Start by marking “All-New Wolverine, Volume 5: Orphans of X” as Want to Read:
All-New Wolverine, Volume 5: Orphans of X

All-New Wolverine, Volume 5: Orphans of X

(All-New Wolverine (Collected Editions) #5)

Daken has been kidnapped, and it's up to Wolverine to find him. But when his trail brings her back to the Facility, the place that tortured and created her, what new horrors will Laura find cooking there? Who, exactly, are the Orphans of X? How are they connected to the Wolverine? And what do they know about Laura and her past?

Collects: All-New Wolverine #25-30
Published February 27th 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about All-New Wolverine, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All-New Wolverine, Volume 5

Sam Quixote
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Lost a loved one to a Wolverine? Join the Orphans of X! The aim? To hunt down and kill all Wolverines using material gleaned from the magical Muramasa blade, that neutralises the Wolverines’ healing factors.

So does they do it - nuh buh muh huh guh? Sorry, my brain shut down at the astoopidity of that question! The real question should be: is it at least a somewhat entertaining read before Laura and co. inevitably beat them? Eh, kinda…

It’s the same problem with each Wolverine book: whoever’s wr
Chad
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! That was fantastic! Can Tom Taylor write all of Marvel's comics?

A group of those affected by the many people Wolverine and his clawed brethren have killed over the years go after Laura and Daken. (Yes, I know Jason Aaron visited this same concept during his Wolverine run, but Tom comes up with a better ending.)

Taylor has a way of surprising you with the end of each issue that I really like. Gabby continues to make me laugh. Even during these super serious issues with the possibility
Scott
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"They want to kill you, Laura." - [character name withheld for spoiler's sake]

"That's not so easily done." - Laura "All-New Wolverine" Kinney

Orphans of X is my swan song for the 'All-New Wolverine' series - the local library system does not carry the sixth and final volume - but Marvel could've just as easily called it a day with this book.

This might be the bloodiest and most violent of the volumes thus far, with its numerous scenes of brutal action. Laura and family face off with the Orphans of
Chris
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Hot damn! All-New Wolverine is one of the most consistent series i've ever read. Five volumes in and Tom Taylor shows no signs of slowing down, writing possibly his best arc yet. Combine that with the strongest artwork since Vol. 1 and Orphans of X is a must-read.

I'm a fan of digital artwork with clean lines and detailed characters, so I immediately took to Juan Cabal's Russel Dauterman/Mikel Janin-esque art style. Neil Woodward's colour work is also notable, setting the tone on many occasions.

C
Paul E. Morph
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Possibly my favourite Laura book so far. Took a bunch of stuff from Logan's book I never particularly liked and made it cool. Superb curve-ball at the end!
James DeSantis
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This wasn't as good as the previous three volumes but still a lot of fun!

So Laura goes on a rescue mission after Draken, the son of wolverine, and basically her brother, goes missing. Instead of finding him she finds her mother. What's that? Draken breaks free of the Orphans of X, a evil community hellbent on killing all the wolverines for the murders they committed. When he comes into the picture and meets up with Laura and Gabby shit goes down, people get killed, and then the war between the
Wing Kee
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit heavy handed in the message but it has all the feels.

World: The art is great, I like how expressive the people are, even if they do have dead eyes and wax expressions sometimes...I'm wondering if it's the colors or the art itself. I will say this, I don't like the new colors for Laura's suit, I know it fits her current mood but I loved the bright yellow and blue, that's just me. The world building here is also fantastic, building upon the history of X-23 and also the X family (mainly Weapo
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]
Have you been affected by a Weapon X creation, or derivative thereof? Lost a family member, a limb, your livelihood? Then maybe you should join the Orphans Of X.

This new organization have Laura and Gabby firmly in their sights in this next family-driven storyline from Tom Taylor. If you're a fan of X-23, this one really digs deep into her history, with supporting characters and even a returning 'villain'.

I love the extended family dynamic that Laura has with the other Wo
Roy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brand new storyline in a way. Kinda feels like the volumes before only have a small link. Huge improvement from Vol 4. This seems like a cool story development, so cool background info from Japan, and some new characters arrive. Will be cool to see where this one goes.
ellis
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
good!!!! aaaa
Diz
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an improvement over the last volume. There's some great bonding between Laura and her brother Daken. However, there is some stuff set in Japan that seems to be drawn by someone who didn't do a lot of research on it. The armor that is made for Laura looks more Balinese than Japanese.
Frédéric
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, wolvie
People who had a close one killed by any one of our clawed mutants have regrouped in an organisation aiming to wipe out those responsible once and for all. After kidnapping Daken they're out to get some bits of the Murumasa blade (which negates any healing factor).

Chalk another 4* for Tom Taylor who manages a good story, mixing action, humor (Gaby, once again on top), a bit of suspense (we all know nobody will die but still) and even some sick stuff that add a slight weirdo touch (Daken literall
Travis Duke
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
More good new wolverine from Tom Taylor and Juann Cabal. The art from Mr. Cabal might be my new favorite stuff, its so damn crisp and detailed I freaking love it. OK lets talk about the important part.....Gabby! Seriously Gabby is such a fresh character I love her personality. So this volume the whole wolverine family (minus ummm... Logan i suppose) is teamed up to tackle the Orphans of X who are family memebers of people who have suffered from mutant attacks. The story is sort of mundane but To ...more
Kay
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another wonderfully well-written volume of All-New Wolverine.
I don't know what the MARVEL Legacy relaunch will do to this series (it's super hard for me to keep any info straight, or to find any straightforward info online. help.).

Tom Taylor is so smart. I didn't know Daken before, but lucky for me, Taylor introduced us to him in the last volume All-New Wolverine, Volume 4: Immune, so when Daken becomes the focal point of this volume Orphans of X I didn't have to Google him for the first time.
Renata
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
(read as single issues)

I just love Laura and Gabby (aka HONEY BADGER) just so much and I like this storyline more than I thought I would (going to Japan and crafting ~mystical soul armor~ is like, not my favorite flavor of Wolverine adventure in general) but I do appreciate the reckoning of grief and the aftermath of violence in away that superhero comics don't always dwell on.
Drown Hollum
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero
Wowee! I've really loved Tom Taylor's Wolverine, and this volume is a great example of the run at peak form. Juann Cabal lends a McKelvie-esque hand to pencil the whole damn thing with patience and consistency, and that makes all the difference in the world. Taylor crafts a Wolverine story with equal parts Logan, and X-23. He makes some deep cuts, and cleverly walks the line of what this book is meant to be. I'm absolutely impressed, and he even employs Daken in a meaningful way, which makes me ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Taylor's X-23 comic continues to be great.

As usual, much of the joy is in the characters. Laura and Gabby (and Jonathan!) continue to be lots of fun, and the introduction of Daken to this volume only improves on that dynamic. The interactions between him and Laura as true family members are very touching.

The plot is also interesting, because it's all about the victims of the Wolver-crew seeking their revenge. Though this starts off as strong conflicts, it's not surprising at all that Taylor mana
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good? I somehow still never expect it. Once again, I cried. The ending! Was so emotional!
Thomas
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read as single issues.

Wow. Just wow. I have loved Laura's journey as the Wolverine, but this story was phenomenal. I can't say too much without spoiling it, but a lot of stops get pulled out as things escalate in the fight against the Orphans of X. I loved the nods to Logan's time in Japan, I loved the interactions with Laura's family, and I especially loved the ending. As I read it, I had to stop and collect my emotions and thoughts - the solution is so uniquely Laura, I was touched deeply by i
Adam Spanos
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection houses All-New Wolverine #25 through #30 focusing on a story about a mystical blade that can harm any of the mutants who have healing factors. This draws Daken, Wolverine, and her clone little sister together in a familiar way that adds meaning to the madness.

A good volume indeed, especially if you’re interested in the Wolverine family. Taylor does an excellent job adding to the mystical elements while bringing this family closer together.

Unfortunately the ending wraps up too qui
Jason
This was one of my favorite arcs. Themes of anti-violence, unity, and forgiveness run strong here (as well as in Taylor's X-Men Red) and I love Taylor for showing superhero comics that you don't have to have people punching each other in every arc to tell a good story. Laura Kinney is the perfect vehicle for that message as well, because she has the power and chooses not to use it. It's such an important message these days. She's not just a clone of Wolverine but an evolution of him.
Tundextra
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men-books
The Sarah Kinney character has been evolving and showing growth and this volume hopefully heralds an improvement to what has been a weak series. The Orphans of X are all related to victims of the 'Wolverines' and they've got together to take them down for good! Cameos from the likes of Lady Deathstrike, Creed and Old Man Logan!
Emmett Spain
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another solid entry in a fantastic ongoing series.
Dominick
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
** Before I begin, I should just like to preface this review with the following disclaimer: any reviews I have written are almost always going to be less than biased, due to the content being related to Laura Kinney (X-23). However, that being said, if the story is rubbish, and Laura is in it, I will still be honest in my review. Now, on to the review.. **

ORPHANS OF X was the perfect story arc to wash away the taste from the two previous arcs - "Enemy of the State II" and "Immune". From the begi
Elena
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
(25) Daken, Laura's Brother (also a clone of Wolverine), is taken by the Orphans of X (an organization left orphans after the x-men/mutants murdered a mother, father...). Laura is on a mission to find and rescue him. She tracks the scent of a note left by Daken's captures, along with his arm, to The Facility. Laura was born and trained at The Facility and when she gets there Daken isn't there, but her mother, that she thought was dead, is.

(26) Laura having rescued her mother from The Facility sp
Timothy Shea
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orphans of X was another great volume of All-New Wolverine.

The art was great. Artist Juann Cabal has a really clean but detailed art style that I enjoyed very much.

I continue to love the story. I've always liked Laura Kinney in her various stories but Tom Taylor's version of her is a character I love. One of the frustrating aspects of Logan's Wolverine stories is he always gave in to his animal instincts. Sometimes he felt bad about it but his stories always end in violence. He didn't grow ver
Nate
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom Taylor is doing something very special with All-New Wolverine. From the beginning this series had an emotional depth that was often absent from Wolverine comics. While the original Wolverine wallowed in death, this series is about life. While old school Wolverine was often about revenge, this series is about recovery. No more are those differences bigger and much better than they are here in the first comic I've seen take on the "Me Too" movement for the first time I've seen in a print mediu ...more
Adam Fisher
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
We begin with a legend from Logan's time in Japan... that of the Murumasa, a blade forged using part of a soul, allowing the blade to cut at a molecular level, eliminating the ability for healing factor to kick in on it. The sword was given to Logan, was eventually worked into Daken's claws, but was then broken down and hidden.
... but Daken has been abducted...
Laura and Gabby find Daken's arm and go on the trail to try and find him. Daken has been taken by a group calling themselves the "Orphans
Unseen Library
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prepare yourself for an all-new Wolverine in this exciting new series from Tom Taylor and a skilled team of Marvel artists, as one of the best characters in the Marvel Universe, X-23, rises to take the place of one of comic’s most beloved superheroes. I have reviewed all 6 volumes of All-New Wolverine in one big review.

Following the death of the original Wolverine, Logan, in the 2014 series Death of Wolverine, Marvel chose to elevate his clone and surrogate daughter, X-23, to the role of Wolveri
C
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Continuing the great x-read of 2017/18...

I don't understand how this keeps happening. How can Wolverine books consistently be my favorite books to read in this particular era of x-history? It really makes no sense, but Laura's story is just so darned good volume after volume.

In all, I would have to say that this volume isn't the strongest that the series has had so far (also, can the Marvel writers get together and decide how they are going to write Daken? He seems like completely different char
« previous 1 3 next »

• Uncanny X-Force, Volume 6:  Final Execution, Book 1
  • Cyclops, Vol. 1: Starstruck
  • X-Men Blue, Vol. 3: Cross Time Capers
  • Black Bolt, Vol. 2: Home Free
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Jean Grey, Vol. 1: Nightmare Fuel

NA Contemporary - Tom^^^^^^^^Taylor
Roanoake Virginia - Tom^^^^^^^^^Taylor
b.1922 - Tom^^^^^^^^^^Taylor
b.1948 Business Writer - Tom^^^^^^^^^^^Taylor

All-New Wolverine (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 1: The Four Sisters