Start by marking “Mischief (Mischief, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mischief (Mischief, #1)

Mischief

(Mischief #1)

GETTING AWAY WITH MISCHIEF

Fifth grader Slater Hannigan wants to keep his big man on campus status.
It does not matter that he glued the teacher’s chair cushion to her skirt last year—
he gets away with everything because of his powerful mother who has secured his popularity by throwing him over-the-top Halloween Haunts.

But when the friendless girl in class discovers the sec
Published September 21st 2017 by Pressman Books

To ask other readers questions about Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischief

Start your review of Mischief (Mischief, #1)
Michelle Stanley
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite

Mischief, Book 1 is a modern day Tom Sawyer adventure from Stefania Shaffer. Slater Hannigan isn’t pleased when he learns that his fifth-grade teacher is Dana Burbank. But Miss Burbank isn’t thrilled either, having to endure the never-ending pranks of this troublesome, glib talking ten-year-old, who gets away with everything.

When the school has a pie throwing contest, Slater and his friends conspire to earn the most money in order to win the cov
Vernita Naylor
Brothers Slater and Graham Hannigan are as mischievous as they come; they're always up to something. Of the two boys, Slater is the most rambunctious in Mischief Book 1: Mischief Series by Stefania Shaffer. Slater will stop at nothing when he has his mind set on something, even if it means that others are affected. Like last year, when Graham broke his arm and had to have his new souvenir Super Bowl jersey cut, that his dad had just bought him, so that he could be operated on. Did Slater feel ba ...more
Erin
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable middle grade novel packed with nonstop adventure and laughs! We meet charming and sometimes mischievous little characters that middle grade readers will certainly identify with. The families are dynamic and realistic. Reluctant readers will appreciate the easy flowing, vivid detail that makes it easy to visualize each scene in this action filled story.

If you're a fan of Halloween you are in for a REAL treat as you experience Slater's epic Halloween Haunt right along side his cl
Lucas
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Once again, Shaffer has done a fantastic job at capturing life in the classroom.

If you've been a teacher for any length of time then you have had a "Slater" in your class. Where he is, mischief follows. And of course, he is always 'innocent' of the infractions.

Whether it's the first day of school, a Halloween party, hanging out with his friends, etc., Slater's ability to make the most of his opportunities leaves his friends howling in laughter. That is until someone begins to notice the things t
Roberta
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodread
Slater is always up to mischief and gets away with it. He's also the most popular boy in school because his mom gives him these incredible elaborate halloween parties. Slater has his gang of friends always doing something he wants them to do. The last thing in the book is a tremendous mishappening by slater and his friends and I sure do wonder if they are going to get out of this last one??? Very good book of how the kids get into mischief within the school and out of school and how the teachers ...more
Charlotte
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Slater is an extremely mischievous boy just starting 5th grade. His poor teacher had him for 4th grade and is so fed up with him that she even thinks of quitting. His parents can see no wrong in Slater so do nothing but enabled his behavior. Stefania Shaffer puts a lot into these characters and makes them almost real. She has put a great amount of development into Slater. The book does leave off at a cliffhanger, so look for book 2
Christine
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mischief tells the tale of Slater Hannigan, a mischievous 5th grader. Slater is *the* class prankster. His mission seems to be to torment his teacher, Miss Burbank. I could tell from reading the book that the author has been a teacher (as am I).

Middle school kids would enjoy reading about this prankster and his friends. The only negative I can see is that the books is a bit wordy and sometimes seems geared toward an older audience with word choices/style.
Caitlin Zonder
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this cute story. Slater gets into quite a few shenanigans during the school year. As a teacher, I felt for Miss Buchanan on several occasions. His mom sure knows how to throw some amazing parties, that I would have loved to go to as a kid. Kids will really enjoy this story and like me, will want to read the next to find out what else Slater gets into!
Jenenenicholson
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the "Shenanigans" of Slater Hannigan. This book is for anyone who likes adventure, mystery and good old-fashioned fun! The Halloween Haunt chapter transports you to a spooky night rich in details and high-jinks. It will be interesting to see how the characters evolve over the entire four book series.
Julia
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining book, with good promise for exciting adventure for the series. The writing was descent, but the flow was a bit off. At times I thought I skipped a page as the events were not always fully developed and details felt missing. Scenes jumped around a bit. Despite this, I otherwise enjoyed the book and would recommend this for a YA reading.
Daina
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mischief is an incredible read sure to capture the attention of even the most reluctant of readers. Shaffer brings characters to life through vivid description and lively dialogue. Within the first few pages, Slater and Graham some to life and I couldn't wait to see what shenanigan's were coming next. I highly recommend this read!
Elizabeth Braden
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book that young readers will find engaging. Children can relate to these characters and the emotions they go through. The book also leaves a good ending while setting readers up to want more from book 2. Good job, Stefania.
Pam Wallach Kefer
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Very entertaining and well written. It was a joy to read as the characters are so well developed. I loved the plot, and the title is perfect!. A great start to a series of books, can't wait for the next one!
Penny Warner
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Stefania Shaffer’s first book in her new series, MISCHIIEF, and loved it!
Perfect for middle-grade readers, with a crazy misadventures, perilous pranks and fun characters.
Highly recommend it. (Got a preview copy.)
Joyce Walter
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More! More! More! I was drawn into this wonderful book of Mischief from the very first page. Ms. Shaffer captures the journey through adolescence of Slater in such a way that we can all recall our own childhood and remember the Slater's of our time. We saw the obnoxious young boy, but also got a glimpse of the boy with a conscience too. I look forward to reading about his next pranks and how he evolves through the next books. I highly recommend reading this book, especially if you have boys. Enj ...more
Sally
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun, a great book for primary school aged kids. There's a lot of foreshadowing throughout the book which really builds up the mystery of what does Slater DO that's so bad! I'd definitely like to read on in the series :)

Amy
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an educator, I fell in love with the "poor teacher" from the beginning and could identify the main character "Slater" in my own school without hesitation. Each of the characters was real enough to stand-in for one of my students, and to make it relatable to middle-grade readers who will see themselves, and their peers in these pages. The element of mystery was wonderful, and I am excited to see that this is part of a series. More future reading for me!
Critter
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from a Goodreads giveaway.
Slater Hannigan pulls a lot of pranks in school and he never gets in trouble for his pranks. Miss Burbank had him as a student in fourth grade and in fifth grade he is once again one of her students. This was an incredible book. The characters felt very realistic. The story was very interesting and exciting.
Katie Washington
rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2018
Tena
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given a signed copy by the author, Stefania Shaffer. I instantly re-gifted it to a friend's very precocious bookworm (bookdragon) daughter who squealed in delight & vanished to her room. High praise indeed. ...more
Sheri Page
Dec 28, 2017
Rhonda Aquila
Enjoyable read. Wasn't as predictable so many books can be. Can't wait to read rest of series!
shir ariel
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2018
Megan
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Clipinchick
Mar 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the author/publisher in response for an honest review of the book. I have not had the opportunity to read this book at this time. I will add my
review of this book once I have read the book. Thank k you for allowing me the optometrist review your work. I look forward to reading this book.
Kelly Knapp
Leisa Denti
Jan 18, 2018
Toni Gleason
Jun 29, 2018
Stefania Shaffer traded a successful career in corporate America for the middle school classroom as an English Language Arts teacher. Fifteen years later she is expanding her role into writing elective curriculum that focuses on college and career readiness. She is the author of the fictional story Heroes Don’t Always Wear Capes about a student finally finding a few extraordinary teachers who beco ...more

Mischief (3 books)