Start by marking “The Biological Mind: How Brain, Body, and Environment Collaborate to Make Us Who We Are” as Want to Read:

A pioneering neuroscientist argues that we are more than our brains
To many, the brain is the seat of personal identity and autonomy. But the way we talk about the brain is often rooted more in mystical conceptions of the soul than in scientific fact. This blinds us to the physical realities of mental function. We ignore bodily influences on our psychology, from chemicals i
Published March 13th 2018 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Biological Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biological Mind

Christopher L.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent book about the neuroscience of how the interactions between what we think, how we move (or not), and who we socially engage with create the individuals we are becoming. Jasanoff's argument, in brief, is that "who we are" is the result of "the interdependent nature" of our brain, body, and environment (p. 3). Two of my favorite quotes are:
(1) "Our brains are not mysterious beacons, glowing with inner radiance against a dark void. Instead, they are organic prisms that refract the ligh
Erin
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is more of a thought experiment than your typical popscience book. It's a lot more conjecture and theory than fact. The ideas posed are fairly common sense and I felt that the source material was limited severely by modern doctrine. The largest barrier to scientific breakthrough today remains political correctness. In some places, I felt like I was being lectured by a dinosaur with no knowledge of genetic breakthroughs and what they mean about brain function and intelligence.
Soren
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Not the best book I've ever read, but the subject matter was pretty interesting. That last chapter was pretty weird.
Don  Kent
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a well written and construed book that carefully explains the interrelationships and science that regulates who we are and how the stated interrelationships make it so.
Cheryl
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were some very interesting parts of this book, and I did learn a few new things, but overall it was very dry. The last chapter was also particularly strange.
Bruce
Sep 09, 2018
David
Jun 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Brain Science Pod...: BS 146 Alan Jasanoff on "the Biological Mind" 1 5 Jun 22, 2018 06:31AM
  • A Lab of One's Own: Science and Suffrage in the First World War
  • Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future
  • The Marvelous Pigness of Pigs: Respecting and Caring for All God's Creation
  • Born Liars: Why We Can't Live without Deceit
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
  • The Atoms Of Language: The Mind's Hidden Rules Of Grammar
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age
  • Inventing Ourselves: The Secret Life of the Teenage Brain
  • Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin
  • Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?: Bodies, Behavior, and Brains--the Science Behind Sex, Love, and Attraction
  • The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding
  • I am Not Sick, I Don't Need Help!: How to Help Someone With Mental Illness Accept Treatment
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why Itjust Might
  • The Secret of Scent: Adventures in Perfume and the Science of Smell
  • Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics
  • The Human Instinct: How We Evolved to Have Reason, Consciousness, and Free Will
  • Why Is Milk White?: 200 Other Curious Chemistry Questions