Start by marking “The Second Captive” as Want to Read:
The Second Captive

Read Book* *Different edition

The Second Captive

A gripping psychological thriller

Eighteen-year-old Beth Sutton is abducted and held prisoner in a basement. Dependent on her captor for everything, Beth slowly starts to build a relationship with the man responsible for her imprisonment.

But her abductor is guilty of more than just kidnap  and she has the evidence to prove it.

When she escapes from the basement Beth’s tou

Published July 4th 2017 by Bloodhound Books (first published November 24th 2014)

Deanna
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological tendency in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors. At times the "love" they feel can even lead to them defending their captor.

I've always been interested in Stockholm syndrome. We see it mentioned often in cases of kidnappings. However, it can also be present in any type of abusive relationship and even used to describe an animal who stays with an abusive owner.

The Second Captive is
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
The latest book from British author Maggie James is exceptionally well done. This psychological thriller will ease it's way into your psyche and stay there, a book to not only read and enjoy but become totally immersed in.

From the moment I started reading until the very end I was riveted. Turn off the phone, forget to eat, take quick toilet trips and ignore everybody around me. That's how it was for me. I was in book world with this one, lost in the plot, the characters and the atmosphere. I fe
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Eighteen year old Beth Sutton is thrilled when she meets a slightly older (very handsome) man named Dominic who seems to take an interest in her. Things are home are tense, and her father is putting a lot of pressure on her to decide what to do after she graduates.

What starts off as a seemingly normal relationship quickly turns sinister when Dominic invites Beth to his house for a fancy home-cooked meal, but instead traps her in his basement and tells her she’ll never escape.

What Dominic is look
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)

Linda Strong
Beth is 18-years-old and infatuated with an older man, Dominic. After a couple of date, Dominic kidnaps Beth and keeps her down in his basement for 2 years. He wants to 'train' her to be a companion and take care of him.

The first half of the book is Beth in the basement. There is so much repetition .. she rebels, he punishes until she finally understands what is expected of her.

The second part of the books describes how she escapes the basement and walks to her home where she is greeted by mom,
Christy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love psychological suspense and would like to know more about Stockholm Syndrome
This review is hard. Although what happened to me was quite different in many ways, this story hit a bit too close to home for my emotional comfort. Therefore, I almost didn't write one. But...this is an exceptional work of fiction, as I would only expect from Maggie James, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Finally, this copy was delivered to me free of charge, carrying a small request that I write an honest review.

This book was incredibly well written with considerable insigh
Petra
Told from multiple perspectives, The Second Captive portrays one family's journey as they come to grips with the daughter suffering from Stockholm Syndrome after having been held captive in a basement for two years. You hear the daughter's and the mother's points of view as well as the kidnapper's.
It is a fairly well written story that moves along at a nice pace and keeps you turning the pages, but it wasn't as thrilling, deep or dark as I had hoped for. I was waiting for some surprising twists
Michael
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beth is a young and naive 18 year old that does not have much going for her. While her demanding father wants her to get a job and actually support herself, her mother is content with her living her life. As the oldest sister of a brother, she is not her parents pride and joy as he is. Yet their family is normal if you take into the account of others who may not be living a noble life. However, when she meets Dominic Purdue, her idea life takes a sharp turn. Purdue is much older than her, but sh ...more
The Book Review Café
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at http://thebookreviewcafe.com

Review to follow soon
Susan Hampson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Well at 18 you pretty well know everything and Beth was no exception. After meeting dark haired Dominic she felt that she was ready to move on from the sort of boy she would normally go out with. She would leave alone the 18 year old lads that were her age and make a play for this 28 year old man, after all he did seem interested in her even when he found out the age gap. Wow had she got a night planned for him! And Wow had he got something a little longer planned for her!
I love Maggie James’s b
Mirjam
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark
He’ll shut me back in the basement if I do. For good.

The Second Captive is a tale about Stockholm Syndrome, told in two parts. Part one is the POVs of Beth, the captive, and Dominic, the captor. Part two from Beth's and her mother, Ursula's, POVs.

Beth manages to escape after two years of being held captive in Dominic's basement. Being taken at the young & naive age of just 18 she goes though a lot of emotions, anger, sadness, loneliness for missing her family very much and hate towards Domi
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Second Captive is a story that is told in two parts. The first half is told to us through Beth and Dominic whilst Beth is being held prisoner. The second half is told through Beth and her mum, Ursula, after Beth escapes.

Stockholm syndrome is certainly a fascinating topic and I think the author does a great job in helping the reader try to understand why someone being held captive would develop feelings for their captor.

Beth is just a young naive woman, who at eighteen, is really just startin
Elisa
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from the author and her publicist in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Maggie James!
The Second Captive is not about whether Beth Sutton will break free from her prison, since you know this from the beginning. Instead, its focus is on whether she will ever break the chains that tie her to her abductor, Dominic. The first part tells of her imprisonment, which leads back to the introduction and then involves her mother, who never gave up hope that she would return. Ev
Hannah
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I read this book in one straight run, I loved everything about it. I enjoyed that the chapters jumped back and fore between characters, I found myself.. Not exactly liking Dominic, but not exactly hating him either, almost understanding him. Was Amy/Anne the first captive? Or was it Dominic himself? Held captive by the memory of his father actions? I found myself pondering this for days after I'd finished because this isn't a book you read and immediately forget,
Terri Wino
Wow. This was one of the best psychological thrillers I've read in quite awhile. I have to admit I initially felt little sympathy for the character of Beth; part of me felt she was in a mess of her own making. Until I began to realize what an excellent manipulator Dominic was and, as the book progressed, how truly disturbed he was. However, just as you're at the point of writing him off as your cookie-cutter psycho, Maggie James is able to create a spark of sympathy for him. What complex charact ...more
Claire
The Second Captive is a psychological suspense story of kidnap, captivity and the aftermath of escape.

The first half is Beth's two years with Dominic. Beth starts dating the tall dark and handsome Dominic. He collects her for a date at his house but she never returns. He locks Beth in his basement and Beth has to follow his rules to earn privileges. Eventually she escapes but after two years Dominic has invaded her head, her every thought. The second half of the book is Beth trying to settle ba
Mark Tilbury
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After meeting Dominic Perdue and going on a few dates with him, Beth Sutton can’t believe her luck. But we soon learn that her luck is about to run out! After getting Beth to his cottage, Dominic imprisons her in his basement. Beth becomes reliant on him for everything. Dominic doesn’t believe he’s doing anything wrong. Beth is his companion and he is merely making amends for the past.

I really enjoyed this book. The development of the characters’ personalities and their relationships added to t
lil' princess
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never before have I felt so much for the Antihero, bad guy of a book.

Dominic is so tragically broken and in need of a soft touch that even when he is behaving badly I want to cuddle him while petting his hair and promising it will get better.

Beth, she is a fighter who holds onto not only hope but that fire for freedom.

This book will take you a twisty turny ride that ends at such a break neck speed that you might feel whiplash and you will thank Ms. James for the privilege of it all.
David Gilchrist
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another smash hit from this author. This book will probably be the best description and give understanding to the Stockholm Syndrome. A book with a great deal of despair, frustration and finally hope. I enjoyed the stories ending. I now look forward to reading more from this author.
Stephanie
This book reminded me of a really bad Lifetime movie.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
"Stockholm syndrome:  the psychological tendency of a hostage to bond with, identify with, or sympathize with his or her captor."
Bloodhound Books really knows how to pick good thrillers!  This one is no exception.  I've always been fascinated by Stockholm syndrome and the psychological manipulation from both captor and captive.  This novel really shows both sides of the equation.

Dominic has a disturbing childhood, being the victim of his father's abuse and also witnessing that same abuse on ot
Janel
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Second Captive is split into two parts: before the abduction and after the abduction, so I’m going to split my review into two parts – and you’ll clearly see which part I enjoyed more…

Part I – Before: I enjoyed part one, I thought it laid the foundation perfectly for part two by detailing how Beth’s captivity with Dominic played out – the abuse he reigned down on her wasn’t intense physically but so emotionally manipulative, truly psychological. This part is narrated by Beth and Dominic. Int
B.E.L.L.A.Mc
As another commentator has already said; boring and long winded.

I didn't like it. I didn't care for the story; it was too far fetched. The involvement of her mum was ludicrous. If you want to read a really good story like this try Claire Thompson's books. I didn't connect to any of the characters; they were too wooden. I prefer flesh on my bones.

Writing has to transport me to other places; not once did I feel myself anywhere in that cottage; certainly not once in the basement. I didn't connect
Kim BookJunkie
The premise and majority of this book deserved 5 stars yet there were times that I felt that the writing was a bit redundant and protracted. Overall, it's an enjoyable story and with additional editing, it would be phenomenal.
Donna Maguire

This is a really solid book that looks at the subject of emotional dependency through Stockholm Syndrome – a subject matter that has always fascinated me.  The book is written at an excellent pace, it slowly creeps forward leaving you knowing what will happen in the first part, just not when.  The pace for me was just ideal for the subject matter, it left me wondering how Beth would fair by the end of the book, how her family would get over the loss and he
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a psychological thriller but will also appeal to readers of contemporary fiction.

The main theme of the story is Stockholm Syndrome but there are many other psychological issues that are also examined in this book. Also discussed are dysfunctional families and sibling rivalry.

The book begins with Beth escaping (present) and then goes back to the events that lead to her captivity before returning to the present. The characters of Beth and Dominic are very realistic and Maggie makes an exce
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Massive thanks to Maxine at Booklover Catlady and Maggie James for my copy of this book!
Having not read any books by this author before I didn't really know what to expect but I was pleasantly ( if you can write that about a psychological thriller!!!!) surprised by this book!

The Second Captive follows Beth, an eighteen year old girl who is abducted and held by a man for two years. She subsequently escapes! This book goes between present day and the events of the two years she was held captive.
JudiAnne
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main theme in this novel is the Stockholm Syndrome but as we see the author delve into the characters it is obviously a study of the minds and hearts of each complex personality. They are all unique and come together to create a story that you simply cannot put down. Actually, it opens with an escape so there are no spoilers ahead.

Beth is 18 years old and ready to break free of her family in search of the perfect man. She meets Dominic and not only is she swept away with his extremely hands
Britney
How well do you really know someone? They could look harmless and be the nicest person, but underneath their facade they're cold and calculating. That's the case with Dominic Perdue. Believes what he does is the right thing and harmless.

Ms James introduces you a very dark man. What he witnessed as a child turns him upside down. He orchestrates a kidnapping of a teenager so he can force her to love him. It's the only way he can find love as he calls it.

The study about Stockholm Syndrome was wel
  • Relentess (Killer, #3)
  • Chosen Child
  • Guilt
  • GodBomb!
  • Humber Boy B (Cate Austin, #3)
  • Forced Submission
  • The Spider in the Corner of the Room (The Project, #1)
  • When She Was Bad
  • Dark Night of the Soul
  • Why Doesn't God Fix It? - Shining Eternal Light on the Darkness of Chronic Illness
  • The Stepmother
  • Mine 2 Uncut Version (Mine, #2)
  • The Vault (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)
  • Pretty When She Cries
  • All I Need (Stay, #2)
  • Into Thin Air
  • TAINT (The SNAP Trilogy #2)
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
Maggie James is a British author who lives near Newcastle-upon-Tyne. She writes psychological suspense novels.

Before turning her hand to writing, Maggie worked mainly as an accountant, with a diversion into practising as a nutritional therapist. Diet and health remain high on her list of interests, along with travel. Accountancy does not, but then it never did. The urge to pack a bag and go off t
“I’m not.’ How can I tell my mother I miss the man who held me captive?” 0 likes
“So Beth Sutton has big shoes to fill. It’ll take time for her to grow into them, adapt to what I’m asking of her, but she will. I’ve been waiting twenty-one years for her to keep me company. Tonight her new life will begin.” 0 likes