Start by marking “There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)” as Want to Read:
There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)

There's Something About Sweetie

(Dimple and Rishi #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  4,625 ratings  ·  1,150 reviews
Ashish Patel didnt know love could be sosucky. After hes dumped by his ex-girlfriend, his mojo goes AWOL. Even worse, his parents are annoyingly, smugly confident they could find him a better match. So, in a moment of weakness, Ash challenges them to set him up.

The Patels insist that Ashish date an Indian-American girlunder contract. Per subclause 1(a), hell be taking his
378 pages
Published May 14th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about There's Something About Sweetie, please sign up.
Sandhya Menon Hi! I'm so sorry you're sad that Ashish and Celia break up! But I promise, once you meet Sweetie, you'll see how PERFECT Ash and she are for each…moreHi! I'm so sorry you're sad that Ashish and Celia break up! But I promise, once you meet Sweetie, you'll see how PERFECT Ash and she are for each other. Plus, Celia does make a cameo in There's Something About Sweetie! :)(less)

·  4,625 ratings  ·  1,150 reviews

Start your review of There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maybe
4.75 holi-stic, colorful, heartwarming, dancing stars singing babys got blue skies over head but in this Im a rain cloud,you know she likes a dry kind of love oh ohhh sweetest thing stars!!!Yeap Im singing Sweetest Thing from U2 after I finished this book!

My head turns because of overloaded feelings are now everywhere ! After reading this book I feel joy, hope, love, genuineness, wholeheartedness, happiness, freedom , adrenaline, optimism pumping into my blood!

Sweetie , there is not something
C.G. Drews
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somedays you just need the cute and fluffiest of romcoms (with a bit of angst because OF COURSE) and this definitely delivered !! I think When Dimple Met Rishi will always be my favourite, but aww there was so much to adore with this one.

➢ I loved how Sweetie was The Softest and so wise and mature, but also not about to be walked over! I love angry girls, but soft girl rep is important too and I just adore her!
➢ I actually didn't remember Ashish much from Dimple & Rishi's book oops, but he
Kadbury
Jan 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Am I the only person who thought of Kal Ho Na Ho once they saw the tentative title?

Specifically

Sweetu

The adorkable Sweetu

Stacee
Im absolutely here for Sandhyas words and I was beyond excited to see Ashish get his own book.

You guys. I cant even tell you how much I love Sweetie. Shes so good and such a lovely person. I loved how she saw herself and how she was happy with herself. Ashish took me a second to warm up to, but he was quite a marshmallow and I was quickly invested. And theres such a great cast of secondary characters here: both Sweetie and Ashish have excellent friends and Im hoping well get more from them.

Plot
Megha Patel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow, wow, wow!! Freaking wow!

Honestly, how can I not give this book anything but 5 stars. Matter of fact, I would give it a million! Obviously.

I mean what more can you want from a book than for it to be extremely adorable and a swoon-fest along with an important message. This book is not just about a cute romance but it also digs deep into self love and worth. It teaches us we are enough the way we are. The society may create a gap between thin and fat but at the end of the day we are all
Hollis
So, don't pelt me with rotten fruit, but I have to get this out of the way : THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE was very.. sweet. Kind of gooey. I wonder if it was a deliberate choice in order to balance out the less-than-fun fatphobic elements of the story or if that's just the author's preference (I've read WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI but it was a few years ago and I can't remember what the sweet factor was like, so, anyway..).

Resisting fatphobic messages was one thing -- but what about the insidious,
Dahlia
I continue to adore every single one of these books, but oh man, this one really had the fat rep of my heart. Also, one of my favorite endings (like, literal closing lines) of any YA ever. I don't even know why, but just...yeah <3
Erin
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
After enjoying From Twinkie, With Love in 2018, I couldn't resist the sequel to When Dimple met Rishi. Ashish, the younger brother of Rishi, is a high school basketball star and resident playboy, who has just had his heart broken. His parent's solution-let's find you a nice Indian-American girl. Enter Sweetie, a young woman that attends the same school as Ashish. A member of the track team and a gifted singer, Sweetie has often felt judged on her physical appearance. Even her mother believes ...more
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
THAT WAS THE CUTEST, MOST WHOLESOME THING EVER AND MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE IT. LOVED THIS. even more so than When Dimple Met Rishi. Sweetie and Ashish were just wonderful characters and i love them so much and want the best for them both.
Rec-It Rachel
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cannot put into words what this means to me holy crap
kav (xreadingsolacex)
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"'Sweetie she's...she's like the other half of my jagged soul, you know? She's got the soft edges that fuse with my hard ones.' He shook his head. 'There's something about Sweetie. Something I can't explain.'"

There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon is her third YA contemporary rom-com, this one a sequel to When Dimple Met Rishi, her debut novel. There's Something About Sweetie follows the story of Ashish Patel, Rishi Patel's ~ cool ~ younger brother who loses his 'mojo' after his
✩ Ashley ✩
4.5 Stars

Audiobook Performance: ★★★★

Even though When Dimple Met Rishi didnt quite hit the mark, Im so game for round two when it involves my favorite from the book, Ashish!!! Ahhh that feeling when a side character finally gets the love :):):)
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
This was my least favorite book by Sandhya Menon. The characters were all so one-dimensional, their dialogue was generic, and the story was really repetitive.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
The cover is SO cute!! All of Menon's covers are so attractive!

Sweetie is a fat girl, she loves her friends, school, life, she is athletic, a runner and a singer. Her only problem in life is her mother. Who doesn't think Sweetie is good enough until she loses weight. Things go worse when Sweetie is into this guy Ashish and his parents want to set Sweetie up with him but her mom says that Sweetie can't be with him because they won't suit, she is fat and he is handsome, he is rich and she is
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Is there anything better than a sweet cute contemporary that packs all the feels and leaves you with a smile shinning bright on your face? Something fun and energetic and most of all, just really really good? Nope, I don't think so, at least, not in the book world.

There's Something About Sweetie was so wonderful. Packed full of sweet and heartfelt messages about accepting who we are and being strong and independent while still being respectful of others.

I love not only the strong and powerful
Alexa
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

4.5 stars. I really adored this book, friends! Its easily become my favorite of Sandhya Menons body of work. I truly feel like this YA rom-com also has so much heart, and Sweetie and Ashish were both wonderful. Totally enjoyed it and cannot recommend it enough!
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
to me, fat isnt a bad word. its other people whove made it like that. its as much a part of me being an athlete or indian american or a girl.

this was the cute and fluffy story i had needed. sweetie is quite literally the sweetest girl ever. i especially loved the fat rep and how open and empowering she is about her body. it wasnt the cliché no one will love me until i lose weight and love myself kinda story, but she OWNED it and proved people that fat does not equal unhealthy or lazy or any
Tani
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
My dearest meanest cousin ordered recommended to read this book. I absolutely hate love her for being stubborn thoughtful.
Lisa Wolf
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet, empowering romantic story about love and family, this book follows two teen children of Indian-American descent as they navigate dating, love, and standing up for themselves. Sweetie is a terrific lead character -- a talented singer and athlete, a good friend, a successful student, but she's held back by her mother's view that she won't be truly acceptable unless she loses weight. Sweetie is tired of the fat-shaming. She actually likes herself as is, and wants her mother to see her as ...more
Fizah(Books tales by me)
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Actual Rating 3.5
It is the sequel of When Dimple Met Rishi, Ashish who is Rishis younger brother is MC here. I didnt like Ashish in the first book. He was stubborn and annoying. But the first person POV made him looks better :D.

It is a light and quick read. The story focuses on two important issues, being fat is not bad and What the society will say( It is a big thing in South Asia, as we live in close communities so people have a real impact in your life, so yes parents are always too conscious
Melissa
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. I am totally swooning! This book is amazing (I know, I say that often, but it's true!!)!!!!!

This book is inspiring and delivers an important message in an impressive way: love yourself as you are, don't change, you are beautiful inside AND out! I've never been fat, I've always had a hard time using this word because it's pejorative, but I've been bullied in high school because I was tall and thin. I'm not saying it's the same thing, I'm saying you don't have to be fat to be
Kate (GirlReading)
This was everything I hoped it would be and then some.
It was adorable, funny, infuriating, real, honest and empowering. I loved it with my whole heart.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Theres Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon is the charming rom-com I have been waiting for since we first met Ashish in When Dimple Met Rishi. I adored the mix of cute content and a powerful message, and both Ashish and Sweetie are realistic characters. This is the perfect light and sweet read for a sunny day.

Ive been a fan of Sandhya Menon for a while now, so this book was one of my highly anticipated for the spring. It follows Ashish, who is dealing with a
Paige
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looooooved it!
Sahitya
If I thought When Dimple Met Rishi was wonderful, there is no way I could have described how excited I was for this one. While getting a story about Ashish was in itself a draw, my main reason to read this was a fat brown desi heroine. They so so rare in media that I dont even look for this representation, so it was such a pleasant surprise when I first saw the amazing cover of this book. And Im so glad I finally got around to reading it.

We already know from the first book that Ashish is a
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) AWWWWW ❤ This is officially my new favorite YA rom com - its ADORABLE and modern and has the best body positive message ever. Add it to the like of Dumplin / Puddin and The Summer of Jordi Perez as an exemplar of a kick ass teenage girl loving who she is - including a body that some in society deem unacceptable. I adore the authors note about reclaiming the word fat!

Oh, and lets count the other things I love too! 1) no bro culture or sex-focus. The male leads best friends are
✶Rachelle✶
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Well I planned to finish this before the release date, since it was an ARC and all, but then my daughter decided to make her debut into the world earlier than anticipated and it was all I could do to function on a basic level. BUT I finally finished this!

Anyway, I really enjoyed Sweetie. It was cute, light, fluffy, and just what I needed to get through the many sleepless nights that come with a newborn. Sweetie is a fantastic protagonist, and I really enjoyed her relationship with Ashish.
nick

OMG!!! I loved loved loved every word of this book! Can I leave my review at that? Sandhya has been writing consistently amazing stories about brown girls and their happily ever after and it makes my heart very very happy. I feel like Sandhya Menon just gets what I want out of a feel-good book.

There's Something About Sweetie was extra special for me because I saw in Sweetie someone that young Nick could have aspired to be. She was amazing and I had so much admiration and respect for her. Sweetie
Laura (bbliophile)
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely adorable and I loved it so much and it made me so happy aaaaah
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
If the word fat makes you cringe, I hope youll stop and examine why that is. What do you think when you see the word thin? My guess is nothing, or at least, nothing bad. So then, is there anything inherently wrong with being fat? Or have we just been conditioned to see the words worthless or lazy or bad instead of fat?
This entire book just feels bright and summery. The romance is beyond adorable, Sweetie is fierce, and Ashish is charming. And I had the absolute best time reading it. Sweetie

• Somewhere Only We Know
  • Love From A to Z
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • With the Fire on High
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Tweet Cute
  • Field Notes on Love
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Permanent Record
Sandhya Menon is the New York Times bestselling author of several novels with lots of kissing, girl power, and swoony boys. Her books have been featured in several cool places, including on The Today Show, Teen Vogue, NPR Book Review, Buzzfeed, and Seventeen. A full-time dog servant and part-time writer, she makes her home in the foggy mountains of Colorado.

Dimple and Rishi (3 books)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi (Dimple and Rishi, #1)
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Looking for the perfect reading match? Here to help you find your happily ever after this summer are some of the biggest and mo...
“She was constantly being forced to think of herself as the before picture, but when she spoke to her cousin, she saw that the after picture could include her just as she was right now.” 8 likes
“Eating was so fraught when you were fat: If you ate something unhealthy, thin people would say it was no wonder you were fat. But if you ate something healthy, they’d roll their eyes, laugh, and say, “Yeah, right.” 4 likes