Start by marking “Unbreak My Heart” as Want to Read:
Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart

(Unbreak My Heart #1)

Brett Taylor has been doing just fine living in his little world of grief and pain for the past three years—thank you very much. Losing someone special is life changing, and Brett doesn't understand why everyone and their damn dog thinks they can get all up in his business about moving on. He's accepted his job going from musician to rancher without relying on anyone else' ...more
Audiobook, 2nd Edition, 11 pages
Published June 28th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published August 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Unbreak My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbreak My Heart

Gigi
Reread Sept. 2017 Ready for the sequel!

Second edition coming August 5, 2016! Check out the new cover at Gay Book Reviews. Big improvement and Brett looks perfect!

Re-read Feb. 2016 - Comfort re-read!

OK, if I had a shelf titled Over-The-Top-Sticky-Sweet-M/M-Romance-In-The-Best-Possible-Way that is where this book would live. Unbreak My Heart is off-the-charts romantic and had two MCs I absolutely adored. I cried during the first 10 pages of this book, while reading a letter MC Brett had written to
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

I never give more than 4 stars to books in the romance genre, but this one is damn near perfect. Well written, a little angsty, but ultimately redeeming, this one will shatter your heart a little and then piece it together again.

Brett is mourning the death of his partner and soaking his sorrows in guilt and whiskey. He used to be somebody; now, he's a broken-down cowboy living on a ranch that's seen better days with only his gruff foreman and (occasionally) feisty mama for company.

Ent
Sheziss
***DNF 27%***

Dissenting opinion ahead!

Well, this is painful. This book is a re-edition and the previous version was flooded with shining reviews and lots of swooning. I expected lots of swooning from my part, too. I was ready for it. But that didn’t happen. In fact, the book required a big effort from me to keep reading.

I was bored to tears.

It’s not that I have something definite to blame for the fail. There is no pet peeve exactly, not a tangible reason I can point to. It’s just this tedious w
Shile
2.5 stars for the book.

5 stars for the Audio, Nick J. Russo's narration prevented this book from being a dnf.

I believe IT is ME! not the book! so many of my GR friends loved this, i summed it up to, if i read it when it was first published the results would have been different. I guess my tastes have changed.

I liked some parts of the story like the letters Brett wrote to Walt those ones broke my heart,they were sweet, sad and depressing.

The first 4 hours were a snooze fest and i found myself z
Bev
***Audio review. This was absolute no-brainer for me. One of my favourite romantic stories AND one of my favourite narrators collaborating...result?? A TOTAL WIN-WIN!! Nick J Russo is really good at voices [other narrators please take note - not mentioning any names, but please at least try to sound interested even if you're not], pacing and emotion...he sounded happy himself reading this one, and I can only hug K-Lee [if I ever get to meet her] for using a really good narrator as opposed to a ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Feel free to examine my head because I didn't love this book like the rest of my GR friends.

In all honesty, I really enjoyed the first half. I was willing to go along for a super slow burn romance, and those letters.... OH MY GOD, they damn near killed me. I swear, I sobbed along with each one. But when at 50% the plot seemed to still be going in circles, I checked out a little bit.

I'll also admit that cowboys are one of my least favorite themes in M/M. I honestly don't know why that is becaus
Macky
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Well shucks, I think I died and went to cowboy heaven with this gorgeous love story. Sooo romantic but never sloppy, sweet but not sickly, gentle and tender with a slow burn but never dragging or boring, enough angst to engage your feelings but in a realistic way and emotionally charged, but never in the way that felt dramatised to the point where you felt overly bombarded. Honestly I think this was pretty much the perfect love story!

There are five major players in this. Four in the flesh and
Kaje Harper
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-reread, m-m
An older guy who lost his partner is still grieving, when he meets a younger guy who breaks through to his heart - so familiar a plot, and yet so full of potential. Romance is a genre with a lot of well-used tropes and there is nothing wrong with that. The key is all in how they are handled, and for me, this book got it right.

This began as a four-star read. But I was sucked deeper and deeper in, and in the end had to give it five stars for the way I really felt Brett's grief, his indecision and
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts!

This was a classic second chance romance made all the better by having it feature a likeable, brooding cowboy and the young stranger who captures his heart.

Brett has been wallowing in grief and guilt over the death of his partner 3 years ago. He’s functional but barely, often drowning his sorrows in good ole Jack Daniels. When his overbearing, meddling mom brings home a guy she found on the highway, Brett is none too happy nor impressed.

JT hasn’t really had it easy either. He’s long bee
Susan
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Admittedly, this book has some of my favorite storylines: older man/younger man, grieving widower, cowboys, quirky family. So, no brainer…I was already sold on it before I even started.

Brett Taylor…there’s something about Brett, everything about Brett…that I just wanted/needed to love. His pain, his attempts to drown his sorrows, how he copes, how he feels – I wanted him to find his joy, to find love again.

In walks JT…JT hadn’t had it easy either. He worked hard and ran away to get to a
Gina
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys, m-m, favorites
This gets a big satisfying sigh out of me!  photo brlove_zps506b9d72.gif
This is the story of an man (Brett) still grieving after the death of his partner three years ago. Brett cannot move on, racked with guilt over the circumstances of his partners death and the hole in his heart that just won’t close. Brett is closed up and angry and spends a number of nights drunk and pouring out his emotions in letters to his beloved. Then one night his meddlesome mother brings him a young man (JT) needing work and a place to stay, she
Debra
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debra by: Will Parkinson
This was a good, slow building, hurt/comfort romance. Brett is still torn by grief for the lover he lost years ago. He has withdrawn to his ranch and is really just going through the motions and self-medicating with booze. Thanks to his meddling mother, the younger JT arrives at the ranch, seemingly lost and a bit broken, but ready to work until he feels the need to move on.

What follows is a slow building friendship and attraction as JT, with the help of the ranch foreman Ray, starts to bring B
Karen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars rounded down to 4 because...you guessed it...still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

Tissues were required for this one...

While K-lee Klein's not exactly a new to me author 'Unbreak My Heart' is the first novel that I've read and really I'm just wondering...what the hell was I thinking taking so long to enjoy one of her novels...ok, I admit it was once again a case of so many books, so little time and thank heavens for audio books and Nick J. Russo because once again he's done a superb job wit
Jewel
So here's the thing -- I really wanted to love Unbreak My Heart, and I thought the first half of the story, in spite of it being utterly depressing, was pretty good. After that point, though, the story felt really disjointed. I alternated between really liking it and finding it tiresome. Overall, I liked the story well enough. Mostly. I liked the characters. Mostly. And I loved the slow burn of the romance. The letters tore my heart from my chest and I wanted to cry with each one that I read. Th ...more
.Lili.
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

Unbreak My Heart by K-lee Klein broke my heart and healed it back together. This book started off pretty depressing. Brett is still grieving for his partner when his mom strong arms him into taking in JT. He can’t say no to his momma. What ensues is a moving story of healing and love.

My highlights:

-The main characters. They’re well rounded, and I loved that as the story progressed, each character grew individually and as a couple.
-The angst. This book’s depiction of loss and grieving felt realis
Renée
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
This was a surprising gem. Brett is a former country star who lost his partner 3 years ago and continues to wallow in grief during his current life on a ranch. JT is a Masters graduate who doesn't really know what he wants to do with life, and who's been drifting from town to town for a while.

Theirs is one of a slow friendship, slow attraction, and slow burn romance.

"I'd like to wait, Ray, but waiting's hard when you don't know if the one you want actually wants you to wait."

This was a really
Truuss
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2016
Brett and JT..
Brett is mourning for over three years when his mum brings him a new young strong employee...JT
Captivating story, slow, in the beginning a little physical tension. Very detailed described.
There is a barn with some secrets in it. Which weighs heavily on Brett
The many conversations really make sense.
But it was soooo restrained. I wanted some firework.
At 50 % there were some hot passages
It is a slow story but It's really going somewhere.
The build-up is solid and steady and the dialog
Tina

I loved this one! Slow building hurt/comfort romances just do it for me. This one is very emotional, focused on healing a broken heart, moving on and finding a home.

Brett, the owner of a ranch somewhere in Texas is still grieving for his lover he lost a few years ago. He is self medicating with booze and writing his dead lover heart-breaking letters about missing him. When his mother Millie finds JT, a young guy, alongside the road and asks her son to take him in and put him to work, things sta
Catherine
This book is a total a gem. It had fantastic characters, genuine emotion and struggle, and dialogue that resonated. It was... quietly lovely and authentic.

Full (gushing) review to come.

Warning: the words "suckle" and "moist" DO appear in the text. ("Flutter" does too, but I give that one a pass since the author was talking about stomach muscles and not... other muscles).
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.5 Stars

I don't know if it was the folksy language (that didn't read as genuine to this actual Southerner) distracting me and pulling me out of the story or what...but, while I did enjoy this tale of love, loss and redemption, I wasn't wowed by it.

If anything it solidified my dislike of song lyrics/poetry taking up space in the book. Sure, it got across some of the emotions and feelings, but that had already been largely accomplished in telling the tale. It seemed superfluous. And annoying.

Also
Silkeeeeeereads
4.5 COUNTRY STARS

A crusty cowboy, an interfering momma, a crusty ranch foreman and a younger man from California are tossed in a colorful, emotional salad of grief, hope and love with a large dose of humor thrown in. The reason for 4.5 instead of 5 stars? I didn't quite believe TJ's voice. He sounded a bit more country than a California 28 year old would sound and a lot less educated. Otherwise, loved this story.
Bitchie
Emotional and VERY romantic. A couple minor editing mistakes, but not enough to get on your nerves. Slow burn relationship that played all the emotional beats and never felt rushed.

I really want to hear Brett's music.
Leaundra
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. There were some parts that broke my heart. Brett and JT were perfect for each other. This was their journey to finding love with each other.
Pianka *call me PIU*
Dang!!! Cowboys + M/M : I am feeling like a “pig in shit”!!!

This book was just too good. It made me cry and laugh and at the end I was in seventh heaven. Sweetest cowboy romance ever. The start broke my heart and had me bawling but the end pieced it back together. It was emotionally charged without being too angsty. The way the heartache and loss was dealt here was just beautiful. This book has the most polite and heart achingly sweet and wonderful cowboy ever. And that accent did something to m
Whitney
I was hooked by the premise, but this book just turned out to be okay. It had my biggest romance writing pet peeve in it and it soured the book for me a bit.

I hate the “meddling friends and family members” trope with the power of a thousand suns. I even hate it more than insta-love. At least with insta-love, it can be done well and there are many exceptions to the rule. And if it’s a well-rounded story, insta-love doesn’t really seem that instant or there are other elements to the story that mak
Smith Barney
SO see the dramatic cover photo. That was me reading this book from boredom... I could not stomach the MC's LONG f'ing HAIR or his intoxicated-melancholic twang one page longer..and Millie the meddling mother..ugh. No can do.
Chappy
Slow burn and very romantic. I found it a bit slow at first..kind of stuck in Brett's pain.

When he starts opening up to JT, it gets pretty sweet and hot.
Santy
3.5 Stars

Once again, Nick J.Russo narrated the hell out of this book. He’s slowly becoming a “must listen” for me and boy do I like it when that happens!

This was a book about overcoming grief,self discovery, new beginnings and learning how to love again. Brent was going through some next level grief while TJ was lost and hoping to find himself. On the surface, these two shouldn’t have worked but they did. They absolutely did.

Obviously, it wasn’t an easy road & wasn’t devoid of outside int
BWT (Belen)
3.5 Stars

Brett lost his partner and is drowning his sorrows at the bottom of a whiskey bottle. When Brett's meddling Mama brings a guy she picked up from the side of the road to Brett's ranch, Brett agrees to give the guy a job.

JT is missing direction in his life. Working at the ranch seems like a good stop-gap measure, and it's a bonus that he finds Brett attractive.

Bless Nick J. Russo's narration because he's what kept me going for this one. I'm sorry, but I just did not find this to be a very
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Chase the Storm
  • Love, Like Water
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2)
  • Wishing for a Home (Home, #3)
  • Splinters
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • The Return (The Austin Trilogy, #2)
  • Cowboy Waltz (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana related)
  • Lorcan's Desire (Whispering Pines Ranch, #1)
  • A Wild Ride (The Bullriders, #1)
  • Bullheaded
  • Sole Support
  • After the End
  • Cowboys Down
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • The Terms of Release (The Release #1)
K-lee Klein loves guys with long hair and tattoos, and you’ll often find her front and center at her favorite rock concerts. She has bounced around Western Canada all her life, but will always consider the solitude and beauty of the British Columbian mountains home. Her life is blessed as the proud mother of three now-grown but still spoiled kids, the servant of two bossy felines, and the wife of ...more

Unbreak My Heart (5 books)
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • Unwrapped Hearts (Unbreak My Heart #3)
  • Unwanted Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #4)
  • Unbridled Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #5)