Start by marking “Permanent Marker: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Permanent Marker: A Memoir

Permanent Marker: A Memoir

“Aimee’s story reminds us that even when our truths don’t reveal themselves in the ways we wish they would, we can always choose how those truths shape, rather than define, our lives.”-Darin Strauss, author of Half a Life

“Aimee Ross possesses an indomitable spirit and fierce humor that breathe new life into every page.”-Jill Christman, author of Darkroom and Borrowed Babie
Published March 13th 2018 by KiCam Projects, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Permanent Marker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permanent Marker

Start your review of Permanent Marker: A Memoir
Valerity (Val)
I found this memoir by award-winning high school English teacher Aimee Ross to be very moving and I'm so glad she shared it with the rest of us. It comes across as a heartfelt, empowering and a cathartic read that sprinkles bits of her growth across its pages as she opened up about the horrible "Trifecta of Shit" as she refers to it that happened to her in a 6-month period of her life. At the age of forty-one and unhappy in her marriage, she asked her husband for a divorce.

Just three days later
Kayo
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked author's writing style. Nice job on book.
Robin Strongq
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I have finally met it! The book I couldn't put down! Enthralling and captivating are only two words among so many to describe Amy's tribulations woven throughout her story. By the time I was finished reading it (I didn't want it to end!), I was covered in emotional paper cuts. This memoir was enticing, painfully honest, and insightful. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is aching within. Robin Strong
Katherine Hayward Pérez
What would you do and how would you react if your life changed completely in 6 months? 6 months in which award winning high school teacher Aimee Ross experienced more in her life than many people do in a lifetime. Her happiness is shattered by divorce. Then, shortly after, there's her heart attack. Then, the car crash caused by a drunk driver. Aimee Ross talks openly and honestly about all these events in this, her thoroughly engrossing and poingnant memoir.

I was captivated by the title, and th
Mattie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Permanent Marker, by Aimee Ross is a poignant page turner.
This memoir opens your eyes to a strong & motivated young English senior high educator from Ohio. She faced horrific life changes in which many would have given up on. Writing about her experiences was a cathartic form of healing and dealing with her daily struggles following a heart attack at the age of 41 and a MVA that broke 19 bones in her body.
Aimee details her experiences in which you will feel her pain. Her memoir allows yo
Kristiane Spires-Timmons
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down! I enjoyed the style of writing and the theme of self forgiveness throughout the book. I’m so glad Aimee shared her story.
Tina
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a really good, inspiring true story, and soul searching book that is a fairly quick read may I suggest Permanent Marker. Her story really touched me deeply. We all have different life challenges but reading her story makes you realize those challenges make us who we are today.
Ashley
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Maybe I wasn’t really losing it. Maybe I just needed some help."

PERMANENT MARKER by Aimee Ross starts with a fantastic opening - one that reeled me in immediately and made me want to dive into this memoir. I'm certainly glad that I did!

RELEASE DATE: March 2018

PUBLISHER: Kicam Projects

DISCLAIMER: Novel sent in exchange for a honest review

SYNOPSIS: Aimee Ross was living a perfectly normal life raising three kids, married to her high school sweetheart, and teaching at her high school alma mater.
Pam
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Permanent Marker is a memoir by Aimee Ross. Aimee is a senior high English teacher in Ohio. She has a MFA in Creative Non-Fiction Writing from Ashland University. In February, 2010, a series of three events began which led Aimee on a journey no one should have to face. First, Aimee asked her husband of eighteen years for a divorce followed by having to give the news to her three children. Second, Aimee had a heart attack at forty-one. Nothing in her background served as a possible warning sign f ...more
Heidi
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(A Mom/Teacher/Writer finds healing and strength through her family and students; aiding her journey towards forgiveness and finding true happiness)

The candidly revealing memoir, Permanent Marker, is a heartfelt and honest expression of the author’s battle in overcoming painful circumstances and obstacles beyond her control. Within the same year, she survives three traumatic and life-shattering experiences, leaving her deeply scarred; inside and out, emotionally and physically. Deciding not to s
Brittany Marie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prepare yourself for a nice long sit that will take you on a journey worth the emotional roller coaster. (For once!) Ready or not, Aimee Ross is going to take you with her.

A single second, a decisive moment of clarity, an accident: are all it take to alter the course of our lives. Aimee had a year that broke her mind, body, & soul: the decision to end her marriage, a heart attack brought on by her own broken heart, & a car accident to finish the job of shattering her spirit. How does one not on
Jessica Bronder
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of Aimee Ross, the hell she went through. Amie has been married for years with teenage kids and finally has the courage to ask for a divorce from her husband. Of course things go south and a lot of things happen. Three days later she suffers from a heart-attack. If that was not enough, five months after that she is in a serious car accident that almost kills her. Essentially, Amiee goes through a “Trifecta of Shit” in a six month period.

This story is a touching recount of
Julie Seboe
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This memoir by Aimee Ross kept me spellbound from the very beginning. It is a beautifully written story of a very difficult time in her life, and how she worked through it to become the person she is today. By flipping back and forth between time periods, Aimee draws you into her life. Her wonderfully written word pictures paint a story of love, brokenness, family, perseverance, and healing.

As a librarian, I am excited for my students to read this memoir. They will not only learn life less
Mindy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
God had a plan for Aimee Ross, and that is made clear in her inspiring book Permanent Marker. I was so drawn into her story that I carried the book in my purse to get a few more pages in whenever I had some down time, even if that meant only 5 or 10 minutes. With honesty and clarity, Aimee writes about her divorce with her high school sweetheart of 17 years, a heart attack at the young age of 41, and a devastating near fatal car accident. Permanent Maker is beautifully written. I laughed and I c ...more
Emma Hinkle
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aimee's Ross's "Permanent Marker" has left its own permanent mark on me and everyone else who has read it. It is a very quick read that had me on the edge of my seat. Every moment of it was exciting, and I found myself gasping out loud quite often. The vivid descriptions of the horrific parts of Aimee's life gave me chills, and the story is incredibly inspiring. Aimee has inspired me to push through the hard times in life and find what truly makes me happy. Aimee has not only inspired me, but ha ...more
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, Aimee writes with an open and honest style that makes you want to read more. Permanent Marker will make you laugh, cry and appreciate your own struggles and the importance of the people in your life. This book is a super quick read, and it’s a good thing, because I didn’t want to put it down!
Kirstie Swanson
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a remarkable account of what it is to be lost and found again, to be unsure as to what’s next but to tread on anyway. This book leaves you inspired and hopeful. I cried, laughed, and reminisced on my own life. Ready to read it again!
Jen
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that you will not be able to put down. From start to finish, you will be glued to the words on the page. The imagery used in this book is phenomenal. You can picture every thing that had happened in this real life story. I could relate so much to many parts of this life story. This is a great book and one I highly recommend reading!! (PS- I am not a reader and I had this one done in a day!!)
Renee Beck
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aimee’s story is raw, honest, and just what our culture needs to hear to uplift from the trenches we’ve succumbed to. A must read.
Liz
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about an amazing brave person who took tragedy by the horns and helped her heal to the life she deserved. Permanent Marker is a reminder to those who are having a difficult time that there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Jennifer Ferenbaugh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do not start reading this book at 9:00 at night:) I couldn't put it down. Very well written story that keeps you engrossed from page 1. Aimee Ross' memoir is the definition of strength, fortitude, and the power of the human spirit. We have all had life throw us those curves, but none quite like this. My heart bled for the trifecta of sh*t thrown at this author. To overcome all the obstacles thrown her way and stand back up again is a lesson we could all take with us. I'm hopeful for a continuati ...more
Mona Weiss
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, Aimee you knocked out of the park. They way you made me feel, right there with you, with your words. Amazing!! I had already moved away from our hometown, when all this occurred. Thank you for sharing your story. I will make sure anyone wanting a good beach read to read your book. And I understand the whole flipper thing!!

Your friend
Mona
shirley
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling book, emotional soul bearing book

There are smiles, tears, heart warming moments and heart wrenching reality through this journey. A need to know the outcome makes this a hard to put down book. Love pure and real gives us all hope for the same, Humor helps us inspect ourselves. Thank you for sharing your soul.
Jen Wilson
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy read! I loved that you could feel the author's voice through out the book.
Mary
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that hit me as I read this book was how brave Aimee was to share her life like this. It's fast-paced, and I found myself absorbed in her story. One of my favorite scenes was when she was out walking and got caught in the rain; it felt like Nature's baptism. Beautiful imagery!
Brooke Hinkle
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aimee's memoir is much like a fairy tail, a tragic and almost cursed beginning but a beautiful and happy ending. Her story seems almost like fiction, but unlike fictional characters Aimee's story does not end, nor start, with this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone whether they be a lover of fiction or non-fiction.
McKenzie Payne
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! It came in the mail when I got home in the evening, and I had it done by 8 while trying to tend to my family at the same time.I laughed. I cried. I celebrated. I ached. I reminisced.

Well done!
Marissa
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This memoir had me hooked from the first chapter. Aimee Ross's style of writing is professional and smooth, playful and humorous, and, most importantly, totally authentic. I admire her ability to be honest, her strength to persevere, and her passion to continue inspiring. This was a great read from start to finish that had me crying from sadness AND from happiness.
Jenn
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aimee Ross shouldn't be alive. She had a heart attack at 41. 5 months later, she was t-boned whilst driving home with 3 of her dance students. The driver of the other car was a 19 year old who didn't make it. Aimee had to be resuscitated at one point. It's a really easy read (I did it in one sitting, about 2.5 hours) and well worth it.
Manditrotter
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A friend’s sister wrote this book about her life after being in a horrible accident. Definitely worth reading!

• We Hope for Better Things
  • Half a Life
  • Mrs.
  • Six Ingredients with Six Sisters' Stuff: 100+ Fast and Easy Family Meals
  • The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing, and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up
  • Aly's Fight: Beating cancer, battling infertility, and believing in miracles
  • Heroine
  • Keeping Lucy
  • Appearances
  • Coping with Alzheimer's Disease from the Caregiver's View
  • The Life Lucy Knew
  • The Kennedy Heirs: John, Caroline, and the New Generation - A Legacy of Tragedy and Triumph
  • Debt Cleanse: How To Settle Your Unaffordable Debts For Pennies On The Dollar
  • Mayo Clinic Healthy Heart for Life!
  • The Summer We Lost Her
  • The In-Betweens: The Spiritualists, Mediums, and Legends of Camp Etna
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Santa's Secret
Aimee Ross is a nationally award-winning educator who has been a high school English teacher for the past twenty-five years and an aspiring writer for as long as she can remember. She completed her MFA in Creative Non-Fiction Writing at Ashland University in 2014, but she also dabbles in fiction and poetry. Her writing has been published on www.lifein10minutes.com, www.SixHens.Com, and in Scars: A ...more