Start by marking “Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight

Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight

This highly-accessible, dynamic collection offers existential ponderings, comic situations, poetic meditations on death, musical riffs, political commentary, striking imagery and more. The 45 poems in this collection represent a range of styles and subject matter. Fourteen of these poems were previously published in such journals as Antigonish Review, Grain Magazine, Dash, ...more
Paperback, First Edition
Published May 26th 2017 by Burning Flower Press

To ask other readers questions about Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight

Vanessa
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book with a wide range of emotions like honesty, cruelty, pain and survival. The descriptions and imagery are very vivid. This is definitely something to read more than once for a deeper understanding as it is not simplistic poetry. Overall it is a great poetry book and read.
Katharine Coggeshall
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nagin is a true poet with great skill. I say this especially because his poems are on the darker side--deep, raw, and passionate--and in opposition to my own way of thinking, which is effervescent and positive, but he was able to reach me. I enjoyed his poems thoroughly, and I think that shows great talent. The topics became irrelevant to my enjoyment because his skill was so apparent. My favorite was "Cactus."
Katie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nagin's poetry takes a while and for some may prove not to be your thing. In the first few poems of this book we have a rather confusing one more refrain in Flirt, a run of poetry forms being nuked, suffocated, and shot in Poetry Assassin, and in Wondrous Admonition we are called to LISTEN and the end of the poem grinds to a bit of a halt.
It's actually a lot of fun and I imagine Nagin had a lot of fun writing the poems. It's free-verse, and experimental, and you are able to get the ideas behind
Louis Cecile
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a confidence that shines from the poet that is evident from the beginning of this collection.
Such bravado needs to be judged on the poems on display and thankfully, for the most part, it works well. There is a strong focus on America and some of the issues that worry at this present time. There are poems that take on the aspect of being a social commentary.

The poet uses a non-rhyming free verse style and rarely differs from that format to maintain
consistency. There is a conversational f
Jim Bennett
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Star counts are one person’s opinion. This book’s title should prepare you for its content, but not for Nagin’s power of communication. So, as always, do not let my star count override your judgement of content. More on the stars, counting, and my rating challenges later. Let’s get to the point: Nagin’s work.
For a prose poem, turn to Immigrant Love Story, which begins thus: “Your face is my face and my future is your future and yet your face is kept behind a fence and coils of barbed wire and yo
Stephen Bird
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't usually read poetry and the form itself has little relevance for me. However, a number of these poems read like prose; like stories. The poems I like best in this book are those that get right to the heart of the matter. "Paradox" is short and to the point. "Cactus" is an ode to survival. "Endless Blanket" and "Annotations" are composed in a stream of consciousness style -- The first is a compressed "everything but the kitchen sink" analysis of the cosmos; the second concerns taking stoc ...more
Lisa
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is poetry? According to dictionary.com, poetry is the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts. I had to read poetry when I was in school. To be honest, I never thought much of it except for two poems by Edgar Allan Poe: “The Raven” and “Annabel Lee.”

There are forty-five poems in this book that cover all aspects of life, and each one digs deep into the emotional realm. Some of them I liked and some I didn’t. The
Stacie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Butterflies Lost Within The Crooked Moonlight, by Matt Nagin, is a poetry collection with touches of light and humor within the darkness. Grounded in reality, the poems seem to seek an understanding of the world in a concrete sense - though through the creative medium of poetic verse, that understanding can remain elusive to the reader. The poems that felt the most real to me were the ones close to my own experiences as a writer, performer, and English Instructor: Poetry Assassin, March of Sylla ...more
Garfield Whyte
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am a poetry lover but I could make very little sense of these poems. Maybe its my level of appreciation or comprehension that were not in tandem with these. The expressions and style in my view were not poetic. I cannot pick one poem I liked.
Donna Siggers
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matt is, without doubt, my favourite modern poet. This anthology is deep, soulful, humorous and un-put-down-able. Absolutely love the varied themes he's included here and am looking forward to reading more!
Matt Nagin
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Linda Hill
Jan 26, 2019
Mark
Mar 01, 2018
Goodreads Reviewe...: Poetry Reviewers Needed 4 18 Oct 06, 2017 09:29AM
Matt Nagin is an author, educator, actor, filmmaker and standup comedian. He has been published in Writer's Digest, The New York Post, Mic.com, The Humor Times, The Higgs-Weldon, Grain Magazine, Arsenic Lobster, Spillway, Dash, Antigonish Review and many, many more.

In 2018, his poem "If We Are Doomed," won The Spirit First Editor's Choice Award. Matt's first book of poetry ("Butterflies Lost With