Start by marking “Probiotic Drinks at Home: Make Your Own Seriously Delicious Gut-Friendly Fermented Beverages” as Want to Read:

What’s the best thing you can do for your gut? Add probiotics!

Probiotics are the “good bacteria” that make their home in the microbiome of the gut—and good gut health means good overall health. That’s why probiotic-rich beverages like kombucha are widely recognized to confer numerous health benefits. Now, Probiotic Drinks at Home breaks down the science behind probiotics
Published March 20th 2018 by The Experiment

To ask other readers questions about Probiotic Drinks at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Probiotic Drinks at Home

Elaine -
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-book
Felicity Evans has created a comprehensive guide to fermented drinks that easily leads the reader through making their own at home. I liked that this book didn't have a lot of hard to find ingredients once you've gotten what you will need to ferment. So often books want you to source a scoby or kefir grains and some unheard of ingredients.

Felicity is known for her website Imbibe Living where you can buy what you need to start fermenting and find her blog with lots of helpful posts beyond what y
Andrea
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource to have on-hand, explaining what can go wrong and how to fix it, written by an author who has been fermenting for years. It also includes lots of delicious recipes with photography that will have readers licking their lips in anticipation!
Marzie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Anyone who has purchased storebought probiotics knows how expensive it is to get high colony forming unit products. One great solution to that problem is to make fermented food and beverages. While sauerkraut and kimchi might not be to everyone's taste, it's a sure bet that at least one of the fermented probiotic beverages in this book will be. This is an excellent book with crystal clear instructions
Crazy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, cookbooks
***Thanks to NetGalley for the book in an exchange for an honest review***

I have recently begun drinking Kombucha and kefir as a diary free way to improve my gut health. I love the variety that this book contains, but I will say that fermenting my own drinks is not for me. This has nothing to do with the author's instructions; I just found it to be too time-consuming and not for me personally.
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
While I like that she shows how to make things that might be "illegal" to buy in, say, Utah stores because there's a bit of alcohol in them, she doesn't always give enough information so you can be successful. The "ginger bug" I had to re-do because I think she left out just how warm things need to be when you mix the first batch. It didn't go moldy; it just didn't go anywhere, and I used organic ingredients. I think it would help to ask us to sterilize the jars before using them as well. I did ...more
Janet
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book --- as people who follow me know, I do not regurgitate what the book is about as that is what the description from the author and publisher at the top of the page are for.
This is a lovely little book with so much information in it. I love Kefir --- it's sour, slightly bubbly and so yummy. I had no idea it was so easy to make at home (I have already found a store to get some kefir grains in!)

The book also teaches one to make jun, kombu
S
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, non-fiction
I love kefir and kombucha, and I've picked up a few books about home fermentation, probiotics, and gut health. They all had recipes and different levels of instructions... but this is the first one that I felt really gave me enough details and information that I might be able to get started making my own stuff.

I have tried Kombucha, Kvass, and Jun, but I could not really have told you what the difference was between them all before now. She explains everything really well - How should it look,
Victoria Peipert
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well done book on a topic that can be frightening for the average "brewer". I've always loved the idea of experimenting with my own fermented drinks but the idea of living organisms and the ways it could all go wrong kept me from exploring. I feel like Felicity created a more inviting approach and a wealth of important information to get new brewers comfortable with the fermentation process. Overall, I think the body of work was also pretty comprehensive in its exploration of different ferm ...more
Justin
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fermentation
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

This book pretty much delivers what's on the tin; this is both its strength and its weakness.
I was hoping that the limited scope of this book would allow me to find new types of fermented drinks. While there was one new ferment, this book mostly focused on the usual kefirs, kombucha, etc. and mostly experimented with variations on each ferment. I am pretty good at figuring out what tastes good added to a drink so this wasn't super
Anna Zollinger
This review was made possible by NetGalley, who provided a Digital Advanced Release Copy for review (DARC); my review of the material may not wholly reflect the final product upon its publication.

I've finished this title but haven't formulated a complete review of the material yet due to the nature of the book. When I do, I'll update this page to reflect my thoughts.
Cat
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd look into these as I have a son-in-law who enjoys them. Not the sort of stuff I'd drink (with the exception of the honey mead!). But I'm betting a whole host of folks will. Well, to your health! Their are loads of recipes to try and make your own.
Doris
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm making kvass and kombucha right now!
Nicole
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes the process clear and feel accessible.
Irene O'Neill
Some good basic information on the various fermented drinks. Full of recipes which I either wasn't interested in or ready for.
Hana Curry
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Can't wait to try making some new kombucha flavours and ginger beer!
Sue Fernandez
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to #NetGalley for an e-ARC of this title in exchange for my honest review. This book has beautiful photos of the drinks and you'll want to make all of them. I've recently developed a fondness for fermented beverages, and reading this book gave me the courage to want to dive right in. You'll read about the health benefits and it won't seem like such a strange idea. I highly recommend this even if you aren't familiar with the subject matter...be adventurous!
Jo
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
#NetGalley #Summer #Wellness #Summer2018

Felicity is the alchemist of probiotic drinks. She shares her expertise by providing informative descriptions, recipes , tips and beautiful pictures. Most of the recipes can be used for summer or during the year. Amazing!
Teri Temme
May 23, 2019
Kim
Jul 29, 2019
Danielle
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the way this book is broken down into categories for introducing probiotics vs. prebiotics, methods and benefits of fermentation, how to ferment using cultures and finally wild fermentation. I chose to read this book so I could learn more and determine if I would be interested in doing this at home, but it seems like a lot of work and effort for very small batches. However, I found the book very informative and the photographs were gorgeous and so colorful.

*Disclaimer: I received this boo
Marie
Mar 25, 2018
Brandi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource for anyone looking to make their own probiotic fermented drinks at home. Recipes are included for variations of Water Kifer, milk kefir, coconut kefir, Jun, kombucha, ginger bug, and honey mead. I’ve never really thought about making my own probiotic drinks until I read this book. Now, I’m seriously considering investing in fermenting my own. This book breaks down the science and the safety of making your own instead of always buying them at the store.
Inez
Aug 16, 2017
Joshua
Jul 01, 2019
Patricia Reyes
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like Felicity created a more inviting approach and a wealth of important information to get new brewers comfortable with the fermentation process. Overall, I think the body of work was also pretty comprehensive in its exploration of different fermented beverage types
Kylie Thompson
rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2017
Michelle
Aug 02, 2018
Kyra
Dec 24, 2017 is currently reading it
Before kids I once attempted to grow sprouts from quinoa and it failed horribly. I never tried again. I've also debated creating my own sourdough starter, cheeses, and yogurts but have been worried about what will come out of it.

Looking through cookbooks on NetGalley I saw this book and realized I really wanted to try to grow something edible. I requested a preview of the book and was accepted. I immediately started going through it and was impressed what I saw. The introduction explains ferment
Christina