Start by marking “Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World” as Want to Read:
Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World

Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World

When a tornado rips through town, twelve-year-old Ivy Aberdeen's house is destroyed and her family of five is displaced. Ivy feels invisible and ignored in the aftermath of the storm--and what's worse, her notebook filled with secret drawings of girls holding hands has gone missing.

Mysteriously, Ivy's drawings begin to reappear in her locker with notes from someone telling
Published March 6th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World, please sign up.
Andrea Yes, this book is realistic fiction for middle grades.

Start your review of Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
A middle grade novel about a girl realizing she likes girls! My queer little heart is so happy. If I had had this book when I was 12, high school would have been SO different. I want everyone to read this damn booooook.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Not to be dramatic but I cried like 87 times reading this
Cristina Monica
Ivy knew that wondering was what life was all about. Wondering was how you found yourself.

This book is an explosion of emotions.

3.5 stars. I did not expect to be reading a middle grade story. This is my fourth book from this author, and I was sure I knew her style and genre of choice by now, but this just shows that authors will try different things—sometimes it works for them, sometimes it doesn’t.

Well I sure hope Ashley Herring Blake will surprise us with more middle grade reads in the fu
elena
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Ivy could draw herself right now, she'd be wrapped in clouds and down blankets, pillows and pastel-colored rainbows. Every soft thing. Again, Ivy could only nod her throat tick and achy. She didn't know how to process anything lately.

Middle-grade books are unknown in my world. Growing up, I read Spanish books that were either originally written in that language or were translated, and the majority of them were picked out by me at the Scholastic festivals my school always had. I re
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I don’t read a lot of middle grade novels, and when I do, they’re generally exclusively fantasy or historical fiction. When I think of MG contemporary novels, it’s not typically a book I’m going to reach for. That said, I have adored Ashley Herring Blake’s YA novels so tremendously (as you can see from my raving reviews of How to Make a Wish and Girl Made of Stars), that I knew I would love this little MG story, too, and was elated when she sent me an ARC.

How was Ivy supposed to know how to han
Dylan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

I'll go more in depth with my thoughts later, but uh hi, sobbing in work's breakroom.
Julie Zantopoulos
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Stories, written and drawn, were in the Aberdeen's girls' blood."

A book about a girl whose mother is an author and who loves to illustrate and draw? Precious, purely precious, and heartbreaking, and heartwarming. I loved it so so much. This is a stunning coming of age middle-grade novel centering around family, sexuality, tragedy, and acceptance.

"Layla wasn't the sister she used to be, and that's what Ivy wanted. She wanted everything to go back the way it was. Before the storm, before Layla an
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I have now five starred two books by this author and am contractually obliged to read everything she ever writes
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Wholesome is the best word to describe this book.
A queer story that will make you relate, hurt, sympathize, root, but more than anything grow.
Amazing character development.
This is the sexuality exploration middle grade I always needed it but never had.
What better in this quarantine than reading a queer middle grade to lift the spirits? Nothing, yeah I thought so. So excited.💖 💖 💖 💖 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈
may ➹
hey Ashley Herring Blake.........is there like any possible way you could stop making all of us CRY

[4.5]
lov2laf
Some words to describe this book: Perfect. Beautiful. Poignant. Necessary. Long overdue.

I loved it! So many thanks to the author for writing it.
Alice 🔮
How was Ivy supposed to know how to handle all these feelings for June, all these feelings at all, if everything she saw and read about and heard about was all boy-girl, girl-boy?

This review is actually taking me a while to write because of how personal this book felt to me, I go into it in my full review here: https://lowlightlibrary.wordpress.com...

One of the main parts to this book is Ivy growing up thinking that what she is feeling isn't normal because she has never seen it before. Another
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was on the verge of tears or actually crying the entire time while reading this book. Wow.
Kristy
Ivy Aberdeen is struggling with feeling invisible in her family—her mom is busy with Ivy’s new twin brothers. Things get worse when a tornado destroys their home, displacing the family. In the aftermath, Ivy—an artist—loses a notebook filled her most precious drawings. When they start showing up in her locker with notes attached, Ivy realizes the note-leaver may be on to what Ivy can barely voice herself: she has crushes and dreams about girls. Can Ivy make herself seen and follow her heart?

"
Adri
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so perfect and beautiful and soft and thoughtful—the queer middle grade that kids have deserved for a long, long time. There was *nothing* I didn't love about this triumphant love letter to self-acceptance °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Mike Mullin
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I ordered everything Blake has written immediately after finishing it. If her other work is half as good, she'll be one of my "must read" authors forever.
ambsreads
READ MY REVIEW FOR IVY ABERDEEN'S LETTER TO THE WORLD, AND OTHERS, ON MY BLOG

Ivy Aberdeen’s Letter to the World was a book I knew I was going to love before I even started it. I have read two others of Ashley Herring Blake’s works and loved them. Ashley has a talent of incorporating as much as feeling into her books as possible so you have no choice but to feel connected to her characters. Her books feel so short to me since I’ve read them all in one sitting, but they’re so damn good. Ivy Aberde
Rena
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dewey's #Readathon Book 3 - Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World is the perfect book for questioning girls, and I'm not ashamed to say this book made me tear up. It makes discovering your sexuality a normal yet complex concept without being too heavy-handed, and not just about the romance and happy endings, but about the confidence to be yourself. Family issues and friendships are also integrated nicely into the story in a way that feels honest. This was a lovely, wonderful book to end on for the ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This is a beautiful, emotionally pitch perfect book about Ivy, a 12-year-old dealing with a lot: she's feeling left out of her family with two new twin babies; a tornado destroyed their house; she's realizing that she likes girls instead of boys. After the tornado, Ivy's notebook that has drawings revealing her feelings for girls goes missing. The way this book resists the urge to tie everything up in too neat a bow is lovely. The way this book dealt honestly and compassionately with its charact ...more
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
listen, I've been sobbing for like an hour now I'm so TENDER
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was so wholesome and yet emotional 😭 let me just curl into a ball and hug it to my chest
Connor
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Readers Interested in LGBTQ+ Themes
Recommended to Connor by: Kelsi
Shelves: lgbt, middle-grade
Woah I listened to the entire audiobook almost in one go (I listened to the first chapter before bed and then listened to the rest this morning).

This is one where I actually wasn't loving it at the beginning. I considered putting it aside and listening to something else, but I'm really glad I pushed through that initial wariness. My initial feelings, I think, were because I really wasn't liking how Ivy's sister was treating her. Ivy has lost her "baby of the family" status and is also realizing
;3
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, audiobooks
the way this book broke my heart AND mended it,,,iconic iconic
Iris
This book! THIS BOOK!! Oh my gosh this book was so sweet, and touching, and beautiful, and I have so many feelings! This book made me laugh and cry and everything in between. I adored this book.

And it warms my heart to see such an unapologetically queer middle grade book. I feel like there's far less queer middle grades than there is queer YA, and we need to start seeing more middle grade books like this. And this book is just... it's so good. I cannot recommend this book enough (both for younge
Cristina
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful journey of a preteen that navigates her first crush, a family disaster and her relationship with her best friend. Wonderful and well-done story.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Ashley Herring Blake is my Middle Grade sapphic queen. A gift to this world.
Linda
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book though tears, because it felt so real and I loved it so much.

It's a really character-driven story, that focuses mostly on 12 year old Ivys feelings and Ivy feels a lot. She feels alone, unseen, forgotten by her family ... and she feels that she might like girls.

I loved the whole atmosphere of the book. It is calm, soft and insightful. I loved that Ivy expressed herself through her art. As someone who had several journals as a child and teenager, who drew a lot, I could tota
Lauren Stoolfire
That was beautiful. You need to meet Ivy Aberdeen!
Erica Henry
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute, sweet, sad and adorable coming-of-age story. I'm so glad I read it.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 12 Nov 16, 2019 06:48PM

• Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • The Bridge Home
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish
  • One True Way
  • Blended
  • The Night Diary
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Redwood and Ponytail
Ashley Herring Blake is a reader, writer, and mom to two boisterous boys. She holds a Master’s degree in teaching and loves coffee, arranging her books by color, and watching Buffy over and over again on Netflix with her friends. She's the author of the young adult novels SUFFER LOVE, HOW TO MAKE A WISH, and GIRL MADE OF STARS, as well as the middle grade novels, IVY ABERDEEN'S LETTER TO THE WORLD ...more