Start by marking “Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles, #1)

Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Alyssa D’Yaragen is just an elf trying to make ends meet. Thankfully, working as a freelance thief – a runner by the street name Lysistrata -- pays more than she would make in a month selling cell phones to retropunks at her antique shop. Though she’s low-tech, she has an advantage over her fellow larcenists. She has magic.

Logan Turner, a techie and fellow runner, offers
Paperback
Published March 15th 2018 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Weaver's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weaver's Folly

Beth
Weaver’s Folly is my kind of read. Fae (okay Elf) based with a mystery to solve, suspense, action, an underdog type protagonist and to top it off with some romantic tension, this book had everything that I absolutely adore in my reading material.

Allyssa is an elf living in the human world. She makes a legit living selling cell phones, but is a “runner” on the side. A Runner is someone who will acquire, mostly illegally, objects for a price.

In Weaver’s Folly, Allyssa finds herself running again
Jody McGrath
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book actually seems to tell two stories. One story is about Alyssa and Logan. They are "runners" or cat burglars. They are quite elite. I really enjoyed this part of the book. They had a great comradeship that made you want to read more about them. They were complete polar opposites which played up perfectly to so many things that could have happened. They had a great twist ending that I didn't see coming and it can be really good in follow up books. If the author would have spent more time ...more
Michael Mammay
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elves are real and living in a near-future Atlanta in this Urban Fantasy/Cyberpunk mash up. Filled with both tech and magic, this one will keep you guessing. The third act is a maze of great twists that will keep you turning the pages.
Tracy Gold
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An elf who earns a living as a cat burglar. Wonderful premise and a highly entertaining read! Like vampires in True Blood, elves are "out" in a futuristic America, trying to navigate identity politics and magic that clashes with technology. Alissa's got to pull off a high-stakes theft...but magical creatures keep trying to off her. Can she earn her biggest payout yet without getting caught or killed?

I also highly enjoyed the Tolkien allusions sprinkled throughout. Maybe the world of Weaver's Fo
C.L. McCollum
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh man this was such a blast of a heist book! Totally gave me a Kate Daniels meets Shadowrun vibe with awesome tech details and magical touches all weaved (hah pun not intended but totally going with it LOL) together seamlessly.

Added bonus for this little bi reader is the very bi protagonist (though her labels aren't explicitly on the page) dealing with her "couldn't keep it in his pants while they were together" man ho ex and a gorgeous mysterious lady love interest keeping her on her toes. It'
Karyn English
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best new series of 2018

The book grabbed me from the start with rich writing, fantastic characters, and a well developed world. I rearranged my day to keep reading and finished it before bed. Give yourself a treat and pick this up.
Dave Higgins
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Blending the mystical and technological without either losing their distinction or creating an arbitrary division, Madsen creates a world part way between urban high-fantasy and cyberpunk thriller.

When elves revealed themselves to the world, they kept the existence of magic a secret. Living among humans, they seem to enjoy the same pursuits, use the same technologies, and face the same tedious challenges. Alyssa D’Yaragen is just trying to make a living: by day, she sells ancient trinkets to ret
Suanne
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Weaver’s Folly is the first of a new paranormal series by Sarah Madsen and introduces elf Alyssa D’Yaragen who works as a freelance thief. She is an elf weaver and can perform magic, though she can’t handle technology without shorting out her brain. There are potential love triangles in the making: Alyssa and her hot new lover, Seraphina, plus another thief, Logan Turner; the second is Alyssa, Turner and Alyssa’s old beau, Tristan.

When mystical beings (trolls, etc) begin hunting Alyssa, she know
Susan Underbrink
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to NetGalley and Curiosity Quills Press for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. First time reading this author. I am rating this a 3.5, mainly due to lack of information. I felt at a disadvantage the entire book. Would have liked more information on the elf world. Alyssa was duped from lack of information. Loved Logan and Jeremiah! Liked Alyssa. Left room for future stories so not everything gets resolved. Overall, I would say it was pretty fun and I read it fairly qui ...more
Lauren
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-blog
A run gone bad leaves elven thief Alyssa D’Yaragen, Lysistrata when she’s on a run, with a fantastic opportunity. All she has to do is work with the guy who made the last run go bad for her and steal some data from a company. A super high profile mega corporation , Americorp, whose security is guaranteed to give both of them more than a run for their money, but still. The pay and challenge are way too good to pass up. Complicating things somewhat her ex, Tristan, shows up begging forgiveness and ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

WEAVER'S FOLLY is an entertaining read with a pretty fresh premise. Aside from the brilliant futuristic setting and elves being "out of the closet" so to speak, I loved the slight allusions to Tolkien and his writings interspersed in the plot. The mix of tech and magic and how they don't work too well together reminded me of the Kate Daniels series. I loved the explanation of how elf magic works and the history of how elves came to be living with humans
Case
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an absolute blast to read. I read a LOT of urban fantasy because it’s a great genre, and I’ve never read anything that blends Elves and magic with future world technology. It’s refreshing, interesting, and fun.

As the first book in the series, Sarah Madsen does an excellent job of introducing the worlds, presenting primary characters, and creating both immediate plot and story arc plot. I like that the immediate plot was tied up by the end of the book, and I appreciate the lack of c
Jenny Ferguson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun!!!

I'm not normally a huge fan of elves, but this novel gives you elves like you haven't seen them before. Really, I adore our main character Alyssa--and all of the side characters! They are fresh and fun!

Plus, the world that Madsen crafts is almost familiar (near future, cyberpunk) Atlanta, but also there is Arcadia (the elf homeland). This book is such a treat. Well-written and fun and freshen's up the urban fantasy genre.

I'd love to read more books in this world fro
Amanda
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story with a great blend of (urban) fantasy and sci-fi. This story definitely has potential so I look forward to the next book!
Emily Strelow
Jan 13, 2018
Sasha
Jun 15, 2018
Leah
rated it did not like it
May 15, 2018
Mar 13, 2018
Dawne Lazarek
Jan 13, 2018

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)