Start by marking “Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli” as Want to Read:
Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli

Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli

A dazzling first-person picture book biography of the life of iconic fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli by the award-winning team who created Julia, Child.

Here is the life of iconic fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli, who as a little girl in Rome, was told by her own mamma that she was brutta. Ugly. So she decided to seek out beauty around her, and found it everywhere.
Published February 6th 2018 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloom

Start your review of Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli
David Schaafsma

I’m not the least into fashion but I am very into the picture books of Kyo Maclear and especially when illustrated by one of my favorite artists, Julie Morstad; the two of them were also the creators of another fine book, Julia, Child. Both books are biographies about women they view as powerful artists. Just look at that cover and tell me this won’t be a dazzling book! You can’t do it!

Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli is a kind of slight telling of her life but there are
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I am a HUGE Kyo Maclear fan and love everything she writes. Bloom is no exception. Throw in the fact it is illustrated by the magnificent Julie Morstad and you have a five star picture book on your hands.

Bloom is the true story about avant guard fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli; miles ahead of her time and not afraid to be bold, outrageous, and creative. Honestly, after reading the book I fell down a Google rabbit hole, needing to know more information about this incredibly
Lola
This certainly is a gorgeously-illustrated picture book.

But like the author herself says at the end of it, it’s very hard to tell someone’s story in such a small amount of pages, especially someone who was an important figure in the fashion world.

Elsa Schiaparelli was someone to be admired. From a very young age, she realizes she thinks and behaves differently than others. I mean, who would ever think of planting seeds on their faces and inside their bodies to see flowers grow and make them
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must give this picture book four stars because the illustration is so lush.

The opening scene shows two disappointed parents looking down on their baby daughter. Of course the idea was that they wanted a son. They already had a daughter so the idea of having a son isn't too shocking. Many people would like a boy and a girl, and it doesn't mean that girls aren't valued. My concern with the text was that it made females look downtrodden, and that Schiaparelli succeeded despite many odds. Keep in
Janet
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me years to recognize fashion as an art form; while I myself am not fashionable, I can now appreciate the creativity behind clothing design. Kyo Maclear's BLOOM would make a great gift for young readers as well as older fashionistas who want to be inspired by the story of a creator with a singular vision: Elsa Schiaparelli. http://www.avidbookshop.com/book/9780...
Becky B
A picture book biography of Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli who didn't feel loved or lovely as a child, and didn't have quick success as an adult, but eventually became a famous fashion designer with unconventional styles and colors.

Most readers will know Elsa Schiaparelli best for the colors the introduced to the world, like shocking pink and ice blue. Her story is a little sad, especially the way her parents treated her growing up. But eventually Elsa's story is that you shouldn't
Jason
Not being remotely into fashion, I'm not the right audience for this book at all. I tend to think of older children as getting into fashion, so this seems to be missing its audience to some degree. It's really pretty and well told, though.
Milky Mixer
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The queen of Shocking Pink! This is discussed in the book right after she wears a shoe for a hat. I really bought this for the illustrations but it's a great little biography of her life, work, and contemporaries.
Linda
An interesting look at fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli the creator of shocking pink. Her non-traditional designs hit Paris by storm. This story serves to inspire readers to follow their dreams and don't be detoured by the obstacles you may face.
Marianne
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully made and intriguing.
Chinook
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This one seemed to sort of miss the mark with Kait (and I didn’t even try to get Maddie to listen to it.) Kait is into both pink and dresses, but something about the way the story was told seemed to bore her a bit. That said, the illustrations are just gorgeous and it was a good introduction to biography.
Idarah
Kyo Maclear does it again. I just love her children’s books, especially the biographical ones.

Lynn  Davidson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting story about a girl who grew up to be an inspirational, inventive, talented fashion designer.
Julie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where were these books when I was a kid? Again, born at the wrong time.
Lian
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb in every way.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Bold beauty. Quiet beauty. Hidden beauty.
By the age of seven, I wonder: What makes something beautiful?

Canadian author and artist duo Kyo Maclear and Julie Morstad have worked together previously- on the delightful and beautiful picture book Julia, Child- and return here in glorious , vibrant and poetic fashion with Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli. A biographical picture book about the life of the illustrious, rule-breaking and rule-bending designer Elsa Schiaparelli,
Beth
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning and inspiring!
Patricia Gmitrovic
Fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli grew up feeling ugly. She planted a new seed of beauty with her fashion designs. Beauty is not about conforming to certain standards. Elsa was imperfectly perfect.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Bloom: A Story Of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli, written by Kyo Maclear and illustrated by Julie Morstad, a moving story of the fashion innovator and her passion for color and redefining beauty.

When Elsa was born in 1890 in Rome, her parents were disappointed – they had wanted a boy. Her mother heavily favored her older sister, giving her the nickname “
I had never heard of Elsa Schiaparelli before, but I had heard of her color: shocking pink! I was amazed to read about her revolutionary fashion ideas that are listed in the back of the book. What a wonderful little picture biography to introduce young readers to the art of fashion, and to talk about perseverance to accomplish your dream.
Bonnie Ferrante
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 8X10 picture book that tells the story of a fascinating and unique individual, Elsa Schiaparelli. It begins in early childhood where we learned that Elsa was a disappointment to her parents because they wanted a boy and she wasn’t as pretty as her sister. This compelled Elsa her to examine the concept of beauty.

Her experiences might have crush her spirit if it had not been for her uncle Giovanni. He was an astronomer and also a dreamer like Elsa. He encouraged her imagination and told
Jeanie  {coffee girl}
An ugly duckling story within the fashion world. Kyo Maclear's Bloom is a story of fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli. This biographical picture book is told in first person narrative, as Maclear shares the story of Ella Schiaparelli. The illustrations, by Julie Morstad are absolutely stunning, adding to the beauty of the words written upon the page.

The book begins with the birth of Ella, September 10,1890 in Roma, Italy. Her parents wanted a boy; leaving Ella to feel indifferent, alone, and
Linda
The life of Elsa Schiaparelli, sad in the beginning and delightful as she matures, celebrates her creative spirit, is beautifully told in first person by Kyo Maclear, with Julie Morstad illustrating using some of Schiaparelli’s own extraordinary fashion firsts. The illustrations blend with Schiaparelli’s designs, fill pages with stunning images of flowers and other images. Be sure to see the pages where Elsa’s face shows up in the blooms. She is blooming!
Elsa, through Maclear’s words, shares
Tasha
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raised as an unwanted second daughter who was considered ugly due to the moles on her face, Elsa grew up attracted to the bright colors of the slower market in Rome. Her imagination soars as she dreams of the stars, tries to fly and finds ideas in books and objects in the attic. Elsa become an artist and soon is designing dresses for herself, her husband, friends and her daughter. After years of work, Elsa has joined a group of artists and starts to design modern clothes that take Paris by ...more
Pink STREAM
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you the girl who designs clothes wherever she finds a blank paper? Are you the girl who wears the fanciest clothes every day? Are you the girl who makes suggestions to her friends about their clothes? Are you the trendsetter girl in the school? If your answer is yes, you found the book you are searching for. “Bloom” is about a famous fashion designer named Elsa Schiaparelli who was a disappointment for her family because she wasn’t a boy when she was born. As she grows up she loses herself ...more
Phyllis
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book, but also a great introduction to fashion as well as the life of fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli. Simplified in order to be understood by younger readers, it's an entertaining story of how a young girl in the 1920's overcame her family's disappointment with her to become a creative and independent woman. It is also encouraging to see how Elsa pursued her dreams and became successful. The illustrations compliment the text, plus the addition of actual quotes by ...more
Doren Damico
What an amazing true story about a woman who defied others' negative perceptions of her by becoming an artist, and an influential and successful fashion designer. I love the illustrations by Julie Morstad, and the way the story includes quotes by the subject, Elsa Schiaparelli, in a hand written font. Motivational and fun. The endnotes and additional sources for further reading, make this a marvelous find for young fashion designers!
Kim
I beautifully illustrated picture book biography about fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli. Her designs broke all the rules in the 20s and 30s. Also invented the colors "shocking pink" and "ice blue". Great lesson on choosing what makes you happy despite what other people say and never giving up.
Annie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bbfk2018
Told in a bold and confident first-person point of view, along with gorgeous, bright, and vivid illustrations (liquid watercolor, gouache, and pencil crayons) help to tell the story of Elsa Schiaparelli, the inventor of the color “shocking pink” or as we now call it “hot pink” Additional backmatter provides more details on her life.
Barbra
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of Elsa Schiaparelli, a young girl whose imagination blossomed her into an iconic fashion designer. As a young girl she always saw things in a different light, one with brilliant colours. Her motto was Dare to be Different. A great inspirational book for aspiring young artists.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Ordinary, Extraordinary Jane Austen
  • Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation (Environmental Science for Kids, The Environment and You for Kids, Conservation for Kids)
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Another
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • A House That Once Was
  • What Do You Do with a Voice Like That?: The Story of Extraordinary Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
  • Pokko and the Drum
Kyo Maclear is a children’s author, novelist and essayist. She was born in London, England and moved to Toronto at the age of four.

Kyo is the author of several critically-acclaimed children’s books including: Spork (2010) and Virginia Wolf (2012), both illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault; Mr. Flux (2013), illustrated by Matte Stephens; Julia, Child (2014), illustrated by Julie Morstad; The Specific