Start by marking “Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)” as Want to Read:
Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)

Batman: Nightwalker

(DC Icons #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  7,532 ratings  ·  1,818 reviews
The highly anticipated coming-of-age story for the world's greatest super hero: BATMAN by the # 1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu.

Returning home from his lavish eighteenth birthday party, Bruce Wayne stops a criminal's getaway - disobeying the police and crashing his car during the chase.

Sentenced to community service in Gotham City's Arkham Asylum, he encounter
Published January 4th 2018 by Penguin (first published January 2nd 2018)

Emily May
“You have a heavy heart, for someone with everything.”

It is these kind of books that perfectly fit the awful (and unhelpful) three star rating. Batman: Nightwalker is a completely fine, average, easy and forgettable read.

It is reasonably well-written, as we would expect from Marie Lu, but I would point new readers towards her The Young Elites or Warcross before urging them to read this one. This new stream of superhero fiction - and we can expect more in 2018 - caters to current market trends
Natalie Monroe
"Was he good? He had hurt those he loved before; he had disobeyed orders a hundred times over."

Me in response:

Batman, as we all know, is one of the most morally grey superheroes out there. Practically every incarnation of the Caped Crusader inevitably ends up knee-deep in a moral dilemma, struggling to define justice, wrestling with his inner demons, or likely all three at once. Gotham City doesn't have a prison; it has Arkham Asylum, representative of Batman's internal turmoil. Plus, he liter
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Yes!!! I loved it!

This is about Bruce who is about to turn 18. He's going to be rich. He has his team that are building things. He takes martial arts. He has Alfred. He has friends. And he's starting to have a purpose in life.

When Bruce helps out the police stopping one of the villains in the Nightwalkers gang, well he has to do community service for helping by crashing his car and what not. A simple thank you would suffice!

He ends up cleaning floors at Arkham Asylum. This is where he meets M
Ana
Me: I am so over Bruce Wayne. He means nothing to me.

Bruce Wayne: *smolder and angst*

Me: …

Me: …

Me: Dammit.

Bruce-_Selina-_Kiss-bruce-wayne-and-selina-kyle-31699136-500-200

So basically...

Batman is better than you.
Batman doesn't have time for your 'If Superman and Batman fight, who wins' theories.
Batman doesn't have time for this s***.
Batman is sexy and he knows it.
Batman is always the most stylish man in any room.
Batman makes angsty look good.
Batman wins at life.

Yes, I am complete Batman trash. I'd go as far as to say that Bats is probably the most interesti
Miranda Reads
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The darkness was his ally, not his enemy.
Whoa Nelly, back up comic books cause Marie Lu has completely revamped this genre.

A teenage Bruce Wayne must deal with:

A) the family fortune
B) his blooming company
C) friendships falling out
D) the cell of Nightwalkers terrorizing the city

All without losing his mind or failing classes.
Bruce watched his friend go. Then he glanced at Alfred. "We need to make a pit stop."
"Where?"
"WayneTech."
Alfred shot him a wary glance. "Lucius would warn you none o
Khurram
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did like this story, I would have given it 3.5 stars but thought is deserved a round up. Though I cannot say if this was because of my bias of Batman being my one of favorite characters of all time. Though this is also the reason I would take off at least one star. As good as the story is this is Bruce Wayne's story, this is not quite an origin but a before he was Batman story.

One of the things that made Batman different from almost every other character is Superman take off his cape and put o
C.G. Drews
This was a little bit fun, but a liiiitle underwhelming. I really enjoyed Wonder Woman: Warbringer and I LOVE Batman, so I did have high hopes?!? But for some bizarre reason I never seem to connect to Marie Lu books and I was pretty disappointed that this is about Bruce Wayne, pre-Batman days. Like I mean, I get it. ORIGIN STORY. But my eyeballs are upset.

So it was a mixed cereal bowl for me. I loved the tech and the premise and the murdery stuff, but I found the plot unrealistic. It was fun, bu
Adam Silvera
HERE FOR THIS, MARIE LU!

Lola
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is not an important story, because this is not the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.

That story already exists.

But this an interesting moment in Bruce’s life. This is his coming of age, and an account of the first time his heart blossoms for someone.

This is also the first time he realizes how much Gotham City needs—and deserves—protecting. It’s his home, and so, his being involved in the Nightwalker issue is sudden, accidental, not quite realistic… but nothing if not necessary.

Bruce
may ❀
growing up with older brothers means:
1. always having someone to drive you around
2. being perpetually obsessed with superheros (mainly batman) until like the age of 14

I think I was a batman stan from the very beginning (superman is so boring and predictable, fite me on this
(ง •_•)ง) so I was SUPER excited and also terrified to read this book. Thank goodness marie lu is a queen and loves to slay my existence

Also I legit spent over an hour making this mood board someone send help

description

- This book was
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Random House Reader's Circle (RHRC)
Shelves: from-publisher
But looking out, all he saw was an ocean of light, the shimmering heart of Gotham City spread out before him. He didn't know everything his future held for him, not yet, but he knew that whatever it was, it would remain here.

It looked like a place worth protecting.

It looked like home.

It's rare that I start reviewing with a quote pulled directly from the last page of a book, but in this case I found it appropriate for multiple reasons. First, this book is nothing new; we all know the basics of th
Ben Alderson
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start by saying that Batman is my LEAST favorite superhero.
BUT... Marie Lu has made him a new favorite for me.
I loved this story so much. The writing was clear, well paced and the dialogue fantastic. I flew through this book, dying to know the twists and turns. I adore this world, It really paints Gotham in that cloudly, dark mood that we all know. Marie Lu really knows how to weave a story and make it her own.
I cried... laughed and also screamed in horror at some parts. I loved love
Melanie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Imi (Imi Reviews Books)

This was gifted to me by my amazing, talented, and beautiful friend, Imogen, who I'm forever thankful for!

Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo ★★★

“I can’t think of a story where the billionaire and the murderer end up happily ever after.”

I am not the biggest superhero fan, but I will admit I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Batman. And you all? I honestly loved this. Also, I’ve never read anything by Marie Lu before (I know, I can’t believe it either, honestly) but now I plan on
emi
Everytime I finish a book, I just wanna announce to all of Goodreads THAT I'M BACK BITCHES

But obviously that's a lie. I just have to admit to myself that I am not back yet, as much as I want to be. I still have two seasons left of Keeping of With The Kardashians to binge watch before I return to reading full time.

But anyways, I finished a book! And I have some feelings about it. I will definitely be writing a review in between Kardashian episodes, so keep am eye out for that.

Prereview:
This
🦊 Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Killing this buddy read with the lovely Lily 💕

Deborah Obida
Buddy read with Taylor, my Feb tbr twin.

Just another average read, its way too predictable and it being a retelling didn't really help much, we already know that Batman will save the day, a little more suspense would have been better.

The world building is great, Marie Lu did an amazing job depicting Gotham city, I've read the comic, watched animations and movies about Batman and I have to admit she left nothing out, everything fits.

The writing is okay, a major fast read and very comprehensible,
Fables&Wren
WrensReads Review:

As I previously said, I'm not that big of a DC fan. I am a Marvel Girl 100% through and through. In fact, until I started reading Wonder Woman Comics and watching the movie that came out on repeat (hello, women power), I kind of could care less about DC? I mean, I like Arrow and the Flash and Legends of Tomorrow is okay I guess, but none of them were as spectacular as any of the comics, shows and movies that I watched with Marvel. Wolverine, Loki, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, K
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I'm sorry Marie, but expectations will be going waaay beyond the roof for this one particularly coz Batman is luv, Batman is lyf.

description
Mizuki
Rating: 1-angry-this-is-not-my-Batman-star. The existence of this book is quite an insult to Batman and this book reads like it was written by some third-ranked comic-script-writer who doesn't know enough of a thing about Batman and what he stands for.

I just won't forgive Marie Lu or whoever else is responsible for reducing Bruce Wayne into a hapless young man who thinks with his dick instead of his brain (I know he is only 18 years old in this story, but it is still unforgivable), and the whole
Kai
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, owned
"I can't think of a story where the billionaire and the murderer end up happily ever after."

This was decent. Kind of exactly what I expected. Gotham City, Arkham Asylum, Tall Handsome Dude With Nice Jawline And Unbearable Need To Save Everybody.
This is already my second Marie Lu novel this year - I read Prodigy earlier this month - and probably not my last either.

I have a confession to make: until last year's releases of Wonder Woman and the Black Panther trailer I had no interested whatsoever
Hamad
Actual Rating: 2.25/2.5 stars

"People get bored with your grief. They want something new to talk about. So you stop bringing it up, because you don't want to bore anyone"

I can't say that I am satisfied nor that I am disappointed, I went into this not knowing what to expect except that it is a Batman story, and as mentioned before I am not a huge fan, I used to watch the cartoon show back in the days and always liked Alfred more than Batman...
This only approved my love for Alfred and I dedicate
lucie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, in-english
“Two kinds of people come out of personal tragedy... You're the kind that comes out brighter.”

More like 2.5 stars

Who'd say a story about Bruce Wayne/Batman could be so boring..
I loved Wonder Woman: Warbringer and I had really high hopes for this book then because.. duh.. BATMAN.

This story is about pre-Batman Bruce Wayne. The plot felt highly unrealistic and was predictable af. Because Bruce Wayne gets community service in Arkham Asylum. You see my problem here? He's a kid who does community
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
After reading and loving "Wonder Woman: Warbringer" (the first in this DC Icons series), I didn't know what to expect with this one. I loved the first book in this series and part of me wondered if this novel would be able to live up to that experience. Also, Batman is my favourite 'superhero' (is he a superhero though?) so I was apprehensive and worried that I would have unrealistic expectations or be critical of this story. Luckily enough, all of those worries were for naught! I enjoyed this n ...more
✨    jamieson   ✨
No offence but this cover is literally so good and I'll fight on that

Anyway u think I'm not gonna support the heck out of this book and the good sis Marie lu? Think again
April
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this wasn't a Batman book, it was okay. But being that it was I was a little disappointed in it especially since Marie Lu is the author.
Nina
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Batman: Nightwalker was a good book and I definitely enjoyed it, but it just couldn't keep up with Leigh Bardugo's Wonder Woman. What I loved the most about the first book in this series was how unique the story was and how Bardugo had just managed to glue me to my book because it was so grippig. I'd expected the same from this novel but instead many parts of the book were rather slow and nothing really surprised me at all.

But don't get me wrong, I still liked the book even though it couldn't k
Nikki (Book Allure)
I received an Advanced Reader’s Copy to participate in a blog tour.

Thanks to JM @ Book Freak Revelations and the wonderful Penguin Random House, I was able to read Batman: Nightwalker months before its release date! Just like Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Batman: Nightwalker is an alternate origin story of Bruce Wayne and we read about his life as he comes of age, inherits billions and WayneTech, and fall in love with someone who may only be using him.

Marie Lu is a masterful writer especially when i
Lily ☁️
2 1/2 stars

“You have a heavy heart, for someone with everything.”

Well, this was … all right. Batman: Nightwalker is a decent book, I guess. But also a painfully average one. Painful especially, because I’d prefer not to associate words like the aforementioned, as well as “predictable”, “uninspired”, and “mediocre” with anything regarding Marie Lu. But, alas.

There really isn’t much to say about the plot; Batman: Nightwalker tells the story of teenage Bruce Wayne, who—having turned eighteen re
Chad
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I'll just start with this story has nothing to do with Batman. This is a YA Romance novel with an action sequence thrown in at the end. Bruce Wayne is still in it and his parents were murdered as a child. Alfred is barely in here as his guardian. Those are pretty much where the similarities end.

Bruce Wayne has just come into his trust fund as he turns 18. He's constantly hounded by paparazzi. One night he decides to chase down a criminal in a souped up car that the cops can't catch causing the
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
*** u n p o p u l a r o p i n i o n ***

Meh.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't like this cover. I don't like the yellow color, the city in the Bat symbol, or Bruce's side profile. It looks....fake? Rushed? But above all-- cheesy.

Hate me, fight me, I don't care.

Looks like all the DC Icon book covers are all heading down this route. All matching with the superhero behind their emblem.

NNNGGGGHHHHH.

But I'm still gonna read it because, duh, it's the B A T M A N.
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta

DC Icons (4 books)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)
  • Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)
“Maybe they weren't a smart match but fate had matched them anyway; and someday in some future perhaps they would be matched again.” 6 likes
“You have a heavy heart, for someone with everything.” 3 likes