Start by marking “Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio” as Want to Read:
Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio

Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio

(Heavy Vinyl #1-4)

When Chris joins the staff at her local record store, she’s surprised to find out that her co-workers share a secret: they’re all members of a secret fight club that take on the patriarchy and fight crime!

Starry-eyed Chris has just started the dream job every outcast kid in town wants: working at Vinyl Mayhem. It's as rad as she imagined; her boss is BOSS, her co-workers s
Published April 24th 2018 by BOOM! Box (first published April 10th 2018)

Start your review of Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was GAY and GREAT
daph pink ♡
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟/5

What else can you expect from a graphic novel ? It was so fucking good!

• Leading ladies against patriarchy ( a ladies fight club solving mysteries , fighting against men, helping people....I fucking want to be in that club...tell me who to contact)

• Art/dialogue/writing was perfect ( It's was funny ....like literally Chris babe I love you)

•It made sense( there are graphic books with great art but lack in depth conversation and storyline ....this was cool!)

• GAY GAY GAY( it has got girls
Chloe
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute graphic novel about girls who love music and are fighting against the patriarchy and so many other amazing things and I definitely recommend it! <3
Sara ➽ Ink Is My Sword
5 “New favorite” Stars

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED:
description

I will lead this review with a list of things this graphic novel contains, browse and see if any of those things are for your liking bitch please, I bet everyone will find something, this has all of the best things:

✔ Puerto Rican girl
✔ African American girl
✔ f/f main couple
✔ 2 interracial couples
✔Girl with gay dads
✔ 2 f/f couples
✔ girl on girl crush heaven
✔ Music
✔1990’s s
Chad
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, ircb-2019
I loved everything about this. It's Empire Records crossed with Scooby Doo (or maybe Buffy without the supernatural). Set in 1998, Chris is the new girl working at the local record store. When the lead singer of a rock band goes missing, her co-workers invite her to join a secret underground fight / detective club. Chris also has a crush on another girl at the record store but doesn't know how she feels. Usdin does a fantastic job of capturing that uncertainty of not knowing how a new infatuatio ...more
Dennis
This was sweet and harmless and ultimately not for me.

The year is 1998 and Chris, the main character, is a 16 yo girl working at the local record store.

description

She’s the new girl. So she has to find her place amongst the clique of girls that’s been there for a while already. She’s also trying to figure out who she is as a person and what she likes. And on top of that she’s having a crush on one of the other girls.

description

I thought the teenage infatuation part was handled well. The uncertainty when you realise f
Alison
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a gift from Melissa over at The Bookish Babbler on youtube and OMG I LOVED IT.
This had empowering females, a fight club, mystery, and music! I thought this was such a unique idea and I was in love with all of the characters. There was a great balance between mystery, action, and personal lives. I'm excited to see where this goes in the future.
Dylan
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Kiss ass vigilante club? YES. Queer qirls? YES. A black girl that isn't the "token black character"????? YES YES YES.

Was this perfect? No, it was a bit rushed and the characters could use a bit more developement, BUT I NEED VOL 2 ASAP.
Devann
Cute art, cute story, cute girls [that have cute crushes on other cute girls], and awesome music - What's not to like? This is definitely a fun idea for a series and I can't wait for volume 2!

Also I sent this page to my friend with the caption "i would be offended by the design of this girl asking where the new placebo album is if it wasn't so spot on" and she replied "lmao who let damien bloodmarch in here" so new headcanon accepted basically ;)

human
Wow, this was AMAZING.

The art style is really good and seriously detailed. I loved the idea of having a secret feminist fight-club.

MAGGIE AND CHRIS ARE SO ADORABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I liked how it ended, but at the same time, I want more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"take on the patriarchy"

OH MY GOD I NEEEEED
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was super cute and I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't "wow" me and some of the commentary on feminism actually felt very out of left field (like don't get me wrong, I agreed with the points being made! I just wasn't sure how it related to the actual topic at hand sometimes), hence 4 stars instead of 5, but generally I'm just always gonna be here for cute queer girls and girls of color having each other's backs, kicking asses, and being hilarious and awkward. ...more
Mir
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic
I like the message, the characters, the art execution.
Unfortunately, the grrl power is rather undermined by how implausible it is. Who is funding this? Why so little training? How do the teens skip so much school and go out at night with none of their parents ever noticing? Maybe some questions will be answered in book 2.
✧・゚: *✧  iro ✧*:・゚✧
WARNING: This review contains *spoilers* because I'm angry and I want to talk about it.

Well, this is awkward.

Heavy Vinyl gave me strong Spell on Wheels vibes, meaning that it had an interesting concept but the execution was rather poor. To be honest I found it quite problematic. Also, a lot of people seem to love it and I am just not.

Heavy Vinyl is catered as a YA lesbian love story, between the main character who works at a record store and her co-worker. Add to the mix a teen all-girl vig
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
it's so cute & fun & also so effortlessly diverse!! two biracial couples one of which is sapphic! gay dads! another sapphic couple! black & puerto rican mcs! ...more
Gary
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the concept but the execution left me wanting. It reads a little like a TV pilot; introducing lots of potentially interesting characters and ideas before running out of time to do much with them. The 90s setting also felt a little like a plot contrivance. I think the idea would work just as well in a contemporary setting.

All that said, I'd totally read a second, more focused volume.
(inactive)
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
this was alright, nothing that special to be honest. i loved all the representation and the whole GIRL POWER concept but other than that it didn’t do much for me.
Aleksandra
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, PLEASE READ IT!

Heavy Vinyl is awesome comic about a vynil shop, where all the employees and the boss are ladies, who are also in secret fight vigilante club, set in 1990s, USA! It's lots of fun, it has great diversity and the main arc is about missing music bands.

The main character is Chris, she's sixteen, she started working in the shop a month ago, she's crushing on her co-worker Maggie. It's very cute! Then the singer from Chris's favorite band goes missing and Chris disc
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Last night I was in the mood for a lighter read so I remembered Bianca's comics recommendations on the Episode 145 of the Reading Envy Podcast and ending up reading Volume 1 of Heavy Vinyl. A female owned and operated record store, which might be a front for another business. Very fun. ...more
Jay G
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

When Chris begins her dream job working at Heavy Vinyl, she never expected to become a member of a girl's fight club. When her favourite singer, Rosie Riot, goes missing, she must find her with the help of her co-workers!

I really liked this! the cast of characters were diverse and a lot of fun. The facial expressions, colours and art style used in the panels were awesome and really enh
Kate (GirlReading)
the music

SO. MUCH. FUN.
Emma
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comic is very cute and interesting. It's set in a record store called Vinyl Mayhem where five girls work all together. So if you're into music it's really nice. Plus there's a very unexpected twist: these girls are all part of a secret vigilante fight club. The comic is all about girl power and it also has a lot of representation in it. I can't wait to read the second volume. I highly recommend it! ...more
Laura (bbliophile)
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this

Re-read: I STILL LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS
Justina Ireland
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heavy on late 90's nostalgia and girl power, a super fun read (bonus points for the very sweet sapphic romance). ...more
theresa
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
i need more!!!

the art in this graphic novel is stunning!! especially the characters!! and i just adored the retro vibe and girl power!!
Bookishrealm
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute comic with badass females and LGBT representation. I absolutely loved it. I was amazed by the plot line and the character development. The story was so easy to follow and it definitely kept my attention the entire time. I LOVED it. I can't wait until the second volume is released and I get the opportunity to see where the story goes. This is also a comic that takes place during the 90s so there is a lot of pop culture references that I loved. If you haven't read this comic d ...more
ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm sad there isn't more to this story. (Yet!). I found the characters cute and dynamic, while also being easy to relate to. There wasn't too many tropes, and every time I thought there would be, the writers surprised me by NOT doing it.

Overall it was a very fun read all about music and girl power and LGBT positivity. Highly Recommend!
Kobi
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow. I really, really loved this.. It was EVERYTHING I could have wished for and more! If you love crime-fighting, kickass, queer ladies you will LOVE this. I can’t wait for the next volume. Everyone go read this!
Rue
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Code Violet!
giphy-94
I will admit this the art on the cover was the actual thing that got me interested in reading it. The story on the other hand was a disappointment and felt rushed.
Pics-Art-01-06-08-18-16
The year is 1998 and Chris, a 16-year-old girl, is working at a record store, crushing on one of her co-workers (Who is a girl! Yay, diversity!) and also trying to figure out what the staff is hiding from her.
Pics-Art-01-06-08-14-16
The main characters are all a bunch of badass girls with a great taste in music... and that's pretty much it. That'
Sascha
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, comics
I was really excited for this and hadn't been able to grab a first issue so waited until the first volume was out. I ended up pretty disappointed. I think it comes down to me expecting too much out of Boom Box comics. They are aimed at a younger set, after all.

This comic was marketed as a fluffy, lesbian-focused comic about a girl w/ a crush on another girl who works in the same record shop as her. I love music, and was looking forward to an all-female cast that also, presumably, loved music. Wh
I Read Comic Books: HMU: Heavy Vinyl *spoilers* 8 22 Feb 21, 2019 06:06AM

• Fence, Vol. 3
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • SLAM!: The Next Jam
Carly Usdin is an award-winning filmmaker based in Los Angeles. Her first feature, Suicide Kale, won the Audience Award for Best First Feature at Outfest 2016. After playing over 30 festivals worldwide the film is now available on iTunes and Amazon Prime. In 2017 Carly served as showrunner and director for the scripted series Threads, produced by New Form for Verizon’s go90 platform. The 20-episod ...more

Heavy Vinyl (4 books)