Start by marking “The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery” as Want to Read:
The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery

The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery

A nonstop middle-grade fantasy adventure, The Train to Impossible Places by debut author P. G. Bell is as fun as it is full of heart, and the first book of a planned trilogy.

A train that travels through impossible places. A boy trapped in a snow globe. And a girl who’s about to go on the adventure of a lifetime.

The Impossible Postal Express is no ordinary train. It’s a tro
Published October 2nd 2018 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Train to Impossible Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Train to Impossible Places

Robin Stevens
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting, imaginative, wild ride of a story that never lets up for a moment. The Impossible Places are wonderful new worlds and I loved everything about this debut - the characters, the ideas and the twists in the tale. Bravo! (8+)

Kateřina Stupková
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moje další překladatelské miminko je vyloženě dětská knížka, ale jestli vás dětské knížky baví, rozhodně jí chcete, protože jsou tam naprosto boží nápady a P. G. Bell je prostě týpek! Těším se na další díl už teď!
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I'd probably give this 3 and a half stars if Goodreads would let me...but I have to settle for a 3 cuz it won't. Also, if I hadn't already read Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow and Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow this year, I probably would have enjoyed this one a bit more. I feel like Nevermoor & Wundersmith spoiled me because I loved them so much....like Harry Potter levels of love...and that's pretty tough competition for a book like The Train to Impossible Places.

All that
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

I'm struggling in being decisive with a star rating for this one. In some areas, I really want to give this book at least a three star rating because of how magical and unique the storyline was. However, in contrast, there were moments that I felt the story became too cluttered with too much action that I lost my focus on what was happening.

The beginning of this novel had me hooked. I absolutely loved the idea of this magical train that truly did the impossible, whether it be the abili
Catherine Doyle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hugely enjoyable!
MRIDULA
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I would enjoy a Children's book so much.
Review to come :)
Sam (she_who_reads_)
A highly imaginative, action packed, middle grade fantasy. I had so much fun reading this one! The characters were amazing and endearing, the writing was great- it was very accessible, without feeling overly simple. Ten year old Sam would have been completely obsessed with this book! This would make a fantastic read aloud and I can’t wait to share it with my daughter!
Rhys Thomas
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing feat of the imagination. I knew I'd like this book in the middle of the second page where I learned that the hero, Suzy, is a budding physicist. She embarks on an adventure into the Impossible Places, places that defy her knowledge of reality but are real nonetheless. Perhaps that's because she knows about physics, but not fuzzics, the fuzzier laws of the natural world that rule in the Impossible Places. On her journey she meets trolls, pirates, good guys, bad guys, and lots of other ...more
Scott Evans (MrEPrimary)
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Wow! This incredible debut puts P. G. Bell full steam ahead in the children’s literature world. All aboard for the most magical of adventures that’ll keep you on the very edge of your seat.’
Joyce
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher.

Wow, I really loved this middle-grade fantasy! It really had awesome Doctor Who vibes, which is great because I love Doctor Who. Suzy is an amazing character; she is flawed but clever and confident and charming. The places that she visits are all lovely and whimsical, with great world building. I love the side characters as well, especially the train crew! The plot never thinned or slowed down and it was tense all the way to the end.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A Physical Copy of the book was provided via USBorne YA in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

USBorbne YA has been my go to publisher for fantastic middle grade fiction fix – The Train to Impossible Places is another addition to some amazing middle grade fiction I have already read from this wonderful publishers.

This beautifully illustrated book is about
Nikki Kalani
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fantasy, fiction
I wanted to share with you all about this middle grade fantasy book that I got from Usborneya a few months back and its one of the best middle grade children's book I have ever read after Matilda, Alice in the wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

Thank you so much Usborne books for sending me this beautiful book to read and review.

"A broad mouth, as wide as a toad's, was pulled into a sneer beneath it, while two small yellow eyes squinted at her over the top. This strange face was se
Pamela
Such splendidly imaginative, fantasy world creation! Dr. Who meets the Polar Express meets Alice in Wonderland; and a wee bit of Gene Wilder, perhaps. Plus non-stop, full-time throttle action from the first few pages onward to the last page. I couldn't put it down.

This middle-grade debut is sure to enthrall a wide reading audience. It's a hot commodity in the library world of San Diego. I'm certainly looking forward to the next in series. P.G. Bell - keep the"Impossible Mail Train" coming!

FIVE
Renee
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to Macmillan’s Children’s & Netgalley for The eARC of this book!
When Suzy hops a ride on the Impossible Postal Express, she ends up taking a trip she could’ve never imagined. I loved Suzy— she uses her wits and physics, to help save her friends in some sticky situations.
I’m excited to read this to my boys, I think they will love the setting and the suspense.
Etienne
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Très beau roman jeunesse. Malgré un livre un peu long pour le public auquel il semble s'adresser, il présente une bonne histoire, les personnages sont bien développés, l'humour est bien mené et très efficace, il y a beaucoup d’aventures, le rythme est bon et l'univers imaginaire est agréable et intéressant. Il manquait le petit wow pour obtenir 5 étoiles, mais tout de même une belle valeur sûre!
Lire-une-passion
"En résumé, après un début assez difficile, je me suis surprise à accrocher et dévorer les pages sans m'en rendre compte. Un premier tome jeunesse assez intriguant et qui donne envie de lire la suite."

Teresa Grabs
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Has everything one wants in a fast paced, imaginative MG book that is part Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, part Dr. Who, and all full-speed ahead on the train to impossible places. I cannot wait to read the next two installments in the trilogy.
Orláith
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come as I'm dying with the flu and my brain is struggling to form sentences.

Laura Noakes
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This imaginative tale is THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY meets DISCWORLD for kids. Fantastic story, and I can’t wait for the next one.
Sophie Anderson
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Positively bursting with imagination and humour.
Amber
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This book gave me some serious Harry Potter vibes with the train and amazing world building the author did. If you love fantasy with imaginative new worlds, definitely check this one out.
Felicia Mathews (Bookishly Slytherclaw)
This was such an imaginative middle grade book. I love that the action in the story never lets up and that there are many plot twists. The little hints of physics facts that were thrown into the story were a nice added touch since the main character enjoys the subject.

I definitely think this a story that children of many ages would love and I can't wait to read it with my children when they're older.
Mark
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real winner. Great and original plot that will keep any reader, young or old, rolling along at a great rate.
Stella Wenny
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
The fantasy world-building in this book is superb, and at first I really really enjoyed this book. I love the idea of a postal train that delivers packages to many fantasy realms and I was so so excited. But then as I read on, there are several things that just don't add up and the last quarter feels messy to me, everyone is lying and hiding something and I feel like if I were a kid, I would just be confused as hell. The thing that bugged me most is that there is only one train that picks up and ...more
BooksForTopics
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Train to Impossible Places is a whizz-pop-bang of an adventure story that will make readers young and old want to jump on board!

From the moment the Impossible Postal Express crashes unexpectedly through Suzy’s living room, the plot hurtles on at a hundred-miles-an-hour as it twists its way through imaginative realms. The postal workers on the magical train whisk Suzy along with them on their mission to deliver top secret packages to impossible places, encountering villains, heroes and everyt
Mehsi
Een heerlijk en magisch boek met postpakketjes, trollen, slechteriken, een vleugje mysterie, spannende achtervolgingen, en meer!

Voor een keer eens wat anders. Ik heb dit boek in het Engels geprobeerd en ik vond het helemaal niks, maar nu heb ik hem in het Nederlands gelezen en vond ik hem geweldig. Normaal is dit totaal andersom. Engels is altijd een hit, en als ik een boek in het Nederlands lees dan vind ik vaak de vertaling niet leuk.

Net als mijn vorige review ga ik dit review in goed/niet zo
Leslie
Suzy is a proper Whovian*-character: curious, resourceful, somewhat impulsive, caring and loyal, and very clever. She makes some difficult decisions, and proves capable of problem-solving in both physics and fuzzics under threat of fatal collision.

Suzy is the proper strong-female-protagonist** in that she is allowed her emotions and her fear of being seen in ugly pajamas. She doesn’t have to act on prophesy, but on an increasingly well-honed gut-instinct. I appreciate her anger, and that it is p
Stephanie
I can often be somewhat weary of middlegrade novels. Their target audience are those who, most typically, wont be bothered by a lot of things that older readers might. Many of them are fairly simple, with good reason, and thus I usually read them expecting to like but not love the book. It is for this fact that I found myself utterly and completely blown away by The Train to Impossible Places by P. G. Bell.

When a mysterious train and a staff of trolls appear in her living room, Suzy Smith doesn’
Blue
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, if you are going to purchase this book you have to purchase this book in hardcover format because not only is the dust jacket cover stunning but the actual cover is breath taking. I have never seen such a stunning cover in my life!
The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery features Suzy who starts this epic adventure when a mammoth steam train crashes into her hallway. The train known as the Impossible Postal Express, which is a delivery service for the Union of Impossible Plac
Nannette Demmler
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

This was a whimsical and fun middle grade read full of interesting characters and fantastic places. There is also a good adventure with some science thrown in. This is not a character driven story, even though there are a lot of them, but there are a few that I would like to talk about.

Suzy is a delightful young lady full of heart and courage. She loves physics and sometimes has to use her knowledge of it to get her and her friends
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • The Last Chance Hotel
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Brightstorm
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • Measle and the Mallockee
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • Running on the Roof of the World
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Where the Woods End
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1)
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • Chase (Chase #1)
P.G. Bell is a native of south Wales, where he was raised on a diet of Greek mythology, ghost stories and Doctor Who. He's had all sorts of jobs over the years, from lifeguard to roller coaster operator, but all he's ever really wanted to do is write stories for a living. And now he does! He lives in Wales with his wife Anna and their two children.
“Information is a treasure, Captain - more precious than gold and more dangerous than magic. It can reshape whole worlds, in the right hands.” 1 likes