Start by marking “A Girl in the Himalayas” as Want to Read:
A Girl in the Himalayas

A Girl in the Himalayas

A young girl's presence threatens the peace of a magical sanctuaryhigh in the Himalayas.

Beyond the peaks and valleys of the Himalaya Mountains lies a magical sanctuary. Protected from the chaos of man, it is home to immortal beings and mystical creatures. When Vijaya, a young human girl, is brought to the sanctuary for her protection, the immortals welcome her, but fear
Published April 24th 2018 by Archaia

To ask other readers questions about A Girl in the Himalayas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl in the Himalayas

Start your review of A Girl in the Himalayas
David Schaafsma
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Girl in the Himalayas is the story, a debut graphic novel, of a young girl, Vijaya, who is transported after her parents’s death to a sanctuary in the Himalayas. Like Shang-ri-la? The Himalayas have for centuries been the site of fantasy about holiness and magic, and this story, too, features magic and fantasy creatures. It exists as a kind of state of purity and harmony with nature. It’s also a kind of allegory about growing up amidst the possibility of impending planet catastrophe. What can ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book just came out and I bought a copy two days ago from the bookstore here in Halifax. I wasn't sure what exactly it was about but something drew me to the cover and I figured it'd be interesting to read. It's a really beautiful story with an intelligent main character, and the illustrations are what really make it stand out. Full of magic, fantasy and carrying undertones of Spirited Away as Vijaya tries to prove to her new friends that humans aren't as destructive as the madness ensuing ...more
Nathan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading through A Girl in the Himalayas. The drawings have a strong style and the black/white with one sepia color throughout, is attractive. The story loosely uses concepts germane to both Hindu and Buddhist understanding of the world. Essentially, illusion clouds human hearts and without acknowledging this destructive force humanity is doomed to destroy each other and the earth. The main character is a little girl (Vijaya) that is saved and educated by divine figures (Prasad and ...more
Hailey
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations but something in the story was lacking for me. I also thought certain parts got a bit too philosophical for the target audience.
Blue
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art work is beautiful. The story is complex on the spiritual/nature side with some good depth, but the humans are oversimplified, just evil, period. I wasn't sure why the girl had to take lessons in learning to dress and behave from the lady who only really care about cleanliness (OK, good thing, but standards should be different for living out in nature) and clothes (not necessary) and acting proper (maybe in terms of learning boundaries and paying attention to the important things in life, ...more
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A fascinating fairy tale with striking art. Pretty, clear, and touching. I liked it a lot.
Chris
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Amazing visuals but the story was a little lacking.
Faith Logan
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated graphic novel about a human girl who is adopted by an immortal being to live in a place called "sanctuary". She causes all sorts of trouble and goes on many adventures, but the permeating fear of more humans finding this sacred place looms.
Aaron
When the ills of humanity bleed into the beneficence of nature, the consequences are too obvious to ignore. All the clearcutting, the pollution, and the poaching come at a price, not the least of which is a degradation of human empathy. In A GIRL IN THE HIMALAYAS, readers encounter a finely tuned and not at all improbable variation of this theme, wherein a self-sustaining paradise of beauty and wonder comes under threat of corruption and ill-intention.

A pair of immortal beings, Prasad and Vasu,
Katja
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
This graphic novel was a mix of fairy tale and spirituality and criticism on how we humans are treating our planet and each other (=badly). At first it reminded me a bit of Nagabe's The Girl From the Other Side but it's more straightforward with its story and message and less atmospheric, although there are many panels/pages without text (there's no long passages of text anyway) which create a feel of an ethereal place.

Sparse text lets the pictures speak for themselves and that's certainly
Arminzerella
Melissa Orth
What is up with all these odd graphic novels? Why do strange characters get absolutely no back story?
Two apparently male immortals protect the fabled Shangri-La in between two mountains in the Himalayas. Why one of the men is white and the other is a man with an antlered deer head and missing one eye is never explained. The human one saves a young girl from certain death after raiders burn down their village. His partner is not happy to have a human now in their realm as humans destroy
Mouse
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m gonna be honest, this book is frikkin weird! It’s sort of beautiful, thought provoking, and poignant though. The art is sort of cartoony, but it adds a bit of whimsy to it. It’s hard to know when things are getting serious, because at no point do you really feel anything bad is going to happen. Even the bad guys are just lame. It has a message though and I like the use of the word “illusion” in this. A strange, not entirely great, but definitely original and fun read.
Archaia is an
Dayna
The premise is really my thing so i enjoyed it quite well. The art and creatures are adorable. The plot, well, was simplistic and nothing much really happened. But it was a nice quick read.

Also the artist always draws expressions that look like the character is smiling when she really isn't, especially when she's in dangerous situations, eg in a burning house. It throws me off and bothers me. Bruh your art is amazing, I'm sure you can draw better mouths???

But yas good enjoyable read
Emily
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this graphic novel was fine. The artwork wasn't pretty, but I liked it well enough. The story was creative, but it seemed like it was trying too hard to say something. Rather than taking the time to really elaborate on the world, there were just a few pages where one character went around describing what all the creatures were. I think this story just wanted to be really deep and philosophical, but ended up just being kinda meh.
Lorelei
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was ok.
I think I liked the overall message of it more than the actual writing? I'm not entirely sure. There wasn't a lot of time to grow attached to the characters and it felt very black and white.
Also, I know every book has at least one typo, but when there's a few and it's a short graphic novel, it's way more noticeable.
Ryan Fohl
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really liked the art. Very cute main character. But the story was some Buddhist fairy tale crap that I couldn’t understand and got nothing from. Why do they need her to wear dresses and jewelry so badly?

What I learned: humans carry illusion in their hearts, but only humans can also defeat illusion? All the religions and spirituality are stupid.
Felicia
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quiet, lyrical story about the illusions we allow ourselves to believe and how it can hurt the people and the world around us. I hope there’s a continuation to this because this felt like the beginning to a much larger, longer story. I need to know what will happen to Vijaya when she eventually grows up. And what will happen to her two protectors.
❄Elsa Frost❄
I love graphic novels that have this particular flow. It felt so gentle and touching, both in the flow of its story and in the introduction of the fantasy genre. I just love the turns this graphic novel took, and the elements of fantasy it included. Definitely one of the best graphic novels I've ever read.
J. Muro
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hayao Miyazaki’s “Princess Mononoke” meets James Hilton’s “The Lost Horizon” (my fave book ever), with a splash of Buddhist and elemental wisdom/Magick. Spectacular and cute storyline! Quick drawn up art-style.
Child960801
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is a comic about a young girl who is taken in by two spirit beings in the Himalaya mountains into a magical sanctuary after her whole village is killed. The little creatures she meets there are cute and have unusual properties. A fun little story.
Hailey Chappell
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this - and I actually read it three more times before finally putting it down. It's just such an adorable art style as well as presenting an important life lesson about life and the balance we all can impact - positively or negatively.
Carla A
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Drawings are sweet but I had trouble grasping the point of the story or even the girl. I was looking forward to this but it seems like a mash up between something princess mononoke-ish and The Lost Horizon (well with only two humans but what ever - imagine). This one was not written for me.
Kend
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful graphic novel for younger readers, with real beauty and pith and heart to it. The art is distinctive and unusual, the plot is unique and compelling, and the characters are easy to access and relate to. I will happily re-read this one again.
Ashley Obenstine
This was so great and heart warming! I have such a soft spot for powerful beings taking care of kids (I don't even really like kids?) and the elementals in this story are so freaking cute. The storytelling in here was AMAZING and damn does Vignolli know how to make some charming ass characters.
Sharlene Robertson
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not like the book at all. I couldn’t get into it no matter how hard I tried.
Rachel Lipkin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Illustrations : 5 starts
Plot : 2 stars

There just wasn’t any substance
Maya Pandit
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best graphic novels explaining the humankind and its dangers to nature.
Kala
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Alison
Good action story about overcoming the darkness in society and maintaining balance

• Bury the Lede
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • Onibi : Carnets du Japon invisible
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)
  • Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Perséphone
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • Stargazing
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • No Ivy League