Start by marking “That's What She Said: Wise Words from Influential Women” as Want to Read:
That's What She Said: Wise Words from Influential Women

That's What She Said: Wise Words from Influential Women

An artist and activist committed to the empowerment of women and girls has created a gorgeous illustrated volume, blending watercolor and short biography to showcase the contributions of more than fifty influential female leaders whose words and actions are a passionate call to arms.

Distraught by the results of the 2016 election and the realization that the nation was not
Published April 3rd 2018 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about That's What She Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's What She Said

Start your review of That's What She Said: Wise Words from Influential Women
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
“That's What She Said: Wise Words from Influential Women” by Kimothy Joy is a gorgeous collection of watercolor portraits, quotes, and biographies celebrating diverse group of 50 influential women from Maya Angelou, Gloria Steinem, Virginia Woolf, Sojourner Truth, Malala Yousafzai, to Ruth Bader Ginsburg, that’ll sure to inspire women of all ages & backgrounds! I’ve been really loving picture books, I bought few over the holiday; so many amazing illustrated books out there! And, it’s a nice brea ...more
Leigh Kramer
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
That's What She Said is a lovely addition to any coffee table. The book highlights more than 50 women, pairing a watercolor illustration with a quote and then a brief bio of their life and accomplishments. The illustrations are beautiful and many of the quotes, even if they were familiar, stopped me in my tracks.

What I found most interesting was the description of each woman. I was familiar with most of the women selected but I found I still learned new and interesting facts, like how Amelia Ear
CLM
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
A charming little gift book containing winsome illustrations and short descriptions of 50 women and their quotes. Even if you think you know all about these women, trust author Kimothy Joy to unearth some key fact. For some examples of these quotes, see my review:

Jessica
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fear that my review is going to be wholly inadequate, and not do this book the justice that it deserves. That's What She Said: Wise Words From Influential Women is a gorgeous, timely book that should be in the house of every person out there! The use of script and artwork create pages that are a joy to look at, and the quotes themselves just add to the complete package that is this book. You'll find wise words from women of all creeds, all colors, and all backgrounds. It's a beautiful reminder ...more
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
Nothing exactly breathtaking, but the artwork was gorgeous and the women inspiring. A nice little book to have on hand when you need a dose of encouragement.
Sara Strand
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I'm not sold on the cover, but I can see why an understated and simple design would be pleasing to the eye. If you are looking for positive affirmations and encouraging words every day, this is a great book to add to your collection. Forget Pinterest motivational quotes from nobody, this has what you need from people we all know (Maya Angelou, Anne Frank, Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah Winfrey, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, etc) and some that aren't household names (Zaha Hadid, Wilma Mankiller, Pat ...more
Holly's Little Book Reviews
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love absolutely everything about this book. Although small in size, this little read is full of beautiful, courageous, inspirational women. Each page is dedicated to a woman who has made a difference in our world and lives... from writers to activists, politicians to scientists, and everything in between. Kimothy Joy started by creating beautiful watercolor portraits and paired each with a memorable quote and short story about the over fifty different women featured in the book. Each story fil ...more
Kelly K
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Little snippets from some epic ladies.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I rounded out my "Women's History Month" with this great, inspirational read from Kimothy Joy. Joy paints stunning pictures of women along with quotes from them in this book. She also includes a mini-biography of each woman. There are so many great people in this book. Some are more familiar than others but all are very inspirational.

The illustrations are what makes this book really special. They are beautiful and Joy does a great job of capturing the persona of each woman. They are very pretty
Lauren Thorne
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so sad to be finished with this book. What an illuminating and celebratory account of some really great ladies! If I had the money to do so, I’d buy this book for all of my nearest and dearest (both women and men). Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Kimothy Joy!!!!
Emily
This is a very beautiful book filled with one-page bios of influential women, accompanied by a lovely watercolor and ink portrait and inspirational quote. I liked that I learned about some women who I hadn't heard of before. This would make a lovely gift for a young girl, especially as the bios are short and contain fun modern language (such as referring to Emmeline Pankhurst as the "OG suffragette").

However, I do have some nitpicks that dragged my star rating down:
-The women featured are largel
TammyJo Eckhart
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another of the inspirational women books that has been coming out regularly since the 2016 general election in the USA.

In this case we have 50 small biographies along with 50 portraits that Kimothy Joy painted when she was working through her emotions about said election. I like the images, they are well done, they look like the women named, but there is a repeated general motif near each image that lacks the inspiration I've seen in similar image/text books over the past year plus.

Out
Ine Heyerick
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
'That's What She Said' by Kimothy Joy is a beautifully illustrated book with a collection of quotes by 50 inspirational women. You also get a short biography for every woman, which briefly explains her merits and achievements.

The illustrations are really nice, and I liked the variety of the fields in which the portrayed women were or are still active: politics, sports, education, fashion, literature, science, etc. However, the selection of the women is rather US-focussed. Also, the "biographies
Mary Margaret
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I though this compilation of quotes and mini biographies was inspirational, but I will also say that the writing tended to be too sophisticated while also trying to be conversational. It became incongruous, and I wasn’t drawn into the writing as a result. I thought the choices of women highlighted were diverse and thoughtful, but I also feel like it was odd, too, and, perhaps, a bit random?
It was a good read and a nice one to start the year off with to motivate me, but I don’t think it’s groundb
Liz P
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway recently and it is amazing. The author has beautiful illustrations of each woman she quotes along with information about each woman. I think I might buy a second copy to give away as a gift! In the back of the book, the author leaves room for you to write-in a quote and story about a woman in your life that has inspired you. This is a great book all around.
Amber
This beautifully illustrated book has a quick "Cliff's Notes" biography of 50 women from 1800-present of all ages and races. It wasn't quite what I thought, but I feel it would make a great gift for a graduate. The illustrations have a quote from each of the women, and on the following page, the biography.

Quick Read.
M.C. Chronister
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. It is informative and has lovely illustrations. I plan to read this with my daughters to teach them about influential women in history. To show them that women are powerful, intelligent, and strong and that they should never let anyone dim their light.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This beautiful book includes short biographies of influential women of our time and throughout history along with gorgeous watercolor illustrations. This would make a perfect graduation gift for the female graduate.
icarranna
The illustrations in this book were great, but the background information on the "influential women" was a bit bland and inconsistent in the delivery (sometimes serious, sometimes with a bit of humor). But I really liked the compilation and hope to share it with my kids.
Amanda Katsion vadbunker
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely,powerful little book. I am embarrased to say that several of these kick ass women i knew little to nothing about. It is a great inspiration for further inquiry by adults and children.
Terri
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an inspirational book. It will be good to display for women's history month. happy to see Wilma Mankiller included.
Michelle
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful look at women in our society (now and then) that made great contributions to history and were an inspiration to us all.
Emma
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic little bios and wise words - combined with Joy's brilliant artistry - make for an excellent book, and one I'll be recommending to students!
Claire
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So MANY powerful words of women
. Rachel Carson- The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the Universe about us, the less taste we shall have for Destruction
HistoryWithTiffany
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love Kimothy Joy and the way she uses her art to open up necessary conversations about issues integral to society.
Masha
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read. Powerful message (messages). Including Gloria Steinem and Patti Smith
Peggy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book!! Inspirational! Every young girl should have this book (says the septuagenarian).
Tanya
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick inspiring read with beautifully whimsical illustrations.
Taylor Powers
Good book, just confused on her order for picking the different woman.
εïз Melody Fairymeadow εïз
A wonderful personal list of influential women! Every bookshelf should have this. It's a great introduction to young minds of some of the greatest women of the past and the present.

• Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • Legendary Ladies: 50 Goddesses to Empower and Inspire You
  • Intimations
  • The True Love Quilting Club (Twilight, Texas, #2)
  • Valentina Tereshkova: The First Lady of Space: In Her Own Words
  • The Mercies
  • Your Brain Needs a Hug: Life, Love, Mental Health, and Sandwiches
  • The Welcome Home Garden Club (Twilight, Texas, #4)
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas (Twilight, Texas, #6)
  • Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3)
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Elephant Keeper
  • Beyond Summer (Blue Sky Hill #3)
  • Around the World with Nas Daily: 1,000 Unpredictable Days, Unexpected Places, and Unforgettable People
  • All Along You Were Blooming: Thoughts for Boundless Living