Start by marking “We're Not from Here” as Want to Read:
We're Not from Here

We're Not from Here

Imagine being forced to move to a new planet where YOU are the alien!

The first time I heard about Planet Choom, we'd been on Mars for almost a year. But life on the Mars station was grim, and since Earth was no longer an option (we may have blown it up), it was time to find a new home.

That's how we ended up on Choom with the Zhuri. They're very smart. They also look like
Published March 5th 2019 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about We're Not from Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Not from Here

Start your review of We're Not from Here
Betsy
Theres stuff in the publishing industry that everybody knows. For example, it wasnt that long ago that everybody knew that books with green covers wouldnt sell. Then Percy Jackson comes along and so much for that theory (its sepia covers that don't sell, anyway). Everybody knew that kids werent all that into fantasy right up until the moment Harry Potter started a worldwide craze. But theres a pretty persistent everybody knows theory floating around out there that continues to this day. It seems ...more
Morgan
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone agrees this was a very entertaining book.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Lan and his family live on a Martian space station. The earth is no longer hospitable and the space station is running out of food and oxygen. So what's left of the human race reaches out to the planet Choom that is run by the Zhuri species. After diplomatic efforts it is agreed that humans are welcome to join the Zhuri on the planet Choom... But to get there they need to be placed in stasis as the journey takes twenty years...

Flash forward twenty years later and a new conservative government is
Richie Partington
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Richies Picks: WERE NOT FROM HERE by Geoff Rodkey, Random House/Crown Books for Young Readers, March 2019, 256p., ISBN: 978-1-5247-7304-5

President Trump on Tuesday said that the nuclear launch button on his desk is much bigger and more powerful than that of the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un -- and that his button actually works.
-- The Hill (1/2/2018)

Show some emotion
Open your heart
Set free an ocean
Only a feeling can save us now
-- Celine Dion (1992)

Then Naya and I joined Ila, my parents, and
orangerful
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, sci-fi, music, family
This book was a lot smarter than I thought it was going to be. With the cover image featuring two large aliens that look like giant insects, I assumed it would just be goofy fun but it was so much more. Refugees who thought they were welcome find themselves suddenly vilified by the current government?! Forced to prove they are good creatures even though the news says they are clearly bad based on footage seen 20 years ago.

Definitely taking this with me for booktalks to upper elementary and
Сибин Майналовски
Very pleasant and delightful reading. Even adults may be interested in such kind of story, I hope... and for children it's definitely a must-read. Sad that it has no sequel I'd love to know what happened after the big finale :) ...more
Travis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley for an honest review**

Omg this was such a cute and interesting book. I really liked the unique setting, and just found myself flying through this story. This book is also extremely frustrating but in a way that makes you want to keep going to see how everything works out in the end! Definitely in my top middle grade favorites of all time now!
Sherry Guice
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit-sci-fi
Humorous and clever with multiple layers--I think children will like the voice of the main character who struggles to fit in a world far different. Maybe good for grades 4 and up???
Laura Gardner
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is officially one of my favorite books of the year. It manages to be funny, topical, and clever all in one. It's short, but very impactful. I can't wait to read it with students!
elissa
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
If I have to be home sick, at least there are lots of good books to keep me company. This science fiction story should be in all middle-grade collections. Exciting, with great characters, and interesting thoughts about immigration. Well-deserved Oddysey Honor yesterday, and it's inspired me to go back through the Oddyseys to help feed my audiobook addiction.
Laurie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6; Reading Level: 4.5

What would you do if the entire human population's fate rested on your shoulders?
This is what Lan and his family are having to do, they are trying to save the humans that are left after Earth was destroyed. They have been living on Mars for about a year but life is not good so they contacted Planet Choom. The official on Planet Choom agreed for them to come live there but after the long time travel, the new authorities have changed their minds. The problem
LauraW
I would find this interesting to read with a group of 5th through 8th graders. It wouldn't be a very challenging read for them, in terms of vocabulary or text quality, but it does have a number of issues I would find interesting to discuss, as the book progresses. For example, early on, the survivors of a catastrophe on Earth, who have moved to another planet have determined that they cannot live in perpetuity on that planet and must seek another planet. The choices seem to be 1) to return to a ...more
Chris
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j, not-graphic, humor, sci-fi, dark
The best comedy is always philosophy and social commentary underneath, and that's the case here. While bursting with entertaining humor, this science fiction tale offers thoughtful considerations of propaganda, mob mentality, refugees and immigrants, race relations, and more. Readers find themselves simultaneously laughing and thinking. It's a rare and deft feat. Definitely recommended.
"Hi. Yes . . . ?"

"Why do you kill other humans?"

The question felt like a punch in the stomach.

"I don't," I
Josephine
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: newbery-2020
With Earth destroyed, humans have successfully petitioned Planet Choom to take them in as refugees. Problem, it takes 20 years to get to Choom. They arrive and wake from suspended animation to learn they are no longer welcome. There is a new government now who thinks humans are mean and destructive.

Amora Persaud, whos on the ships Governing Council, is able to negotiate a trial run, in which the Mifune family will be allowed to land and prove humans can peacefully assimilate. Being the new kid
Lana
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great sci-fi middle grade adventure!
Planet earth is no longer inhabitable so a group of a few thousand recolonize on Mars, but that wasnt working out either. As things are getting worse on Mars they get an invitation to come to Planet Choom. Off they go to Choom, their last hope of survival and a 20 year trip.. When they get there they discover that Chooms government has changed their mind on the invitation.
So now what do they do? The government allows one family unit to stay as a
R. G. Nairam
I wanted a bit more from this than it gave me. I think it did a great job of exploring a number of various ideas, but very few of them to completed, nuanced conclusions. It felt like while the story did wrap up (a bit hurriedly), the themes were left hanging. There were also some things that were just never explained (why is Choom operating on a democratic system anyway? just because middle grade children will know what that means? are we supposed to understand Ila's depression as easily cured?) ...more
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I really, really loved this book. I have a thing for kids books that don't treat their audience like they need to be spoon-fed.

The story starts with Lan and their family going to the planet Choom after being in a sleep for decades.
Unfortunately the government has changed and the Hunan's are no longer welcome.
What happens next is an very well written story of xenophobia and the friendships with the
Linds
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of interesting points of discussion. If a planet promises refuge, do they have to keep that promise if government changes hands? If emotion has caused what amounted to genocide, is it safer to eliminate all emotion? Since humans are guilty of such destruction in their history, how can humans as a species be trusted? What's the value of art and humor in a culture? And so on.

But what I found most compelling in this book was the how the main character was written to be
Alyssa
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
WE'RE NOT FROM HERE is a fantastic blend of funny and serious, with some really smart moments. At its core it is a timely immigration story about government, culture-clashes, propaganda, and assimilation; but it is also about aliens that spit venom, threaten to eat you, or steal your stuff. Lan is a plucky, relatable character and despite the whacky scenarios that arise when trying to fit into an alien culture, this book has a lot of heart.
Yapha
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic novel addressing issues of immigration and what we think we know about groups of people. Humans have destroyed Earth and are searching for a new place to live. Unfortunately, the one plant that is livable, is concerned that humans are too violent. So it is up to Lan and his family to prove that they can live peacefully and contribute to society. Highly recommended for grades 4 & up.
Liz
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is super-cute science fiction with some interesting aliens. I'd have liked it if it delved a little deeper in the "are humans violent" idea (and how the aliens who are pushing back also have violent tendencies). It also could have gone a little deeper into the importance of art and music, and Ila's depression. But it's a lot of fun with action and humor.
Valerie McEnroe
Sep 11, 2019 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: science-fiction
The audiobook is terrible.
DaNae
Sure WE'RE NOT FROM HERE is set galaxies away in a future after the Earth has been destroyed, but its issues are extremely 2019-Earth relevant. A funny and fanciful story that uses allegory to explore immigration and the first amendment.
Martha
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed Geoff Rodkey's storytelling since I first read Deadweather and Sunrise, with brave yet often petrified Egg, from the Chronicle of Egg series long ago. Once again many books later we meet brave Lan also often frightened, in the new series opener We're Not from Here. Lan's family is one of the last ones to leave earth in time. This situation occurrs because Earth becomes too polluted for survival, so Lan and his family along with other aware humans move to the planet of Mars. ...more
Charlotte
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, lib19
very entertaining
Anna Taylor
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, interesting, fast-paced, and includes a protagonist that never reveals their gender. This book exceeds the cover which in itself is a reason to pick up the book. Currently craving those food blocks though...
Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Lan, Ila and their family live on Mars in a colony of under 3,000 people who escaped Earth after it was made uninhabitable. However, the supplies are dwindling quickly, and life there is unsustainable. There is the possibility of terraforming another planet, but there's no time. Luckily, the group receives an invitation from the residents of Choom, which is conducive to human life. Only about half the residents want to go (the other half return to Earth), so they take
Netty loves to read
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read!! Enjoyed the story line and with the hot topic these days being aniut climate change and going to the moon, also somewhat appropriate.
KidlitUnderground
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#randomhouse #partner - Happy book birthday to Geoff Rodkeys WERE NOT FROM HERE! As if Rodkeys NYT Bestselling Author status wasnt enough intro WERE NOT FROM HERE calls out and leverages the imagination co-creation between author and reader in a sci-fi / political satire manages to be both profound and hilarious.

Im going to put one of the most brilliant parts of this book up front: We can guess at Lans race, but we dont know his/her gender. Going back to the whole this book is brilliant thing,
Brenda Kahn
Rodkey takes the "moving household" theme to a new level in this thought-provoking and humorous sci-fi adventure. Humans have made life on Earth irreversibly uninhabitable and are searching for a hospitable intergalactic environment. Mars is out. Choom is willing but in the 20 years it takes to get there, the gov't changes and wants the humans gone. Fast-paced and wholly believable, this is not to be missed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Pie in the Sky
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Clean Getaway
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
Geoff Rodkey is the author of the New York Times bestseller THE TAPPER TWINS GO TO WAR (WITH EACH OTHER) and its sequels; the critically acclaimed CHRONICLES OF EGG adventure-comedy series; THE STORY PIRATES PRESENT: STUCK IN THE STONE AGE, a comic novel bundled with a how-to guide for kids who want to create stories of their own; and the forthcoming science fiction novel WE'RE NOT FROM HERE ...more

News & Interviews