Start by marking “Anchored by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Anchored by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller Book 3)

Anchored by Death

(Jo Oliver Thriller #3)

A Dead Body, A Cryptic Clue—Will Jo Oliver Solve the Riddle in Time?

Police Chief Jo Oliver needed a little time to herself. But when her escape to Wisconsin turns deadly, she teams up with FBI agent Nick Vitarello, hoping to catch the Bow Tie Killer. Their romantic past and complicated present leads them into uncharted territory as they match wits with a psychopath bent
Published July 1st 2017 by Elk Lake Publishing Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Anchored by Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anchored by Death

Start your review of Anchored by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller Book 3)
Kirsty ❤️
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was convinced I'd read this book - looks like I forgot to put the review on here :)

This, for me was a little bit different from either your standard detective novels or the quirky bookshop-turned-sleuth novels simply because it's quite a Christian book. I can't really think of a better way to put it. I'm spiritual rather than religious and wasn't brought up in a religious household so it's not something I really see in my reading material. Every so often lead character Chief jo Oliver will sto
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

I’m a sucker for police procedurals and suspense/thriller novels, so I was excited to read Anchored by Death. This book is an intriguing blend of the above elements, as well as a large dose of both romance & Jo Oliver’s spiritual growth. Lots of high-stake suspense will keep you engaged in the story, and the adoption subplot adds an extra layer of heart to the mix.

Jo Oliver is, overall, a great character and very complex. She’s feisty and smart but also has a softer, more vulnerable si
Julia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anchored By Death by Catherine Finger is a contemporary Christian suspense thriller and the third book in the Jo Oliver series, which I am loving.
This novel sees Jo Oliver tracking down a serial killer. As the bodies mount up, so do the clues which the police put together.
The book is about the chase, which reminds the reader that God chases after us with a relentless passion so we do not escape His loving arms.
We label people ‘good’ or ‘bad’ but we all are “made in the image of God.” No one is t
Connie Saunders
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Oliver is like so many of today's women. She has worked her way up and is now the Haversport Chief of Police but she also yearns to be a mother and this isn't working out quite as well. From the beginning of this book it's evident that Jo is a strong, capable woman but she is also emotionally fragile. Her efforts to adopt a seven year old girl appear to be on hold and she is also being forced to take a short leave from her job. It is while she is on vacation that she becomes caught up in the ...more
Wanda C
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, the first of the series I have read, captivated me as soon as I read the prologue. The main character, Jo Oliver, goes through a lot both emotionally and physically. There is mystery, adventure, romance, and faith. Many of the characters appear to have each others' back. When you read the story, keep in mind her visiting a store looking for Fritos; my take away was the owner was trying to keep her in a safe place.

Based on a five-star rating, I give it five stars!
1) Buy from the author
Maureen Timerman
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This is the third book in this series, and Jo Oliver is on a required rest, and while doing so, she finds a body. Now this is the second book in this series that I have read, and like the first, this one is full of action, to the point she may not make it beyond this read.
You never know what will set a killer off, and this one is deep, and will Jo, Quinn and Nick, along with others be able to take this person down, and stop the madness? Will Jo be able to bring her daughter home? Then the big qu
Charli
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
**I received a copy of this book free from NetGalley & JKS Communications in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.

I really wanted to read this book. I really wanted to like this book. But after getting a third of the way through the book and still finding that it just didn't capture or keep my interest, I knew. This book was destined for the abandoned books shelf.

I don't know if the problem was that I came in on the 3rd book of a series or if the book simply is a
Lisa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The third installment of the Jo Oliver mystery thrillers takes place in Wisconsin. In this story, Jo, or Josie to her friends, is ordered to take some vacation time after a harrowing run-in with a murderer and near death experience. Her vacation ends abruptly on the sixth hole of an early-morning solitary round of golf when she runs after a cap sailing in the wind and traces it back to its owner, buried upright at the edge of an Indian mound.

This is the first book of the series for me. I stop tr
Bev
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read, own-it
This is the first book I have read by this author......WOW!!!! I love characters who are like "real people" and especially females that are not afraid to do what they think needs done or say what they want to say. This is a great suspenseful story. If you have not read it yet.....get it!!! I received a copy of this book from Net Galley.
Rhonda Lomazow
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in this series.A tense page turner well written keeps me turning the pages.
Sydney
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new Jo Oliver book doesn't disappoint. Same great mystery pacing and character development from the first two books with a new story that will keep you reading feverishly through the end!
Sara
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thilling suspense story with faith-based elements.... now that's a surprising genre! Catherine Finger has created a fascinating set of characters and most importantly, w female protagonist with not only spunk and grit, but the values that many readers also care deeply about. I enjoyed this "Murder with a Message" and think many contemporary readers, Christian or otherwise, would find this a refreshing read.
Wilani Wahl
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what an awesome suspense thriller. I was kept guessing till the end,, I love the characters who seem so real. Jo is a new Christian and is trying to learn how to live the Christian life while continuing her job as a police chief. This is the third book in the series and can stand alone but it would be better if you read the books in order. This is well written.
Jeanie
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel, third in the Jo Oliver Thriller series, includes a fascinating mystery, a faith that grows amidst crisis, and love. Love for a mother, a daughter, the man she sent away, and the community of friends around her. Love of and for the mighty God who brought her into His kingdom. The hunt for a killer is breathtaking. I enjoyed reading Jo’s considerations of her job and the beautiful scenery.

Police Chief Jo Oliver is in her Wisconsin hometown, recovering from almost dying as a result of t
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, celebrate-lit
Book three in the Jo Oliver Thriller series, “Anchored by Death” offers a mixture of mystery and romance as Jo becomes involved in another case despite being on vacation to recover from the last one. This is one series that needs to be read in chronological order in order to fully understand each character’s backstory. Because of time constraints, I have not been able to do so and have, due to my blogging schedule, instead been reading them in reverse order, which does give away the details and ...more
Randi Sampson
When I first started reading Anchored by Death, I must admit that I did not realize that this book was part of a series. It is in fact book number three in the author's Jo Oliver thriller series. I very quickly figured this out. While there are some series that can be picked up at any time in the series without issue, I feel like this is one that you are most likely going to want to start from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good story on it's own... but I certainly felt as if ...more
Erin
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Anchored by Death:
This series intrigues me. I was sent this book to review but had not read the entire series. This does make it difficult to understand some bits and you definitely do feel lost in some of it. Plus I think half the characters have been in previous novels and you really probably want to know what happened to them before and why they’re important in this one.

Jo Oliver is supposed to be resting. And while resting she decides to play some golf. But when that solitary
Pam
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anchored by Death is the first novel I’ve read by Catherine Finger. It is also the third installment of the Jo Oliver Thriller series. I am actually scheduled to also review the first two books, apparently in reverse order. That should be interesting. I cannot honestly state that this book can stand alone although I was able to understand and enjoy it. I do believe that the missing background info from the previous two books would have enhance my enjoyment tenfold.

For the most part the plot move
Rosalyn
After I began reading, I discovered this was the third book in a series. But, this is a new-to-me author, and the first book I'd read in this series. This made it a bit complex, to just jump right in the middle of this character's life like this...maybe I would've felt like I understood more what was going on if I'd started at the beginning? In spite of this handicap, I still liked this story!

Jo is a fun, if somewhat complex, heroine. This story is all about her, and a lot of it is about her lov
Deana Dick
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the other books in this series and found them enjoyable. It does help to read them but I think this book could stand alone and still be able to follow the storyline. The attraction between Jo and Nick seemed to be a big focus in the book. There were parts that I felt were a little more descriptive than I like. Everyone has their preference in that area so I will leave it up to the readers. Jo is not quite sure she wants to continue her relationship and I was a bit frustrated with her ...more
Randy Tramp
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st Time Reading: Of all the books I’ve read, Jo Oliver is one of my favorite characters. Her down-to-earth, spit-fire personality makes her an exciting character.

The action starts right away on a golf course. Jo finds a dead body. Tension builds throughout the story, mysteries unfold in each chapter. She has to stop a serial killer. Jo and Nick set out to find him. The plot thickens when they discover it may be someone Nick knows.

Pulled into the vortex of her crazy-making world.
And “Yup.” “I ha
Caitlyn Santi
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great Christian mystery/suspense novel! I've been searching for a good thriller series featuring a strong female main character and I have definitely found it in the Jo Oliver Thriller series! Anchored By Death is an excellent story with tons of twists and turns, it's my favorite book of the series so far! Jo is such an awesome character, I love how delightfully real she is, her struggles are so relatable and I found myself learning and growing right alongside her.
I love Nick! He
April
To be totally transparent, I haven't read the first book but I will because I enjoyed Anchored by Death. This book picks up after Jo Oliver has faced down a serial killer and lost the love of her life (due to her own choices) in Shattered by Death. I enjoyed the quick pace and the developing relationships between all the characters. Two particular characters stand out: Gino and Lisa. Gino is Jo's spiritual mentor and stand-in father while Lisa is charming and kind. Everyone should have those typ ...more
Debbie
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend reading this series in order , but I have read two of the four and can still follow the story. These stories are about murder as you can tell by the titles but they are romances as well, with a lot of background tellings about past episodes but the scenes aren't too graphic. Just too much necking for me in a Christian novel. But, yes I would recommend these books.
Again, this book reminds me of the television show " Criminal Minds". I really liked the profiling and how defined the in
Amy
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was a pretty quick read for me and very hard to put down. I was drawn in to care about these characters as their lives are threatened by a serial killer. First, I will say that this is the third book in the Jo Oliver Thriller series, and the second one I read. The fourth was the first book I read so for some reason I am reading the series backwards. It has been interesting but I do not recommend it. I will be reading the first two soon as well. I hope to read the first one next, and then co
Tabitha Bouldin
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This third book in the Jo Oliver Thriller series is quite the charmer. Oh, there’s plenty of mystery and mayhem, but we really start to see Jo and Nick come together in Anchored by Death.

I do recommend you read the series in order. You won’t be completely lost if you choose to pick one out of the bunch, but things will make more sense if you have the background given in the other books.

Jo is a magnet for bad luck and psychopaths. Great for the stories, not so great for Jo. She manages herself we
Ashley Dawn
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. It was the first in the series for me so I felt a little lost at the start but I soon figured things out. Jo is on vacation from her job as police chief because of a horrible experience. That also put in jeopardy the adoption of her daughter. Their interactions were super sweet and I loved seeing that.

Unfortunately, Jo can't even get away from the job on vacation because she finds a dead body on the golf course. Jo is a new Christian and she has some good friends around her
Joan
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel revolves around the character of Police Chief Jo. Her thoughts and relationships are the major aspects of the story. This is a good novel for readers who like a character driven one. While Jo is aggressive in her pursuit of the murderer and works well with other law enforcement people, she does seem to be in need of rescue often. She is an emotional woman and we readers get a good dose of her thoughts. There was one “necking” scene that I thought was a bit much for a Christian novel o ...more
Betti
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hang on to your seat, you’re in for a real thriller! Police Chief Jo Oliver seems to get in the middle of the most terrifying situations. A solitary golf game, a lost ball and a dead body and so the mystery begins. What follows is adventure, danger and murder all set in the serene Wisconsin countryside.
The wonderful characters are people you would love to meet, but perhaps not when they are on the hunt for a serial killer.

While I have not read books 1 & 2, I had no trouble catching up with the
Amy
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Catherine Finger’s Jo Oliver Thriller series and Anchored by Death is no different. Since it is the third book in the series, I would recommend to reading the first two books before beginning this one. However, readers who have not read those two books, will still be able to catch on as to what is going in this one.
Anchored by Death has a lot of what I enjoy to read in a book. Which includes: action packed adventure and suspense filled mystery. I was left hanging as to how it woul

• Secrets Resurfaced (Roughwater Ranch Cowboys, #4)
  • Dark Water (Lantern Beach Blackout #1)
  • Desert Willow
  • One Hundred Valleys
  • Turning Tide (The Legacy of Sunset Cove #4)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • When I Meet You (Tree of Life #3)
  • Dead Silence
  • Terror in the Skies (Turbulent Skies #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Redemption (Rocky Mountain Revival Book 1)
  • Ranger to the Rescue (The Texas Ranger Series Book 2)
  • The Sugar Baron's Ring (The Leeward Islands, #3)
  • Texas Twin Abduction (Cowboy Lawmen #1)
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers #1)
  • On a Coastal Breeze (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Flight Risk
  • Amish Country Murder
  • The Green Dress

Jo Oliver Thriller (4 books)
  • Cleansed by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller, #1)
  • Shattered by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller, #2)
  • Capsized by Death (A Jo Oliver Thriller Book 4)

News & Interviews