Start by marking “The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery

(The Train to Impossible Places #1)

A train that travels through impossible places. A boy trapped in a snow globe. And a girl who’s about to go on the adventure of a lifetime.

The Impossible Postal Express is no ordinary train. It’s a troll-operated delivery service that runs everywhere from ocean-bottom shipwrecks, to Trollville, to space.

But when this impossible train comes roaring through Suzy’s living roo
Published October 2nd 2018 by Feiwel & Friends

Start your review of The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

This was an okay read. It might be one of those children's books which can only be enjoyed fully when you are a kid, but have almost nothing interesting for an adult. Even though, I am not sure I would have fully enjoyed this as a child either. I had zero interest in the story at the beginning, but as the plot progressed it got more and more interesting. Overall, as I said, it was okay: the fantasy elements were fun, I liked the main character and Wilmot was just adorable; the setting and the g
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I'd probably give this 3 and a half stars if Goodreads would let me...but I have to settle for a 3 cuz it won't. Also, if I hadn't already read Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow and Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow this year, I probably would have enjoyed this one a bit more. I feel like Nevermoor & Wundersmith spoiled me because I loved them so much....like Harry Potter levels of love...and that's pretty tough competition for a book like The Train to Impossible Places.

All that sai
Robin Stevens
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting, imaginative, wild ride of a story that never lets up for a moment. The Impossible Places are wonderful new worlds and I loved everything about this debut - the characters, the ideas and the twists in the tale. Bravo! (8+)

Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

I'm struggling in being decisive with a star rating for this one. In some areas, I really want to give this book at least a three star rating because of how magical and unique the storyline was. However, in contrast, there were moments that I felt the story became too cluttered with too much action that I lost my focus on what was happening.

The beginning of this novel had me hooked. I absolutely loved the idea of this magical train that truly did the impossible, whether it be the abili
ikram
…And the journey came to the end. The Train to Impossible Places was so fun to read and I didn’t expect it to end very soon. This book really takes me to its imaginative worlds where there are magic at every stops. Kudos to P.G. Bell for making a book that is hard to put down. I found myself wanting to see what happens next and having my own dilemma of whom I should trust in this story.

The second I met Suzy, I knew I would love her. If she was real, I probably would see her as my little sister.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This was so damn cute! First of all: love that the main character is a PoC. There's a lot of confusion with the lack of explanations/being thrown into the middle of a magical world but I think it actually leant itself well. You see it all through the eyes of the main character; being a human in this troll world. The ending SENT ME into chaos. I was NOT expecting any of this. I'll definitely read the sequel.
Kaitlyn
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
So charming. <3 ...more
Catherine Doyle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hugely enjoyable!
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
What a fabulous (train) ride this book was! I highly recommend it to anybody with a child at home bored from quarantine. I also recommend it to any adult bored from quarantine!

It is kinda sorta but not really like Harry Potter, in that the protagonist is a child who enters into a world of magic. There is good and there is evil. I loved it so much I went right to Audible upon finishing the book and ordered and downloaded book two.

Fabulous narration also in this Audible version.
MRIDULA
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I would enjoy a Children's book so much.
Review to come :)
Sam (she_who_reads_)
A highly imaginative, action packed, middle grade fantasy. I had so much fun reading this one! The characters were amazing and endearing, the writing was great- it was very accessible, without feeling overly simple. Ten year old Sam would have been completely obsessed with this book! This would make a fantastic read aloud and I can’t wait to share it with my daughter!
Book Hunter
I liked the idea of a postal train that delivers packages to many fantasy places, but I was expecting something different. The book was just not for me, it got boring and took me a long time to get through it. All the characters were pretty annoying. It took them too long to get from one destination point to another. At certain point the action was a bit overkill and lost me. Will I read the next book in the series? Probably not.
Scott Evans (The Reader Teacher/MrEPrimary)
‘Wow! This incredible debut puts P. G. Bell full steam ahead in the children’s literature world. All aboard for the most magical of adventures that’ll keep you on the very edge of your seat.’
Laura Noakes
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This imaginative tale is THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY meets DISCWORLD for kids. Fantastic story, and I can’t wait for the next one.
Katie
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Do you solemnly swear to uphold the ideals of the Impossible Postal Express, risking life, limb and sanity in the execution of your duty?"

I love a middle-grade book to build up a heavy based run of fantasy books. The Train to Impossible Places was definitely exactly what I needed.

Firstly, I want to say the illustrations in this book are wonderful. I love them so much! I found myself looking at the edge of the pages to see where the next illustration was going to be. With each one I came across
Rhys Thomas
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing feat of the imagination. I knew I'd like this book in the middle of the second page where I learned that the hero, Suzy, is a budding physicist. She embarks on an adventure into the Impossible Places, places that defy her knowledge of reality but are real nonetheless. Perhaps that's because she knows about physics, but not fuzzics, the fuzzier laws of the natural world that rule in the Impossible Places. On her journey she meets trolls, pirates, good guys, bad guys, and lots of other ...more
Layla
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fast paced story from start to finish with charming characters and plenty of whimsical mystery. I adored this book and look forward to it's sequel!
Joyce
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher.

Wow, I really loved this middle-grade fantasy! It really had awesome Doctor Who vibes, which is great because I love Doctor Who. Suzy is an amazing character; she is flawed but clever and confident and charming. The places that she visits are all lovely and whimsical, with great world building. I love the side characters as well, especially the train crew! The plot never thinned or slowed down and it was tense all the way to the end.
Sarah Sammis
The Train to Impossible Places by P.G. Bell is the first book in a new series about a girl who hitches a ride on a train that happens to take a detour through her family's home in the middle of the night. Like Moist van Lipwig in Going Postal(2004), Suzy suddenly finds herself working for the post, working on the last mail trail in operation.

The Impossible Postal Express is a troll run train that makes deliveries anywhere. When it falls behind schedule, it can take shortcuts, such as through a l
Baileys Book Babble
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the beginning it was full of excitement and fun characters. About right in the middle of this one I felt that the story was being dragged out. I enjoyed it but didn't find it necessary for it to be that long.
Sophie Anderson
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Positively bursting with imagination and humour.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A Physical Copy of the book was provided via USBorne YA in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

USBorbne YA has been my go to publisher for fantastic middle grade fiction fix – The Train to Impossible Places is another addition to some amazing middle grade fiction I have already read from this wonderful publishers.

This beautifully illustrated book is about
Nargis  Kalani
I wanted to share with you all about this middle grade fantasy book that I got from Usborneya a few months back and its one of the best middle grade children's book I have ever read after Matilda, Alice in the wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

Thank you so much Usborne books for sending me this beautiful book to read and review.

"A broad mouth, as wide as a toad's, was pulled into a sneer beneath it, while two small yellow eyes squinted at her over the top. This strange face was se
Sophie Crane
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway, usbourne, trains
I am pleased to be providing a review for ‘The Train to Impossible Places’, which is one of my Top 5 books of the year and another fantastic debut & first book of a brand new series by P.G Bell.
Suzy, a young girl on the cusp of young adulthood, is a curious, resourceful, caring, loyal & intelligent girl but also somewhat impulsive. She soon realises that her love for physics and puzzle solving is getting her odd looks from her classmates. One day a train (The Impossible Postal Express) runs righ
Pamela
Such splendidly imaginative, fantasy world creation! Dr. Who meets the Polar Express meets Alice in Wonderland; and a wee bit of Gene Wilder, perhaps. Plus non-stop, full-time throttle action from the first few pages onward to the last page. I couldn't put it down.

This middle-grade debut is sure to enthrall a wide reading audience. It's a hot commodity in the library world of San Diego. I'm certainly looking forward to the next in series. P.G. Bell - keep the"Impossible Mail Train" coming!

FIVE
Lesley Clarke
I loved the concept of this book- an ordinary girl jumps aboard a magical train and visits different imaginary worlds. The first 3 chapters would make a good introduction for a Year 4/5 English unit, with pupils then writing descriptions of their own 'impossible places'. The vocabulary was really complex but the story wasn't too scary or grown up, so the book would be a good recommendation for very able Year 4s.
Renee
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to Macmillan’s Children’s & Netgalley for The eARC of this book!
When Suzy hops a ride on the Impossible Postal Express, she ends up taking a trip she could’ve never imagined. I loved Suzy— she uses her wits and physics, to help save her friends in some sticky situations.
I’m excited to read this to my boys, I think they will love the setting and the suspense.
Teresa Grabs
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Has everything one wants in a fast paced, imaginative MG book that is part Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, part Dr. Who, and all full-speed ahead on the train to impossible places. I cannot wait to read the next two installments in the trilogy.
Amber K.
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This book gave me some serious Harry Potter vibes with the train and amazing world building the author did. If you love fantasy with imaginative new worlds, definitely check this one out.
Orláith
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come as I'm dying with the flu and my brain is struggling to form sentences.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Kid Who Came From Space
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • The Midnight Hour
  • Rumblestar (The Unmapped Chronicles, #1)
  • Brightstorm
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • The Garden of Lost Secrets
  • WildSpark
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
P.G. Bell is a native of south Wales, where he was raised on a diet of Greek mythology, ghost stories and Doctor Who. He's had all sorts of jobs over the years, from lifeguard to roller coaster operator, but all he's ever really wanted to do is write stories for a living. And now he does! He lives in Wales with his wife Anna and their two children.

The Train to Impossible Places (3 books)
  • The Great Brain Robbery: A Train to Impossible Places Novel (A Train to Impossible Places, #2)
  • Delivery to the Lost City: A Train to Impossible Places Novel

News & Interviews

“Information is a treasure, Captain - more precious than gold and more dangerous than magic. It can reshape whole worlds, in the right hands.” 1 likes
“We’re sinking!” she exclaimed. “Actually, we’re diving,” said Wilmot. “It’s like sinking, but on purpose.” 0 likes