Start by marking “The Girl Without Magic (Chronicles of Maggie Trent, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Without Magic (Chronicles of Maggie Trent, #1)

The Girl Without Magic

(The Chronicles of Maggie Trent #1)

Death would have been easier, but the Siren wasn't through with her.

Seventeen-year-old Maggie Trent fell out of a battle and into the Siren's Realm, a land where secrets hide in the shadows and pleasure comes at a price Maggie is unwilling to pay.

The time for the Siren's reckoning has come, sweeping away all she deems unworthy to live in her realm. Those without magic ar
Published January 9th 2018 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Without Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Without Magic

Start your review of The Girl Without Magic (Chronicles of Maggie Trent, #1)
Anna lost in stories *A*
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc
I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of this book :) this is the first installment in a new fantasy-ish series :) it was the very first book written by this author that I read, and I really enjoyed her writing style :) I definitely will pick up one of her other novels in the future, as well as the next installments in this series :) but don't worry, even though this is the first story, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, so feel free to pick it up to give it a try :) so let me tell you a little bit m ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
I feel like I just read the beginnings of three different novels and the end of one; and yet somehow they were all in the same book. Without a doubt The Girl Without Magic suffers from a lack of focus, plot, characterization and direction.

No Logical Tie-ins
Our story starts out with our leading gal waking up from the midst of a battle in a 'dark place' that eventually becomes what's known as 'Siren's Realm'. We go from there to her existing in 'Siren's Realm' before she ends up in another place
OvyReadz
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tale of Magic and bravery. Maggie, a teen witch lands in a new world called the Siren's realm. Siren's realm grants everyone their wishes in return for some magic. Book 1 of the series revolves around Maggie and Bertrand Wayland and their adventure in a new world called Malina. Together they help the group of people called 'The Wanderers' to fight the evil Jax, leader of 'The Enlightened.'

I totally enjoyed the concept of Siren's realm and wish to know more. I will definitely be on the look out
Brenda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book full of magic and adventure! I look forward to more stories of Maggie and Bertrand as their lives and magic develop.
Jessica Robbins
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs... ...more
Anie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
Received from Xpresso book tours

Maggie live on Earth, where not everyone has magic. In the middle of the battle she is fell into something and woke in a tent. She is convinced that she died, as she slowly discovers new world, she stumbled on. Instead of dyeing, she was pulled in Siren's Realm, where everything is controlled by the Siren and paid with magic. The magic goes from you, until you have nothing left.

Maggie lies about having magic and tries to survive without. She is determined to find
Jenn Bradshaw
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Megan O'Russell book I've read, and I so didn't want to put it down! Ms. O'Russell has scored another hit with her most recent (January 8, 2018) release of The Girl Without Magic.

From the starting block, I wasn't sure if I should be laughing or crying for Maggie Trent, as she stumbles and staggers her way through the first few chapters. (Incidentally, Maggie faces life much like I do - with a sarcastic "Well, this is great. What's next," way of viewing and tackling each obsta
Jo
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
As the start of a series, this initial book necessarily has a reasonable amount of world building and character introductions that need to take place.  However, it is written in such a manner, with the reader thrown right in the middle of things, that the scene setting becomes an integral, essential part of the story.  The reader discovers more alongside Maggie.

Intertwined with that is the story arc which is a decent plot with colourful and three dimensional secondary characters.

There is good ch
Shakera
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Believing she was dead, Maggie wakes up in a realm of the Sirens. The currency of choice however is magic; which Maggie does not want to give away. While in this realm, Maggie meets Bertrand, who has been there practically forever. He serves as a bit of a mentor for her. Through Bertrand, she learns she can travel to other realms and go on a adventure.

Through her adventures, she meets Tammond, in a realm on the verge of war, and they are in desperate need of her help! The attraction is immediate
Sabetha | Aconite Cafe
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I read it straight through in one night because I couldn't put it down. The author puts a spin on your typical magical world and it made for a great story. With this being the first book in a series, it does a fantastic job of introducing you to all the main characters and dynamics of the series. This book gives you just enough information about the new world Maggie calls home with still leaving you wanting more, but it's great that she holds back on info dumping the world on us because it leave ...more
Jessica Traver cashen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read, I couldn't put it down. Fast paced, full of adventure, great world building. Well written, great plot and characters. Maggie Trent is fighting and next thing she knows she is in another realm, the Sirens Realm. She meets a nice man Bertrand Wayland and he tells her of the rules in the realm. I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from Netgalley.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
One minute Seventeen-year-old Maggie Trent was fighting and the next minute she was falling through the blackness and fell into another realm, the Siren’s Realm. After waking up in the Siren’s Realm Maggie thinks she is dead but she meets a nice gentleman, Bertrand Wayland who explains to her that she is indeed not dead and explains how all the rules of living in the Siren’s Realm and that magic is used as a form of currency. Maggie tells Bertrand that she has no magic.

Maggie doesn’t like all t
Jenny
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really excellent story, well-written and with the usual amazingly-developed characters that this author gives to us.
I was a little unsure how the story could be brought back into the realm of the Siren, but I was both surprised and pleased when I found out how this could be done, yet giving us a whole new set of characters and place. I shall not tell you what I mean by that, you need to buy a copy for yourself to find out!
Suffice to say that I found the story fascinating, intriguing
Dave Higgins
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
O’Russell mixes an intriguing magical economy with a character-driven plot, producing fantasy that is both fresh and familiar.

Maggie Trent died in a battle against sorcerous evil—or at least she thought she did. Instead, she awakens trapped in the Siren’s Realm, a world between worlds where any wish can be fulfilled, but at the cost of losing a little magic. Magic that doesn’t refill. Keeping the fact she’s a witch secret, Maggie settles into a life among the non-magical of bartering and trading
Tonja Drecker
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With magic, action, discovering new worlds and tons of adventure, this is an exciting tale which promises to become the first step in a great series.

Maggie is dead. Or so she thinks. Killed in battle, she's not surprised to find herself in the world of the dead, but she quickly learns she hasn't landed in the Underworld at all. Rather, she's been yanked away into the mythical Siren's realm. Magic is the currency, and Maggie is smart enough to want to hold onto hers. Hiding it, she works to survi
Nicole(Newbookcats)
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
"We adventure for knowledge and magic. We fight to help a just cause. But it's the people who pull us along when things become dark."

3.5/5 stars

This book starts out very interesting as the main character, Maggie, comes to the decision that she is dead.

I can somewhat relate to what Maggie had begun to interpret of how her life is over. Some days, which are usually on the weekends after a week without sleep, I will sleep like the dead; however, I always wake up to face the events that fill my nev
Dawn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

The Girl Without Magic is Maggie Trent, although the title is misleading. She is actually a witch but when she finds herself in the Siren's Realm, she lies and tells people that she doesn't have magic. Everything is bought and paid for with magic in this world and she's afraid someone will try to steal her precious magic. She just wants to survive in this new world and makes a
Suze Lavender
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seventeen-year-old Maggie was part of a fierce magical battle that ends in blackness. Thinking she'd died she ends up in the Siren's Realm. She can't go back to her previous existence, so she needs to make a life in this strange new world. The Siren grants wishes, but they come at a price Maggie doesn't want to pay. Maggie has to learn how to navigate her new surroundings, but just when she's found a new rhythm the Siren causes a storm to clear her realm from everything that is wrong. That means ...more
Candy Borjas
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be wonderful.

We start with learning about Maggie Trent and how she slipped in to the Siren's Realm. Here we figure out that she hides her magic and the new place that she calls home is brilliant and a place of trade but tormenting for those who run out of magic. Having magic or not puts a target on your back as you can either have the magic stole from you, it runs out with each item you ask, and those who have no more are swept away in a storm.

We met Brent Wayland who, for
Denise Belt
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting and exciting adventure Maggie Trent experienced in the first book of The Chronicles of Maggie Trent: The Girl Without Magic. One minute Maggie was fighting a battle with witches and wizards and the next moment she’s dead. But instead of dead, Maggie finds herself in the Siren’s Realm. A place where magic buys you anything you wish for but once your magic is gone it’s gone and that’s not something Maggie is willing to risk

One of the first people Maggie meets in the Siren’s Re
Robin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I *loved* the world building in this novel. It's not often that world building is done so well you don't realize you're learning about the world while the plot is actively moving forward. Megan's descriptions are wonderful, leaving very few questions about how everything works and why.

Maggie's adventure starts after she's killed in battle. Falling into a realm where the currency is magical power, she conserves hers, hiding it away until someone figures out her secret and then we're off... As a
Nicole Strand
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Trent is a 17 year old that fell from battle into the sirens realm. Those that are without magic are hunted by the Siren because they are deemed unworthy. Those with magic are hunted by the stricken. So it's a lose-lose situation either way.

Bertrand can slip through the world's stitches to gain more magic and going on epic adventures. He's determined to help Maggie get out of the sirens realm.

At first the Sirens realm seems like a paradise. Where no one starves or suffers. You can earn ma
Meegy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EDITING: I had to pick my Daughter up from School, so I only had time to do a quick review.

I loved absolutely everything about this book. The setting, the travelling and of course our main character Maggie.
She has been dragged into a new world, and decides to keep the fact that she is magical a secret.
(Won't say anymore as I may have a potential to spoil a lot of things for you guys)
My favourite character though is Bertrand, I just knew I was going to love him when he first entered the book. <
Jan farnworth
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lets take a trip to the Sirens Realm where adventures are to be found and lessons to be learned.  We meet Maggie who is swept into the sirens realm in the middle of a battle with her friends.  She is not sure how things work their so she keeps her true identity a secret until a nasty storm comes to wipe away all that angered the sirens.  After the storm clears off on a adventure out side the stitches of the sirens realm maggies goes.  Her true nature will be tried and tested as she risks herself ...more
Kirstin (chooselovebooks)
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of The Girl Without Magic in exchange for my honest review, so a big thank-you to Netgalley and Curiosity Quills Press for the early read.

A super fun magical realism story that I would definitely suggest to anyone who likes magic and bad-ass heroines! The Girl Without Magic was fast-paced, adventure packed, and had me absolutely hooked on the enchanting world building! Definitely interested in continuing the series!
Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad
I am sure that some may like this book, but it just wasn't for me. Wouldn't want to go into the details of this (because I, for one, am not a big fan of negative criticism) but I wasn't able to finish this. I do thank the publisher for allowing me the opportunity to read the book, and am always open to reviewing more titles from Curiosity Quills Press. This one just wasn't my cup of tea.
Lindberg
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a magical feast

The characters were most believable and the plot kept young on the edge of your chair right to the last page. I highly recommend this book to all fantasy readers. Enjoy!
Sheri Baldwin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl Without Magic was SO FUN! I found the main character totally believable and the world building was great. This book (and I assume the ones to follow) are great for fans of Doctor Who! I can’t wait to read more.
Jojn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to more adventures with Maggie.
It is definitely worth the time to read, I would recommend this book.
Barb VanderWel
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ravenite (Vengeance and Vampires, #1)
  • Pendomus (Pendomus Chronicles, #1)
  • Bessie Bell and the Goblin King (Tales of Aylfenhame, #3)
  • The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)
  • Mind Secrets (Perceivers #1)
  • Echo Saga Books 1 & 2: Echo Across Time and Echo Into Darkness Book Bundle (The Echo Saga)
  • The Azure Kingdom (The Iridescent Realm, #1)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (Chintz 'n China #5)
  • Life in the Dead Lane (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #2)
  • Blackbird Fly (Bennett Sisters, #1)
  • Broomsticks and Burials (Magic & Mystery #1)
  • The Stewardess's Diary, Parts 1-5: Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Ireland (The Stewardess's Diary Parts 1-5)
  • Alice in Demonland (Demonland #1)
  • The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • Feyland (Feyland #1-3)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars Book 1)
Megan O'Russell is the author of several Young Adult series that invite readers to escape into worlds of adventure. From Girl of Glass, which blends dystopian darkness with the heart-pounding danger of vampires, to Ena of Ilbrea, which draws readers into an epic world of magic and assassins.

With the Girl of Glass series, The Tethering series, The Chronicles of Maggie Trent, The Tale of Bryant Ada

The Chronicles of Maggie Trent (2 books)
  • The Girl Locked with Gold (The Chronicles of Maggie Trent #2)

News & Interviews