Start by marking “A Map of the Dark (The Searchers #1)” as Want to Read:
A Map of the Dark (The Searchers #1)

A Map of the Dark

(The Searchers #1)

A girl, missing
A woman, searching
A killer, planning...

FBI Agent Elsa Myers finds missing people.
She knows how it feels to be lost...

Though her father lies dying in a hospital north of New York City, Elsa cannot refuse a call for help. A teenage girl has gone missing from Forest Hills, Queens, and during the critical first hours of the case, a series of false leads hides th
Published January 2nd 2018 by Mulholland Books

Maureen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
* 3.5 STARS* Thank you to www.shotsmag.co.uk for my paperback copy in exchange for an honest review*

A Map of the Dark introduces us to FBI agent Elsa Myers, and to what appears to be the first in a new police procedural series.
Elsa is at the bedside of her terminally ill father, when she gets a call to assist NYPD Detective Lex Cole. Cole has specifically requested Elsa's help on a missing teen case, because she has an excellent track record within the Child Abduction rapid response team.
Elsa h
Diane S ☔
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A new series, the introduction of a new character, Elsa, an FBI agent who had a very difficult and abusive past, and is dealing with an impending sorrow in the present. Young women are going missing, and it is up to Elsa, and the young policemen who asked for her assistance, to find them.

So far, so good, Elsa is an interesting character, Lex her police counterpoint on this, grows on one and cements the deal by books end. For me though, the back story of Elsa quite overtook the case of the missin
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I was lost in the dark shadowy barren coulee with one of my Traveling Sisters reading The Map of the Dark trying to find cover from the demons haunting our main character FBI Agent Elsa Myers.

Map of the Dark is a police procedural with a strong well-drawn character here with Elsa who really stood out for us. Karen Ellis does a good job creating an interesting and complex character with Elsa Myers. We settled in with our books and soon were taken on a race against time with Elsa as she
marilyn
FBI Agent Elsa Myers has a lot on her plate at the moment. Her dad is dying and she really should take a leave of absence to be with him but her mind is too full of the past and she isn't sure she can handle just sitting by his bedside. She has been requested by a young detective anyway, to assist him with an active missing teenager case so she throws herself into that investigation while dropping at the hospital as much as she can.

Elsa's dad has just sold her childhood house and that house is
Monica
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dark, gripping mystery with great characters! *Trigger warnings: child neglect, abuse, and self-harm.

This book did a better job than most crime stories making the detectives into “real” people. A lot focused on Elsa’s past and I appreciated getting the insight into how her personality developed. At the surface, she seems introverted and callous. I realized there were a multitude of events from her childhood that effected her career and entire adult life.

Overall this was a fantastic, well-written
Liz Barnsley
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A damn fine start to a new procedural series featuring an FBI Agent on the Child Abduction rapid response team. Cleverly intriguing main protagonist hiding dark secrets, excellent back up cast. creepy and atmospheric mystery element. One I'll be following along with.

Full review as one of my "Ones to Watch in 2018" soon.
Bark
This is a classic three star read for me. It's a thriller about a missing teenager and Elsa, the FBI agent who is assigned to the case. It was decent, it wasn't boring but it also wasn't super compelling. I guessed one turn of events early on and that made me sad and tells me either the plotting could've been better OR I've finally reached the point where I've read enough of these that I can now figure things out (that is probably not the case, haha). There was a nifty dark twist at the end that ...more
Selena
I received a free e-copy of A Map of the Dark (Searchers, #1) by Karen Ellis from NetGalley for my honest review.

Seventeen year old Ruby Haverstock disappears on her way home from her after-school job in Queens, New York. The investigation is assigned to FBI special agent Elsa Myers. Elsa specifically finds missing children and she is darn good at it. Unfortunately, Elsa is also dealing with her father's failing health.

While Elsa investigates to find Ruby alive, her attention isn't completely f
Mackey
This is a great start to a terrific new series.
Louise Wilson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
FBI Agent Elsa Myers finds missing people. She knows how it feels to be lost. Though her father lies dying in hospital, Elsa can not refuse a call for help. A teenage girl has gone missing from Forest Hills, Queens. As the hunt for Ruby deepens into a search for a man who may have been killing for years, the case starts to get underneath Elsa's skin.

This is another book that features multiple points of view. It also tells about both the past and the present . Although the book is well written. I
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first book in a new series featuring FBI Agent Elsa Myers.

The story flicks between modern day as well as to Elsa’s past and the troubled relationship that Elsa has with her mother. I have to admit, it does make for some uncomfortable reading and my heart really went out to Elsa as she is quite a troubled soul.

I loved the balance of getting to know who Elsa is and about her past as well as the case she finds herself working on. It is very well laid out so that we really get a feel for
Juli
FBI Special Agent Elsa Myers is very good at her job, but she doesn't know how to deal with her father slowly dying from cancer and demons from her past. She could take time off from work to spend more time with her dad at the hospital, but she knows working is the only way she can cope. It keeps her from dwelling on her memories. She is called to assist on a case. A teenage girl is missing. Elsa pushes her personal life to the side, intent on finding the missing girl before it's too late.

At fi
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Map of the Dark is a fiercely compulsive read. I sat down to start it, and before I even realised it, I was over halfway through. I just couldn’t put it down. I’m a huge fan of American-based crime thrillers, especially when they have a great cast of characters and an intriguing plot. That is exactly why I loved this one. It had everything I look for, as well as a few surprises.

Elsa Myers is a FBI agent, tasked with investigating the disappearance of a teenage girl in Queens. Torn between sitt
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new series and a new feisty female protagonist, perfect to kick off the new year! Introducing FBI agent Elsa Myers, who is part of the child abduction, rapid deployment division.
This novel does read like an episode of criminal minds. But as always, the author has cleverly woven a secret into the novel, which slowly unravels.

The prologue opens with a kidnapping, so the reader is left in no disillusion about the central plot of this novel. A missing teenage girl and a devastated family!
Elsa is
Joanne Robertson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I received my copy of A Map of the Dark I was intrigued as the dark cover suggested the sort of gripping crime thriller that I usually devour but I hadn’t ever heard of Karen Ellis before. So imagine my surprise and delight when upon reading the inside of the cover, I realised that Karen Ellis is a pseudonym used by Katia Lief! “Who?” some asked when I started to jump up and down with excitement on social media but I soon explained that I am A HUGE fan of Katia Lief and have been for a very ...more
Crime by the Book
**DNF** I just couldn’t get into this book, and I don’t want to force myself. There’s nothing glaringly “wrong” with it, I just found it.... slow. I gave it nearly 75 pages but I wasn’t finding myself invested in the characters or the plot - I had that feeling that I had to force myself to keep reading, which is no fun. So I’m just going to set this one aside.
Trisha
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
"How can you make sense of a person who confuses suffering and love, with such devastating results?"

This was absolutely phenomenal. It's a deeply moving story about a very good FBI agent named Elsa. She is the lead expert on finding kids - ones that go missing with no leads, no information and no explanation. She gets into the mind of the kids, the stalker and she finds them. But she's haunted. Being present for so many parents pain of having their children missing is draining for her.

She is al
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review is also part of the blog tour for A map of the Dark.

The book’s title A Map of the Dark immediately reminded me of the classic Iron Maiden tune Fear of the Dark:

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark,
I have a constant fear that something’s always near,
Fear of the dark, fear of th
Bam
I was fortunate enough to receive an ebook copy of this book, which is the first in The Searchers series, from the publisher via NetGalley while they are promoting the publication of book two: Last Night. Many thanks for a good read!

A Map of the Dark introduces Special Agent Elsa Myers of the FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment division. Elsa is requested to look into the case of a missing teen named Ruby Haverstock from Queens, NY, who disappeared one night while leaving her job at a local ca
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Marketed for fans of Karin Slaughter and Tess Gerritsen (two of my favourite authors), I was incredibly excited to read A Map of the Dark by Karen Ellis. Unfortunately, with the comparison to these thriller powerhouse authors, I was expecting graphic suspense and “on the edge of your seat” pacing. This novel had neither of these things.

The novel, the first in a new series, introduces us to FBI Agent Elsa Myers- a woman who specializes in child abduction cases and has a past full of demons. When
The Book Review Café
Review to follow
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Karen Ellis, pseudonym of author Katia Lief, releases a thriller mystery tale focused on a special agent with a disturbing past and a kidnapping of a teenager. One part police procedural and one part thriller, A Map of the Dark is a fast-paced story that delivers an emotionally-charged and highly personal hunt.

Elsa Myers is not your typical FBI agent. While her father is hospitalized with an illness that seeks to steal his life, she is assigned
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
The first in a new series, we get introduced to Elsa Myers. FBI Agent who is put on a child abduction case all while dealing with her dying father which is trudging up memories of her traumatic childhood. As each day passes without finding this young girl, her memories start to infiltrate her mind more and old habits of coping come to the surface again.

I'll be honest, I had a little bit of a hard time getting through the first third of the book. I wanted to put it down several times and contemp
Joanna Park
A Map Of The Dark is an unusual psychological thriller as it doesn’t just focus on the kidnapping and the fate of the victim.  Instead there is a lot of character development, particularly in the first half of the book.  We learn more about Eliza’s past in particular her childhood which was quite traumatic at times and the fraught relationship she had with her mother.  This is done in a series of flashback which is interspersed with chapters regarding the ongoing investigation and are quite harr ...more
Alyssa Marie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, arcs, thriller
Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I liked the storyline and the police procedural aspect of the plot. The writing was of good quality, but I just had a hard time with the narration style and didn't understand certain aspects that the author was trying to convey. I found it difficult to focus on the main plot because of the backstory of the main character, Elsa. It was so distracting, and I didn't see a connection between the two that I'm used to reading.

I didn't feel that the teenagers
Jannelies
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
Thanks Netgalley for this book.

Sometimes you find, amidst all the 'new and wonderful series' a book that marks the start of a series you think you will really like. This is such a book. Elsa Meyers is a complex person with a complex background, and the story is sometimes quite complex too.
It is very well written in a clear style, and besides the fact that it is a good book, it gives you food for thought.
Sometimes it even brought a tear to my eyes. And it is not every day that I read a book that
Lou
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
“Her name’s Ruby Haverstock. She’s seventeen, almost eighteen, and her parents haven’t heard from her since Friday night. She went to her job at a local café, left work on time, and that was that.”
As the excerpt says this looks as an ordinary missing girl case for this new series featuring a female lead character, an FBI agent, Elsa Myers, but there are other complexities, other darkness indoors waiting to lurk its head out, other truths that wait and you feel the intensity at times of something
Sherri Thacker
A quick read. Just ok. Nothing great.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cjsreads
A big thank you to Mulholland Books for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review!

Not going to lie, this cover is what drew me to this book. I saw that it was a police procedural and a mystery thriller, so that was all I needed to know before diving in! A MAP OF THE DARK by Karen Ellis as an eerie atmosphere about it and I really enjoyed that, plus it's book one of a new crime series!

"A girl, missing. A woman, searching. A killer, planning"

Elsa Myers is an FBI Agent that specializes in
Claire Kittridge
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Loved this! A map of the Dark has a super lead character (FBI Special Agent Elsa Elsa Myers) who harnesses her own demons in order to help solve the case of three missing girls. I couldn't get up from my chair until I'd read it all! The writing is more introspcective than most popular thrillers, so be prepared to take a little time for the story to get rolling - but it's well worth the effort. Five stars, all the way.

• Dead Red (Raymond Donne Mystery #3)
  • Half-Past Dawn
  • Death Money (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #4)
  • Idyll Threats (Thomas Lynch #1)
  • Wanted
  • Marked (Callum Doyle, #3)
  • The Hollow Girl (Moe Prager, #9)
  • The Disappearing
  • The Long Count (John Q, #1)
  • Ragged Lake (Frank Yakabuski, #1)
  • City of Lies
  • The Ghost Downstairs
  • The One That Got Away
  • Fateful Mornings (Henry Farrell, #2)
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • Long Way Down (Jason Stafford, #3)
  • The Damage Done (Lily Moore Mystery, #1)
  • Darkhouse
Karen Ellis is a pseudonym of author Katia Lief. She is a member of Mystery Writers of America, International Thriller Writers and The Authors Guild. She lives with her family in Brooklyn, NY.

The Searchers (2 books)
  • Last Night (The Searchers, #2)
“Despite popular belief, she feels that there’s something elementally optimistic about teenagers, the way their bodies can operate as adults’ while their minds still have a direct line into the good kind of wishful thinking, when you don’t question the gumption of racing forward into life.” 0 likes
“The things we don’t see that we don’t want to see. The things we do see that aren’t there. The things we miss simply because we aren’t looking.” 0 likes