Start by marking “The Sloth Who Came to Stay” as Want to Read:
The Sloth Who Came to Stay

The Sloth Who Came to Stay

A wryly amusing story about a fast family who are taught to slow down when an adorable sloth comes to stay by the award-winning author of Fox and Ruby Roars.

Amy's family is speedy! They are always in such a rush that there is no time to talk or play - until the afternoon Amy brings home a sloth. Then things start changing very, very slowly ...

A timely tale about enjoying t
Published July 2017 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about The Sloth Who Came to Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sloth Who Came to Stay

Brendon Schrodinger
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, zoology
This is a super cute book about a sloth who sponges off families and teaches them the art of slowing down and appreciating life. Full of wonderful and cartoon illustrations, bright and colourful and the words are brilliant too. Full of exaggerations about being SSSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWW.

And the dad looks like me, the mum looks like my wife. And the dad is a teacher. And he is ginger.

I think this book will be one of our favourites. I am sure we'll reread it and wear it out.
Figgy
This is a gorgeous book full of illustrations of the cutest sloth you’ve ever seen. There are plenty of fantastic little background touches that paint the scene, like the destruction left in the wake of the family when they walked fast, drove fast, shopped fast, and ate fast. There’s even a stack of books about thinking and being faster, and an increasingly speedy stack of fast meal books (20 minute meals at the bottom of the stack, instant meals at the top, obviously recently used) early on, an ...more
Neeli
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ - especially for those families that always wear their "busyness" like a badge of honour. It's time to stop and smell the roses people....and to also add this book to your bookshelf...

Beautifully written and illustrated. I loved the clever choice of words that clearly demonstrated the different paces of life that the humans and the sloth followed.

It deserves more than five stars! If only this book came with a real sloth... ;)
Library_geek
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This review can be found on www.littlebigreads.com

I wasn’t sure what this book was exactly going to be about, apart from a Sloth Who Came to Stay of course. I could only imagine that there would be an element of slow to the book, I did not expect there to be such strong and emotive message for adults. Although I am not a mamma it certainly illustrated to me how our busy, fast paced lives that we continue to fill, shape how we are as a family (not just those with children) and dictate our lives.
Dimity Powell
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Simply told, this story expresses the need to slow down and smell the roses or admire the algae as it were. A timely reminder that there is much more to life and family than simply making ends meet and rushing from A to B as Sloth and his adorable sidekick, worm somehow make everyone see, albeit very very slowly. To's illustrative representations of the multi-expressioned sloth are spot on and soooo very cute. Highly recommended for lower to mid primary readers and those of us who need to slow d ...more
Charty
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not sure what the appeal is supposed to be with this story. The family lives their life very fast. He helps the family slow down and enjoy life. I wasn't taken with the prose and didn't find the drawings to be anything more than generic cartooon kid style. Plus there are some dubious things being advocated. The little girl basically steals the sloth our of the park (kids, don't steal or otherwise disrupt the wildlife!) Not a fan.
Rebecca Johnson
Amy's family is the fast in the world - they talk fast, walk fast, drive fast, and eat fast. This doesn't leave much room for fun. Until the sloth came to stay and forced them all to slow down a little. This is one of the cutest picture books I have ever seen, and I warn you: do NOT read this to your child unless you're prepared to explain why you can't have a sloth. I'm still not entirely sure I can't.
Louisa Robertson
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Both of my daughters adore this beautiful story. It’s about a lovely sloth character who moves in with the worlds ‘fastest’ family. Such a great moral to the story of slowing down, appreciating time with family and enjoying the little things in life. Enjoyable and relevant for children and adults. Can’t recommend highly enough 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Rebecca
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful reflection on modern families and a child’s delight in having a week of going ‘slow.’
The illustrations and text pair beautifully. The facial expressions of each character perfectly depict the emotions of all the characters.
A fabulous read for young and old.
Anna
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too adorable. Made high-pitched (hidden) noises over every page. Will read it to my little siblings and children one day. It's a great reminder to take a step back from time to time and the illustrations are simply wonderful.
Melissa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute story about learning to take things slow. The illustrations are adorable, amazing work by illustrator Vivienne To!
Lynette Oxley
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Fabulous text coupled with delightful illustrations. No wonder this picture book was shortlisted for the Crichton Award for New Illustrators by the Children's Book Council of Australia.
Nora Elphinstone
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great story about busy lives and taking time to slow down and enjoy the now.
Michelle
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about the importance of slowing down and taking time to appreciate things. Our 9 & 10 year old students loved it, it came runner up in our Picture Book World Cup.
Emma
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Margaret Wild. I love sloths. I love this.

Vivienne To's illustrations are sublime.
Patricia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A picture book about a sloth! Sometimes a sloth can help families learn to slow down and enjoy life a little bit.
Fiona
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really wonderful story with a lovely message. Beautiful illustrations as well! Got a few for friend’s’ kids and they all loved it!
ourlittlelibrary
Angela
Oct 17, 2018
Lainy122
Apr 06, 2018
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs ...more