Start by marking “Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)

Flyte

(Septimus Heap #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  67,196 ratings  ·  1,679 reviews
It's been a year since Septimus Heap discovered his real family and true calling to be a wizard. As Apprentice to Extra Ordinary Wizard Marcia Overstrand, he is learning the fine arts of Conjurations, Charms, and other Magyk, while Jenna is adapting to life as the Princess and enjoying the freedom of the Castle.

But there is something sinister at work. Marcia is constantly
Published March 27th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Flyte, please sign up.
Miles i'm rereading these as an adult and they're as compelling as ever. i've forgotten many key details and so the twists are as exciting as they were the …morei'm rereading these as an adult and they're as compelling as ever. i've forgotten many key details and so the twists are as exciting as they were the first time(less)
Ruby This is not a homework club. This is for questions about the book. I know this is a year late but... were you expecting a lecture on how to review a b…moreThis is not a homework club. This is for questions about the book. I know this is a year late but... were you expecting a lecture on how to review a book? Or a completed response to this book? Anyway I hope you enjoyed this book because it’s Brillo.(less)
Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëEragon by Christopher Paolini
What To Read Next
12,960 books — 21,380 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,250 books — 2,315 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  67,196 ratings  ·  1,679 reviews

Start your review of Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
Ann
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you enjoyed Magyk, you should like this too:)
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Another enjoyable book by Sage. I wasn't quite as enthralled with the second book as I was the first (some of the inventiveness and cuteness seemed lacking just a smidgen) but it was still a good story.
I felt it continued the story and plot well, holding fairly true to the characters and flavor of the first book.

I only have a few... not complaints... but rather things that weren't quite up to 5 stars:
I'm still awaiting further explanation of the magical world (though as it's only book two, I'm n
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
quirky, most definitely something new to the children's bookshelves. these books show a lot imagination and creativity. dark with light humour in between the nasty bits. i like the way angie sage also uses the phonetic spellings of 'magykal' words to show a distinction between the norm and the wizards. her World is full of adventure, surprises and humour.
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
🌟🌟🌟 3.5 stars
Vonette
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved the first book, and rated it 4 stars because the characters were so three dimensional. I could really understand their motivations and believe in their personalities. This second book struck me as being put together more hurriedly than the first one. There were a lot of "holes" in the story (why do we never see into Marin's thoughts again after he leaves with Simon? Or even have any clear idea if he DID leave with Simon? why is so little mention given to the fate of the dragon boat at th ...more
✨Susan✨
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystical, fantasy, audible
What a fun series, I love how all the characters are so perfectly original and surrounded by a wonderful story that just keeps getting better with each book. It is fantastic how there is always new magic in so many avenues of Septimus's young life. Dragons, wolf boys, ghosts, magic all wrapped up in generations of splendid wizardry. Gerard Doyle's individual voices are so good that it is easy to forget that it is just one person. An excellent, clean story for all ages that moves along at just th ...more
Patrick
This was a lot of fun! I think I was a bit gracious with giving the first book three stars but this one definitely earned the four I gave it! I really enjoyed the action, characters and story!
Alexa
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Review that I posted as a comment in May 2012 because I was a Goodreads noob back then. Now updated to show as an actual review:

An enjoyable read :) Many of plot twist that didn't become apparent to me until just before I read them :P And at the back of the book with the "What happened Before..."s was fun to read :D It's nice to know how the minor characters came about, something you don't always get to know in books :)
Highness Atharva
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the second book of the Septimus Heap series, Flyte we see Septimus as the apprentice to Marcia. This book is budding with a whole new lot of secondary characters, a lot of them, playing their role in the Magykal world. Then, there's the Dragon Spit Fyre to which I looked forward to and then there's Simon Heap, the betraying cousin of Jenna who ressurcts Dom Daniel, villain of the previous book. This book is not as quite as upto mark as the first one and I really miss the Marshes and the atmos ...more
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Why did I pick this book: I read this book because it is Book 2 in the Septimus Heap Series. When I read a series, I usually read the entire series, unless it is absolutely horrible. So far, this series isn’t horrible.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes. I enjoyed it more than the first book, Magyk. (See my review of Magyk here.) I was more used to the “misspellings” and the capitalization . . . it still got a bit annoying, but as I said, I was used to it this time around.

The story moved faster, and the
Avery (ThePagemaster)
3.5 out of 5 Stars

Despite a star drop from the first book, Flyte is still just as entertaining as Magyk was. Re-reading this series, you pick up on things that sped past you the first time.

Flyte shows more magic(Magyk), Charms, spell books. And Dragons! In this one, Simon Heap, the oldest of the Heap sons, is still salty because Septimus Heap is now the Apprentice to Marcia Overstrand--but not him. So, he decides to go rogue(for reasons I won't explain, due to spoilers) by kidnapping Jenna. Sept
Becca
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one, maybe even a little bit more! I loved getting to know all the characters better and being able to learn more about Angie's world. I, once again, fell in love with her writing and I particularly noticed, and loved, how she gave everything a "voice". Even the stove and coffeepot in the ExtraOrdinary Wizard's kitchen had minds of their own. It was very fun to read those passages, in particular.

The only thing that could be a negative was that this b
Kathy
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Flyte picks up Septimus' story a year later than when the first book of the series ended. It's really Jenna's story, too, as we learn more about the Princess. In this one, Simon Heap (Septimus' older brother) is the villian as he kidnaps Jenna, attacks the Dragon Boat and tries to bring back Domdaniel, the evil Extraordinary Wizard. Good continuation of the series and nice introduction to more characters that I expect we'll see going forward. These are nice books for young adult readers - pretty ...more
Cindy
This was a bit slower/less awesome than the first book. It seemed like the entire book was just made up of people not believing anything Sep said, which was frustrating. At some point, someone somewhere has to believe you. I just didn't understand the blindness everyone turned to everything Sep said.

It was nice seeing Sep visit his brothers and see the return of a few of the characters from book 1. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Kathy Davie
Nov 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children
This is the second in the young adult fantasy series, Septimus Heap. In Flyte, young Septimus takes off on his own to rescue the young Princess Jenna when his brother, Simon, kidnaps her. For no one will believe that Simon isn't just taking her for a ride on his horse. Turns out that Simon is incredibly jealous of Sep's position as the Assistant to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard and fully intends to oust Septimus by the use of Darke Magyk.

Lots of fun, exciting, and scary adventures for both Jenna and
Janie Johnson
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
What a magycal read this was. I had read this years ago and it seems like I took so much more away from it this time. I am so very glad that I decide to come back to this series. I really loved visiting with some of my favorite characters again and meeting some new ones.

Angie Sage adds the perfect amount of magic to this story. It allows her readers to become totally immersed in such a beautiful world where magic is real. And as I read it, I can really feel like the magic is real in our world a
Molly
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've finally broken my streak...I actually liked this (book 2 in the series) the best. This has absolutely never happened to me before! I'm going to have to review some of my other long held beliefs...

Anyway, this is an action packed book which continues the saga of Septimus Heap, long thought of only has Boy 412, but now the apprentice to the most powerful of all wizards. His newfound status, however, has some jealous, including his eldest brother, Simon Heap. Simon aligns himself with the dark
Lori Anderson
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
first read June 17, 2008, second reading 2013, with my ten year old.

These books are addictive! I won't add more than I had a "woah!" moment when I saw the picture the illustrator had drawn for Marcia Overstrand -- I'd pictured her all along as an older, heavier wizard! Boy was I wrong!

Cool book, great series -- on to book three!

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog
Holland 2010
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Here is the summary of Flyte and so Septimus Heap is cleaning his library. So he catches six small spiders and lets them out out of the window. Then Septimus finds a big spider and the spider bits his thumb and then Septimus got the spider and then went to Marcia and she gave him medicine and so then the medicine made his thumb worse. Septimus went to the doctor and had to stay in his bed and do nothing for a week. This is my summary of the book. ( only chapter #1) Izabella G.:)
Juuli
I really like this series. Yes, it's predictable but in a good way. The cover and illustrations are gorgeous and there is a map. The story is well written, characters likeable and the world interesting.
Great fantasy book for children.
BJ Rose
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
What a delightfully enjoyable fantasy series!
aarifa
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dnf, middle-grade
I know u are confused that I liked it, read it and gave up on. Actually I thought this book was really great even though I could not finish it. So that is why I gave it 5 stars!
P.S. Winn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Magic, charms and the incredible wizard Septimus Heap return in book two of a fun series that young adults and adults can love.
Baige Bell
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is really cute and perfect for middle grade readers.

It gets a bit frustrating when 98% of the adults are hapless idiots, but I suppose that's middle grade plot for you.
Hunter
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an improvement on the first book.
Richard
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-fantasy
7/10

The 2nd outing in the Septimus Heap series and it continues a year after the first book following both Septimus and Jenna. It was an enjoyable read without ever really getting to the stage of being hard to put down. It never got into top gear and the plot meandered a little too much for my liking which kept the overall rating down.

There are plenty of enjoyable things going on in this book , the most enjoyable of which was Simon kidnapping Jenna and then the escape that ensues, and the worl
Michael
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Flyte, like it's predecessor, is a "boy wizard coming of age" story joined to a "girl princess coming of age" story. But if you've made it this far, you already know that Angie Sage somehow avoids falling into the same tired old tropes of books in either genre. For example, when our princess is kidnapped by a Bad Guye she is fully able to rescue herself, thank-you-very-much. When a magykal creature hatches and becomes bonded to someone in the story, an event you can see coming from hundreds of p ...more
Maria
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fantasy, e-book, ya
I like Flyte.

Flyte is a fun sequel. The emphasis on the importance of family is what I liked the most in here. See, Septimus' oldest brother Simon is the villain. Even if Simon tried to "indirectly" kill him a few times, Septimus chose to spare his brother's life in the end. Now, isn't that nice?

I got a lot of laughs while listening to the audiobook. Nico's the most entertaining character! Besides Septimus, his rants and banters are the most enjoyable. And the spells are delightful, especially t
Hannah Steward
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Flyte by Angie Sage was an amazing and wonderful book. I really enjoyed the action and suspense that was in this book. Also, the word choice of Angie Sage was outstanding!

In Flyte, a lot of interesting things happen. In the beginning, Jenna, the princess, is kidnapped by her brother, Simon. She discovers that Simon is planning to bring back the evil wizard, DomDaniel. Simon thinks that he will be DomDaniel's apprentice. Meanwhile, Septimius is developing more power than he or his mentor can ever
An Odd1
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Flyte" (Septimus Heap 2) by Angie Sage is full of: so much imagination, I can only say - read it; and of frustration - disbelief by those supposed to be your nearest and dearest - I know the feeling. Nobody trusts our hero Sep (12ish?): that his eldest brother Simon, now 20 but acts 10, has kidnapped Princess Jenna, 12ish, that Ice Tunnels run everywhere beneath the Castle. Simon has the long-vanished true Flyte charm, can chase them, their Dragon Boat. Chapter prefacing line drawings by Mark Z ...more
Emma
Ok, I’m (surprisingly!) really enjoying this series!
Normally I’m not a huge fan on middle grade books, but this is quality middle grade fantasy. And while it’s definitely aimed at a younger audience, it’s not too light or juvenile for me to enjoy it!

FLYTE brings us more magic, action, ghosts, witches and dragons, and I might’ve liked it even a bit more than I did MAGYK.

I’m not sure how, but as rats freak me out my brain has decided to picture messenger beavers rather than messenger rats (than
Fantasy Things: Flyte 1 3 Apr 02, 2015 02:39PM
Would you like a Flyte Charm? 12 40 Sep 01, 2014 03:57PM
good book 4 20 Apr 29, 2012 07:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 2 22 Jan 02, 2012 11:28AM

• Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • Tales From the Hood
  • The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #5)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • The Necromancer  (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4)
  • Lost (Magic Thief, #2)
Angie Sage (born 1952) is the author of the Septimus Heap series which includes Magyk, Flyte, Physik, Queste, Syren, Darke and Fyre. She also wrote the Todhunter Moon series, and the Magykal Papers, an additional book with extra information about Septimus' world. She is also the illustrator and/or writer of many children's books, and is the new writer of the Araminta Spookie series.

Angie Sage grew

Septimus Heap (7 books)
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Syren (Septimus Heap, #5)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • Fyre (Septimus Heap, #7)

News & Interviews

“Use your head, Sep. Loads of wolverines. Hanging around waiting for super. Gtting excited. eating mint blasts. so what do you think they do?'
it must be here. they can't have eaten that... i dunno, Nik, what do they do?'
POO.”
65 likes
“Oh dear," said Sarah anxiously, "I do wish he wouldn't do these silly things."
I'm sure we all wish that, Sarah," said Marcia sternly. "But unfortunately he has progressed rather further than the silly stage. Evil-minded-scheming stage is more what I would call it.”
47 likes