Start by marking “Cocktails and Dreams” as Want to Read:
Cocktails and Dreams

Cocktails and Dreams

(Martini Club #1)

A heart-warming novel with characters you’ll love, don’t miss this first in a new series for romance, laugh-out-loud comedy and a feel-good ending. Perfect for fans of Mhairi McFarlane and Lindsey Kelk.

I was seven years old when I realized my mother was not a great person…

Published July 24th 2017 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Cocktails and Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cocktails and Dreams

Sarah Joint
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: Karlita | Tale Out Loud
This is so much fun! I usually shy away from romance, but I'm so glad I gave this one a chance. Sometimes you just need a book that'll make you feel good. It's very sweet, entertaining, heartfelt, and even funny. The romance doesn't even start really start to gain speed until about the halfway mark. This is every inch a feel-good novel. I loved Savvy. I loved all of the characters. Reading this novel was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. I think it's a nice quick read that will mak ...more
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
“Dreams don’t die. They just sleep sometimes.”

Savannah — plain, quiet and dreamless pleaser — a bartender who is a cocktail-making genius at The Martini Club. Being cheated on and dumped by her 9 years of a DJ boyfriend, she felt like her world is falling apart all over again. She's hurt and broken. But what she thought a life's setback, was actually a life changing possibility.

I see how Savannah completely changed from being a wallflower into someone who
Elaine
The story starts with the end of her relationship with her boyfriend of nine years but moves on from potential heartbreak to new experiences and a world of possibilities. Having been taken on tour with her rock star mother for most of her life, when she is seven years old Savvy asks for a normal life and her Mum literally dumps her with her aunt. The two have had little interaction since then. Now Savvy works at a burlesque club with some fantastic characters who encourage her to develop her own ...more
Darcie Boleyn
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cocktails and Dreams has everything you need from a heart-warming, emotional and fulfilling read this summer.

The story is raw, funny and real, and I lurched from laughing out loud to blinking away tears. A.L.Michael writes so beautifully, that Cocktails and Dreams completely won my heart.

Firstly, there is the beautiful story of Savannah, a young woman once abandoned by her rock star mother. Who wouldn’t be hurt and damaged by this? Savvy is so loveable, sweet, funny and strong that I rooted for
Jane Shambler
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the first book I have read by this author and I have to admit it was kinda fun. I'll definitely be looking forward to more from this author. I think what I liked the most was that the main character was human. I know it is not science fiction what I meant was that he was normal, with all the flaws you and I have. You could actually relate to him.

Savannah Curtis is the main character. She is just coming out of a long term relationship and you know how that is, yeah she is understandably a
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is completely 100% my sort of book! It had delicious sounding cocktail recipes, some delicious food, a character who is just learning how to discover her own dreams, a problematic relationship with a mother, oh and a hot bartender as the frosting on the glass!

Savvy is the daughter of an international rockstar, but aged seven she realised her mother wasn't all she should be, as when Savvy asked for a normal life, she gets abandoned at her aunts house, and barely has a relationship with her m
Clair
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
I absolutely adored A.L. Michael’s Goodbye Ruby Tuesday series so I was very excited to find out that there was a new series coming out with new characters to fall in love with. The first one, Cocktails and Dreams does not disappoint!

A.L. Michael is back with her signature writing style; laugh-out-loud stories with brilliant, relatible characters who are having to also deal with the tougher side of life.

Savvy (or Savannah) is haunted by her past; she constantly lives in the shadow of being the d
Agi
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases, 2017

I am not so into cocktails. Heck, I am not so into alcohol, except maybe for a glass or two of Prosecco. So I can hear you asking, duh, what did you want from a book titled "Cocktails and Dreams"? True - but it was again the synopsis and the lovely bright yellow cover that captured my attention and I just wanted to read this story that turned out to be a great journey of discovering your own dreams and following them.
Though, I must admit, when I started reading the book I started to have this v
Simona
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booktours
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Savvy, works at The Martini Club as a bartender, she has just been left by her DJ boyfriend and her mother is a famous rockstar! Savvy only met her dad when she was a teenager and her mother left when she was 7 years old.

She is ready for some changes and meets handsome bartender Milo on the way. She goes in a real journey, becomes more confident and believes in herself. She is happy! I loved seeing Savvy and Milo discussing their d
Katie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cocktails and Dreams was a brilliant read but I must admit I was craving the gorgeous sounding cocktails throughout! As soon as I read the blurb I knew I'd love it - cocktails, men and family drama, I knew it was going to be a winner!

Savvy spent the first part of her childhood with her mother who was on the road as a singer. By the age of 7, Savvy has had enough and craves a normal life with a normal mother. So she ends up being abandoned with her Mum's sister Jen and Savvy grows up watching her
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

Persephone Black is a rockstar, a rockstar who left her daughter with her sister, wrote a song about abandoning her then sent it to her on her birthday.

Savvy is that daughter and that song has followed her through her life, haunted her. She’s settled into a relationship with a DJ who nobody in her life likes too much and when he dumps her to progress his z-list career, she has to move home to her Aunt and she realises she needs to make some ch
Grass monster
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Blurb :
I was seven years old when I realized my mother was not a great person…
Since Savvy was abandoned by her rockstar mother, she has craved a normal life. But after years of financing her boyfriend’s lacklustre career, he leaves her when he hits the bigtime.
Savvy’s friends at the burlesque club where she serves elaborate cocktails encourage her to make bold changes in her life. She soon meets handsome bartender Milo, and begins to plan a future she can be excited about.
But when Savvy’s e
Jo
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light and fun read from this author. It goes to show that no matter what your history is you can make a success of yourself. Did I read that this is the first in a series? wouid lije to kniw how Savannah gets on at the cookery school. Thank you to TBC and to the author for the chance to read this title.
Monica Mac
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, from first page to last, it was beautifully written with a main character who had a lot of heart and soul. I found myself cheering Savvy on every step of the way, hoping that everything would work out for her because, darn it, she deserved it!

Her aunty Jen was such a warm character, I could just imagine her, childless herself and taking on this little girl who was pretty much abandoned by her sister. Such a beautiful bond that Savvy and Jen shared and proof posit
Charlotte
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally published at wonderfullybookish.co.uk

When I said I’d review this book, I had no idea what it was going to be about. Sometimes it’s a lot of fun to go into a new book without any preconceptions (before I knew the title, I wasn’t even sure which genre it’d be!). Turns out it’s kind of a lighthearted chicklit which isn’t always my genre of choice, but sometimes it’s great to read some lighthearted and fun. This definitely was!

At the beginning of the book, we discover that Savvy,
Shelby Marie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Savannah is haunted by her past; constantly living in the shadow of her rock 'n' roll mother, Persephone Black. Up until the age of seven, Savvy spent her life on tour buses with Persephone and her entourage, never settling down or having a 'normal' life. After multiple tantrums of wanting a normal life, Savvy's mother drops her off at her Aunty's and never returns. Savvy then moves out of her mother's shadow and in to the shadow of her self-absorbed, DJ boyfriend, who after 9 years of being tog ...more
Kate Avery
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5/5

First off I have to say I loved Savvy. She is a wonderful character, kind and considerate and it was nice that as the book went on you got to see her come out of her shell and enjoy herself more.

I especially admired that she remained true to herself whilst doing so. I also loved that she worked in a burlesque club, it sounded like such a cool place and it was definitely the first sign that Savvy was more than what she thought of herself.

The other good thing about her working in the B
Anniek
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Savannah, Savvy for short, lived with her rockstar mother when she was a small child. At the age of seven all Savvy wanted was a normal life. Her mother eventually left her with her aunt and never looked back. Savvy's mother even wrote a song about leaving her daughter behind. Now that she's an adult Savvy's world shatters again when her boyfriend breaks up with her. She helped him with his career for many years and after everything she's done for him he repays her by breaking her heart, leaving ...more
Alison
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed AL Michael’s books so it’s no surprise that I was engrossed in Cocktails and Dreams before the first page had finished.

Seven year old Savvy is wise beyond her years, she is miffed (rightly so) that her mother, Persephone Black thinks more about her rock star image than she does her daughter. Living on a tour bus is no fun for any kid but instead of mum giving up her dream she dumps Savvy with her Aunt who thankfully is a loving, caring influence.

Move forward at a rate of kn
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
This newest novel (and first in a new series) by A.L Michael explores relationships, raw emotions and cocktails. I mean, come on, what more do you want?

I had never read a book by A.L Michael before, but, from what I have heard, I was very much missing out. What I discovered when I dove into this book was a quick read with complex characters and an interesting setting (a burlesque club). I didn’t have trouble getting through this book in a single sitting.

The novel opens with Savvy, a seven-year-o
Rachel
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I became completely caught up in the story in no time at all and the way A. L. Michael writes Savvy I couldn't help rooting for her. A. L. Michael has a gorgeous writing style which is witty and felt quite real to me. Cocktails and Dreams is both heartwarming and emotional which was a lovely combination to see. There are some deeper issues relating to family that has had an effect on Savvy's life and I couldn't help but feel anger towards some of the people who had treated her so badly. Milo is ...more
Nicola Smith
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me at the word 'cocktails'. I love a Mojito or a Purple Rain or.....well I could go on but I won't. This book is perfectly described as a romantic comedy. It made me smile but it was also incredibly feel good and A.L. Michael hit exactly the right note, I thought.

The main character is Savvy, short for Savannah. She's got a famous mother and has lived in her shadow all her life, just wanting to be normal. And yet, Savvy works in a Burlesque bar - anything but normal! I loved the bar
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I was offered to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

This started off really good with how Savannah Curtis was left with her aunt as her mother was this big singing star who dumped her when she was 7 years old, she's about to walk out on a man who's taken 10 years of her life. Has a job she loves, but just stays in the background.

What happens when she meets a bartender who mixes these drinks and she starts feeling her life could be more. What happens when her mother wants to come int
Claire Mc Partlin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, great setting (a burlesque club), great characters and lots and lots of lovely food and cocktails.

Saffy works in a burlesque bar, The Martini Club, as a bartender and has just been dumped by her fame-hungry DJ boyfriend. Saffy's Mum is a famous singer who left her with sister when she was 7, because Saffy was desperate to go to school and have friends, living a normal life as opposed to touring around the world with her Mum all the time. So eventually her Mum gave in,
Georgina Roberts
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, sometimes it’s nice to read a heartwarming story such as this. It was easy reading and the characters were well thought of. It was very predictable though, however the story was well written and the ending was good. Would recommend.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Review to come. Thanks to A.L. Michael and Canelo for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.
Nicki
Loved this story just as good as the other ones in the trilogy.
Afoma Umesi
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Very sweet, light read. Lots of food and cocktails! I enjoyed this, despite the cliches.

ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Donna Rosser
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a light, quick read. Interesting characters blended well into the scenes of bars and restaurants. The Martini Club descriptions made me want to go there, see it, and meet these people. Although at times I felt it was dipping a toe into the romance novel section of publishing...the foodie aspect and mother/daughter relationship gave it more of a well-rounded feel of a read. I enjoyed the foodie parts the most. The only thing I wish there had been more of would be background on Clare. If ...more
Lisa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story begins as Savvy’s long term ‘Z list’ celeb boyfriend dumps her. Instead of crumbling and giving up Savvy moves back to her Auntie Jen’s. Auntie Jen’s straight talking, pulls no punches and say it how it is approach is enough for Savvy to reinvent herself.

A childhood tainted by the departure of her rock star Mother, this is not a story of self-pity and abandonment, but a story of survival and girl power.

I immediately loved Savvy. Down to earth, quiet and a loner, she has the complete li
A L Michael is a writer, currently living in Watford. She has a BA in English Literature with creative writing, and an MA in Creative Entrepreneurship, both from UEA. She also has an MSc in Creative Writing for Therapeutic Purposes, where she researched the usefulness of therapeutic writing with those in recovery from eating disorders.

She writes books about women who are trying to figure out their

Martini Club (3 books)
  • Prosecco and Promises
  • Martinis & Memories
“You stayed because you’d invested so much time in your relationship that it would be a waste to walk away.” 6 likes
“I hadn’t been in love with him for a long time. I just hadn’t been awake enough to realize it.” 1 likes