Start by marking “The Masterpiece” as Want to Read:
The Masterpiece

The Masterpiece

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  21,409 ratings  ·  1,975 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Francine Rivers returns to her romance roots with this unexpected and redemptive love story, a probing tale that reminds us that mercy can shape even the most broken among us into an imperfect yet stunning masterpiece.

A successful LA artist, Roman Velasco appears to have everything he could possibly want―money, women, fame. Only Grace Moor
Published February 6th 2018 by Tyndale House Publisher (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Masterpiece, please sign up.
Marida Gaye Volstad How God can and does work all things together for good to those that are called according to His purpose. Even those things that we’d rather keep hidd…moreHow God can and does work all things together for good to those that are called according to His purpose. Even those things that we’d rather keep hidden and never bring out in the light of day.(less)
Dina Koble It was definitely written to be "done." I did wonder, however, if there would be any spin off novels with any of the other characters as the lead role…moreIt was definitely written to be "done." I did wonder, however, if there would be any spin off novels with any of the other characters as the lead roles. (less)

·  21,409 ratings  ·  1,975 reviews

Start your review of The Masterpiece
*TANYA*
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to rant and rave about how fantastic this book is, but the right words fail me. It was endearing, realistic, sweet, heart wrenching, and so emotional. Truly a masterpiece, best book I’ve read all year.
Nicole Burrell
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Boys meets girl. They fall in love and live happily ever after. So simple, right? Not if Francine Rivers has anything to say about it!

For years, Rivers has faithfully produced stories that tug at our heartstrings...works like “A Voice in the Wind” and “When the Shofar Blew”. Most recently, “A Bridge to Haven”. Now, in her book that is set to release in January 2018, she is back and yes, still producing love stories that are both agonizing and glorious.

“The Masterpiece” follows two main character
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago
(Ephesians 2:10).

Topanga Canyon

First Sentence: Roman Velasco climbed the fire escape and swung over the wall onto the flat roof.

I'm always in awe when I see how God use different types of media and experiences to teach us and show us what He wants from us.
Over the years, I've experienced this a lot with most of the books by Francine Rivers.
The Masterpiece is no different - showing God
Jamie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2.5
While I really did want to love Francine River’s latest, like I have so many of her other books, this one fell flat for me. I was intrigued by the idea and the characters, but there were a few other things that made it hard for me to love this one.

I thought there were some unnecessary stereotypes with some of the characters and I also wanted her friends to be a bit more than they were. Some were one dimensional and with others, their actions were a bit confusing. Not that characters need to
Robin Hatcher
I wish I could give this book a higher rating than 5 stars. It's amazing. My heart was broken and stirred so many times throughout my reading. I was reminded again and again of the ways God has moved in my life. I read as fast as possible to reach the end, and now I am already missing Roman and Grace. Thanks, Francine, for such a beautiful story of love and God's amazing grace.
Amanda Geaney
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Thank you to Tyndale Publishing for their kindness in allowing me to read and review an advanced copy of The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers.

Francine Rivers is a legend in Women's Christian Fiction. Her book Redeeming Love is among my favorite reads of all-time. She has an exquisite way of writing unconditional love and making readers feel her words. I knew many book lovers were anticipating this book and I was eager to get my hands on it like everyone else! It felt like Divine Intervention when
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am still in a book fog after reading The Masterpiece.

It was such a moving love story and Rivers has really done her research on art part of the book. She tells about that at the end of the book. The characters were strong and the storyline remarkable. I loved the way it all turns out, I was on the fence for a while.

I challenge you to put this down once you start reading it. I think it will be one you read without realizing you have read the book in one evening.

Rivers has done it again another
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I've only read Redeeming Love and the Marta's Legacy books by Ms. Rivers. Her work is amazing with those books. They have all the feels within them and just make you want to come back for more. So, when I saw she was releasing The Masterpiece, I didn't pass on it. I was anxious to be taken to a writing style that only Ms. Rivers knows how to do. I was absolutely pleased with all that I felt with this book!

This book has amazing characters. Roman and Grace are created with such depth and complexi
Maddy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was beautiful.
Staci
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I was hesitant to read The Masterpiece after being disappointed in A Bridge to Haven. I have very much enjoyed Francine River’s other novels so decided to try her latest release.

The story of two adults from difficult childhoods was certainly compelling. I felt my heart breaking for both Roman and Grace. It’s a beautiful story of character and spiritual development.

I didn’t warm up to Aunt Elizabeth despite knowing why she behaved the way she did. I am thankful for people such as Chet, Brian and
Melissa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars--Top Pick
The long wait between Francine Rivers' novels is well worth it when the final page of this book is turned. Richly detailed characters with traumatic pasts are woven together with Biblical truths and redemptive themes. On the surface, this seems like a very basic romance, but when the layers are peeled back, each of the characters' choices in the past and present are thoughtfully explored. As Roman and Grace learn about each other, the reader, too, learns about them as glimpses
Elizabeth
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nope. Can’t do it. Francine Rivers used to be the only Christian fiction writer I could tolerate (LOVED her Mark of the Lion series) but I haven’t enjoyed her last few books and this one is no exception. Firstly, it’s ridiculously predictable. Troubled unbeliever artist with a past falls for mostly-good girl Christian after not liking each other to start with. Of course, he’s hot and she’s gorgeous. Secondly, the story falls into typical Christian fiction stereotypes, in particular, the obligato ...more
bella farren
Dec 25, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
dnf'd @ 20%

This, unfortunately, was one of the worst books I have attempted to read in a long time. Within the first few chapters I was already battling against myself to keep listening, so I picked up the physical book which did not help the situation. By 12% I was hanging on by a thread, I wanted to finish this book so I could actually rate it the 1 star it deserved.

BUT . . .

As you can obviously see, I didn't make it through, so there will be no rating so I don't get hate comments about ratin
Heather
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Stefanie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First word that comes to my mind? Wow!
Francine Rivers has always been a favorite of mine. The Atonement Child and Redeeming Love two of my absolute favorites from her. The Masterpiece though... it has snuck up to the top and settled in my heart as one of her best, if not the best I’ve read by her. And this is coming from the girl that never thought she’d top Redeeming Love.
The Masterpiece is a beautifully woven story of redemption. Roman and Grace, both from childhood backgrounds or devastation,
Brittany
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading quite a few rave reviews about The Masterpiece, I decided to request it at my local library and give it a go. I am so glad that I did! This book was really large physically and was actually quite a long story at 484 pages in my library copy. Well, I devoured it in one weekend! I could not stop reading Roman and Grace’s story.

I was captivated by these characters. They had been through so much in their tragic pasts. I was equally enthralled with both the flashbacks and with the prese
Dana Michael
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
500 Pages of a Masterpiece

Wow! I am speechless. I have no words to describe how I feel. I just finished this amazing book and can say this is one of the best books I have ever read. I never once wanted to put this book down. I was hooked from page one. This story tells of two people who are starved for love. One a former street hardened gang tagger and one a beautiful, sweet, single mom. I loved the story line and I loved the ending. This is another beautifully God inspired work by Mrs. Rivers.
Linda Klager
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! Francine Rivers is an excellent writer. The cover of the book was very intriguing to me. In the back of the book is an explanation of how this cover came to be.

The events in this story were very current to the times today. The two main characters, Roman and Grace had so many obstacles in their lives.

Even though I suspected it, I learned how dangerous a life can be when influenced by a gang. Also, how dangerous and deadly it is to take drugs. Roman was exposed to these bad
Hayden L
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
1st half, 1 star. 2nd half, 2.5 stars
I am not necessarily a Francine Rivers fan so I am in the minority here. I have only read one other book (Redeeming Love, 4 stars), but after this PG soap opera, I may not pick up any of her titles ever again. The melodramatic style is not for me. Some major turn-offs include Grace's stereotypical band of single girlfriends, I hope I don't interject 'Girl..' into my sentences this frequently. What modern Christian young woman has actual pictures portraying Je
Ellen B.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must confess, I was a little bit apprehensive about reading this book once I found out the author was a born again Christian. After the first 30 pages I was sucked in. The main characters are so well developed and their stories compelling. I couldn’t put the book down. The religious stuff gets heavier in the last 100 pages but for a non Christian it was interesting to see the strength of “believers”
Jerry
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me a while to read...but it was worth it! A touching story of overcoming adversity.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 wonderful stars for this one! It’s been 4 yrs since I’ve read a Francine Rivers novel and I have really missed her writing. This was sooooo good.

I felt like she was telling my story. My childhood was filled with drugs, alcohol, physical and mental abuse. My testimony was similar in so many ways. I was a runaway teenager living in LA with a stripper when I finally said yes to Christ.

If you love the Lord and live in grace, then you’ll love this story as much as I do. The romance and character
Doretha
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I translated this book into Afrikaans and what a privilege it has been. Another fantastic book by one of my favorite authors. Loved the honesty of the characters' struggles and seeing that dependence on God alone will always lead to the blessings He has for us.
LaMesha
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a solid 4 star read for me until I read the "Note from the Author". Soooo beautiful. Her words resignated with me. After she broke down the true meaning of the novel, I then realized that it is indeed a "Masterpiece ".
Carla Corinne
Not my favorite Francine Rivers book. And maybe it's not entirely the books fault. I would categorize this book as a romance, and I'm not usually into romances. Not enough of an interesting plot for me.

This is the story of Roman Velasco, a temperamental bad-boy artist with a tragic history, who was able to rise up from his life of foster homes and graffiti art on the streets to become a successful and famous, though rather quirky, muralist.

Enter Grace Moore, his new personal assistant. A Chris
Carrie Turansky
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of The Materpiece and I truly enjoyed the story. Francine Rivers did an excellent job creating the characters and designing plot as well as weaving in a very meaningful spiritual message. Very well done and highly recommended.
Jill Williamson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never picked up a book I knew absolutely nothing about and read it, but The Masterpiece was a pick from a book club I'm in and my friend loaned me her copy. When I finally picked it up to start reading, I thought, "I'm not going to read the flap. I don't want to know what this book is about. I'm going to be surprised."

And I was.

The story is about two people: an artist named Roman Velasco and Grace, the woman he hires as his personal assistant. Roman rubs Grace the wrong way from the start,
Martha
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book last Friday and I cannot stop thinking about it. In fact, I have likely referenced it several times this last week.
The storyline, while nothing unique, brings completely flawed characters that judge one another as being something they are not in the beginning.
I loved seeing the journey of the raw characters, woven throughout the story, while still leaving you with a few unanswered questions, just as life tends to do.
I am not an artist, have never really gotten the appeal of t
Vannetta Chapman
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is only my second book to read by Francine Rivers. I very much enjoyed the unique story line. Interestingly enough, it was the back story of the hero that I found most compelling. I also liked how the problems weren't resolved instantly--both characters were a "work in progress," and change was something that took time.

At 512 pages in the hardcover edition, I felt the story was repetitious in places, which is my reason for a 4 instead of a 5. Impatient readers may skip a few scenes that the

• Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul
  • Send Down the Rain
  • If I Run (If I Run, #1)
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • If I Live (If I Run, #3)
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • Becoming Mrs. Lewis
  • Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
  • Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
  • The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
  • One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  • The View from Rainshadow Bay (Lavender Tides, #1)
  • Remember (Redemption, #2)
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • Land of Silence
New York Times bestselling author Francine Rivers continues to win both industry acclaim and reader loyalty around the globe. Her numerous bestsellers include Redeeming Love, A Voice in the Wind, and Bridge to Haven, and her work has been translated into more than thirty different languages. She is a member of Romance Writers of America's coveted Hall of Fame as well as a recipient of the Lifetime ...more