Start by marking “The Truth and Lies of Ella Black” as Want to Read:
The Truth and Lies of Ella Black

The Truth and Lies of Ella Black

Until one day, telling her nothing, her parents whisk her off to Rio de Janeiro. Determined to find out why, Ella takes her chance and searches through their things.

And realises her life has been a lie.

Published January 11th 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Truth and Lies of Ella Black, please sign up.
Juan Ignacio (Un Cinéfilo Entre Libros) for me, yes. Because is more cruel and realistic than FLORA BANKS. In this book, she keep the same formula: girl living with her parents; moving on th…morefor me, yes. Because is more cruel and realistic than FLORA BANKS. In this book, she keep the same formula: girl living with her parents; moving on the new place/country; plot; a little bit of romance, plot-twist with a good final... but there are an evolution on her writting =)(less)

Start your review of The Truth and Lies of Ella Black
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
If this had not been an arc it would have been a straight DNF. It was one of the most amateurishly written novels I have read in recent times. The book paints itself as a twisty turny thriller but instead loses itself to cheap attempts at psychological drama and a wannabe love story so beyond the realms of far fetched that it's utterly laughable.

The main character Ella starts out as this seemingly normal teenager with a normal life but she is hiding this darker side. She is struggling to not lo
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
 photo 9780141367002_zps5fcxh5xh.jpg

The Truth and Lies of Ella Black by Emily Barr was a book I had been anticipating for a while
I was so very excited to get started with this one as the blurb sounded fantastic.
Unfortunately, this was not quite what I was expecting.
I'd go as far as to say this fell massively short of the mark in terms of what I expected this to deliver, I am so disappointed.
It was like a tale of two halves, the first being super exciting.
Do you remember that old 1956 film The Bad Seed, super movie.
Well, this i
Bee
Aug 28, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf-ed
Maddie and I were listening to this in the car, and got around 50% through before giving up. Ella was an absolute brat, the narrative was repetitive for no reason, and when she started disrespecting her parents I was like NO.
Emmy Ruijven
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read in a LONG time. It made me sick. Why did I finish this at all? Review coming up on my blog. ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Probably more like 2.5 stars. Hit and miss.

I was a huge fan of The One Memory of Flora Banks so I was quite excited to read this. Flora touched my heart and is the kind of character that stays with you. Unfortunately this time not so much with our main protagonist who frankly was a little bit entitled and a lot whiny.

Anyway though - there were good things and bad things.

The Good: The portions of the story where she's alone in Brazil, the life there - it came alive on the page and made you feel t
Nora
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Zainab
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
There were some parts that felt a bit too unreal but other than that,I quite liked the story.
Louise Wilson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ella Black seems to live the life other 17 year olds would kill for. Until one day, her parents whisk her off to Rio De Janerio. Determined to find out why, Ella searches through her parents things and realises her life has been a lie. They are not her parents. So Ella runs away with to the favelas. But she learns a terrible secret, the truth about her real parents and their past.

I really thought this was going to be a good read after reading the burb but unfortunately it wasn't. I did not like
Katerina  Kondrenko
2 out of 10

Well, it was weird, uninteresting and unlikeable. At least for me. Many illogical and unbelievable details that were put there to create some tension and drama (spoiler: it didn't work). Super annoying MC.
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
The Truth and Lies of Ella Black just wasn't for me unfortunately. I had so much trouble connecting with Ella and really had no understanding of the things she did and the way she behaved. She just came across as so bratty. Above everything I hated the way that she treated her parents. Such a lack of respect. Oh well, we can't love them all! ...more
ilsa➹
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-arc, 1-star, arc
thinking about how if this trash could be published...then maybe my WIP has the chance to be as well
Hannah
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
I put this down on page 12 when mental illness was used to justify horrific animal abuse. It's a no from me.

As I've only actually read 11 pages, I don't feel it would be appropriate to give a star rating on here (it's clearly a 1 in my head) but I can't imagine it gets any better.

I'm also going to get rid of my copy of The One Memory of Flora Banks and avoid everything else by this author because what I read last night was totally unacceptable.
Rosanna Threakall
This was better than I could have expected. If you want to travel to Rio and go on an emotional rollercoaster, this is the book for you. Boy does it pack a punch.
Stacey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

"Ella Black seems to live the life most other seventeen-year-olds would kill for . . .

And realises her life has been a lie.

Her mother and father aren't hers at all. Unable to comprehend the truth, Ella runs away, to the one place t
Mridula Gupta
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another misleading book, the cover is beautiful, the blurb is intriguing and the plot is, well, unexpected in a terrible terrible way.

Ella Black- a 17-year-old kid with a secret, which is nothing but her dark side- Bella. While Ella is a fun loving person and loves painting and hanging out with her friends, Bella draws happiness from killing and destruction. As the days pass Bella seems more in control of Ella than her positive side. Ella is struggling to make peace with her alter ego. But one f
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Top things I don't like in books = insta-love (and I mean LOVE not crush/romance) & bad mental health rep. At times it felt like it was picking up but then something else ridiculous happened and I was like?? No??
There were some interesting parts and if there were only 2 of the about 15 different storylines think it would have been better? It felt all over the place tbh and it's a shame bc mystery and adventures in Rio has so much potential! But the terrible possible schizophrenia rep (if that's
Chloe
Oct 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was going to give this 2 stars, but screw it, let’s go for 1. I didn’t enjoy this book. I couldn’t quite pinpoint why I thought the plot was silly, but after reading another person’s review I can agree with them - this whole thing was a teenager throwing a mega-tantrum over a personal discovery. The beginning of the book was so weird, and I was intrigued, but it was completely misleading. Also, the goodreads summary pretty much spoiled half the book!
Catherine  Pinkett
Jan 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Alison
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Argh!!! This book, I don't really know where to begin. I'm so confused and don't really know what to think about it. I apologize in advance, this review is going to be messy.

OK, let me start by saying I was so excited about this book. I absolutely adored The One Memory of Flora Banks and would rate it as one of my favorite books of the year so when I heard the author had another book coming out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Flora Banks was by no means the perfect read but there was some
Nav (she/her) 🌧
TW - self harm attempt, animal abuse, animal murder

So, I just finished reading a fantasy book and usually as a mood reader I know what genre book I'm next in the mood to read. But for once I didn't. So, I went to my Goodreads 'want to read' shelf, organised the books by 'average rating' and just decided to pick one of the lower rated books to see if I agreed with the majority or had an unpopular opinion. The book I chose was The Truth and Lies of Ella Black and on first glance the synopsis sound
Sabrina
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktails
40 days until she dies. The start of the book sounds clear enough, but as you continue to see these mysterious numbers counting down you realise it's not as simple as you expect. Ella Black leads a privileged life with parents who will do anything for her. But they don't know she is hiding a secret and is not really the simple, nice girl she tries so hard to seem. When they pull her out of school for an unexpected trip to Rio, she finds out that everyone has secrets of their own and nothing abou ...more
Sharon
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Ella Black has a secret but it’s not as big as the one her parents hid from her for 18 years.

The news, when Ella finally uncovers it, spirals her down a dark path.

To say I was confused is an understatement. Throughout the book Ella just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

The support characters flit in and out of her life like the crazy thoughts that crowd her mind.

I didn’t not like this book as it had the same breathless pacing that made The One Memory of Flora Banks so good.

But where Flora
Lauren James
Dec 08, 2017 added it
Shelves: ukya
Really dark story about a girl falling apart and running away to Brazilian favelas. Travelogue meets Jekyll & Hyde.
Gabby
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Thanks to Penguin for sending me a copy of this book for review.

The One Memory of Flora Banks was one of the first books I read in 2017, and I really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to picking up The Truth and Lies of Ella Black. Unfortunately, it didn't quite reach my expectations.

I thought this book was going to be a psychological thriller, and from reading the synopsis, I thought there was going to be some aspects of mental health. I wouldn't call it a thriller; there were aspe
Sara Oxton
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Truth and lies of Ella Black a powerful five-star read. This is a book that I loved and I know my teenage god daughter will love as well, it’s a story that people off all ages will get. I hope when I give a copy to my god daughter it sparks a passion for reading that a similar book my aunt gave me when I was a similar age to her had on me, that book altered the course of my life and I think this book has a similar power. There is a certain 40 days and 40 nights parallel to this story as its ...more
Angel Lederhause
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, default
definitely a weird book and not something I think would really happen but it was ok.
Lucy
(view spoiler)

Now that's over, I'll move onto the actual b
Addie Marie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
This was the most juvenile thing I’ve ever read in my life.
chelsea
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
surprisingly, i didn't like this book at all. i really enjoyed emily barr's one memory of flora banks, but was let down by the truth and lies of ella black.

one of my biggest issues with the truth and lies of ella black is the use of mental illness to do "bad" things. page 12 is the first time this happens and is one of the worst. the "bad version" of ella (called bella) kills a bird with a hammer. later on, bella is used as an excuse for shitty behaviour towards her family.

throughout the whole b
Aparna Preethi
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually thought it was some paranormal or psychotic thriller until it hit me. The book was actually about a young girl, who wanted to hide her evil side, then wanted to know her identity, later couldn't accept her identity she found and at the end creating her own identity. This was the actual plot I got from the tale. Though it was not much satisfactory, the crisp of love was quite acceptable. But it was sad that the plot being not so strong, the reader could be easily distracted by the outs ...more

• This Lie Will Kill You
  • Lying About Last Summer
  • See How They Lie
  • Lies Like Poison
  • Good Girls Die First
  • Kill Joy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #0.5)
  • Why Mummy’s Sloshed: The Bigger the Kids, the Bigger the Drink
  • Haunt Me
  • Christmas on Primrose Hill
  • Otherwise Pandemonium / Not a Star
  • 21 måder at dø
  • Kika Superbruja y los dinosaurios (Kika Superbruja, #16)
  • Hexe Lilli im wilden Wilden Westen
  • Kidnapped by the Agent
Emily Barr worked as a journalist in London, but always hankered after a quiet room and a book to write. She went travelling for a year, writing a column in the Guardian about it as she went, and it was there that she had an idea for a novel set in the world of backpackers in Asia. This became Backpack, which won the WH Smith New Talent Award. She has since written eleven more adult novels publish ...more