Start by marking “The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance” as Want to Read:
The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance

The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance

The first book by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady—the five-time Super Bowl champion who is still reaching unimaginable heights of excellence at forty years old—a gorgeously illustrated and deeply practical “athlete’s bible” that reveals Brady’s revolutionary approach to sustained peak performance for athletes of all kinds and all ages.

In modern sports, some athl
Published September 19th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

da AL
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fitness
Tom Brady is definitely to be admired. As for his book, this is more like a coffee-table book. Lots of basics about eating right, as well as discussion on the importance of keeping limber as well as strong.
Rob
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tom: "The secrets to my success are threefold. I have an exercise routine that consists of pliability training to make my muscles softer and longer..."

Me: OK, makes sense, I'm not a doctor but that seems plausible.

Tom: "... and a diet that consists of mostly vegetables..."

Me: Neat! I don't know why people said this book was so crazy. Vegetables are great!

Tom: "... and special ceramic bands and clothes that my company developed that impart mystical bio energy to my muscles, and that you can buy
Debbi
Inspirational. Humble. Family. Faith. Quarterback. Finesse. Patriot. Wolverine. Fitness. Perseverance. Dedicated. Loyal. Friend. Father. Husband. Son. Brother. Uncle. Champion. Those are words that describe the greatest quarterback of our generation.

Tom Brady once again proves that he is a class act MVP on and off the field. He's the definition of the word Champion.

This book was extremely personal to me. It's a winning combination of health, wellness, fitness and mind. He gives his insights an
Eric C Cassidy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
the main takeaway is muscle pliability. contracting and relaxing your muscles during a massage of the muscle in the the direction of your heart to lengthen and soften the muscle. i am trying this on my low back where i have chronic pain after surgery. i have felt some interesting sensations as a result. his diet is sound, despite a few carbohydrate assumptions like assuming you will need snacks between meals. but hes the GOAT and i wont hold it against him for not going keto. he is living proof ...more
Bon Tom
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, after so many years in sports I managed to learn something new. Pliability. Totally missed this one and I have to admit, it makes perfect sense. I don't fully agree with some other, nutrition related stuff, especially not making distinction between wholesale and raw milk, but pliability and hydration parts are golden. I'm usually scientific minded and demand proofs and trials, but as somebody else said, "whoever mocks Brady needs to make quick comparison of cv's". This guy is living proof ...more
Cathy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Like everyone else, I am fascinated by Tom Brady and how he manages to continue to perform at an elite athletic level even as he ages. This was an interesting read although somewhat repetitive. My major takeaway is that I'm not willing to invest this amount of effort into maintaining my body :-)
Sara
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-story
It is common knowledge that Tom Brady is the product of a coupling between Satan and a cyborg from the future. The title of his book is an obvious homage to his genealogy, similar to T2 Judgement Day.
All jokes aside, this is a a decent book about a new training methodology. I even took screen shots of the section about plantar fasciitis relief exercises to send to a friend. There is some good information about muscle pliability, hydration, nutrition, and supplements.
Most people won’t be able to
Ben Azadi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
There's a ton of things I loved from Tom's book:

- Brady's mindset & dedication to his craft
- His advice on staying hydrated
- Getting quality sleep
- Plyability for injury prevent & treatment (going to buy a vibrating foam roller and sphere this week)
- Eating mostly vegetables and fiber

There were also several things I didn't agree with, or wish he would have went more into detail on.

- Saturated fats
- Canola oil
- Weightlifting benefits
- Hormones

Overall it was an interesting read. I've extra
Judith
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not a football fan, thus not a Tom Brady fan. But you have to admit, a 40 year old star quarterback who has won 6 Superbowls and is handsome, fit, and successful, merits investigation. I was so excited to get this book and to begin to understand how he does it. It slowly dawned on me that this is a person who literally devotes his life to his body, keeping it at peak performance for as long as he can. While this is a worthy goal, perhaps, the worthiest, it just doesn't work for the average p ...more
Lee Adams
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
To quote Billy Madison "At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumberfor having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." Sorry, Tom.
Tasos Manouras
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It is mostly an advertisement for the tb12 sports center but still learned a few things. Most of his theories are born out of personal experience rather than scientific evidence which makes the book borderline holistic in many instances.

Still learned that I can treat my Achilles's tendonitis by massaging the bottom of my foot, dairy can cause inflammation and got the vibrating sphere which as of now is the best work out gadget that I own.
Sean Tenaglia
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wouldn’t buy this for myself, but given it as a gift I figured it was worth checking out. This book has plenty of problems (as critics rightly point out), but there is some useful information.

First, the bad:
- Unless you have the money for personal training and/or expensive nutrition and workout gear, many of TB12’s points are incredibly difficult to apply (especially for a broke kid just out of college)
- Mentioning those expensive snacks and performance gear, the book definitely devolves into
KNCHNGL
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Much his book is based on common sense as opposed to clinical studies and/or trials.

Generally, I agree with him. Of his recap at the end of the book - hydrate, reduce caffeine & alcohol, eat whole natural foods, raw veggies, go organic because you are what you eat, avoid processed foods, sleep properly, re-balance your mind daily - most were common sense.

Most beneficial was hearing his take on doing resistance band training and no weights. Refreshing to hear a well-known athlete taking such
Joyce
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book gave me a good feel for what Tom Brady is like in real life and an appreciation for his strong work ethic. A majority of the book dealt with his strategies for making himself one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and what enables him to do it year after year. That being said, this book is not just for pro athletes, but he emphasizes that his techniques are applicable to everyone, no matter their age or their athletic prowess. Much of the information about diet and lifestyle habits I ...more
Donna
Oct 23, 2017 added it
Recommended by my massage therapist, this book details superstar athlete Tom Brady’s holistic approach to maintaining optimum health and fitness as we age. TB12 Method includes pliability training, resistance band workouts, the importance of hydration, whole foods nutrition, even brain challenges. The writing is upbeat and motivational, so much so that I’ve already ordered the bands.
Lou Berthelson
The book is just what I was hoping it would be, a detailed look at a low inflammation way to workout, refuel and take care of my body. As a golfer, I am challenged to create relaxed speed, power and accuracy. The TB12 method is the perfect way to achieve and sustain it.
Robin
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh where to start... First, I LOVE watching him play football. He is truly a master at the game. And I so wanted to like this book and find some real value...

First, good take aways from the book: clean eating, daily exercise, not overtraining, positive attitude. Yes to all, and undoubtedly a major reason why he is so good at his job.

For the "not-so-goods": basic, high-level information on all of the above, that was simply repackaged into the "infomercial" that is this book. Repetitive, repetiti
Eileen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a perfect week to read Tom Brady's right before Superbowl weekend. I learned about his life growing up in California, college days, and pro times. Most interesting that he said he was a late bloomer and not a superstar but trained and had the drive to become one. His TB12 Method is a holistic program of eating right, hydrating, and training with attention to what he calls pliability of the muscles to enhance performance. Some of my take aways form the book included:
-Hydrate more!!! I need
JD
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sport
I am a big Tom Brady fan as he is an immense athlete and being the 199th draft pick nobody gave him a chance, but he has proved everyone wrong and has had one of the most illustrious careers in the sporting world... But even though the book starts okay with a bit of background on him and has some good exercises in the middle, the rest is almost just an advert for his TB12 Method, so if you are not interested in that, do not get this book. Luckily I got the book for free on Great On Kindle, other ...more
Ingrid Gustafson
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I think the underlying ideas of proper nutrition, hydration, sleep, etc. are important for a healthy lifestyle and athletic performance, the way these ideas are presented seem extreme and unrealistic/unattainable for amateur athletes. My takeaway is just a reminder to look at all areas of your life to find areas for improvement in regards to performance.
Emily
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I heard it on an NPR podcast and had to get it out of the library out of curiosity. Ha. So terrible. And why wouldn’t you make it 12 chapters? What a missed opportunity.
Kristen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Most of it was hokie but a few interesting things to chew on. If that were allowed and fight cause inflammation.
Matt
May 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
The most repetitive and basic book on health and fitness I have ever read, and I've read them all.
Jim Carty
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good ideas. Definitely worth the read and I've put some of the practices in to use with positive results.
Sandy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was held hostage by this book on a recent road trip. (Or, I guess you could say my husband was driving and wanted to listen to this, and so as a passenger in the car for 22 hours, I was also forced to listen to it.)

There is some good advice. There's also a lot of weird stuff. And contradictory stuff. Tom says he eats tons of fresh vegetables and to never eat something out of a package, but then four hours later, the book is like an infomercial for his power bars and electrolyte drinks.

I now kn
Bakertyl
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is half decent, half sales pitch.

A bunch of good information that has been available in exercise books for years, and then TOM BRADY shoved into your face for awhile.

The workout information is nothing new, solid stuff but I read this ten years ago... oh, you have a brand new way of doing things, and it requires going to your expensive ass clinic to get treated?? How is that even remotely helpful?

And all those products he sells?? He goes through an entire bottle of TB12 brand electroly
Barbara
Full disclosure, I am a huge New England Patriots fan and like Tom Brady. So coming into this book of course I'm going to be interested and like it overall. From my own experience with exercise and fitness (I'm not an athlete per-say but I work out 4-6 times a week and have done a few half marathons) I think he's definitely got some great advice in here. The pliability thing sounds interesting and clearly he's onto something since the guy plays better than ever 40 years old. My only real issue w ...more
Holdon Son
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked this one less and less as I continued to read. Pliability sounds interesting, resistance bands probably are better for strength training than advertised, but so much of this triggers a BS alarm.
Ali
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Meh... This book is one giant advertisement for his expensive sleepwear, electrolytes, and protein powder, plus becoming a client of his facility in MA. The first part of the book about his time at Michigan was interesting. The pliability part seems really cool and is something I'd like to try if I lived near the facility and were rich enough to afford it, but it doesn't have any science backing it up... I'd like to see some science backing up all his theories about pliability.

He has a lot of c
Jim Razinha
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay...this is an extended infomercial, but he's playing at an MVP level at age 40 in a sport that has a half-life of what? 3-4 years? Thought I'd check it out.

Seemed like a lot of voodoo in the beginning, but I have to admit, he wore me down. Pliability. Say that 10,000 times fast. (He did.) "Lengthen and soften" - muscles, folks...get with the program! Sports improvement relies on repetition. Books, however, are hurt by it. And there is a lot of repetition. Often within a page or two, or even
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Die Freiheit, frei zu sein
  • Humanity
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • The Art of Letting Go: Living the Wisdom of St. Francis
  • Wer wir waren
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • Smile
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
  • Speaking of Faith
  • Ein Tag im Jahr
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • The Thinking Life: How to Thrive in the Age of Distraction
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • Time Management Success Made Simple
Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. (born August 3, 1977) is an American football quarterback for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He is one of only two players to win five Super Bowls (the other being defensive player Charles Haley) and the only player to win them all playing for one team.

After playing college football for the University of Michigan, Brady was drafted b
“when things don’t go your way—or, rather, what you don’t think of as your way—there can be a variety of opportunities that may not be obvious in the moment but that through hard work, preparation, and persistence can present themselves over time and make you better.” 1 likes
“Muscles aren't for strength or for show. Their function is to protect your bone structure and to support the acts of daily living.” 0 likes