Start by marking “Who Sent Clement? (Clement #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Sent Clement? (Clement #1)

Who Sent Clement?

(Clement #1)

From the bestselling author of The '86 Fix, a miraculous tale of debts, threats, and a dead man in double denim.

Beth Baxter, owner of a not-very-successful book shop, is planning her marriage to Karl — or, at least she was. Without warning, Beth suddenly finds herself embroiled in a sinister series of events that threaten to destroy everything she holds dear.

All see

Published July 4th 2017 by CrestaPress Publishing

Start your review of Who Sent Clement? (Clement #1)
Tony
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A rather nice little tale with enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning. It does seem to take a while getting from A to B on occasion, but on the whole, Mr Pearson can certainly write!

Give it a go, I’m starting to really appreciate this writer!
Mark Draper
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished this book after blasting through it. It normally takes me weeks to finish a book but this was one I've found myself coming back to whenever possible to see what happens next.

I really enjoyed The '86 Fix and it's follow up so I was interested to see where the author would go next. Not strictly a time travel story, yet it sort of is by way of it being a reverse Life on Mars in that the person out of time claims to be from the 70s.

I don't want to spoil the plot. so let me just s
Alex Sheldon
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having thoroughly enjoyed The '86 Fix and its follow-up, I assumed I'd be no less than pleasantly satisfied when reading Who Sent Clement.
I wasn't far off.
Minus the time travel element and 80's nostalgia of the author's previous work (both a great combination btw!), this too is built on a little inexplicable premise without going through the trouble of attempting to explain the nitty gritty details - which suits the story just fine!
Just who did send Clement to help out a lady in a spot of troubl
David Peat
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story

I loved the story and the characters. The suspension of disbelief was easy to grasp, as the tone created by the writer was skilled and well judged. However, the book needed a good edit. The first quarter, until Clement arrived could’ve been cut by 60% and the whole book could’ve been cut by30%. Despite this, the book is worth preserving with and the waffle is still pleasing. A big fan of the Broadhall novels, this did not reach those heights. But I will continue to support this indie
Kay Smillie
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good I genuinely couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Having been amused by the 86 Fix duology I was hoping this would be in the same mould. It sort of is, although it is (as stated in other reviews) Life on Mars in reverse where Clement appears in 2017, having apparently died in 1975. Funniest guardian angel ever struggling to get to grips with 21st century technology and what is and most definitely socially acceptable nowadays. All this and Beth's life seemingly falling apart at the ...more
Marina Johnson
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book; Keith Pearson has a way of writing that makes the unbelievable seem completely normal and perfectly acceptable. Clement is hilarious; non pc, to the point and in a way, innocent. I loved the 'Frozen' part -such clever writing to show the different facets of Clement's character. A great story and a very satisfying ending too - thrilled to see that there are more books in the series which I'll be reading very soon. ...more
Patricia
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Audiobook. I'm of two minds about this; I felt no empathy or even interest (I would not have been friends with the main character if I'd met her) in the characters, although I guess Clement was entertaining. Well researched any way. I lived in London in 1980, so not far off of the 1975 he talked about and it was very much the way it was described.

It was a very long audiobook (good for lockdown), but I also found it irritating. The main character - I can'tr even remember her name and I just fini
Phil Altimas
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keith-a-pearson
Beth is living a nightmare, her boyfriend has left her with an issue she cant cope with
and then a big strange man appears out of no where
is he there to help or to hinder
its a great story and great read, well written and good pace
loved it
Jennifer Dege
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
May I keep Clement?

Beth's in trouble, her life falling to pieces, bit by bit. Help arrives in an unusual form. Pearson subtly weaves together Beth's personal awakening (swift kick in the...) and Clement's unique adventurous problem solving... er... methods.

I waited impatiently for Clement to make his appearance, and my pertinacity was well rewarded. Without even a heralding thunderclap, Clement arrived on the scene fully fleshed out, complete with mannerisms and a certain way of speaking. I crin
Patricia
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming tale about a woman who doesn't believe in miracles, despite the evidence. Evidence in the form of Clement, who is working to redeem himself in order to get to heaven.

Well written with a clever storyline, believable characters and bit of humor.
Pamela
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first in another great series from Pearson. It’s not as good as the “86 Fix” series, but it will do. It will definitely do.

NOTE: Pearson could certainly do with an editor. The hyper-correction of “and I” rather than “and me” after prepositions is more than a little irritating, and he does it Every Single Time. There’s also a scattering of bear/bare errors. It is also annoying that no one drinks/downs/gulps/anything—they “neck” it. They always “neck” it. Always. But by far, the most obvious
Jdy Lewis
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pearson Keeps Writing Good Fun

I save five stars for stories that take the top of my head off. That said, I rate this 4 out of five. It's entertaining, and I was rooting for the characters. They didn't make choices that left me saying, "Don't do it, stupid!"
Without spoilers, Clement (dead since 75) has been sent to work out penance by helping a woman whose dad died in a car accident when she was still just a child. He's a solid, physical presence, so she doesn't exactlt believe him. But she does
A
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read the 86 fix last year and loved it. Had high hopes for this and sadly it did disappoint. Clement was a really good character, and he was the only reason I read to the end. Beth on the other hand was one of the most poorly written female characters I’ve read in a long while. I don’t feel like she would have the mental capacity to find her way out of a paper bag, let alone be able to run a business, neither would she have the emotional maturity or selflessness to be in a relationship with some ...more
Paul
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, what can I say? The book ticked so many boxes for me. The writer has a clear precise style which I found easy to read. It is a light read but at the same time has a few life lessons and some wonderful dry humour. What stood out for me was the language of the leading lady which was so spot on that I thought the writer was a woman until I checked at the end! Her reflections gave her a depth which made the plot work much better. It was so refreshing to have flawed characters who came across a ...more
David Grieve
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A woman down on her luck in a big way is visited by a mysterious stranger who claims to have been killed in the early 70s and has been brought back to help her. Together they have seven days to find £20,000, or she will face disaster.

So far so good. The story bounds along at a good rate and the writing is clear and concise. The storyline is ok without being very memorable. The conceit that runs through it, as to whether he is or isn't who he says he is, gets a bit repetitive. All in all it is ha
Alison
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been mean elsewhere about one of the author's other main characters (Craig from The '86 Fix, if you care) I thought I'd balance my karma a bit and come and review Clement.

Clement is a flawed '70's fairy godmother and he's awesome. Without getting too much into spoilers he pops in (and then out) of people's lives, helping out where needed to atone for his past crimes. So far (I've read 3) each book is dedicated to one person that needs help and once Clement's mission is complete he moves
Judith Rhead
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From listening to Keith Pearson, modestly describing himself as an author on BBC Radio 2’s Popmaster quiz, he has now become my new favourite author.
Sheer escapism, ( just what we all need right now) is how I would describe “Meeting Mungo Thunk” and “Who Sent Clement”.
I have already bought my third read and can’t wait to follow Clement’s escapades.
The books are both touching and funny, with a lovely light moral message. I couldn’t wait to metaphorically turn the Kindle page to find out how th
Remy Sharp
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, and after reading Pearson's '86 fix and the sequel, I'm pretty certain I'll continue to read his books.

The book was a solid page turner, nothing too taxing and a great pairing of characters: Beth (our protagonist) and Clement the deuteragonist. They go on an adventure to find some gold to pay off a local gangster for a debt that Beth doesn't owe.

I just enjoyed the journey of following these two as trapiese through London, test their awkward boundaries and continue to question
Denoramae
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different in a very positive way.

Beth Baxter is a thirty something women running a sad little used book store. Once upon a time she had a lovely childhood, but at the loss of her father, things changed. She grew up, finished an advance degree and lived through a few lousy relationships. When faced with danger and worry for herself and mother it seemed her life was one long sad tale. But then Clement appeared.
Beautifully written with characters you will be able to both relate too and feel for, t
Steve Black
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I seem to be in a minority, but I think 3* is quite generous. I did finish the book, mainly to see if the ending was as predictable as I thought and in the hope that something new might happen. In terms of what does happen, the book is overly long. I don't have a problem with the unreality of the basic premise, but to me the style was tedious and with a plethora of unnecessary detail.
All reviews are personal and many will disagree. The book will probably appeal to those who prefer a cosy mystery
Richard
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming and exciting in equal measure

I'm a big fan of Keith Pearson's books and this one is no exception.

It's part time travel, part thriller, part comedy - a story about a female bookshop owner who finds herself in the debt of a monster through no fault of her own.

Out of nowhere appears her saviour. A man called Clement who claims he died in the 1970s.

The chemistry between the bookshop owner, Beth, and the huge bruiser, Clement, is charming. Clement is befuddled by modern life (to amusing eff
Patric Mockler
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Careful !, I think reading Clement is habit forming.

To be honest, I was just looking for a light read. What I discovered was was a very well written book. The characters were so well drawn, I could picture them as I read. The story itself had me laughing, thinking and feeling sad, sometimes all in the space of one page.
For me, once I started reading I finally found that the well worn slogan "Couldn't put it down" actually can be true and certainly applies to this novel.
Looking forward to readin
Barry Flannagan
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Clement is De Man!

Very enjoyable and well written. It's difficult to dislike Clement despite his Sweeney style characterisation and he gets away with it by his sheer presence on the page.
Just like the time travel shows such as Life on Mars we allow for the casual sexism and use of language that would never be tolerated now simply because he is of his time and despite this Clement remains a force for good and for this alone we applaud him. Long may be live.....or is it relive in his case !
Ms Jayne Faraday
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and fun.

Loved this book, Clement is a brilliant character and I really enjoyed reading about his methods to help our protagonist to pay off the bad guy! Lots of themes covered, love, loss, and the best type of ending - happy, but with the option of more adventures for Clement. As guardian angels go, he isn't like Clarence from 'It's a Wonderful Life'! A real entertaining read!
Jo Nicholson
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After spending almost a week of my life absolutely glued to the two books of the 86 fix series, I needed more Keith A Pearson in my life. Thankfully he had just released Who Sent Clement, which I have to say is now probably my favourite of the three books I've read. While it lacks the time travelling hilarity of the first two, it is a brilliant 'putting the world to rights' book, and I have such a soft spot for Clement now <3

Can't wait for more from this awesome indie author.
Judith Hodge
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jd loves. Reading

This author is new to me but I have already bought his next book in the series. I want to read it immediately but I loved this book so much the characters, the funny plot lines and the wonderful writing I am going to read Andrew Marrs History of the World to slow me down and when it gets too heavy I will think of Clement and his friends and look forward to it all the more. Thankyou
m.l.jupp
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I'm a great fan of Jody Taylor and was looking for something else to read in between. This is well written.funny. The characters are 3 dimensional. The story has twists, turns and tension. I didn't want it to end. And yes there is a sequel. Phew.

As a CW student i was interested how Keith writes as a woman. He does it well. And he writes in first person present tense. And he sustains this throughout. excellent. I'm a new fan.
Jacquie Jerrard
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really unusual story

I loved this book the dynamics between the two main characters was intriguing. The fact they were both out of their depth provided some funny and memorable moments. The character of Mr Sinclair I hated on first reading, as this was the supposed reaction to a nasty and devious character. Keith writes with a no nonsense ATTITUDE which I love. I hope my first e-book is as good as this. Loved it.
Carol
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly good read!

I don't want to give any spoilers if you haven't read this book or another in the series, but Who Sent Clement is a fast moving, rollocking good tale. Beth Baxter is facing some serious trouble when suddenly, and literally, Clement appears. He claims he has been sent to put her life right again. But who is Clement and where did he come from? A light read, but one I couldn't put down. Highly recommended.
Simon Shaw
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Book

What a fantastic book, i stumbled on it by chance, have just finished reading the last middle falls time travel books by Shawn Inmon. I was looking for more of the same and remebered reading The 86 fix and Beyond Broadhall a few years back and really enjoying them, so decided to see if Keith had written any more time travel books. Couldn't see any but did discover Clement. Sort of time travel story. Great character, great story can't wait to read the next one
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Page in Your Diary
  • Need a Little Time
  • Time, for a Change
  • JASON APSLEY'S Second Chance: A Time Travel Adventure (The Jason Apsley Series Book 1)
  • Ahead of his Time: A Time Travel Adventure (The Jason Apsley Series Book 2)
  • Who Needs Love, Anyway?
  • The Reluctant Detective (Martin Hayden Mysteries #1)
  • The Twin Flame Game
  • The Quiet Man (McGarry Stateside, #3)
  • Welcome to Nowhere
  • The Bank of Goodliness: Shadeys Bank needs to clean up its image, a country vicar needs a new career. It could be a match made in heaven. Or Hell.
  • I Have Sinned (McGarry Stateside, #2)
  • The Final Game
  • The Time Travelling Tourist
  • Negative Feedback: Blokey jokey, laugh a minute comedy set in and around Birmingham and the Black Country.
  • The Reluctant Detective Goes South (Martin Hayden Mysteries, #2)
  • Whose Reality Is This Anyway?
  • Disaster Inc (McGarry Stateside, #1)
I rarely visit Goodreads, on account it's a terrifying place for authors who aren't blessed with a thick skin.

If you'd like to know more about me, head over to my website, or you can follow me on Facebook or Twitter.

Clement (3 books)
  • Wrong'un (Clement #2)
  • Clawthorn (Clement, #3)