Start by marking “Walden of Bermondsey” as Want to Read:
Walden of Bermondsey

Walden of Bermondsey

When Charlie Walden takes on the job of Resident Judge of the Bermondsey Crown Court, he is hoping for a quieter life. But he soon finds himself struggling to keep the peace between three feisty fellow judges who have very different views about how to do their jobs, and about how Charlie should do his. And as if that’s not enough, there’s the endless battle against the "Gr ...more
Published June 1st 2018 by No Exit

To ask other readers questions about Walden of Bermondsey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walden of Bermondsey

Susan Hampson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
I originally read the sample story from this book which is a separate download and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have seen gone on to read the full book now. I got quite a feel for Walden in the first story and must say the rest of this book has been a treat. There are six stories in total so they can be broken down to manageable read in one session stories.
I loved reading about not only the cases but the ins and outs of how the court worked, and on occasion the mischief and deals that were got up to
Abraham Mashood
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Few books truly deserve the moniker “unputdownable”, but this is undoubtedly one of them. What an absolute pleasure to read! Beg, borrow, steal (or else just buy if you don’t fancy a 10am appointment at your local magistrate’s), whatever you do, READ IT!
Stephanie Matthews
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you know what? This wasn't half bad. It was a little repetitive - using the same phrase to refer to lunch breaks EVERY SINGLE TIME - but the stories were well written, engaging and very clever. It's also very realistic, the struggles of time, resources and banging your head against the wall will be familiar to anyone who works in that arena, at any level. That said, it's human, funny and I have no problem with recommending it.

For once the blurb was right. If you liked Rumpole of the Bailey (
Cheryl M-M
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Think Judge Deed, with less moral constipation, with a flair of Kavanaugh QC and a smidgen of Rumpole of the Bailey. Walden of Bermondsey is the legal procedural equivalent of a cosy mystery.

I was highly amused by the way Charlie Walden kept referring to his wife as the Reverend. Their relationship is well-balanced, and she is the Tuppence to his Tommy. His hands are bound when he learns facts which could influence the outcome of a case he is presiding over, however legally he is not in a positi
Verity W
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lot of fun. A fictional look inside the English (and yes, English, not Scottish - rules are different there!) courts system through the eyes of one of the judges. Charlie is in charge of his court - and it's motley band of judges, ushers, canteen staff and all - and waged in a constant battle against the bureaucracy of the judicial system - the Grey Smoothies - as well as dealing out justice. The book is a series of different cases from his work load and it made me laugh out loud more ...more
Gareth Evans
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently read the second in this series (I do hope there are going to more than two), and thoroughly enjoyed it. This book, the first, is equally as enjoyable. Both books are sold, old-fashioned story-telling. There is certainly a distinct, but not overwhelming, bouquet of Rumpole (cheroots and chateau Thames embankment perhaps?), a hint of very gentle Ealing comedy and a good dose of A J Cronin. Very satisfying
Clive Bevitt
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting long time for a worthy successor to Rumpole and in Charles Walpole I think I may have found him. Really enjoyable short tales based around the cases of a judge, whilst maybe not quite up to the very high standards of John Mortimer at his best not very far away. I am looking forward to the next instalment.
Ron Ede
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing

Brought back memories of practice at the independent bar and as a Crown Advocate. An amusing book written with both intelligence and humour.
Roger Neilson
An easy, entertaining read. Love the Grey Smoothies!
Mr Paul J Mason
May 27, 2019
Vic
Jun 14, 2019
james Mullooly
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2018
Sep 15, 2018
Barbara Mayers
Feb 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Peter Murphy's first novel John the Revelator was nominated for the 2011 IMPAC literary award, shortlisted for the 2009 Costa Book Awards and the Kerry Group Fiction prize. His second novel, Shall We Gather at the River, is published as The River and Enoch O’Reilly in the US.

Peter’s journalism has been published