Start by marking “Dead Cold (Emily Stone, #6)” as Want to Read:
Dead Cold (Emily Stone, #6)

Dead Cold

(Emily Stone #6)

Every Emily Stone Thriller is a stand-alone novel.

From the multi-award winning series:

What happens when one California community has a disturbing spike in homicides? It catapults cops into a deadly game of murder. Frozen human body parts hideously displayed at the crime scenes offers a horrifying interpretation that only a sadistic serial killer could design—and execute.
Published July 2nd 2017 by JEC Press (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Cold

Cheryl
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first introduction to Emily Stone and this series. My first impression was a great experience. I will be checking out the prior novels in this series. What I liked a lot about this book is that I felt like I got the best parts as I missed all of the logistics of getting to know Emily and the rest of the team. It felt natural and I was able to ease into the dynamics of everyone and their working relationship. For example, I felt the chemistry between Emily and Rick. I did not question ...more
Sherry Fundin
WHOA. Why haven’t I read any Jennifer Chase and Emily Stone? I cannot say how excited I am now remedying that! Intense from the very beginning. The writing went where I wasn’t expecting and I love it. I can hardly wait to see what other surprises await me.

I took a break from murderous mayhem and serial killers, for a short while. All the books started to run together, but I felt right at home when I began reading Dead Cold by Jennifer Chase. Made me wonder why I ever took a break.

Emily and her p
Anjana
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written plot. This was my first in the Emily stone series and I definitely adored it. The main two characters Emily the protagonist and Jess the serial killer are potrayed very well. Emily the undercover crime investigator who gives her full to any case she takes up, having only one aim - to reduce crime in the city. Jess the victim of physical and mental torture.
The plot starts with four different lives, one Emily and her friends, one the investigating police officers, third the serial k
Laura Thomas
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like to go into a book cold, not knowing a whole lot about the plot. It wasn’t long before I figured out this isn’t the first book in the series. No worries though. I got an idea of who was who and how they connected as I continued reading.

Told from four different points of view, this kept things interesting and the story fast paced. The character’s have strong voices, making them easy to identify.

The only thing I was left wondering about was how Emily and her partner, Rick, were able to survi
books are love
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My heart was in my throat at the end of this book. It was fast paced, thrilling, action packed, dangerous and we see a new take on the case that Emily and Rick take on. Emily, Rick and Jordan once again capture you in this fast paced thriller and Detective Starr with his friend Eddie really have you warm up to them to in this riveting thriller.

Here Emily and Rick start with a case in the past that has the girl’s life change. She now is in criminal justice for a degree and determined to thank th
Darryl Greer
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Chase’s "Dead Cold" is the sixth of her Emily Stone thrillers, with a seventh in the pipeline. Emily and her partner Rick Lopez are ex law enforcement officers who’ve decided that rather than deal with the humdrum of everyday law enforcement, with its highs and lows — thrills and spills one minute, acute boredom the next — they’d ditch the routine and become 24/7 thrill-a-minute good guys, superheroes almost, tracking down villains, solving crimes, leaving the local cops to claim the gl ...more
Gayle Pace
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT I THINK: BEWARE: Frozen body parts. That made you perk up, didn't it? Well this is a stand alone book, book six, but you will find yourself wanting to read more of the Emily Stone thrillers. We have a serial killer that will put you on the edge of your chair. Not only that but the hairs on your arms may stand up a bit. If you are a little squeamish, you might want to re-think reading this one. Your heart will start to beat faster, you may get a little paranoid that this could really happen ...more
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
You can find all of my reviews on my blog at That's What She's Reading .

I'm just going to start off by saying, WHERE HAS THIS SERIES BEEN ALL MY LIFE!?! Wow! I'm a huge fan of serial killer stories, so I was definitely intrigued after reading the synopsis and this book completely delivered! I'm now adding all the previous books to my TBR and can't wait to get started from the beginning!

This is an exciting and intense thriller that is told from multiple perspectives, so that each adds layers to
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B073PNM22F
Reviewed For NetGalley and JEC Press
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.75 Stars

Emily Stone is on the hunt for a serial killer that is leaving frozen body parts at crime scenes. A Private Detective who works to get the worst criminals along with her unique team.
Diane
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dead Cold By author Jennifer Chase brings the reader another Emily Stone murder. Emily and Rick find themselves on more rescue missions and then a puzzling case of piecing together the mystery of frozen body parts being left in park areas.
In the opening of this book there is a flashback to when Emily made a watery rescue of 13 year old Kayla Swanson from being held on a boat by a kidnaper and abuser.
Next Emily and Rick are on another covert mission to rescue little Ana from horrible kidnappers
Book Him Danno
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This the first I have read by Jennifer Chase and while I was told it is a stand alone I felt lost when certian characters are introduced but not enough information given causing this reader to get lost.

Dead Cold is a non stop action thriller that will keep readers on the edge of their seat that doesn't take prisoners. The story starts off with a kidnapper rescues that readers can only question how the heck did they make it out alive.
From there the story only keeps on going with the same speed w
Janet
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love a good, bone-chilling tale than this is the book for you! I give Dead Cold by Jennifer Chase a Huge 5 Teacups, this one will keep you up all night and you're gonna need lots of caffeine! In a quiet, California community where life revolves around work, school activities and shopping, a series of murders begins. Body parts are found frozen and displayed in a way more chilling than anything detective Emily Stone has ever seen. She soon gathers her team, including Detective Danny Star w ...more
Ashley Dawn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. This is my first Emily Stone book, but it won't be the last. The fact that it is already in a series didn't affect the reading experience at all. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything (I am going to go back and read previous books!). The author's imagery in the prologue was great and hooked you from the start. There is action and it is a book you just won't want to put down.

I loved that Emily was a kick butt chick with smarts. Her team just meshes. The covert
Jannelies
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for this book.

I’ve really enjoyed the book, although this was my first one in the series. What I missed was a bit more backgroudn information. Who is Jordan? He is ex-FBI, but apparently he’s known Emily for a long time and Rick it not too happy about that.
It is a good book with a nice plot, lots of action and suprises, but the writing lacks a bit of finesse for me. It is often not very smooth, in describing people and action. I would have liked to see somewhat more differe
Margaret Tidwell
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FTC: I received a free copy of this book from Pump Up Your Book in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are one hundred percent true and my own.

Dead Cold by Jennifer Chase was a good book. It actually reminded of the “King and Maxwell” books that David Baldacci wrote. I loved those books so when this book reminded me of that series this book had a lot to live up too. I am happy to say that it did live up to what I hoped it woul
Laurie Beemer
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Chase has done it again, this Emily Stone thriller is just the next thrilling installment; even better than the others in this series. The story is full of suspense, thrills, and shocking twists. Emily along with her boyfriend and coworker Rick are two people that believe wrongs need to be righted no matter if they risk themselves in the process. Their relationship is amazing and strong through all that they have been through. Their story is intense and hair raising; using their own ski ...more
Aly
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
First of all, I love this books cover! It caught my attention right away! But it is more important what is behind the cover and this book was great! A sadistic serial killer, frozen body parts, detective Emily Stone is on the case. What a tough case it is but does detective Emily Stone have enough profiling skills and forensic expertise to catch this killer. What an exciting book! I was on the edge of my seat my whole book! * I received this book free from Netgalley and this is my honest review*
Nancy Silk
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
"Not As Good As I Expected"

The previous Emily Stone thriller I really loved. It was certainly entertaining. But this one, just could not grab me. Emily seems a little extreme in her quest for hunting criminals. In this story the sadistic villain kills his victims and then cuts them into body parts. I was disappointed in the numerous repeating statements throughout the novel and extensive descriptions during action scenes. It sent me a message that the author was just wanting to fill more pages w
C. Gonzales
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
First of all, that blurb completely drew me in. I was pleasantly surprised by the way Jennifer Chase was able to keep me on my toes.

I loved the fact that this was a Thriller, but the author was able to create real emotion and have the reader tap into that. The main characters is very strong and easy to love.

I love reading thrillers and trying to figure out what could possibly come next. Jennifer Chase has really created an imaginative thriller that has plenty of twists and surprises.
Karin H Hughes
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Routine

Not much different than most books of this ilk. All characters were stereotypical and too perfect to be believable. The detective was really boring. I especially take issue with gun battles where the hero shoots straight only at the end. Emily could not come close in the lab but in the woods she shot between the eyes. I couldn't figure the need for the undeveloped teenage character who was saved at the beginnng of the book. I gave an average rating because I finished.
Gina Stamper
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
A solid Thriller Novel. The premise is unique, which made me excited to read it just from the synopsis. This is one of those stories that will start off with a bang and not let up until the very last page. It really keeps on a great pace throughout.
Jennifer Chase has really created an imaginative thriller that has plenty of twists and surprises I was wondering how it would all unfold and end. Chase definitely managed to keep me on the edge and invested until the very end.
Samantha Turley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: triller, thriller
Wow, this one really delivers in many areas. It is a thrilling novel with teeth. Yes, it took a bit of catching up to understand what was going on, but once in the heart of it, Jennifer Chase has the reader hooked.
As far as Characters, Plot, and Flow, everything was very well developed and smooth.
This novel was a great escape from reality as well as a quick and easy read
Martha Brindley
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another great book in the Emily Stone series. Book 6 and still as riveting as book 1. There is high speed action from the first page and it never lets up. Good realistic characters, fast paced, a plot that keeps your attention to the end and a stand alone plot. I would recommend this series of books. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Bailey Ember
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, thriller
Real and Vivid. I liked the way that Jennifer Chase wove her tale.

Characterization was huge in this novel. The characters were all very well developed and had their own motivations and faults. It made them seem more real to me as the reader.

I also really liked the flow of this novel. It felt very smooth.

A Crime novel that really delivers the mystery.
Barbara
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Love the Emily Stone series. Keep writing them Jennifer. She weaves a good story at the same time not making the heroine into some super woman that ignores all protocol. Her affection for her partner comes through without the normal pussyfooting around not telling each other. It is like a twist it is so refreshing.
Arlene Sanders
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't want to put it down kept you on edge of your sseat

Good story good outburst read interesting intriguing suspense will definitely buy more of her books thanks keep up the great writing
Heather
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
While the plot was intriguing, the grammar was terrible. It was painful to finish this book because of the bad writing, but the story was good enough that I finished it anyway. This is a writer that could benefit from a (very patient) editor so that we can fully enjoy her storytelling.
Kelly Coleman
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the Emily Stone stories

The story kept me interested, I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the next one. Although Emily acts all tough she's a softie. Enjoy the character's.
Peggy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wished I could give this book more than 5 stars! Captivating! Tense! On edge of your seat read!!! Don't pass this book by! This book is very well written. You will find yourself finishing it in no time. This author has amazing skill when it comes to telling a story!
Wancket Enterprises
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

A very exciting thriller! This is the first book I have read by this author but it won't be the last. Great job Jennifer Chase.
  • Louisiana Fever
  • Devil in the Dark
  • The Unseen
  • Shadow of Vengeance (CORE Shadow Trilogy, #3)
  • Webs of Fate (Book 1 of the Webs Series)
  • Trans-Siberian Express
  • The Faith of Barack Obama
  • High Child (Red-Line, #5)
  • The Angel & the Brown-Eyed Boy
  • Love Letters from God: Bible Stories for a Girl’s Heart
  • Lady Blues: Forget-Me-Not  (LeGarde Mystery #10)
  • Come Hell or High Water (The Water Trilogy #3)
  • Friends 2 Lovers: The Unthinkable (Volume 1)
  • Stopped Cold
  • Undying Love (Secrets of Roseville Book 1)
  • The New Illuminati Part 1
  • Goodnight, Brian
  • Death Comes to Lake Como (Back Bay Investigation #3)

Jennifer Chase is a multi award-winning author and consulting criminologist. She has authored eight crime fiction novels, including the multiple award-winning Emily Stone thriller series along with a screenwriting workbook.

Jennifer holds a Bachelor degree in police forensics

Emily Stone (7 books)
  • Compulsion (Emily Stone, #1)
  • Dead Game (Emily Stone, #2)
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone, #3)
  • Dead Burn (Emily Stone, #4)
  • Dark Pursuit (Emily Stone, #5)
  • Emily Stone Boxed Set (Emily Stone, #1-3)