Start by marking “The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance” as Want to Read:
The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance

The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance

The first book by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady—the five-time Super Bowl champion who is still reaching unimaginable heights of excellence at forty years old—a gorgeously illustrated and deeply practical “athlete’s bible” that reveals Brady’s revolutionary approach to sustained peak performance for athletes of all kinds and all ages.

In modern sports, some athl
Published September 19th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

Start your review of The TB12 Method: How to Achieve a Lifetime of Sustained Peak Performance
da AL
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fitness
Tom Brady is definitely to be admired. As for his book, this is more like a coffee-table book. Lots of basics about eating right, as well as discussion on the importance of keeping limber as well as strong.
Rob
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tom: "The secrets to my success are threefold. I have an exercise routine that consists of pliability training to make my muscles softer and longer..."

Me: OK, makes sense, I'm not a doctor but that seems plausible.

Tom: "... and a diet that consists of mostly vegetables..."

Me: Neat! I don't know why people said this book was so crazy. Vegetables are great!

Tom: "... and special ceramic bands and clothes that my company developed that impart mystical bio energy to my muscles, and that you can buy
Debbi
Inspirational. Humble. Family. Faith. Quarterback. Finesse. Patriot. Wolverine. Fitness. Perseverance. Dedicated. Loyal. Friend. Father. Husband. Son. Brother. Uncle. Champion. Those are words that describe the greatest quarterback of our generation.

Tom Brady once again proves that he is a class act MVP on and off the field. He's the definition of the word Champion.

This book was extremely personal to me. It's a winning combination of health, wellness, fitness and mind. He gives his insights an
Sara
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-story
It is common knowledge that Tom Brady is the product of a coupling between Satan and a cyborg from the future. The title of his book is an obvious homage to his genealogy, similar to T2 Judgement Day.
All jokes aside, this is a a decent book about a new training methodology. I even took screen shots of the section about plantar fasciitis relief exercises to send to a friend. There is some good information about muscle pliability, hydration, nutrition, and supplements.
Most people won’t be able to
Eric C Cassidy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
the main takeaway is muscle pliability. contracting and relaxing your muscles during a massage of the muscle in the the direction of your heart to lengthen and soften the muscle. i am trying this on my low back where i have chronic pain after surgery. i have felt some interesting sensations as a result. his diet is sound, despite a few carbohydrate assumptions like assuming you will need snacks between meals. but hes the GOAT and i wont hold it against him for not going keto. he is living proof ...more
Bon Tom
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well, after so many years in sports I managed to learn something new. Pliability. Totally missed this one and I have to admit, it makes perfect sense. I don't fully agree with some other, nutrition related stuff, especially not making distinction between wholesale and raw milk, but pliability and hydration parts are golden. I'm usually scientific minded and demand proofs and trials, but as somebody else said, "whoever mocks Brady needs to make quick comparison of cv's". This guy is living proof ...more
Cathy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Like everyone else, I am fascinated by Tom Brady and how he manages to continue to perform at an elite athletic level even as he ages. This was an interesting read although somewhat repetitive. My major takeaway is that I'm not willing to invest this amount of effort into maintaining my body :-) ...more
Ben Azadi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
There's a ton of things I loved from Tom's book:

- Brady's mindset & dedication to his craft
- His advice on staying hydrated
- Getting quality sleep
- Plyability for injury prevent & treatment (going to buy a vibrating foam roller and sphere this week)
- Eating mostly vegetables and fiber

There were also several things I didn't agree with, or wish he would have went more into detail on.

- Saturated fats
- Canola oil
- Weightlifting benefits
- Hormones

Overall it was an interesting read. I've extracted sev
Judith
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not a football fan, thus not a Tom Brady fan. But you have to admit, a 40 year old star quarterback who has won 6 Superbowls and is handsome, fit, and successful, merits investigation. I was so excited to get this book and to begin to understand how he does it. It slowly dawned on me that this is a person who literally devotes his life to his body, keeping it at peak performance for as long as he can. While this is a worthy goal, perhaps, the worthiest, it just doesn't work for the average p ...more
Sharon :)
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned alot I am ordering the paperback so I can reference back on the hydration chapter, recipes and the resistance band exercises 💪🏽
JD
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sport
I am a big Tom Brady fan as he is an immense athlete and being the 199th draft pick nobody gave him a chance, but he has proved everyone wrong and has had one of the most illustrious careers in the sporting world... But even though the book starts okay with a bit of background on him and has some good exercises in the middle, the rest is almost just an advert for his TB12 Method, so if you are not interested in that, do not get this book. Luckily I got the book for free on Great On Kindle, other ...more
Lee Adams
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
To quote Billy Madison "At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumberfor having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." Sorry, Tom. ...more
Tasos Manouras
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It is mostly an advertisement for the tb12 sports center but still learned a few things. Most of his theories are born out of personal experience rather than scientific evidence which makes the book borderline holistic in many instances.

Still learned that I can treat my Achilles's tendonitis by massaging the bottom of my foot, dairy can cause inflammation and got the vibrating sphere which as of now is the best work out gadget that I own.
Fred
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
#37 in this list - Heatlh and Fitness Best Audiobooks - 2018

The book shows “Tom Brady 12” - TB12 exercises & foods to eat.

I was wrong - I expected contents to have more with NFL, Tom Brady & Super Bowl wins.

Sean Tenaglia
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wouldn’t buy this for myself, but given it as a gift I figured it was worth checking out. This book has plenty of problems (as critics rightly point out), but there is some useful information.

First, the bad:
- Unless you have the money for personal training and/or expensive nutrition and workout gear, many of TB12’s points are incredibly difficult to apply (especially for a broke kid just out of college)
- Mentioning those expensive snacks and performance gear, the book definitely devolves into
KNCHNGL
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Much his book is based on common sense as opposed to clinical studies and/or trials.

Generally, I agree with him. Of his recap at the end of the book - hydrate, reduce caffeine & alcohol, eat whole natural foods, raw veggies, go organic because you are what you eat, avoid processed foods, sleep properly, re-balance your mind daily - most were common sense.

Most beneficial was hearing his take on doing resistance band training and no weights. Refreshing to hear a well-known athlete taking such an u
Joyce
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book gave me a good feel for what Tom Brady is like in real life and an appreciation for his strong work ethic. A majority of the book dealt with his strategies for making himself one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and what enables him to do it year after year. That being said, this book is not just for pro athletes, but he emphasizes that his techniques are applicable to everyone, no matter their age or their athletic prowess. Much of the information about diet and lifestyle habits I ...more
Donna
Oct 23, 2017 added it
Recommended by my massage therapist, this book details superstar athlete Tom Brady’s holistic approach to maintaining optimum health and fitness as we age. TB12 Method includes pliability training, resistance band workouts, the importance of hydration, whole foods nutrition, even brain challenges. The writing is upbeat and motivational, so much so that I’ve already ordered the bands.
Lou Berthelson
The book is just what I was hoping it would be, a detailed look at a low inflammation way to workout, refuel and take care of my body. As a golfer, I am challenged to create relaxed speed, power and accuracy. The TB12 method is the perfect way to achieve and sustain it.
Robin
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh where to start... First, I LOVE watching him play football. He is truly a master at the game. And I so wanted to like this book and find some real value...

First, good take aways from the book: clean eating, daily exercise, not overtraining, positive attitude. Yes to all, and undoubtedly a major reason why he is so good at his job.

For the "not-so-goods": basic, high-level information on all of the above, that was simply repackaged into the "infomercial" that is this book. Repetitive, repetiti
William Gorman
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this book to read not because I’m a Tom Brady fan or a Patriots fan (because I’m not) but because I respect what he has done and continues to do in his sport. I feel I’m struggling putting this review into coherent paragraphs so I’ll just do a standard pros and cons.

Pros:
• I’m a fan of the whole person approach to the sustained peak performance he talks about. He doesn’t just touch on something like how to throw better. He goes into detail about workouts, nutrition, sleep, hydration, a
Eileen Sullivan
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a perfect week to read Tom Brady's right before Superbowl weekend. I learned about his life growing up in California, college days, and pro times. Most interesting that he said he was a late bloomer and not a superstar but trained and had the drive to become one. His TB12 Method is a holistic program of eating right, hydrating, and training with attention to what he calls pliability of the muscles to enhance performance. Some of my take aways form the book included:
-Hydrate more!!! I need
Daniel
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were some legit insights in this book:

1) his concept of pliability training,
2) the concepts of "positive-intentional trauma" vs "negative-unintentional trauma" and the idea that you can train your body to better handle the later by inducing the former via certain types of massage,
3) the limitations of "training heavy" as you age,
4) the benefits of resistance band training vs traditional weights,
5) differentiating between "linear workouts" (sprinting, squats, deadlifts, running) vs "rota
Ingrid Gustafson
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I think the underlying ideas of proper nutrition, hydration, sleep, etc. are important for a healthy lifestyle and athletic performance, the way these ideas are presented seem extreme and unrealistic/unattainable for amateur athletes. My takeaway is just a reminder to look at all areas of your life to find areas for improvement in regards to performance.
Luis Donnadieu
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
The book starts off very good, it offers a new perspective on training that might be beneficial for most athletes. Unfortunately the content becomes very repetitive and by the end is basically an ad of tb12 products and coaches.
Jim Carty
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good ideas. Definitely worth the read and I've put some of the practices in to use with positive results. ...more
Matt
May 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
The most repetitive and basic book on health and fitness I have ever read, and I've read them all. ...more
Emily
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I heard it on an NPR podcast and had to get it out of the library out of curiosity. Ha. So terrible. And why wouldn’t you make it 12 chapters? What a missed opportunity.
Jack Louridas
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it is very inspirational for how Tom Brady was the greatest.
Sandy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was held hostage by this book on a recent road trip. (Or, I guess you could say my husband was driving and wanted to listen to this, and so as a passenger in the car for 22 hours, I was also forced to listen to it.)

There is some good advice. There's also a lot of weird stuff. And contradictory stuff. Tom says he eats tons of fresh vegetables and to never eat something out of a package, but then four hours later, the book is like an infomercial for his power bars and electrolyte drinks.

I now kn
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• It's Good to Be Gronk
  • The Dynasty
  • The Art of Impossible: A Peak Performance Primer
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life
  • Talking to GOATs: The Moments You Remember and the Stories You Never Heard
  • Ancient Remedies: Secrets to Healing with Herbs, Essential Oils, CBD, and the Most Powerful Natural Medicine in History
  • The Gold Standard: Rules to Rule By
  • If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
  • Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life
  • Greenlights
  • Beginners: The Joy and Transformative Power of Lifelong Learning
  • Invent and Wander: The Collected Writings of Jeff Bezos
See top shelves…
Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. (born August 3, 1977) is an American football quarterback for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He is one of only two players to win five Super Bowls (the other being defensive player Charles Haley) and the only player to win them all playing for one team.

After playing college football for the University of Michigan, Brady was drafted b