintely not your usual strong leading lady! She is awful and twisted. But how many male characters have you fallen in-love with a dark personality like that! Well here you’ve got a high-heeled wearing, hot pink gun slinging bad-ass girl willing to sell out just about anyone to get her way. Did I mention her hot pink gun is named Bubblegum?

If you’re looking for an action story with lots of feminism and diversity, this is the book for you! I could definitely see Bubblegum being a graphi
Nia Ireland
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in an exaggerated but not altogether dystopian future, where people are ranked by social level - those in higher levels can get away with crimes and have access to better services that those in lower levels can't, including murdering lower level citizens.

As a part of this world, there is no communal police force. There are Enforcers, who would be more than happy to attend to all of your security needs... if you can pay. Which means that the lower levels that are more vulnerable to being vic
Lexine Higgins
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-books
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The story kind of reminded me of one of my favourite video games: Saints Row. It's crude and outrageous, fast paced and action packed, which made it so much fun to read.

I've never read an LGBT book before, so I didn't know what to expect when it came to the characters. I loved that the characters' sexualities did not define them. It was a trait, nothing more, which is how it should be in real life. Sexualities don't define people,
Challa Fletcher
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s like when my mom sat me down graduation eve, telling me I’d got an acceptance letter to work as a phone secretary down at the Senate. She said it was the best job she could buy me into with the grades I had, or else she knew a couple rich assholes looking for nice trophy wives as arm ornaments. She said if I was gonna live the life I wanted to live, it was one of those two choices. So what did I do? I made a third option.

And that option was gun-for-hire.

High level individuals can get away w
Kaylin McFarren
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of unlikely heroines and complex evil villains that you love to hate and grow to respect, and Sari Taurez delivers them in a BIG way in this cleverly-crafted book. It's jam-packed with interesting, diverse characters, and I found this novel unbelievably fun to read! It honestly kept me up all night with its twists and turns and high octane action. The cliff-hanging end was ingenuous and makes it possible for Taurez to continue her disturbing, spell-casting drama that readers are s ...more
D.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-reviewed, lgbtqa
Review originally posted at JustLoveReviews: https://justlovereviews.com/2017/10/0...

This book was hard to get through and I almost DNFed it but I wanted to see if it got better. Unfortunately, it did not and I really did not like it. The overall quality of the writing was good, but the plot and overall story was a cluttered mess and I couldn’t get over it. I found myself losing interest before I even made it halfway through the book because of the back and forth POV switches, over/under explain
Darius Jung
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great debut novel and a great start to a sci-fi series. Confidently written, it hits all the beats of a hero origin story, yet felt so fresh in its details.

Bubblegum is set in a cyberpunk-ish dystopia. Access is to everything is determined by your hardcoded social level. Law enforcement is paid through insurance coverage. It's recognizable as an American city, yet there's a monarchy. Familiar problems abound too: children trapped in a cycle of poverty, racism, transphobia.

The story c
Darius Jung
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

The story c
Kaa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A free copy of the book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Some parts of this book were awesome, but other things didn't quite work for me. It took a while for me to read because I just never totally got into it.

I thought Tiana was a great character. She was exactly the kind of mostly amoral, money- (and sex-)motivated killer I like in a woman. She was a terrible person and totally unapologetic about it, which made for a strong narrative voice.

I was really intrigued by J
Jessie Chick
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the very first sentence, I was hooked. Sari takes you on the ride of your life through the pages of Bubblegum. This book is set in a dystopian world and it was perfect for the story. Now, when you are a level 2  ranks, you should come from money. That is until you get cut-off and have to have a means of keeping your rank. So, what do you do? You become a killer for hire!

When I saw the word murder, I was figuring this book would be a book about murdering anyone who got in her way. But instea
Brandi Collins
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free after winning a contest on Twitter. This review is my honest opinion.

"Bubblegum" was nothing like I expected. I didn't read a full blurb about the novel prior to reading, I only had a one-sentence elevator pitch to go on.

It's rare that I like a book with an unlikeable main character, but it works for Tiana in this novel. She's hopelessly flawed but also has depth and vulnerability that comes out as the story progresses. The other characters of Ruby, Julia, and Pilg
Megan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an ARC copy of this book from the author to review.

So let me start off by saying: this book really surprised me! I loved how diverse the characters were (like Julia being a lesbian and the bisexual and transgender characters found further on in the story) and I feel like they were all represented well and not just in stereotypes. The romances and friendships all felt real and genuine, especially the fxf relationship later on in the book. The writing was well thought out and I really l
Lorraine (Reading With Lori)
*receiving an ARC from the Author doesn’t affect my honest opinions*

Trigger Warnings: Sex Trafficking, Biphobia, Blood, Sex, Prostitution, Profanity, Guns, Corpse, Cannibalism, Alcohol, Smoking

Let’s take a moment to appreciate how beautiful and lively the cover art is! Bubblegum discusses the dark truths within society that is hidden and silenced. This novel does have a kick ass female protagonist, but also has underlying tones to it such as Sex Trafficking which can be incredibly secretive and
Marisa
Apr 17, 2018
Maria
Apr 26, 2018
Liv
Mar 17, 2018 added it
DNF; most likely will pick up later on
Sam
Oct 04, 2018
Lily Kej
Jul 02, 2019
Great Female Prot...: BUBBLEGUM - Gritty in pink 1 8 Nov 13, 2017 04:37PM
Dystopia Land: BUBBLEGUM - Gritty in pink 1 7 Nov 13, 2017 04:32PM
Connecting Reader...: Seeking reviewers for female-led action ensemble 1 3 Nov 10, 2017 10:37PM
Sari Taurez lives in Arizona with her wife, daughter, dog and two cats. In her free time she crochets, paints, collects Star Trek action figures, and plays video games.

A film school graduate, Sari strives to make every novel feel like an action movie.

Sari is an advocate for LGBT rights, and strives to create thrilling adventures with LGBT characters.

Sari's debut novel Bubblegum is out now!