Start by marking “Curing Affluenza: How to buy less stuff and save the world” as Want to Read:
Curing Affluenza: How to buy less stuff and save the world

Curing Affluenza: How to buy less stuff and save the world

Affluenza is the empty sense we feel when our wasteful consumerist lifestyle leaves us dissatisfied and unfulfilled. How can we cure ourselves of this strikingly modern affliction? According to Richard Denniss, we must distinguish between consumerism, the love of buying things, which is undeniably harmful to us and to the planet, and materialism, the love of things, which ...more
Published November 2017 by Black Inc.

Trevor
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I said in my review of Affluenza, I think this is the better book of the two and not just because it is more up to date, but also because it addresses questions of culture. Now, that is also going to be my main criticism of the book too. All the same, the fact the author spends the whole book hammering the idea that the economic choices we make are not decided by economic theory, that there are alternatives, that the world has millions of examples of such alternatives, and that culture decide ...more
Carly
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this so motivating to read. It is very accessible to someone like me who has no economics training, with Denniss demystifying a nomenclature that is often intimidating to lay people.

Denniss lays out why some of our most seemingly innocuous or simple choices - and buying bottled water gets considerable air time -can make a significant difference to shaping our economy and our society and environment in positive or negative ways.

This book presents some big ideas for change but is clever
Esther
"This book is not a plea for self-sacrifice. Nor is it an attack on the morality or rationality of the billions of people who spend little (if any) time thinking about how to prevent climate change or reduce global inequality... Anyone who wants to change the behaviour of billions of people must focus on reshaping the context in which individual decisions are made... [R]apid cultural change requires not just personal and political action, but also personal actions that make political action easi ...more
Susan Austin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I agreed with most of the arguments and sentiments of this book. I found the reflections on technological change and shifts in employment fascinating. I think he was too short on examples of how things could look different, and while he mentions there are lots of places in the world leading the way he doesn’t give any detail. He made one mention of co-operatives but again no fleshing out of these models and he disparaged socialism at one point, then left the door open at another. Really he was b ...more
Tony
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to Net Galley for the arc and for Mr. Denniss for writing the book. I would like to once again request to the Good Reads team that they offer up a half star option. Please. 3.5 stars on this book.

Having read the book Affluenza, I was fully aware of the definitions of the issue and I knew what this book would mostly be about...or so I thought. I was pleasantly surprised to have this be a much more global culture shifts and social psychology. The book that coined the term focused mostly on
Andrew Roberts
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
A sometimes repetitious writing style and lack of clear direction in parts keeps me from giving a five-star rating, but the ideas that Denniss presents are powerful and an oh-so-refreshing counter to the dominant economic ideas in Australian society and politics. I have already been spurred to take action on local issues as a result of reading this book!

May many more read it and take hold of the notion that change is indeed possible on many levels and in relation to many issues, but only if peo
Nick Harris
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The hyperbolic title really says it all, although focuses too much on the individual
Julia Tutt
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting and so I don't think I took all of it in but the main points of the book are:
- bottled water
-materialism v consumerism and the encouragement of materialism
-the effect of symbolism when consuming
- climate change
-interaction of culture with the economy and government
- the economy being described as a massive amount of choices and decisions being made around the world.
- individual choices = culture
-the future is totally unpredictable.

I found the start quite preac
Tyson Adams
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.”*

Richard Denniss' Curing Affluenza seeks to define the problems our current consumerist society has and how to address it. He posits that we need to abandon consumerism and opt instead for materialism if we have any chance of changing the shape of our economy, which will, in turn, allow us to address issues like climate change and environmental degradation.

For many years now I've been a fan of R
Monica
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
As a Millennial, the warnings about climate change and the destruction of the world we live have been a constant background for my whole life. Sometimes I try to assuage my feelings of helplessness and rage by reading books like this one.

Curing Affluenza has a simple thesis - if we loved the stuff we already owned, we would spend the time and effort to repair and maintain it instead of buying new stuff that we don't need and thereby saving the environmental and human resources that go into crea
Sophie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
From bottled water, to climate change, Dennis provides a witty, hopeful and inspiring account of the way forward to curing our collective case of nation-wide affluenza. Denniss aims to de-mystify the neo-liberal values that encompass an overwhelming amount of political rhetoric, arguing with sharp wit that participating in wasteful patterns of consumption to supposedly keep the economy strong ‘makes as much sense as sacrificing a goat to appease the gods’.

Denniss reaches the conclusion that it
Joano
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Affluenza, as described in this book is about people buying and then throwing away what they bought without really holding onto it for a long time. Buying useless items for the sake of shopping, causing environmental issues such as adding waste or striping natural resources to make this item.

The book suggests ways on how each individual can review their spending- at the basic consumer level to our choices on who we vote into government in terms of how our tax dollars should be spent.

I found this
Viti
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking whilst using simple metaphorical illustrations to get his message through to the reader; whatever their professional background.

The author's description of the differences between "consumerism" and "materialism" in particular struck a chord; as were the references to differences in cultures around the world and modern culture in itself.

I found the discussion on GDP and how ineffective it can be as a measure to be eye-opening (ie the size of GDP versus the shape of GDP)

Personall
Sophie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and thought-provoking. Very big-picture, focusing on economics and how changing culture is as important as changing legislation when it comes to curing the current desire to accumulate more and more material goods, with interesting ideas on changing the way we think about things like tax, GDP, politics and community engagement.
Ita
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Do you suffer from affluenza? Richard explains it this way: 'Affluenza is that strange desire we feel to spend money we don't have to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't know...'.

Some good ideas but I didn't agree with all of his suggestions. It definitely made me think and it is an interesting book. It took me a while to read it as it can be quite dry and academic at times.
Martha Birch
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The subject and arguments were well researched but after finishing the book I wanted a short list of changes I could make in my life as there was so much information in the book I got lost in the detail. The chapter titles could have been clearer too
Emma (M)
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This wasn’t quite what I was expecting. The author is from the far left and I’m pretty sure he’d be a card-carrying member of the Greens Party; he definitely has a political agenda in this book. That being said, I found some of his points interesting and food for thought.
Suz Bysouth
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Looks at how culture can shape the economy and how the individual's buying power can be used for good. A little dry at times (economics doesn't ordinarily interest me) but is written in a way that makes it accessible.
Grace
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish this was required reading in all high schools and for every aspiring politician. Clearly and easily explained. Great, clear metaphors used. Easy language to follow. Lots of international examples used.
Holly
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking read. Makes you consider the impact of your actions. A little repetitious at times.
Benjamin Farr
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A wonderful, easy-to-access look at the economics behind consumerism/capitalism and the consequences that culture and politics play when when we feel the need to buy/use/consume. Highly recommended.
Heather Iveson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read for getting my economic thoughts in order
Sean Finn
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book detailing the social problems we face in a long running and destructive era of consumerism. A book that I would recommend that all people read.
Jess
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-finished
DNF.
Some interesting ideas hidden under layers of repetition that I just couldn't power through.
Ietrio
Apr 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
A mystic's take on some simple economic processes. Not very creative either.
Romany
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was supposed to be hopeful, but made me sad. If we can’t blame the markets (because it’s culture that’s the issue) it’s still our fault.
Anna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and eye-opening, but a fair bit repetitive. Worth reading.
Roger
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Vote for greens seemed to be a big take-away message.
Not as useful/practical as I wanted...
Don't really think I'm suffering from Afflenza much anyway.
Arctic Firefox

• Trotsky: A Biography
  • The Daily Book of Art: 365 readings that teach, inspire & entertain
  • Deep Time Dreaming: Uncovering Ancient Australia
  • My Name is Girl: An Illustrated Guide to the Female Mind
  • Political Animal: The Making of Tony Abbott (Quarterly Essay #47)
  • Call of the Reed Warbler: A New Agriculture – A New Earth
  • The Golden Thread: How Fabric Changed History
  • Why We Can't Afford the Rich
Richard Denniss is the Chief Economist and former Executive Director of The Australia Institute. He is a prominent Australian economist, author and public policy commentator, and a former Adjunct Associate Professor in the Crawford School of Public Policy at the Australian National University in Canberra, Australia. Dr Denniss was described by Mark Kenny in the Sydney Morning Herald as "a constant ...more
“Keynes once wrote: ‘The day is not far off when the economic problem will take the back seat where it belongs, and the arena of the heart and the head will be occupied or reoccupied, by our real problems of life and of human relations, of creation and behaviour and religion.” 0 likes