Start by marking “Burning Cold (Cara Walden Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Burning Cold (Cara Walden Mystery #2)

Burning Cold

(Cara Walden Mystery #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Budapest: 1956. Newlywed Cara Walden’s brother Zoltán has disappeared in the middle of the Hungarian revolution, harboring a deadly wartime secret. Will Cara or the Soviets find him first?

Cutting short her honeymoon in Paris to rescue a sibling she’s never met was not Cara’s idea, but her husband Jakub has a reckless streak, and she is too much in love to question his judg
Kindle Edition
Published September 12th 2017 by Passport Press

To ask other readers questions about Burning Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Cold

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Burning Cold (Cara Walden Mystery #2)
Jeffrey Keeten
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hollywood, hungarians
”Lost souls, all of them.

We were there in 1956, when the Soviets came back crushed the Hungarian revolution. Fleeing the country in a borrowed Skoda sedan the color of dried blood, we passed scores of refugees escaping to the West. Some rode in carts piled with belongings but most walked, carrying a suitcase or two, small children trudging alongside the adults on the muddy roads. Hungarians held no illusions about their fate when order was restored. They’d been ‘liberated’ once before by the Rus
Jim
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Burning Cold is the second installment of Lisa Lieberman's Cara Walden mystery series. Like the first – All The Wrong Places – it is a period piece, this time taking us to 1956 Budapest (and environs) during the brutal Soviet put-down of the Hungarian revolution. Lieberman has a wonderful talent for bringing other times and places to life, and does so once again without for a second losing track of the story: a desperate search to find Cara's Hungarian half-brother before the counter-revolutiona
Cathy
According to the book description, the film version of Graham Greene’s The Third Man was the inspiration for this historical thriller. Set mainly in post-war Budapest, it certainly has the intrigue and noir feel of The Third Man but I struggled to find many other connections although I admit it’s many years since I watched the film or read the book. What this does mean is lack of familiarity with The Third Man needn’t mar your enjoyment of Burning Cold.

Burning Cold is the second book featuring C
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again as I read another of Lisa Lieberman’s books, I was seeing the story unfold in black and white. When I read All the Wrong Places, the first book in the Cara Walden Mystery series, I was so engrossed in the story that it took me back….and I saw the world in black and white. And Burning Cold had that same effect on me….again I was engrossed in Cara’s life and the story taking her, her brother Gray, and her new husband, Jakub, to another area surrounded by war, fighting, and secrets.

Burning Co
Annie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Set during the Hungarian revolution in 1956 and the immediate Soviet response, this is a beautifully written piece of historical narrative fiction. Budapest and the surrounding country are so perfectly described that I could visualize them and found myself swept away by the pace and plotting.

It's rare to find an author who is so gifted writing descriptive prose. I really felt completely immersed in the story. I was engaged with the characters and really hoping everything would work out in the en
Bonnye Reed
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GN I received a free electronic copy of this historical novel from Netgalley, Lisa Lieberman, and Passport Press in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work with me.

Though it is completely stand alone, this is a sequel to Lisa Lieberman's novel All the Wrong Places. We travel with the same people into Budapest in 1956, between the first and second wave of Russian soldiers intent on crushing the Hungarian revolution. Cara and Grey Walden are on a mission to rescue
Gary Bonn
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want immersion in excellently researched fiction - here is a gem. Well written characters, set appropriately into their contemporary culture, a story line that includes scenes (actual and taken from eye-witnesses), that you will never forget, means it really doesn't get better than this.

Have you ever walked across a square or entered a place of worship and wondered what it would be like, emotionally, to witness events there? Here you have it.

You also encounter unique situations which chal
william dix
Aug 22, 2017
sunil Kumar
Sep 09, 2017
Xinathun
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2017
Peggy
Sep 14, 2018
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Jul 06, 2017
Lisa Lieberman
Jul 15, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Pamela green
Nguyen quang Viet
Diane
SD
Sep 15, 2017
I can date my desire to become a writer to the day I read a poem entitled "What" by Stephen Dunn. I was twenty years old and the closing stanza stopped me in my tracks:

people die between birthdays and go on for years;
what stops things for a moment
are the words you've found for the last bit of light
you think there is

Pretty much says it all.

Cara Walden Mystery (3 books)
  • All the Wrong Places (Cara Walden Mystery, #1)
  • The Glass Forest (Cara Walden Mystery, #3)

News & Interviews