Start by marking “Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz” as Want to Read:
Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz

Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz

Of the 25,000 known species of bee worldwide, only seven species are honeybees. Bees and plants have a sophisticated and delicate symbiosis. In recent years, the shrinking of green spaces has endangered the honeybee. Now Planting for Honeybees shows you how you can help these delightful pollinators to flourish by creating a garden as habitat for them. No matter how small o ...more
Published March 20th 2018 by Quadrille Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Planting for Honeybees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting for Honeybees

Start your review of Planting for Honeybees: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Buzz
Coriander
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beautifully illustrated but really just a list of plants to plant, not a lot about bees, or much detail about gardening or tips on how to get these plants to grow. Which is something I've had trouble with; honestly I was hoping for a lot more information. I knew some of the information presented already. I wish the author would have shared more about herself and the experiences that lead her to write this book. Some pages were literally just plant names, no summaries, characteristics or the idea ...more
Omelia Legg
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book 😍 Anyone who loves bees and has a garden should pick this up and have a read. It follows all the seasons and things to plant no matter what kind of outdoor space you have (and it's just so pretty). This is going on my Christmas list for sure. ...more
Steve
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great introduction into what to plant in your garden that will attract and sustain honeybees. This book touched on how honeybees make honey, use pollen and maintain a colony as well as the flowers and plants that they prefer. As an amateur beekeeper I found the book contained a lot of information that I already knew but also a good share of useful facts I didn’t know. This book is a perfect primer for those interested in helping out our essential honeybees!
Becki
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Cute and very informative!
Jessica
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beekeeping, gardening
This is a very easy to read guide for planting for honeybees. The author talks about why planting for honeybees is important, the history of humans and honeybees, what bees get from these plants, recommended plants, facts about honeybees, and further resources. I really like that in the chapter on "planting recommendations" she breaks it down from windowsill gardens, patios, and all the way to large gardens. She even covers rooftop gardens and "living walls." She also then further breaks down th ...more
Mmfniteowl
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful little book that gives interesting details about honeybees, hives and making of honey. Also, the best plants for various places. Lots of delightful illustrations in this book.
Why do bee hives emit the hum we hear in a summer hive? Nectar brought into the hive contains up to 80% water. To prevent fermentation and create honey stores receiver bees need to work to evaporate the water. These bees bring up a drop of nectar from their honey sacs and then roll in in their mouths so that nect
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful little book that’s fun to read. Each chapter is proceeded by colorful, illustrated changeover pages pertaining to its subject matter and the illustrations throughout are gorgeous and made for a joyful reading experience. It’s well-organized with brief, straightforward chapters that provide a solid overview of the basics around how bees forage and planting to sustain bees. Included are plant suggestions for different sized/types of gardens, organized by bloom season; a top 10 list of pl ...more
Amy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This UK-centric book is a relatively quick read but a good introduction to planting to attract honeybees. Lots of great resources for those based in the U.K. in the end matter. As a US person I still got a lot of good info, which was delivered in an easy conversational style, accompanied by absolutely gorgeous illustrations by James Weston Lewis. It’s the kind of book I’d like to add to my collection if only because it’s so pretty.
Jenny Garrison-Harrison
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book. I purchased it to learn more about planting to encourage honeybees around our area. Instead i found myself fascinated with honeybees. It was easy to understand. I will bring it with me to the garden shop. It’s also one of those pretty books that would look beautiful anywhere in your home.
Jasmin
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very beautifully illustrated and contains a huge list of plants for bees. I liked the different options depending on the space you have to plant things on. But sadly some of the suggestions are invasive plants which are really bad for a healthy biodiversity. So please research the plants before buying them. They might be good for the bees but terrible for the environment in general.
Meredith
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple, easy, and quick read! She does a great job of break things down to the basics, and explains hiw anyone can plant just a little bit to help honey bees. Perfect for beginners just wanting to explore the topic a bit, yet still provides resources that if one becomes interested, they can pursue the topic further!
Jordan Konkler
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2020reads
I definitely enjoy short little books like this one: detailed and easy to read! I especially enjoyed the facts this book had to offer :) I tend to be scared of bees, but this book helped me feel a bit less scared and more inclined to help the bees when they are drowning in our pool. Save the bees!
Miranda
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent AND beautiful overview/reference book to guide you in choosing bee-friendly plants. I learned so much! Like that bee’s see the blue end of the light spectrum best, so color of flowers is important. The illustrations are so cute, I would purchase prints of them! Very easy to read.
Anita
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
British-based, but v. much enjoyed.
Amanda
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicely put together. I thought the way they divided the plants into types of gardens and times of year was helpful! I’ll be using this as a resource to set up a garden at my new place!
Rachelle
Loved this darling of a book. Colorful images and great tips for gardens of all sizes. Save the bees! Plant for pollinators :)
Brian Byrd
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet little book. Quick read, easy reference, beautiful cover.
Grace
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quick easy read and a book I will keep with me. It is a great reference for planting design, a good history lesson on the evolution of honeybees, and even some science behind their incredible lives!
Glen
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, green
Beautiful illustrations
Nathan Brant
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great first book when considering plantings for honeybees.
Chloe Hooper
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice little read with some good ideas for planting for bees. I borrowed from the library but would be a good one to have on the bookshelf.
Callista
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
important, concise, and cute.
Judy
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
We all could use some ideas for attracting honeybees. And who can resist such a pretty cover. Love this!
Danielle
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Sting in the Tale: My Adventures with Bumblebees
  • The Garden Jungle: or Gardening to Save the Planet
  • Planting for Butterflies: The Grower's Guide to Creating a Flutter
  • Jack Frost: The End Becomes the Beginning (The Guardians, #5)
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams (The Guardians, #4)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3)
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! (The Guardians, #2)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Cold Storage
  • Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians, #1)
  • Arthur's Halloween
  • What It's Like to Be a Bird: From Flying to Nesting, Eating to Singing—What Birds Are Doing, and Why
  • Gardening for Butterflies: How You Can Attract and Protect Beautiful, Beneficial Insects
  • California Bees & Blooms: A Guide for Gardeners and Naturalists
  • Field Guide to the Slug
  • Sweetness and Lightning, Vol. 8
  • Badass Habits: Cultivate the Awareness, Boundaries, and Daily Upgrades You Need to Make Them Stick
  • She Speaks: The Power of Women's Voices