Start by marking “The Sun and Her Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Sun and Her Flowers

The Sun and Her Flowers

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  133,892 ratings  ·  10,129 reviews
From Rupi Kaur, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of milk and honey, comes her long-awaited second collection of poetry. A vibrant and transcendent journey about growth and healing. Ancestry and honoring one’s roots. Expatriation and rising up to find a home within yourself.

Divided into five chapters and illustrated by Kaur, the sun and her flowers is a journey of w
Published October 3rd 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sun and Her Flowers, please sign up.
Katie I do not exactly disagree with Cecelia. There were some themes in this book that were not addressed in "Milk and Honey", but personally, I still found…moreI do not exactly disagree with Cecelia. There were some themes in this book that were not addressed in "Milk and Honey", but personally, I still found them very similar. Both focus very much on love and abuse (in relationships), but this one's main theme seems to be self-growth (not necessarily connected to "overcoming" past abuse and trauma). So, yes, very similar, but not identical.(less)
Abi Jane In my opinion, probably late teens. There is quite a bit of mature content.

·  133,892 ratings  ·  10,129 reviews

Start your review of The Sun and Her Flowers
Megan Singh
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't know where to begin. Listen, as a brown woman of course I gave Rupi a try - that's what we brown girls do, we hold each other up and support each other like crazy because who else will? However, I think we should also be able to speak up when the work just doesn't cut it. Being critical is simply tough love - so don't be so quick to dismiss my negative feeback.

First of all, half of this book are one-liners from her first book, and most of her longer pieces felt lazy and ill-thought out.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Thank you so much to Indigo for surprising me with a copy of this!*

I never read Milk & Honey. It just seemed like such a fad thing, I had no interest in it. I tend to prefer traditional poetry. It's just my inner English major coming out I suppose! That being said, I enjoyed this more than I had expected. I didn't love the whole thing, but there were some poems that I really loved. The poetic style is quite simplistic and some quotes I felt like were reworded versions of things I've seen before
Julia Miller
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rupi, you have my heart ❤️ beautifully written and ohhh the art :‘)
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
This review was brought to you by the best Real Housewives gifs on giphy.com.

description

Let me start off by saying that I am not a fan of Rupi Kaur's milk and honey; HOWEVER, being the forgiving person that I am, I have decided to give her work a second chance.

Warning: The gifs you are about to see are real reactions to the poems I just read.

description

Alrighty, here we go:

i live for that first second in the morning
when i am still half-conscious
i hear the hummingbirds outside
flirting with the flowers
teach it
to grow
and inspire it
to love.

- how i feel about this book

JV (semi-hiatus)
Once, there were these poems,
Which my heart cannot fully bear.
Drivel — daft and dreary,
Perchance, all I can do is but stare.

Enjambments and aphorisms, likewise,
Have filled this book,
Hackneyed phrases — oh bloody hell,
Seems like gobbledygook!

Prithee, to thee, I say —
Analyse her poems first from within,
And compare its content
From Lord Byron's discipline:

"When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken-hearted
To sever for years,
Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour
April
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I hear a thousand kind words about me and it makes no difference yet I hear one insult and all confidence shatters - focusing on the negative.”

I've never related to written words as much as reading Rupi Kaur's books.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Wow!! That was intense, sad and good!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kai
Jul 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
god must have kneaded you and i
from the same dough
rolled us out on the baking sheet
must have suddenly realized
how unfair it was
to put that much magic in one person
and sadly split that dough in two
how else is it that
when i look in the mirror
i am looking at you
when you breathe
my own lungs fill with air
that we just met but we
have known each other our whole lives
if we were not made as one to begin with

our souls are mirrors - rupi kaur

Find more of my books on Instagram
Elyse  Walters
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful...
The range of emotions are all felt ... sadness, anger, loss, grief, pride, guilt, fear, nervousness, shame, joy, surprise, love ....

These stories/ poems are heartfelt...
rupi kaur is a lovely gift to the world.

“for so long i was lost in a place where there was no sun, where there grew no flowers. but something i loved would emerge and bring me to life again”.

I love “Milk and Honey”...
and I equally love “the sun and her flowers”. The one complaint is that I wanted to buy this book
Kate
think it's
somehow
groundbreaking

I don't get it.

I feel like a total ass for hating this book because she covers some very personal and traumatic topics, but to me it just reads like she's trying too hard to be profound because everyone lost their shit over her first book (which I didn't particularly like either, because it was basically a tumblr dashboard), so it was like she had to outdo herself. Like m&h, there
Esha
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
A good reader finishes a book before criticising it, but a good writer knows a book is trash a few pages in.
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Wow. Let me say I had low expectations going into this, but I was so wrong. Backstory: I'm not a fan of milk & honey. It's not a style I enjoy at all, and the entire book just felt too Tumblr and cheesy and simplistic. this blew me away. it's so different, fresh, and jaw-dropping.

it’s interesting to see how her writing has grown and evolved. there are very few short poems (unlike m&h), which i was thankful for, because in m&h it seemed like she would just write sentences with skips in i
C.G. Drews
It was really beautiful! Some of the poems SO stood out to me and I would love to read her first collection Milk and Honey now!! It's really empowering and beautiful about change and growing and healing.

this place makes me
nothing to do with sleep
and everything to do with the people around me
- introvert

representation
is vitual
otherwise the butterfly
surrounded by a group of moths
unable to see itself
will keep trying to become a moth
Nat
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This long-awaited second collection of poetry by Rupi Kaur made waves; it was a ride brimming with of every kind of emotion imaginable. Divided into five chapters and illustrated by Kaur, the sun and her flowers is a vibrant and transcendent journey about growth and healing. Ancestry and honoring one’s roots. Expatriation and rising up to find a home within yourself.

Kaur's voice is as audacious and brave as ever. She nails to perfection the specific intimate details that made her writing so achi
Marpapad
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to thank Jon(athan) Nakapalau for recommending this poetry collection to me. I have never read something similar before. The only part that I did not enjoy was the first one. In general, it was a nice experience, and I will probably read her other collection too. ...more
Kelli

sentences and
punctuation is equal
to
poetry

Some parts of this, like the things she wishes she could have told her mother on her wedding day and insights on immigration were thought provoking, but much of this felt like thoughts I’ve read many times elsewhere.

Here are three examples of that:

you do not just wake up and become the butterfly

the ri
Andreia ❤Chasing Butterflies❤
If you liked this, you may like Milk and Honey

☆it isn't what we left behind
that breaks me
it's whatever we could've built
had we stayed☆

♡♥they did not tell me it would hurt like this
no one warned me
about the heartbreak we experience with friends
it all ends the same
a friend or a lover
a loss is a loss is a loss
- the underrated heartache.♥♡

☆you do not just wake up and become the butterfly
- growth is a process.

★this place makes me
and everything to
Jon Nakapalau
Heart breaking yet empowering - a woman's journey of growth - (wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming) as she comes to terms with her past, present and future. As a man this book touched me because I never was aware of all the different ways we try to make women conform to 'our' idea of what they should be. If you have a friend trying to put their life back together after a break up this book will help them focus on the path they need to take.
Warda
[Edit: had to change my rating to 5 stars]

Rupi Kaur does it once again. Her poetry is blooming. Her words hit home as they always do. I mean, there's a reason why there's a surge in poetry books being sold now. She's the reason.

I love what she advocates in her poetry collections, what she stands for. How it is told in a format of stages, of growth. Following on from her previous collection (not that it is a sequel, but the format and themes are similar), the sun and her flowers is tackling the
may ❀
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Am I reading this book bc my reading challenge is getting a little out of control??? Psshshhhhh no, of course not why would you think something so preposterous ????

Anyways so I read Milk and Honey last year and I sorta loved it and when I HEARD there was another one I was like yes this woman can write gimme some more

And that’s what this book is
But its better than milk and honey imo

why is it
that when the story ends
we begin to feel all of it

the illustrations are ABSOLUTELY perfection, I love
Joce (squibblesreads)
Enjoyed this a lot. A few pieces really stood out to me, especially on the topic of being a WOC and immigration. Liked this more than MILK AND HONEY.
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2017
“You’re everywhere
Except right here
And it hurts.”
Rupi Kaur has again delivered a palpable collection of perspective on varying issues of significance that range from love to heartbreak and all the things in between. I leave this experience feeling grateful, beautiful, and incredibly empowered. I am in love with this woman's writing.

Note: There are a few repeated poems from Milk and Honey but much of this material felt very fresh.

My favorite quote: One of my many favorite poems:
i reduced my body to aesthetics
forgot the work it did to keep me a
Lou
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Loved that there were longer pieces in this one and that the book was thicker in general. Wonderful illustrations as always though I have to say that since she has used drawings that were quite similar to some in her first book, I kinda got confused and thought for a moment that she has reused some of her old poems too. (I hope I make sense). Definitely gonna keep this book on my nightstand 😊⭐️
may ➹
the lines of the poems were much longer than milk and honey’s
and the poems overall were longer
(sometimes too long)
which I greatly appreciated,
but I found it repetitive at times
and I didn’t know where it was all going.
I loved the talk of girl love & self love & representation & feminism & rape culture
and of course Rupi Kaur delivers it all in a beautiful choice of words
but something was missing for me.
something was lacking, some
magical
aspect that I found in milk and honey.
but it was still gorgeo
Lucy Langford
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5***

Rupi Kaur writes with such beauty, her poems go straight to the heart and invoke emotion.

It shows the journey of the ending of one relationship, solitude, to finding love again. Some of the poems were highly relatable whilst others were eye-opening.

Erin
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
it isn't what we left behind
that breaks me
it's what we could've built
had we stayed.

Grief, self abandoment, the bond between a child and her parents, girl power, and respecting the generations that came before are all themes of the second collection of poetry by Rupi Kaur. Recently I read the poet's debut collection Milk and Honey and I became spell bound by her writing.

this place makes me
nothing to do with sleep
and everything to do with
the people around me.
Sara Hunt
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read Milk and Honey so came to this book with no preconceived expectations. As a big fan of poetry I love to find new poets who inspire me and make me question my own view of the World. I enjoy reading poems that are hard hitting and don't shy away from the brutality of the World today. Rupi's poems in this her second book are written with love and from the heart. The offer a glimpse into the life Rupi has lead and the trials and tribulations she has gone through to get where she is tod ...more
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
4.25 STARS!!!!

“I hear a thousand kind words about me and it makes no difference yet I hear one insult and all confidence shatters - focusing on the negative."

This quote was like a punch in a gut. I felt guilt, shame, and realization when I read it because honestly, I am like that.

Rupi Kaur did it again. Her brutally honest poems stirred up something inside me. A year ago, I read milk and honey and I was quite surprised of how personal, vulgar and relatable it was. But this book? I personall
Book Review: The Sun and Her Flowers 1 19 Aug 13, 2019 10:51PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 3 May 12, 2019 07:29PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 Apr 26, 2019 11:54AM
The Perks Of Bein...: The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur - April 2019 4 83 Apr 22, 2019 09:29AM
Never ending book...: The Sun and Her Flowers - Rupi Kaur 1 3 Apr 03, 2019 05:18PM
أفضل محل ورد الياسمين في الرياض 1 5 Jan 18, 2019 11:34PM

• The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • Love Her Wild
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
  • Love & Misadventure
  • Lullabies
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Leaves of Grass
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • The Universe of Us
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Salt
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • Depression & Other Magic Tricks
Rupi Kaur is a writer and artist based in Toronto, Canada. With a focus in poetry, she released her first book of prose and poems in November 2014. Throughout her poetry, photography, illustrations, and creative direction she engages with themes of femininity, love, loss, trauma, and healing. When she is not writing or creating art, she is travelling internationally to perform her spoken word poet ...more

Articles featuring this book

“why is it
that when the story ends
we begin to feel all of it”
253 likes
“a lot of times
we are angry at other people
for not doing what
we should have done for ourselves

- responsibility”