Start by marking “Invictus” as Want to Read:
Invictus

Invictus

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  3,845 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
Time flies when you're plundering history.

Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time-traveling Recorder from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in Rome in 95 AD, Far's birth defies the laws of nature. Exploring history himself is all he's ever wanted, and after failing his final time-traveling exam, Far takes a position commanding a ship with a crew of h
Published September 21st 2017 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Invictus, please sign up.
Abigail It's written in third person with two main POVs, but I counted at least 7 total!

·  3,845 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews

Ryan Graudin
Aug 31, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
After writing the WOLF BY WOLF duology, I found I was emotionally exhausted from spending so much time in that gritty mental landscape. INVICTUS was a chance to let my imagination play: time traveling thieves, gelato, a red panda, a heist on the Titanic! I had such a fun time writing these characters and their adventures, and I hope you have just as much fun reading it.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“It's all about perspective, isn't it? That's why Aunt Empra loved time travel so much. She always said the past helped her make sense of the present...sometimes even the future, too. I didn't understand what she meant until I started traveling. When you witness the breadth of history, you understand how small you are. And yet at the same time you realize how much your life matters...how much you shape the people around you.”

This book feels like a lacking-in-character-development version of F
Lola
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
I am a happy reader.

You see, time travel and I do not have much in common. I much rather focus on the future than the past and time travel would be nothing without the past.

So how come I managed to finish this 450-page book and enjoy it in the process?

Two words: Ryan Graudin

I knew I should try this book, despite the time-traveling, having been surprised by historical fiction/fantasy series WOLF BY WOLF. You just never know what kind of creature-book you’re faced with when it comes to this autho
Heather
HOLY CRAP I LOVED & DEVOURED THIS BOOK!
Larry H
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd rate this 3.5 stars.

Looking to take a bit of a rollicking ride, meshing time travel, history, and science fiction? Check out Ryan Graudin's Invictus , and get ready to head into the future—and back into the past.

Farway ("Far") Gaius McCarthy is the son of a time traveler from 2354 AD and a gladiator from ancient Rome. For all intents and purposes, he shouldn't have even been born, since his existence challenges the laws of time. Growing up hearing of his mother's exploits throughout time, t
Cait • A Page with a View
I was SO excited about this after the first chapter! It totally felt like Doctor Who meets Indiana Jones... but the idea was by far the strongest part. The execution was weak and I barely even cared enough to finish it.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books

The best way to my heart is through time travel.

It's no secret that time travel is my absolute favourite trope, and that I will forever seek out new stories involving jumps through time. When I first found out about Invictus, it was THE book I needed, and when I managed to snag an ARC at YALC, I was over the moon.

With such high hopes, it would have been too easy to be let down. If not done well, the specifics and rules of time travel
Carrie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Farway Gaius McCarthy's mother was a time traveling recorder from 2354 AD that had broken the rules and engaged in a relationship with a gladiator from 95 AD which brought Farway into the world. When she stayed too long in the past to witness the outcome of her love's fight in the arena though she went into labor before returning to her own time causing Farway to be born outside of time which defied the laws of nature.

Now Farway has been studying to become a time traveler himself when he fails
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
It's time travel, bish.
tumblr_mvr3y5KL931rnq3cto1_500.gif

(fun fact: my grandma watches Doctor Who from time to time and she calls it "that tv show with that doctor that goes around in a weird box".
No matter how many times I've told her, she's also still convinced this is some sort of fantasy medical drama)
rin
Nov 29, 2016 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
i have zero desire to continue reading this atm maybe I'll come back to it later

dnf @ 28%
~~~~

upd

idk about the cover but the
first chapter
looks intriguing

“I could go back and kill Hitler,” Far joked. “Isn’t that every time traveler’s dream?”

i couldn't stop myself

~~~

Time. Traveling. Thieves.

also: "Dr. Who meets Firefly meets Looper."

aLSO: "Dr. Who meets Guardians of the Galaxy"

NATURALLY, I HAVE TO READ THIS

Invictus by Ryan Graudin
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 26, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Time flies when you're plundering history.

Kate (GirlReading)
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favourites
4.5/5*
I was lucky enough to receive an early ARC copy of Ryan Graudin’s upcoming YA Sci-Fi, ‘Invictus’ from the lovely people at the BKMRK stand at YALC at the end of July. After getting my copy signed and nodding like a manic bobblehead at everything Ryan Graudin said whilst on a ‘Writing & Social Change’ panel, I couldn’t have been more excited to pick it up.

*Read my full review here* http://girlreading.co.uk/bookreviews/...

I’ve had an odd relationship with reading for a few months now. I
Maddie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED THIS. I need something bigger than capital letters to really capture how much I loved it. It's so weird to say that about a sci-fi book because usually, I don't click with them but this felt like it was a tailored to my exact favourite things about books.

The crew reminded me of that from The Lunar Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus (when I figured out the latter comparison, I felt like crying over how much I missed that bunch of heroes.) The friendship is strong, the relationships are est
Erin
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HADES THIS WAS EXCELLENT! Full review on my blog!!!

Bee (Heart Full of Books)
One of the most action packed and perfectly crafted adventures I've ever read.

Invictus is genius and will keep you guessing with twists and turns you'll never see coming! I loved every single relationship dynamic (unrequited love that isn't actually unrequited? YES PLEASE) and the pacing was off-the-charts good. Like, seriously, this might just be the most impressive book I've ever read. Ryan Graudin is an absolute gem.

If you liked the crew dynamics of 'Six of Crows', the timey-wimely space st
Roshani Chokshi
I got to read this in draft, and it was PHENOMENAL. This ensemble cast will capture your heart. It's an emotionally urgent, vivid, and inspiring read. Three cheers for all the Firefly/Dr. Who references <3
Justine
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
** My 500th review posted on Goodreads :) **

So I'm kind of mixed on this book. On the one hand, I loved the pacing and forward momentum of the story, which kept events feeling really exciting. On the other hand, I wasn't feeling much for the actual characters themselves, and so I felt like the story lacked emotional depth. The overall result was a little...unsatisfying.

I did like the writing, and I still want to try some of Graudin's other books. I enjoyed Invictus well enough while I was readin
Alice Cai
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, dnf
2.5* dnf: 36% TRUST ME THIS SUCKS ASS
(Read the wolf by wolf duology from this author, different vibe, historical fiction so it's actually good, clear plot, cool power from the main character)

Ew gross this was so bad. Terrible character development, no plot, x2 instalove, very little worldbuilding (because time travel). I went forward a bit to 45% and I still have no idea what the plot is supposed to be.

Read this part my initial review sucked:

I going to add a bit more to this review. There are 5
ambsreads
Thank you to Hachette Children's Books for kindly sending me a copy to review. All thoughts are my own, however.

THIS REVIEW AND OTHERS ALSO FEATURE ON MY BLOG

R A M B L E

Invictus has stumped me. And, not in a good way. It's stumped me because I have never been this confused on how to rate a book. I've struggled between a 4 and a 3 for the beginning of the book, but as the story continued my attention wavered and I struggled to stay absorbed in the world and plot. I'm honestly just confused.

I sho
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
DNF half way through

The writing style, plot and characters are just so unreal and bizarrely done... this is just not holding my interest at the moment but maybe I’ll come back to it one day.
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
"Farway Gaius McCarthy only ever wanted to see the world, not save one."

I'm not the biggest fan of time travel books, almost always there are way too long descriptions of the places and the era in general and I get bored out of my mind. And there were some unnecessarily long descriptions in Invictus but they didn't bother me too much.

I loved the first and last 100 pages, the middle was pretty boring. Some scenes were really unnecessary and filled with flowery writing and philosophical thoughts o
Carlos
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-btr
I loved this books (if my rating does not tell you that..lol)
There are few books that get time travel right and even fewer YA books that deal with the opic, But this was the exception, from the beginning you get the sense that something big is happening and the book delivers. If you love Doctor Who, then you will love this books. There is an anomaly in the space continuum thread and is threatening to end reality as we know, The Catalyst? ... a boy named Far , He doesn't know it but his existence
Shannon (leaninglights)
Probably landing around 3.75-4 stars. I really like the concept of time travel and dimensions, however, I read an entire series that does this very similarly in the last couple of years: Firebird by Claudia Gray. But I still really enjoyed this and the ensemble cast element, reminiscent of Lunar Chronicles. Definitely worth a read though! I enjoyed the writing and pace of the story and I think Ryan Grayson is a great writer.
may ❀
Oct 24, 2017 marked it as on-hold-ill-get-to-it-one-day  ·  review of another edition
i have zero idea what this is about so :|

...and im not gonna read the synopsis (thosE THINGS HAVE SO MUCH FRICKEN SPOILERS I SWEAR ITS RIDICULOUS) so let's just hope its not trash :))

Buddy read part two with the little uni boy
Jordan (Her Paper Adventure)
You can also see my full review on my blog!

I received Invictus in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Hachette Children’s Group and Netgally.

If you’re a fan of time travel, you’re going to love Invictus, I found it to be a lot of fun and quite fascinating, having not read many books based around this subject. Set in the future, Invictus has a generous mix of scfi and history throughout, with flying time machines and droids in their current time, then jumping back to the past, to the Ti
Dannii Elle
How could you not want to read a book whose synopsis begins: "Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time traveler from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in ancient Rome". I was immediately sold! The story-line develops from here to include red pandas, rainbow-hair, parties in Vegas, trips to the Titanic, and pirating some of history's lost artefacts from aboard a time-travelling spaceship.

The actual narrative was instantaneously compelling. There are little foundations to the
Maria
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hope that this feels as good as it sounds 👀🤞🏼
Bec
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot! Will share a review on my blog once I've written it. ^_^

Here's my review, whew!
Wendi Lee
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun!!

If you like space opera sci-fis about time travel, with heists, a sprinkling of romance and mystery, this is the book for you!

Farway has a promising future ahead of him as a time-traveler, but he flunks his final exam. His second chance comes in the form of Invictus, a ship that deals in the black market of time travel. It is during a trip to the Titanic that Far comes into contact with a girl who shouldn't be there. Who is she? What does she want from Far and his crew?

I
Time Travel: Invictus 1 16 Sep 15, 2017 06:23AM
YA time travell group 1 9 Jun 04, 2017 03:55AM
  • What Goes Up
  • Run, Riot
  • Ones and Zeroes (Mirador, #2)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic (Timeless, #1)
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • Velocity
  • Jinxed (Book 1)
  • The Fall
  • A Conspiracy of Stars (Faloiv, #1)
  • Among the Red Stars
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
Ryan Graudin was born in Charleston, South Carolina, with a severe case of wanderlust. When she’s not traveling, she’s busy writing and spending time with her husband and wolf dog. She is the author of Invictus, the Wolf By Wolf duology, The Walled City, and the All That Glows Series.
“Why, yes. I am a strange wonder. The most special of snowflakes! Born out of time, forever running to catch up to it!” 14 likes
“Are you you without your memories? If not, who do you become?” 11 likes